Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Thor seeks out and claims a reincarnated Loki while Balder tragically ignores the apocalyptic warnings of a scientist associate of Iron Man's.

The Good

Having been around since the title reverted back to Journey to Mystery following Onslaught, I'm actually quite pleased by this latest riff on the notion of the Aesir hiding in civilian human identities. That, along with Balder's ennui regarding the fate of Asgard, combines the traditional romance of these stories with a modern sci-fi edge without things ever getting maudlin or awkwardly melded.

The Bad

Like I always say, I really wish they hadn't gone straight to colors with the art. I love Ferry's art but, here, I was all-too-often taken of the experience by thinking about how the lines and shading didn't always integrate seamlessly with the lettering or the colors. Especially with a character like Thor, I feel like this needed that kind bold, firm strength you can only get from inked art.

The Verdict - 4/5

No less than three titles starring Thor have come out this week and, even though they tread on similar ground, they've all found their own, distinct angle. Oddly enough, I suppose I enjoyed this in the same way I can get behind those sporadic contemporary updates of Shakespeare. Thor re-discovering Loki as teen con man makes this mythos feel alive and actually kind of hopefully - - and I'm glad to see more of the Aesir finally getting some sleek re-designs to catch up with Thor's.
    MrGutts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By MrGutts

Wait a second, did you mislabel the title?   You sure it's not Tron #617?

ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ckal

I haven't read this yet but I am definitely going to get it. It seems to be building up to a massive explosion in the next couple months and some big things are going to be happening.

I like the art, I think it is great. Although, I do prefer art like Olivier Coipel's and JMS' run for Thor and think it suits him a little better. But this is good too especially for a little change. If it was inked it could be even better. Pasqual Ferry is a great penciler.

This art without ink looks infinitely better than most without it does. For example the art during Gillen's run on Thor did not look good IMO. It looked like a bunch of colored pencils.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By The Lobster
    Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Fantasgasmic
    seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By seekquaze

WHY DID THOR BRING BACK LOKI?  He admits he is an evil s.o.b., but "can't live without him?"  WTF?!!  Story aspect makes no sense.  The rest is just a rehash of the last two issues and previous storyline.  We already saw Balder say farewell to the Asgardian spirits in the previous story arc.  And he only survives SIEGE and the Disir to call it quits now?!?!  And we see the Cosmologist AGAIN?!?!  

What is so good about this book?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Fantasgasmic said:
    " @The Lobster said: 
     http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.14404.marvel_unveils_tron_variant_covers 
     I told all those fan boys who bitched about Disney buying Marvel that this can be a good thing. "
    Hey look, it's the first OFFICIAL way the Disney-Marvel merger has effed up our comics.  Hurray.:-| (this is my serious face) "
    .... did you just suggest having TRON variant covers is a bad thing?
    Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fantasgasmic
    @InnerVenom123: Yes. In fact, not only did I suggest that the variant cover is ugly (somewhat the drawing itself, but mostly the style), but I also implied that TRON Legacy will be a terrible movie, but since this isn't Screened.com, I don't think this would be the place to talk about that topic. 

I don't really care about cross-promotion for things that aren't intrusive, like you know, Marvel Studios movies . As someone who's seen TRON, and isn't buying into any of the hype for the sequel,  this seems terribly out of place and it polarizes me against wanting to see the movie even more  (but this is waaaay less egregious than like the Iron Man 2, AUDI comic I saw on the Comixology digital store). I'm sure if you buy into the hype then this would do the same thing but in the opposite direction.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Fantasgasmic said:
    " @InnerVenom123: Yes. In fact, not only did I suggest that the variant cover is ugly (somewhat the drawing itself, but mostly the style), but I also implied that TRON Legacy will be a terrible movie, but since this isn't Screened.com, I don't think this would be the place to talk about that topic. 

I don't really care about cross-promotion for things that aren't intrusive, like you know, Marvel Studios movies . As someone who's seen TRON, and isn't buying into any of the hype for the sequel,  this seems terribly out of place and it polarizes me against wanting to see the movie even more  (but this is waaaay less egregious than like the Iron Man 2, AUDI comic I saw on the Comixology digital store). I'm sure if you buy into the hype then this would do the same thing but in the opposite direction. "
    I may or may not see the sequel. I just freaking love the TRON variant covers. To each their own.
    Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Pizawle

I dig the Tron covers and Legacy will be amazing.

On the book, Fraction is off to a good start though not quite on his Iron-Man level.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.