Follow

Thunderbolt Ross

Character » Thunderbolt Ross appears in 1614 issues.

Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross is former U.S. military general. He is father of Bruce Banner's love Betty Ross and was archenemy of the Incredible Hulk. Ross made a deal with villains to be transformed into a Hulk himself. As the ruthless and cunning Red Hulk, he attempted to destroy his nemesis and take control of the country before seeking redemption as an Avenger. After leaving the team, he formed his own group of Thunderbolts with other Anti-Heroes. He was recently depowered by Doctor Green.

Red Hulks Powers?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEGRAAF

Does Red Hulk still have the ability to absorb energies and radiation?

After the fall of the intelligencia Banner took Ross's ability to absorb surrounding energies away bc they found out it was eventually going to kill him. Can someone please clarify this for me?

All i keep hearing is that he can absorb energy still which should be a false statement.

No Caption Provided

Red Hulk draining Banner of his Gamma energy

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kidchipotle

I'm pretty sure he can absorb energy. Maybe not all types of energies he usually was able too..

Zhakaraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zhakaraz

can he change back into human form?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kidchipotle

@Zhakaraz: I don't think he ever could

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEGRAAF

@ArturoCalaKayVee: @Zhakaraz:

Yes, he can change bcak if he wanted to but the problem is no one besides Banner and Betty seem to know who he truely is. Everyone else in the world seem to think Thunderbolt Ross is dead so if he ever came out and told everyone it would prove that he went against his counrtry and helped terrorist attack his country and he would be court marshalled or something. they said all he has left his his reputatio and that reputation mean more then anything to him so he refuses to let it be tarnished.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

He cannot absorb energy any more. His Red Hulk state was unstable because of it and it would have killed him. Banner removed the ability.

I know Betty can only change back when she is scared. I have seen Ross turn back as well, but I forget the circumstances.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kidchipotle

@DEGRAAF: Ahh, okay makes sense. Thanks

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DEGRAAF

@jloneblackheart: Thank you i knew i wasnt going crazy. Anyways i guess they have given him that ability back because i keep hearing he is absorbing energy. Also i have seen Betty change back and forth without being scared. When Fall of the Hulks ended she was walking around as Betty and didnt change to Red She-Hulk until Banner irritated her. She seems to be able to switch back and forth at will like Jen Walters

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @DEGRAAF Looks like, as usual, fans are paying more attention than the writers and editors. Betty said she could only change when scared in the new Defenders (Fraction, go figure) and I know for sure that Bruce removed Ross's energy absorption at the end of World War Hulks
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DEGRAAF

@jloneblackheart: Yea i remember readin that Bruce took it away bc i couldnt have been more excited about it lol. I tried finding a scan of it to post but came up with nothing.

I didnt read the defenders but yea that definitely wasnt the case for her in Incredible Hulks

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

Does he get stronger when he gets madder?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Gambit1024: no, he gets hotter like a nuclear reactor when it exerts more energy. But if he gets to hot he gets dizzy

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CATPANEXE

I had to re-read a few issues. Anyways, there's been comics since World War Hulks, currently/at the time I'm posting this however:

- Power Drain:

Red Hulk retained this ability after WWHS. He can drain energy/ect. He used this on Omegex in Hulk #40. If he uses it to too great a degree, he runs the risk of trapping himself in Red Hulk form forever. But not of losing the ability. He has used it to an extreme degree and not suffered the ill effects yet.

- Change form:

Red Hulk initially chose not to return to human form as Ross was a known terrorist at the time for his attempt to take over the US. The writers quickly abandoned that notion. Next, Ross's enemy General Fortean injected him with nanotechnology that would kill him in human form, so he again chose not to revert. This also was written out now and Ross found a way to compromise the nanotechs.

Red Hulk currently retains his original power set, with a minor tweak/limitation to the power drain aspect, which is he can but has a psychological issue with using the ability for fear of being trapped as a Hulk. More noted is that writers are apt to change any of these boundaries, and the likelihood A.) as a Hulk, he shares the ability to evolve past weakness and B.) Banner nor Ross fully comprehend the designs of MODOK and there's more to it.

@jloneblackheart said:

@DEGRAAF Looks like, as usual, fans are paying more attention than the writers and editors. Betty said she could only change when scared in the new Defenders (Fraction, go figure) and I know for sure that Bruce removed Ross's energy absorption at the end of World War Hulks

No, writers paid attention. It's just that the writers have written more plot since World War Hulks, which was over a year ago now and then under Loeb and Red Hulk has been written by Parker now for some time. Betty Ross changes from Red She-Hulk to Betty when she's frightened enough to the best of my own knowledge and it's just a version of emotional powering down like the Hulk himself has, and that was a recent development in the Defenders book, though she has been reverted to human form do to being lethally attacked prior. She still changes from Betty to Red She Hulk by becoming enraged.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DocFatalis

Nope, still got his absorption powers.

At one point Banner made him believe they were gone, but he had to reveal the truth and let Ross use his powers during a moderately successful mission to thwart the post mortem plans of MODOK and his allies.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By fesak  Moderator

I still mad because his moustache disappears when he turns into Hulk.

No Caption Provided
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @CATPANEXE@DocFatalis I stopped reading after WWHS so I was just going with DEGRAAF that I remembered them being removed.

And Jeff Parker might be paying attention, but I doubt Fraction is :P
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DEGRAAF

It doesnt surprise me that they gave them back to him. They had to find some cop out way of letting him get stronger. Also it seperates him a little bit from being a total Original Hulk copy. I wish Incredible Hulk would just shove his fist through Red Hulks chest and tear out his heart already. Even that probably wouldnt kill him but if would at least be something worth watching that starred the red hulk

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By z3ro180

@ArturoCalaKayVee: is the red hulk a seprate personality or is it ross still in controll??

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kidchipotle

@Z3RO180: Ross is 100% in control

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Gambit1024

So in his Avengers EMH appearance, he has fire manipulation... Can he really do that?

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@Gambit1024:

He generates extreme heat that engulfs him in fire. He can't control it like Pyro can. Although he has gone mad enough to breath fire at times, just not enough to turn him into a red skinned Fin Fang Foom. I dunno if he has reached the level of anger to generate heat waves, but it's certainly possible he can.

He can also melt his way through any form of metal outside of Adamantium. He wasn't able to do so when he was first jailed because Gamma Base is a Hulk prison built to contain a fully enraged Green Hulk. Ergo, no amount of heat would be enough to let him escape.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.