Off My Mind: Waiting For Answers In Comics

• 63 results
#51 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man, you have the best job ever.

#52 Posted by Squigiman (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello, 
   I just signed up for an account just to post on this topic.  Though I never read the Hobgoblin stuff, I can image the big difference between the 14 year wait on that and the 2+ year wait on Rulk is, as enthusiastically expressed in the video, is that the stories were GOOD.  The wait was painful on Hulk because we kept shilling out the $2.99 (then $3.99) for crap, and the whole hook they had going was the mystery, with pretty much no pay off. 

The whole book was basically "Look at this new Hulk!  He's red!  He's a badass!".  Each issue was Ed McGuiness' nice art and Jeph Loeb arrogantly showing us how great this Hulk was and that he could somehow beat down every other character in the Marvel Universe.  He was lame, his reveal was way too late to be worth following the crappy stories, and it was a cop-out, as Ross had been shown being let down in Rulk, in a very early appearance, and from what I've heard, the old "it was an LMD" catch-all has been used to explain away such instances. 

Again, though I didn't read it, I'm sure the Hobgoblin mystery, even at 7 times longer, was at least a thousand times more satisfying.  With Wolvie, he was not hiding his identity behind a mask or alternate form, he just didn't know his true past, and it was different, and it was the good kind of air of mystery and darkness that has worked with him and the likes of Boba Fett.  In the end, I don't think most of fandom was mad at not "getting an answer" in this case, though we all wondered.  Still, in the end, I think most were satisfied, based on the quality of the storytelling, as that's what it all really comes down to.  Except, of course, for making Logan/Howlett a whiny little sissy boy as some sort of irony for him becoming a badass killing machine later in life.  That and not committing to making Dog definitively Sabretooth's true origin, too. 

-Squigiman

#53 Posted by howlett76 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

there is really no limit on how long is too long all just depends on personal opinion   can't please everyone,    personally i liked the not knowing  wolverine's past  and the "rulk" mystery....

#54 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

people r imp@tient n bitchy, I dont c@re how long it tkes to reve@l @n identity. @s long, @s the story getting to the truth is @wesome most of the time (except red hulk BLEH BULLSH!T CONCEPT N STORY IS BOOOOOOOORING!!!) thts @ll I c@re bout.

#55 Posted by Trodorne (2572 posts) - - Show Bio

Id say if you can smoke screen and miss lead people long enough i would say 5-7 years. that would be a good length of a mystery. I mean i am still a fan of the red hulk. and if anything i appreciate his character more now with how he is being put to use.

#56 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio

Could have gone the rest of my life without the reveal of the Red Hulk's identity.
#57 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes mysteries should only last as long as the storyline they are in. And sometimes they should last a little while. I like how the Batman mystery from RIP spanned out over the 2 years it has been going on. All the little tidbits are really quite awesome.

#58 Edited by NightFang (9876 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it depends on the secret, but it should be reveled in six mouths or a year. 

#59 Posted by kitsuneconundrum (208 posts) - - Show Bio

its more than just pretty pictures? my mind is blown!

#60 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

WHAT HAPPENED WITH MARY JANE's BABY?

#61 Posted by godzillafanboy666 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

5 years

#62 Posted by Comicjew (164 posts) - - Show Bio

Idiot, 14 years is too long!
#63 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

love the ending!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.