gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

I love it when a comic can offer a good mystery. In today's age, major plot points and directions for comics are often revealed in advance. With this new volume of THOR, we've seen that the Thor we all knew is no longer worthy of wielding Mjolnir. A "mysterious woman" somehow made her way to the moon where Mjolnir landed and upon touching it, came into possession of the power of Thor. And we have no idea who she is.

What makes this new Goddess interesting is her reaction to gaining the power and how her thoughts and speech are different. This is something that really fascinates me. While part of me would love to find out who she is right away, another part could see enjoying this mystery building up into something nice and spicy. Whoever she is, she does have some knowledge of Mjolnir and Asgardian ways but also seems a little more...human. It's such a conundrum as to where she could have come from. You'll be reading each line or thought she has carefully to try to pick up on any possible clues.

Russell Dauterman's art is simply amazing. Combined with Matthew Wilson's colors and Joe Sabino's fancy lettering. You always have to admire when Asgardian lettering is required and I the way the sound FX is being incorporated into the art is really cool.

This book is rising to the top of my reading list.

The Bad

It's understandable that the hardcore Thor fans wouldn't be happy with their favorite character being replaced by another. This is a common theme we're seeing with ALL-NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA and even SUPERIOR IRON MAN, to some extent. Readers have to try to let go a little sometimes and enjoy where the story takes us. Plus, it's not like Thor will be MIA in the book.

The only problem I had was the slight confusion when the Goddess (are we calling her Thor as well?) came upon the Frost Giant's lair and a group of heroes were frozen there. When did this happen? Did it really happen? We'll have to wait and see.

The Verdict

The more I see of this new THOR, the more I dig it. Jason Aaron did an amazing job on the previous THOR: GOD OF THUNDER series and is now taking it to a completely different place. We don't often get big mysteries in comics, especially concerning the lead character. I'm intrigued with who the "new" character could be, but part of me doesn't want to find out right away. Russell Dauterman's art and Matthew Wilson's colors give the book a great look. Even though there's a lot of blue from the Frost Giants, it all looks amazing. Once the battle begins, I was simply in awe. If you're a hardcore Thor fan, do yourself a favor and check this out. Thor will still be in the book and we all know big changes aren't forever in comics. I'm really loving this book, but with this amazing creative team, it should be much of a surprise.

Surtr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Surtr

“This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is not Thor. this is the "Tiny Wench"

No Caption Provided

I hope that everyone that doesn't understand why she is called Thor, because that's Odinson birth name, could always call her "Tiny Wench" it would Back-fire this big marvel PR stunt that ended the great TGOT!

The worthy female real name is Agent Roz Solomon (she knew Dario Agger from TGOT), it was so much easy if she pick mjolnir and go by her real name!

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2  Edited By deadcool_XD

I still believe it is thor's daughter.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fem-thor was alright i guess

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@surtr: You seem unreasonably angry.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think it could be Thor Girl

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not enough Thor in this issueissue to keep me interested. Not any at all actually. Its hard to become a fan of this charactercharacter since we basically know nothing about her. She's just some girl running around with Thor's hammer, we don't even know who she is or why she's worthy or anything. This still feels pointless.

jowser11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@surtr: This is a dumb idea and a comment that's been made a million times and you should just get over it.

jowser11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Really? She was more than half the book. I felt satisfied. I mean, it's only issue #2.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Not enough Thor in this issueissue to keep me interested. Not any at all actually. Its hard to become a fan of this charactercharacter since we basically know nothing about her. She's just some girl running around with Thor's hammer, we don't even know who she is or why she's worthy or anything. This still feels pointless.

Yes, because when a major character becomes unworthy for his own magical hammer under mysterious circumstances and we have a mysterious woman take up the hammer and gain the powers of Thor under mysterious circumstances, the proper way to uncover the mystery is to spill the beans in the second issue instead of unraveling everything over the course of several issues as the readers and the in-fiction world become accustomed to the character no one has seen before. Yes, throwing everything out in the second issue is the proper way to do things, thus blowing the whole point of making the character a mystery to begin with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thanosismad: When a major character gets replaced and made unworthy, it would be nice to actually have some substance to the story. Not just throwing a random nameles character in. That's not interesting. Didn't know "Thor" was a mystery series now.

BIGALWILLIAMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is Jane Foster.I looked at an old issue of What If? where Jane Foster became worthy of the hammer and I think this is the female Thor.

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
    ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like that new name! "Tiny Wench" from now on it is!!!!

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By BigL

Does she appear in more than 1 page this issue? First issue didn't grab me but it wasn't a fair judgement since she was barely in the first issue. I will be checking this out

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
    ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"If you're a hardcore Thor fan, do yourself a favor and check this out." No thanks G-Man. This hardcore Thor fan wants THOR. Not Tiny Wench. Nice try though!

Surtr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Surtr

@surtr: You seem unreasonably angry.

A little! after all my favorite superhero was replaced by a PR stunt!

@jowser11 said:

@surtr: This is a dumb idea and a comment that's been made a million times and you should just get over it.

How? this is a scan from the book that was released today! I didn't edit anything that's how the Frost Giants refer to the new worthy character in the book, because they don't know who she is!

Another argument why i think she is Roz Solomon!

Letters from today issue!

No Caption Provided

"Aaron told Comic Riffs. “It’s a suspect list that’s going to include his mother, Freyja, who plays a big role in [the first issue]; Roz Solomon, who is Thor’s new love interest and also a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent; [his] ex-girlfriend Jane Foster; and Sif [who is a big part of the movies]".

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

god this is going to be just like Superior Spider-man where all the people who hate the idea are going to tell everyone how much they hate it in every review, where those of us who actually like the book are going to be told how dumb we are for enjoying it

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty good issue. It seems like Mjolnir instilled her with Thor's knowledge and experiences considering how she on numerous occasion questions how she knows some things and people. Also, now that she's seperated from the hammer, I'm curious on what she can do, especially against Malekith.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jowser11: I meant not enough of the actual Thor. The male one.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Great issue. Aaron is continuing continuing the great story telling that he displayed in the God of Thunder series. I love the fact that Maliketh is still carrying Thor's arm over his shoulder as a trophy. It's a great touch.

Definitely think that Thor is Jane Foster. It is definitely a human with personal knowledge of Thor. She left earth with Asgard at the end of the last series which was hovering right by the moon whenever the hammer was picked up. She was also portrayed as a selfless warrior by wanting to battle the cancer without Asgardian short cuts. I think Thor even called her a warrior in one of the prior issues.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

Pretty sure she is RoZ Solomon after this issue. We know that this new thor has meant Darrio Agger, and out of all the list of candidates it narrows it down significantly. Other than that, the way she talks in her mind indicates that she has little knowledge of Asgardian ways and speech patterns, so she doesnt talk this way in real life. In my mind i wouldnt have minded if it was one of thors granddaughters, and it could be thor's child/daughter if his daughter is the mother of the three godesses, but I am putting my monney on Roz Solomon. other than that i would think its Jane Foster, but I think Aaron had this idea for a while and decided to introduce Roz earlier on in order for readers to actually get to know her before she became the new thor

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like that new name! "Tiny Wench" from now on it is!!!!

yeah, i likes this name! >:D

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Transformers1024

So we still don't know who it is?

Avatar image for unpopularkarama
    unpopularkarama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this new series so far and direction. It's made me even go back and read the Thor: GOT, which is equally as great. It's also happens to come at a time when Azzarello and Chiang leave WW, so I needed a new god to fill the vacuum. 5/5

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By micah007123

god this is going to be just like Superior Spider-man where all the people who hate the idea are going to tell everyone how much they hate it in every review, where those of us who actually like the book are going to be told how dumb we are for enjoying it

_Genesis_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By _Genesis_

I still think it's Freyja.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

going to be pulling and leaving the issues in my box until i catch up and read all of Jason Aaron's God of Thunder series first.

looking forward to whenever i do pick up these handful of first issues.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

jowser11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@surtr: I'm talking about you saying she should be called Wench. I've always suspected it to be Roz since months ago.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Winter_Kills

Just the opinion of an old Thor fan, this series is just a drop in quality from the epicness of Thor:GOT. I feel I & many others have said all there is to be said about this direction(in my case, as respectfully as possible, I respect those that want to read the series, don't let my opinions on this & the opinions of others affect what you enjoy), but until they return to the book to the winning formula of T:GOT:

No Caption Provided

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

This issue was amazing. I really really loved it. Definite 5 stars for me.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I think this is Jane Foster.I looked at an old issue of What If? where Jane Foster became worthy of the hammer and I think this is the female Thor.

Lets hope not... because that book ended with Odin demanding Jane to hand over the hammer to his son, in return elevating her to godhood... so he (Odin) could marry her... which is just more than a little repulsive and quite out of tune.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Dumb are those who don't like the comic but still (have to) buy it!

Avatar image for moonknightrunner
    MoonKnightRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I think this is great :D while I've not read much of Thor and not a common buyer of his books, I've loved the God of Thunder run so much i have all the issues and I can't wait to see what's in store for Fem-Thor and Thor :)

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

Loving this series so far. Superb mystery and story and Dauterman's art is fantastic.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the SHIELD Agent who had a crush on Thor. or...The Enchantress.

Amratheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Amratheking

Aaron mentions in his response to the guy's letter that he "forgot one". I notice that the fan's list didn't include Roz Solomon.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this ''Tiny Wench'' as one of the frost giants named her. I like how her character is. At the end of Thor #1, I thought she was going to be serious and all, but it turns out that her attitude is like Barbara Gordon's.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book is super good, beautiful, too.

Also, She-Hulk!

StarOfElyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this book a ton.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By adamTRMM

Five starts? I know it's subjective, but, really?

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

best comic on the stands! This and the flash are so good right now!

no way its sif or jane, it would be too obvious!

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my only complaint is how fast of a read it was. I prefer more dialogue, and overall more text on the pages. Some of these issues have so little writing its kind of dissapointing to me. some of these issues must take the writer 15 minutes to write, since there is so little text overall. Thats my issue with nathan edmonson's stories, he writes little to nothing.

Thorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Thorite

@dagmar_merrill:

Please add me to the angry list. Marvel is banned as far as I'm concerned. The audacity to think that we're so stupid as to buy into her being "Thor" just because they say so. The concept of a birth name is very easy to understand. I'm all for woman characters but that #1 issue was just pure male bashing (Odin's a brute, Thor's depressed until his mom tells him to get up, Odin has a temper tantrum, Thor's so weak as to get held by a frost giant). Ridiculous that they think that way to get women into comics is to create a gender war.

To anyone interested in, you know, actually reading Thor I'm going to direct you to the Ragnarok series from IDW written by Walter Simpson himself. In this series a gods a god. Not some alien. Magic is magic. Not some 'tech'. Marvel just makes my head shake. Asgardians are these super advanced 'tech' species who carry clubs. They don't have a clue what made Thor special.

Thorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@surtr:

Tiny Wench it is.

Can't say I love it, but Marvel fired the first shot in the gender war with that ridiculous Issue #1. Let them attract women who want to read about how brutish and stupid men are. I'm buying IDW's Ragnarok where the men/gods are treated well but so are the women/goddesses (at least based on issue #2).

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This tiny wench packs a punch. I'm excited to see where this series goes but I miss Thor :(

Rezaujp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i thought she was a thor girl in comic that i've been read, but i think she's not

jonesy10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lame. Not worth buying. First off, why does her inner dialogue sound like a normal human? And then why does she sound like an Asgardian when she speaks out loud? She apparently knows nothing about Thor's powers or how to use Mjolnir. I don't like the idea of an amateur pretending to the the God of Thunder.

Worse of all they dumb down the dialogue to the contemporary Marvel lingo, making everyone sound like a moronic hipster. "Hel Yes!" was cringe worthy and certainly not Thor worthy.

I miss the days when comic books tried to teach you something new and expanded your vocabulary; now they just scramble for the lowest common denominator

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.