Follow

Thunderbolt Ross

Character » Thunderbolt Ross appears in 1614 issues.

Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross is former U.S. military general. He is father of Bruce Banner's love Betty Ross and was archenemy of the Incredible Hulk. Ross made a deal with villains to be transformed into a Hulk himself. As the ruthless and cunning Red Hulk, he attempted to destroy his nemesis and take control of the country before seeking redemption as an Avenger. After leaving the team, he formed his own group of Thunderbolts with other Anti-Heroes. He was recently depowered by Doctor Green.

Red Hulk = Bendis' New Sentry? (Avengers #8 Spoilers)

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#1  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

First off I want to make this clear that I in no way hate the Red Hulk or any of the things Jeph Loeb has been doing with him in the past few years, I personally like the character and what Marvel has been doing with him (up until recently that is).

[NOTE: SPOILERS BELOW For Anyone Who Hasn't Read Avengers #8!!!!!!!]

As most people already know, Red Hulk is to join the Avengers, apparently replacing Captain America (Barnes) who is randomly missing from the book (obviously for his trail, but they never even mention this in the actual book, but I won't rant about that....but it is annoying). Anyways....I want to talk about how Bendis has found a very random and random way to bring the Red Hulk into his Avengers book, and how logically he should even be here if you read this issue and see where things don't really line up, and how it feels like Bendis just wants another overly powered character on his to team even though you've already got Thor who smacked Galactus right up side the head.

But getting to the issue, in Avengers #7, The Hood has started a search into collect the Infinity Gems and gain a whole new set of powers after losing his powers once again during Siege, during this, The Hood randomly appears in the desert and finds none other than...that's right, Red Hulk, and as #8 fills us in, the two have a short battle with Red Hulk being over powered. Now my first point I would like to make is that Red Hulk has been brought into the team because they "the Avengers are going to need all the help they can get" but as we can obviously see, the Red Hulk got his butt handed to him and The Hood only had TWO gems, not even all of them, so my question is, what freakin' help is he going to be to the Avengers?

Secondly, after this, Hulk comes crashing through Avengers Tower, weak and beat up, Bendis did this for dramatic affect which in truth, wasn't really needed and also made very little sense when you think about it, Red Hulk states that he was in Death Valley when he was attacked, and that he came to the Avengers to warn them, my problem with this is that if he was SO hurt, how the heck was he able to get all the way from Death Valley to New York City, not to mention jumping to the top of Avengers Tower. Now of course this can all be talked away by saying that he had no where else to go he was along and thought it was the right thing to do, which in truth it was until we find out that the reason he was in that desert was because he had been living there at a secret gamma base working for Steve Rogers (as seen in the current Hulk series). Now where things don't make sense is that if Hulk had just been beaten to a pulp, and had the energy to make it ALL THE WAY to New York City, why the heck didn't he just go to the base he's been living at in the current Hulk series, contact Steve Rogers, and have HIM alert the Avengers? Answer: Because Bendis was writing it.

The point I'm trying to make is that Bendis brought in Red Hulk for in truth, No Reason. As Bendis has stated in interview about the whole thing, he was at some kind of retreat and was like "Hey, let's put Red Hulk, yeah, y'know, the bad guy who attacked the White House...yeah, that guy, on the AVENGERS, no, not the Secret Avengers, not the Thunderbolts, THE Avengers, who are  now known as Bendis' Mightiest Heroes." He stated that the Avengers are known for having villains who want to turn over a new leaf, which in truth is true with bringing up people like Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Wonder Man, but what he fails to mention is that this was BEFORE the Thunderbolts program was created, and makes completely no sense what so every to have Red Hulk on the Avengers because if he's trying to "redeem" himself, then he should be placed on the Thunderbolts and earn his place....y'know like Songbird has been doing since...oh I don't know, FOREVER. Point is, Bendis killed off Sentry, and now has brought in Red Hulk into a team who already have Thor AND Iron Man, not to mention Wolverine , and has given us this random reason to place him on the team which in truth makes absolutely no sense when you put it together and seems to only be because Bendis said, "I want Sentr--I mean, Red Hulk, and I want him NOW!" and guess what? Marvel gave him to him.

So my question for everyone now is: What do you think of Red Hulk joining the Avengers? Do you agree with what I've said or do you disagree? If so, how come? Have I missed something completely and are wrong about this entirely? OR do you have your own opinions that you would like to put out there as to why you do/don't like what Bendis is doing with what is suppose to be Marvel's top superhero team book?
    BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

All I have to say is bye bye Red Hulk, we knew you very well...

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Theodore

nice rant

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Theworldbreaker

for the reason i thinkits just flat out stupid, I'll wait for Avengers three.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Gambit1024
    @War Killer said:
    What do you think of Red Hulk joining the Avengers? Do you agree with what I've said or do you disagree? If so, how come? Have I missed something completely and are wrong about this entirely? OR do you have your own opinions that you would like to put out there as to why you do/don't like what Bendis is doing with what is suppose to be Marvel's top superhero team book? "
    I don't think much of it at all. Rulk has no business being on any teams period. The only reason they decided to put him on  the team is for publicity. I agree with  a majority of what you said. Bendis has become an absolute moron and he really needs to stop writing the Avengers. Disassembled was fine, House of M was peachy, hell even Secret Invasion was ok, but ever since the disaster that was Dark Reign/Siege only to have it end with what the Avengers had BEFORE Bendis even started writing the book was a stupid move. And what he did to Sentry was completely uncalled for. He took a character who had some HUGE potential and turned him into the biggest p*ssy on the planet. And instead of trying to fix that, he killed him off. Just like that. The very idea that the man is STILL writing these books is alarming to me because I really can't take more of him f*cking up my favorite characters.  

Oh and on a side note, John Romita Jr. has to get the heck out too. His art is terrible in this book. 
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Gambit1024 said:
    "
    @War Killer said:
    What do you think of Red Hulk joining the Avengers? Do you agree with what I've said or do you disagree? If so, how come? Have I missed something completely and are wrong about this entirely? OR do you have your own opinions that you would like to put out there as to why you do/don't like what Bendis is doing with what is suppose to be Marvel's top superhero team book? "
    I don't think much of it at all. Rulk has no business being on any teams period. The only reason they decided to put him on  the team is for publicity. I agree with  a majority of what you said. Bendis has become an absolute moron and he really needs to stop writing the Avengers. Disassembled was fine, House of M was peachy, hell even Secret Invasion was ok, but ever since the disaster that was Dark Reign/Siege only to have it end with what the Avengers had BEFORE Bendis even started writing the book was a stupid move. And what he did to Sentry was completely uncalled for. He took a character who had some HUGE potential and turned him into the biggest p*ssy on the planet. And instead of trying to fix that, he killed him off. Just like that. The very idea that the man is STILL writing these books is alarming to me because I really can't take more of him f*cking up my favorite characters.  
     Oh and on a side note, John Romita Jr. has to get the heck out too. His art is terrible in this book.  "
    I agree, it's time for Bendis to freakin' move on already. Like you pointed out, his stories were okay at the beginning, but now? It's time to pass the book to someone else with fresh ideas and are willing to take the team into a new direction. It just feels like Bendis has simply put Red Hulk on the team for the sake that he's "SO" powerful, I mean they already have Thor AND Iron Man, it's not like they needed anymore powerhouses, so really, what other reason could there be?

And I've hated the art since issue one, I find it sad to since I was looking at scans of his from Spider-Man issues and it just shows that he just sucks at drawing now, maybe it's him rushing it or something but that still doesn't get past the fact that when Maria Hill pops up on a page and the readers are left wondering if she's a guy or a girl it's time to get your artwork back in order.

@Theodore said:
    " nice rant "
    Thanks xD The issues just really bugged me a lot after reading it yesterday.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Theodore

JRJR's art works in some books but not in Avengers

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gambit1024
    @War Killer: And lets not forget that most of the members on BOTH of his Avengers team shouldn't be on there. Spider-Man, Wolverine, Rulk, Thing, and Luke Cage (who shouldn't lead a team like this) shouldn't be Avengers period. The Avengers has gone from "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" to "Marvel's More Popular Heroes in one book with no plot with terrible artwork and no heart". If Bendis loves Cage so much then he should do a solo book on him and stay away from the good characters. Why he stripped Dr. Strange of his title and gave it to Boring (sorry) BROTHER Voodoo is beyond me. Why he felt the need to kill off Hawkeye, Ant Man, Wasp, Loki, Ares, Sentry, and Vision, totally DESTROY Scarlet Witch, and turn Hank Pym (one of my favorite characters) into a skrull is absolutely mind boggling.  

If I had the chance to get a new writer, I'd go with Mark Waid.  I really liked what he did in his FF run and I think the man's really talented with team books. Who would you choose? 

@Theodore: Agreed. I liked him when he did Spider-Man 
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

KILL.
    HIM.
    OFF.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Gambit1024: Well I personally like Spidey and Wolverine on the team, but their also two of my favorite characters so I guess it's the same as them being Marvel's top superheroes, but that's just my opinion, lol

I'd personally like to see Dan Slott give the Avengers another go, his Mighty Avengers was a favorite of mine and I think he could make the series fun and inviting, not cluttered with event storylines after event but with fun stories that make the reader actually enjoy paying $3.99 a month. I'd also like to see Terry Dodson do the art, even though I know most people will probably disagree with me from the reviews and comments I've read when he was on Uncanny X-Men, I'd still like to see him do some other titles since I actually enjoy his artwork.
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By turoksonofstone

I disagree completely. Red Hulk/Thunderbolt Ross is a ASSET to the Avengers, and to Marvel Comics. A more compelling and intelligent Hulk is what Marvel has always been Missing. Of course Anyone with two gems is going to kick Hulk's/The Avengers ass. It's also nice to see that Someone at Marvel recognizes the Massive potential of the character. Bendis's Avengers has been OK. Not enjoying the Art at all.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gambit1024
    @War Killer: Ok, fair enough, lol 

Dodson would be pretty good for this. I liked his X-Men and he draws a pretty mean Spidey
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrinceIMC

If Bruce Banner is in control of his Hulk self wouldn't it make more sense for him to join the Avengers? He was a founder.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @turoksonofstone said:
    " I disagree completely. Red Hulk/Thunderbolt Ross is a ASSET to the Avengers, and to Marvel Comics. A more compelling and intelligent Hulk is what Marvel has always been Missing. Of course Anyone with two gems is going to kick Hulk's/The Avengers ass. It's also nice to see that Someone at Marvel recognizes the Massive potential of the character. Bendis's Avengers has been OK. Not enjoying the Art at all. "

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " KILL. HIM. OFF. "
    I agree, Bendis needs to die.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " KILL. HIM. OFF. "
    I agree, Bendis needs to die. "
    LMAO
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @turoksonofstone said:
    " I disagree completely. Red Hulk/Thunderbolt Ross is a ASSET to the Avengers, and to Marvel Comics. A more compelling and intelligent Hulk is what Marvel has always been Missing. Of course Anyone with two gems is going to kick Hulk's/The Avengers ass. It's also nice to see that Someone at Marvel recognizes the Massive potential of the character. Bendis's Avengers has been OK. Not enjoying the Art at all. "

"
    InnerVenom has a point, currently the green Hulk is both intelligent and retains his strength, would actually make more sense to have him on the team that Ross.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#18  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Gambit1024 said:
    "@War Killer: And lets not forget that most of the members on BOTH of his Avengers team shouldn't be on there. Spider-Man, Wolverine, Rulk, Thing, and Luke Cage (who shouldn't lead a team like this) shouldn't be Avengers period. The Avengers has gone from "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" to "Marvel's More Popular Heroes in one book with no plot with terrible artwork and no heart". If Bendis loves Cage so much then he should do a solo book on him and stay away from the good characters. Why he stripped Dr. Strange of his title and gave it to Boring (sorry) BROTHER Voodoo is beyond me. Why he felt the need to kill off Hawkeye, Ant Man, Wasp, Loki, Ares, Sentry, and Vision, totally DESTROY Scarlet Witch, and turn Hank Pym (one of my favorite characters) into a skrull is absolutely mind boggling.  

If I had the chance to get a new writer, I'd go with Mark Waid.  I really liked what he did in his FF run and I think the man's really talented with team books. Who would you choose? 

@Theodore: Agreed. I liked him when he did Spider-Man  "

@Gambit1024:
    really?cuz none of those characters are mighty? 

spidey deserves a spot on the avengers more than Ares or Quicksilver ever did 

but yeah i would prefer it if these characters could just stick to one team at a time, 2 if really vital
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19  Edited By SC  Moderator

I am not a Bendis fan (go Slott)  

I am not a Rulk fan (ain't no thang but a chicken wing, you know what I mean...)  

I get it though, least I feel like I get it, Why wouldn't I? You don't, I do, thats it right? Maybe? I guess. <-- See, I even like to take the mickey out of him lol, Bendis is the king of the casual comic fan, and there are a lot more casual comic fans than you and me. Casual fans like his style, and Bendis doesn't really compromise, and he seems to really have fun and enjoy how he writes the book, making fun of 'minor' characters (D-Man's alright, imagine a writer treating Jewel or Cage the same way tho lol), gags, moments played for jokes, despite contradicting Marvel history (yeah Bucky, steal OG Torches badass moment of glory) and so on. He is a plot and dialogue writer. His characters are quippy. Again though, the way he employs his style, it works. I enjoy Avengers even though I think it could be way better. I doubt it could sell better than now though...  

Red Hulk continues this fun and fast Bendis style and method. New powers, new characters, new looks, fake outs, reveals, flashbacks, arguments, back and forward commentary, focusing and having fun of characters idiosyncrasies. Tis the Bendis way. Other writers styles I dislike even more... Loeb for example. Like Bendis but even less subtle, even more cliche, and usually female characters come off... weird. Oh and the action is even more inconsistent and obscene. Fun kinda... but well silly.  

Anyway, Bendis won't be stopped unless he wants to, or we gather the 8 pieces of the Medallion, connect them and summon the Anti Bendis. OR we get David Mamet to sue him.  Best I can hope for is that Bendis picks up the habits of some of my other favorite writers, shifts his style around a little,... (he writes a badass powerful Thor and confirmed that when Thor doesn't hold back he kills, and it was Thor that kills whoever he wants bwhahaha, but yea, perfect for me personally from the days he opened canned heat by saying Ares would beat up Thor) OR... casual comic fans, start embracing writers like Dan Slott (MIGHTY FTW) or PAD or McCann, Gage? Or IDK, the writers you guys like, 

Vermis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vermis

Big Rulk fan here.  Will anyone here think less of me if I say I started buying the Avengers because he was joining?  But excellent post, War Killer.  I've read the first couple of Rulk-inclusive issues and he's really badly shoehorned in.  And barely any more than a few throwaway lines and a slot in a crowd shot.

Thunderbolts, now... First off, I feel an immense sense of geeky/perverse pleasure at the thought of Thunderbolt Ross on the Thunderbolts team.  Secondly, he's a supervillain guilty of treason, now under SHIELD custody and supervision in order to redress the damage he's done and to limit further threats from any source.  He's practically a Thunderbolt already.  Thirdly, he's a three-star Air Force general - or was.  I don't know if he's been stripped of that rank.  At any rate, the point is he should have immense experience in working or fighting with a government-sanctioned team.  Fourthly, Jeff Parker's been doing a wonderful job with him on Hulk, and guess which other title he's currently writing?

Thing is, there's the same problem as the Avengers.  The Thunderbolts already have Juggy.  Do they need another giant, cranky, ex-military, nigh-unstoppable heavy-hitter?  Probably not.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.