Review: Thor #609

Posted by Zack Freeman (314 posts) - - Show Bio
Balder turns the tables on the Hood and Loki while the rest of the Aesir fall from Asgard into Oklahoma.

THE GOOD 
The part where Balder spins the Hood's bullet around the edge of his sword and flings it right back has got to be one of the coolest scenes I've seen in a while. I don't know whether to credit Tan or Elson, or even colorists Christina Strain or June Chung, since they switch back and forth so much throughout this issue (the transition is seamless enough, actually, that I didn't notice it until I went back and looked at the credits). But the blown-out look to the coloring in that part was really virtuoso. I'll tip my hat, as well, to Gillen's handling of the Aesir's pseudo-Victorian style of speech. It's frequently difficult to find a balance with, but he did it in a way that was refined while still being concise; authentic without getting flowery. I especially enjoyed Balder's monologue at the end where he banishes Loki from Asgard. You practically want to pump your fist into the air and root for him!

THE BAD 
This is a minor quibble, but I wasn't feeling the Nordic-style font used for all the gods here. It has an inconsistent mix of cases that frequently makes it look like there's typos in the dialogue, and it got a little distracting.

THE VERDICT
If you need one reason to pick this up, check out for the Balder's demonstration of godly bullet time. As I said with Secret Avengers, this is an excellent example of how to do a monthly book. You can just drop into this without having read Siege or even previous issues of Thor and still enjoy the story for it was. Odds are, you'll be intrigued to see the backstory lurking underneath. And, while you might not always be certain of exactly who is drawing this, you're always going to find the art jaw-dropping.

4/5
#1 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

Good cover!

You're review is making me wanna pick this up!

I was never a big Thor fan until I started reading back issues of the Ragnarok aka Fall of Asgard storyline.  Coupled that with the recent New Thor TPB Vol. 1 that I got, I'm starting to really like the character.   

I'm waiting for the direct-to-DVD Thor: Tales of Asgard movie to learn more about him.

#2 Edited by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

this is hilarious to me, cause a couple weaks ago i was wondering if it would be possible to deflect a bullet like that, when i read this issue today i actually giggled like a school girl when i saw that

#3 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

really good action. fans feeling the Asgardians have gotten the short end of the stick
in Siege will be pleased here (and have that whole thing about how the bad guys are actually
matching the Asgardians is because they are enhanced with Asgardian magic and the Norn Stones 
re-explained to them yet again, *ahem*). good to see Volstagg finally getting serious as well.

#4 Posted by Owenlars2 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

The Norse gods are still the only characters who can take rainbows (like the coloring of the norn stones and their magic beam things or the rainbow road)  and make them totally bad ass.  Props to Thor.

#5 Posted by advocatefish (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Waiting for the trade.   !!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.