Follow

Thunderbolt Ross

Character » Thunderbolt Ross appears in 1614 issues.

Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross is former U.S. military general. He is father of Bruce Banner's love Betty Ross and was archenemy of the Incredible Hulk. Ross made a deal with villains to be transformed into a Hulk himself. As the ruthless and cunning Red Hulk, he attempted to destroy his nemesis and take control of the country before seeking redemption as an Avenger. After leaving the team, he formed his own group of Thunderbolts with other Anti-Heroes. He was recently depowered by Doctor Green.

Redeeming Red Hulk

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kallarkz

My Opinion of Red Hulk does not include Loeb

I didn't return to comics when Loeb's was writing Red Hulk. I have seen pictures of the Beyonder being punched, him riding on S.S' board as well as him riding on Thor's hammer. My opinion of Red Hulk has not been tampered by these obviously bad written instances.

Rather I have been following the Red Hulk with Jeff Parker as a writer and to be honest I think he has been doing a good job. The stories have been great and we have seen more character development with him. Much more than Loeb was capable of doing.

When I read Red Hulk I see a "Hulk" character who has realized the pain and damage he has caused and is slowly on the road to redemption. Although he has much more to go I see him slowly beginning to change from his military view on everything into a more of a hero role and I think this is a great take on the character.

Marvel has cut down on its amount of powerhouses due to the deaths or disappearances of character such as Thor, Sentry, Blue Marvel, Wonder Man, Hercules, Juggernaut (I know Colossus holds the power but if you have been keeping up with Uncanny there appears to be a power difference between the two). I like that Marvel has brought this semi-reluctant hero into the ranks and would like to continue to see how his character develops. Although these reasons are minor for why I appreciate the character, I like how Rulk can control his transformation and also unlike the Hulk is forced to keep his anger in check due to the negative effects it can have on him if he gets too upset.

I've seen the comments. I know many people will say their opinion of RULK cannot be altered due to what Loeb did with him but I think people should give Parker a chance and check out what he has done with his character.

I too think he seemed to be an interesting villain but this reluctant hero take on him could do much more for the character.

Aquaman, Animal Man, and even Hal Jordan has been given a chance to be seen in a better light due to a new writer...I think it's Rulk's turn.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By DEGRAAF

I think Rulk, could be better and is way better than he was when he was first created but i still dont like him. He is cocky and still believes he can beat the hulk. I didnt like Ross as a human and i dont like him as a monster. He was better as the human villain trying to get his prperty back. I think the Rulk thing should have been an extended experience that eventually goes away leaving Ross weak, dying and with cancer but feeling better about himself and who he has become as well as on better terms with Banner.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dernman

For me there is nothing that can be done. 
    I'm of the opinion that only Hulk and She-Hulk should be.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

He was just beating up superheroes now he's an Avenger? That doesn't sit right with me it really doesn't. I think it's becoming far to obvious that he Avengers don't have the same integrity they once had. It's like they've learned nothing from Disassembled and Civil War..nothing.I understand he's trying to redeem himself but he hasn't spent enough time on the right side, not to mention where does that leave the Hulk himself? He was a founding Avenger...it seems kind of disrespectful to someone who is supposed to be their friend to let someone who has been trying to kill him for years be an Avenger.He should have to take his ass to the Academy.With all this said, I actually like the character I just hope they do something with him that make sense.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Dernman said:

For me there is nothing that can be done. I'm of the opinion that only Hulk and She-Hulk should be.

Yeah but i would keep Skaar around too.

@Vance Astro said:

He was just beating up superheroes now he's an Avenger? That doesn't sit right with me it really doesn't. I think it's becoming far to obvious that he Avengers don't have the same integrity they once had. It's like they've learned nothing from Disassembled and Civil War..nothing.I understand he's trying to redeem himself but he hasn't spent enough time on the right side, not to mention where does that leave the Hulk himself? He was a founding Avenger...it seems kind of disrespectful to someone who is supposed to be their friend to let someone who has been trying to kill him for years be an Avenger.He should have to take his ass to the Academy.With all this said, I actually like the character I just hope they do something with him that make sense.

Yea but to be fair he was black mailed in to be part of the Avengers after Banner talked Steve Rogers in to taking him in to do the jobs only a Hulk can do or some crap like that

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @DEGRAAF said:

@Vance Astro said:

He was just beating up superheroes now he's an Avenger? That doesn't sit right with me it really doesn't. I think it's becoming far to obvious that he Avengers don't have the same integrity they once had. It's like they've learned nothing from Disassembled and Civil War..nothing.I understand he's trying to redeem himself but he hasn't spent enough time on the right side, not to mention where does that leave the Hulk himself? He was a founding Avenger...it seems kind of disrespectful to someone who is supposed to be their friend to let someone who has been trying to kill him for years be an Avenger.He should have to take his ass to the Academy.With all this said, I actually like the character I just hope they do something with him that make sense.

Yea but to be fair he was black mailed in to be part of the Avengers after Banner talked Steve Rogers in to taking him in to do the jobs only a Hulk can do or some crap like that

That's even worse.
    Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:

- There no longer seems to be a need to writers to justify something in their books at Marvel, just do it and if none of the other characters question it, then its not a problem. If they are assuming I'm too stupid to notice, shame on them.

- Adding Red Hulk to the Avenegers, the most publicized team in the world, as a favor for Banner...no way. The potential fallout if it goes wrong makes the risk far outweigh the reward. If he was a Thunderbolt (no pun intended) for a while, then a New Avenger, then finally an Avenger, I could buy it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @WarMachineMarkV said:

@Vance Astro said:

- There no longer seems to be a need to writers to justify something in their books at Marvel, just do it and if none of the other characters question it, then its not a problem. If they are assuming I'm too stupid to notice, shame on them.

- Adding Red Hulk to the Avenegers, the most publicized team in the world, as a favor for Banner...no way. The potential fallout if it goes wrong makes the risk far outweigh the reward. If he was a Thunderbolt (no pun intended) for a while, then a New Avenger, then finally an Avenger, I could buy it.

Captain America is a leader. A natural leader. Maybe one of the best in comics. Why the hell would he listen to Banner on whom he should let on the team? This is the same guy who told Spider-Man he couldn't be an Avenger because he was inexperienced. The same guy who wouldn't let any of the original New Warriors on the team until Avenger Vol.3 because of their lack of experience..but Red Hulk? How does that make sense?
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Vance Astro said:

@DEGRAAF said:

That's even worse.

lol i didnt say it would make it any better but i think it makes more sense then him taking down the Avengers and then them just turning around and letting him on the team with out any explanation

@Vance Astro said:

@WarMachineMarkV said:

@Vance Astro said:

Captain America is a leader. A natural leader. Maybe one of the best in comics. Why the hell would he listen to Banner on whom he should let on the team? This is the same guy who told Spider-Man he couldn't be an Avenger because he was inexperienced. The same guy who wouldn't let any of the original New Warriors on the team until Avenger Vol.3 because of their lack of experience..but Red Hulk? How does that make sense?

They had some kind of fail safe in place in case he got out of line. He couldn't go back to his old life bc they supposedly buried Thunderbolt Ross so he would be a traitor to his country if anyone found out so he had no other options. If he said no to helping they were going to keep him locked away for the rest of his life. He was basically a probational secret agent for the Avengers (only Cap and Banner knew he was helping them) taking down the remaining fail safes the Intelligencia put in place in case their plan failed. So he had to go around the world taking down monsters for a while. He would occasionally run in to other Avengers members and have to fight them off as well bc they didnt know he was part of the team.

As for experience, Cap justified it by stating how much general Ross wanted to be a hero and hated being a dishonorable hero to his country so he could trust him. Also General Ross was in a normal state of mind and not bizerk like Hulk (banner) so he didnt have to worry about that and he knew general Ross was a skilled tactician and well trained soldier with decades of experience. So while he didnt have experience as a super hero he was a trained soldier with lots of experience, now just with the power of a hulk.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @DEGRAAF said:

lol i didnt say it would make it any better but i think it makes more sense then him taking down the Avengers and then them just turning around and letting him on the team with out any explanation

I figured they would explain it some way,but it could be nothing less than a cop out. 

@DEGRAAF said:

They had some kind of fail safe in place in case he got out of line. He couldn't go back to his old life bc they supposedly buried Thunderbolt Ross so he would be a traitor to his country if anyone found out so he had no other options. If he said no to helping they were going to keep him locked away for the rest of his life. He was basically a probational secret agent for the Avengers (only Cap and Banner knew he was helping them) taking down the remaining fail safes the Intelligencia put in place in case their plan failed. So he had to go around the world taking down monsters for a while. He would occasionally run in to other Avengers members and have to fight them off as well bc they didnt know he was part of the team.

As for experience, Cap justified it by stating how much general Ross wanted to be a hero and hated being a dishonorable hero to his country so he could trust him. Also General Ross was in a normal state of mind and not bizerk like Hulk (banner) so he didnt have to worry about that and he knew general Ross was a skilled tactician and well trained soldier with decades of experience. So while he didnt have experience as a super hero he was a trained soldier with lots of experience, now just with the power of a hulk.

Well I would assume that he wouldn't go back to his old life because that wouldn't make any sense but if he wanted to "redeem" himself. I don't see why he couldn't have just been a solo hero instead of being an Avenger. It just seems becoming a member of that team at this point isn't even an honor it's just something awarded to a character just because they are around. You're right, he wasn't berserk when he did all the things that he did. He was in his normal state of mind so I don't really see how the other Avengers are just cool with him after the things he did. When Shadowland happened I completely understood the Avengers forgiving Daredevil afterwards..because he was possessed.It would just seems to me that certain Avenger would have a left over grudge.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Vance Astro said:

Well I would assume that he wouldn't go back to his old life because that wouldn't make any sense but if he wanted to "redeem" himself. I don't see why he couldn't have just been a solo hero instead of being an Avenger. It just seems becoming a member of that team at this point isn't even an honor it's just something awarded to a character just because they are around. You're right, he wasn't berserk when he did all the things that he did. He was in his normal state of mind so I don't really see how the other Avengers are just cool with him after the things he did. When Shadowland happened I completely understood the Avengers forgiving Daredevil afterwards..because he was possessed.It would just seems to me that certain Avenger would have a left over grudge.

I didnt mean he wasnt berserk when he tore thru the heroes of Marvel but your right but he claims to have been tricked in to it c he was trying to stop his country from being taken over by "so called heroes" that do damage and get people accidently killed but arent held responsible. By the end of that arc he was the thing he hated and finally got a better understanding of being a super hero so he doesnt hate them any more. Also Captain America allowed him on the team but i think even now his teammates dislike him and or hold a grudge against him

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OmegaHans

His whole existence is just a bad idea that continues to linger like a fart in an elevator.

They should have made A-Bomb (Rick Jones) a member instead. I really don't understand current Avengers books these days.

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By Maki_P

I have a profound love for Red Hulk (I read Loeb's work after I had fallen for Parker's stories); right now I can name him my favorite hero, and I really enjoy his journey for redemption. I don't understand why is he with the Avengers now; however. He tried to take over the country with the help of a group of supervillains, he spent like a decade (comic book time) chasing the Hulk who is considered a good guy by the Superhero community (okay, most of them don't know that, but Cap does). Makes no sense to me for him to be there, also I think they make him a bit stupid in Avengers.

Actually I hope Red Hulk's place in the Avengers screws the relationship on the team (starting with the fact that no one knows who he is, and goes from there)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.