Follow

Thunderbolt Ross

Character » Thunderbolt Ross appears in 1614 issues.

Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross is former U.S. military general. He is father of Bruce Banner's love Betty Ross and was archenemy of the Incredible Hulk. Ross made a deal with villains to be transformed into a Hulk himself. As the ruthless and cunning Red Hulk, he attempted to destroy his nemesis and take control of the country before seeking redemption as an Avenger. After leaving the team, he formed his own group of Thunderbolts with other Anti-Heroes. He was recently depowered by Doctor Green.

No General Ross In Iron Man 2 Or Thor?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Remember that cool scene in The Incredible Hulk when General Thunderbolt Ross was in a bar and Tony Stark came in? He told him that they were assembling a "team." It was a nice cameo that hinted at the larger 'universe' in the movie and helped set up possible future crossovers. It turns out that scene was improved. No lines had been written for the encounter. 

Collider recently spoke to actor William Hurt about whether or not he'd be appearing as Ross in either Iron Man 2 or Thor. It turns out he is set to appear in either. He did say that "if they call me, I'll answer." 

This isn't really a surprise, now that I think about it. Jon Favreau did mention via Twitter that Iron Man 2 takes place before The Incredible Hulk. Perhaps Thor does as well. With the mention of the super soldier program in Hulk, maybe there's a chance we'll see Ross pop up in The First Avenger: Captain America and The Avengers (if Hulk does appear in it). 

Do you think Ross should have a cameo in either Iron Man 2 or Thor? Do you think we'll see any other cameos?
    welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By welshguy

Hopefully we'll have a cameo of Hurt in either movie. These little cameos are what builds up the bigger universe and it would be stupid not to use them as such

AndyKeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AndyKeel

I hate general Ross!

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I think cameos whether u like the guy or not, help tie the universe together... it would be good to have him if it follows the timeline.
    Alphaproto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Alphaproto

I second what welshguy and They Killed Cap said.  
    This is what makes the Marvel movies better then the DC movies.
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Ya I dont see him being in these movies, but I see him being in the Avengers movie even if Hulk isn't in it. My concern is that I hope Bettie Ross will be in Avengers.

The Director to Hulk has stated many times that the last scene of hulk where Ross and Stark are talking is the first scene to the avengers movie. So it would make scence that hes not in Iron man 2 or Thor. Then again it could be cool if the army is in any scene in either movie might be cool for him to be even in the back ground barking orders.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By goldenkey

That just sucks.  I actually though Sam Elliot was the perfect General Ross even tho some people just hated the first Hulk movie, but William Hurt did a fine job I might say.  His line about "You always were such nice suits" was a great one also.  I don't know what approach they want to take with the Hulk, but they should have Ross in it just because cameos are cool as hell.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By goldenkey

Oh wait,   I wasn't thinking.  I can understand Ross not being in Thor or Iron Man 2, but they didn't say he wouldn't be in The Avengers.  Maybe he'll be in that.
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cmaprice

I had a problem with that scene. It felt so incredibly tacked on. Tony Stark and General Ross in some POS bar? Tony comes to Ross about Banner joining the Avengers? And apart from that, the "end scene" of the film, where Banner smiles at the screen deviously, about to transform into the Hulk. It all betrays the awesomeness of the first half hour of the film (after which point, I feel it has a steep dropoff in quality)

It would have been so much easier and more fitting if Stark showed up at Banner's new hideout while he was meditating. Stark gives him an ultimatum to join SHIELD. Banner feels threatened by this. The two have a brief, yet tense exchange while Stark says something snarky. Banner's eyes go green, cut to black.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Moomin123

I wonder if Ross will be like a kid or something in the Captain America film, or a private in the army.
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By the_fallen11
    Didn't  jon favreau  Say that Incredible Hulk takes place AFTER Iron Man 1&2? So I wouldn’t make sense for him to be in it.    
    MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MemnochZERO

I think you could draw conclusions about why Stark went to visit Ross over Banner himself. One, from the opening credits (and other actual scenes in the film) the technology used against the Hulk by Ross is provided by Stark, so they would have occasion to interact. Two, it was a friendly reminder the Hulk/Banner could be useful to the Avengers and Ross doesn't need to scare him off but bring him closer. It also makes more sense going to a high ranking General to talk about the building of a "super team" over a fugitive.
    Also, while I love Sam Elliot (the best cast actor in that first film) I actually feel William Hurt is the better actor (by a long shot) and was a better General Ross. Hopefully he DOES play a part in the Avengers film at least.
    Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd
    @cmaprice: Dude you should take up scriptwriting.. that ould have been SO much better an ending.. even tho i liked the one Favreau did anyway
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By sora_thekey

Nah! 

We got a Nick Fury Cameo (COOL!) 
    A Tony Stark Cameo (AWESOME) 

Ross is not that big a deal.... 

I still perfer a Hawkeye cameo or a Wasp, or even a Hank Pym cameo!
    Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@the_fallen11 said:
    " Didn't  jon favreau  Say that Incredible Hulk takes place AFTER Iron Man 1&2? So I wouldn’t make sense for him to be in it.     "
    well they could have some sort of way to intorduce Ross and Tony, because it seemed that they knew each other at the End of Inc hulk
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jefprice

Jon said via Twitter that the movies were being released in the order of the timeline for the story and that PARTS of Iron Man 2 took place before Incredible Hulk

gonzooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gonzooo

I could see a cameo by Hank pym being a scientist, does anyone know if the movie antman is in the same universe as these?

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cmaprice
    @THEBlaqueBasterd:  Good to hear, since that's what I do! ;)

Went to film school for writing, directing, editing, and producing. Currently working on pre-production for a film and web series, as well as scripting a graphic novel I'd like to release next year.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By InnerVenom123

Unless they put a notice in Iron Man 2 that says  "**This story takes place before  The Incredible Hulk "

Then I'm sure that mainstream audiences will be pretty confused. That would be cool to see a comic book style panel that said that before the movie started though. And its narrated by Stan, so he gets TWO cameos! Ta-da!
    AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AngeTheDude

Sam Elliot was much better as General Ross. 

Frak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Frak
    @cmaprice said:
    " I had a problem with that scene. It felt so incredibly tacked on. Tony Stark and General Ross in some POS bar? Tony comes to Ross about Banner joining the Avengers? And apart from that, the "end scene" of the film, where Banner smiles at the screen deviously, about to transform into the Hulk. It all betrays the awesomeness of the first half hour of the film (after which point, I feel it has a steep dropoff in quality)  It would have been so much easier and more fitting if Stark showed up at Banner's new hideout while he was meditating. Stark gives him an ultimatum to join SHIELD. Banner feels threatened by this. The two have a brief, yet tense exchange while Stark says something snarky. Banner's eyes go green, cut to black. "
    I agree with you 100%.

I had no problem with the General Ross/Tony Stark scene in the bar - I just think it should have been at the end of the movie AFTER the credits, not before. The movie should have ended with the previous scene - Banner's eyes going green, cut to black.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bruce Vain

So it's not a definite then.
    Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd
    @AngeTheDude: So true, he was actually perfect for the role, one of the best pieces of comic book movie casting bar RDJ for Iron Man IMHO

Funnily enuff if they ever do a Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Movie... he's ALSO be THE perfect General Shepherd 
    Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Gothic Storm

Meh, no big deal. Tony visited Gen. Ross in the Hulk movie and not the other way around, people. If you think not having Gen. Ross (who is almost exclusive to the Hulk "universe" of characters) in Iron Man 2 is a big deal then you really need to get over yourselves. Now, if Nick Fury didn't have a part (in I2) THEN I would be worried! Yeah, not having Gen. Ross in the sequel is not a big deal. I'd rather Marvel spend the money for a Hawkeye or Henry Pym cameo anyway!!!

simsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By simsey

i think it would be good n helps the films n what there building to hav a better feel to it i think
    spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By spystreak

what that sucks oh well as long as Fury  has a cameo it'll make up for it
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

Give him a cameo.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

agreed with anyone about Sam as the better Ross.

i really dont care if he is in Iron Man 2, Avengers, Captain America or Thor.
    he has no place in those stories. he already had his needed cameo in one.
    he really didnt appear in most of these characters books, much less had any real
    impact on their stories, as he is a Hulk character.

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#28  Edited By HaloKing343

He should definitally be in it but I think its stupid that they're putting Iron Man 2 B4 Hulk.
    Avatar image for heroic_warrior76
    heroic_warrior76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By heroic_warrior76

I don't think he is as hot as he is just like in the old days, in the old days a lot of fans are happy to see General "Thunderbolt" Ross and his American Military Men is harassing "The Incredible Hulk" these days Hulk villains like "The Leader" and "The Abomination" are what comic book readers and fans really like the Hulk to take out.

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By grimreaper1980

they should show a news clip of spider-man webslinging through the city

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By TheMess1428

They don't need Ross for the crossover. Thor should just come to Midgard at the end of the movie and meet Hulk. Forget Ross.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.