Yay or Nay - Matt Fraction on Thor??

#1 Posted by Z3RO180 (6547 posts) - - Show Bio

Now i know he has been writieing thor for a while now but ijust wanted to make a thread were every one can tell people why they like it or why the hate it. For me i like his stuff i mean i loved world eaters and its up there with my favorites. I liked the mighty thor but at time it felt like it know what it wanted to do but it wasent quit sure how to to it but eather way it is a great book. Fear itself i got the trade version and it was good at the start but felt a little rushed in the middle with Bucky dieing and steve takeing back the shield but then at the end i thought the battles were awesome. So thats my thought on Matt Fractions work on thor so far i have ordered The mighty Thor Vol 2 and im sure it will be good.

#2 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the older stuff, Stan Lee and Walt Simonson. I even liked Jurgens and really like Stracynski's run...it was very good. All those guys understood the character of Thor.

I'm just can't get into Fraction's Thor. Kieron Gillen has something interesting going on over in JIM lately.

I really hope they turn the main title back over to someone else though.

#3 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

I say thee NAY!

#4 Posted by Iridium (134 posts) - - Show Bio

Have to give Fraction credit for something I would have thought impossible a few years ago. I have collected both Thor and Iron Man for, quite literally, decades. He has so utterly ruined both that now not only do I buy neither, but I do not even touch Marvel.

His blatant disregard for continuity, even to recent issues of his own, is now in the realm of the bizarre. Even in the complete fiction of the Marvel Universe his stories are laughable for their implausibility. If you forgo the overall plots and look at individual issues, I find him unable to maintain any pace to the story and remarkably unable to write dialogue.

#5 Edited by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio

Matt Fraction he's a guy who can bring some interesting plots. I like How he brought some things "à la Saint Seiya" in Fear Itself (and I'm a HUGE FAN of Saint Seiya). And "The Galactus seed" was an interesting idea (Odin's armor looks like the Ramadanthys'one XD)... but the probleme with Fraction, is when he develops the plot... It's really... painful.

For this reasons I SAY THEE NAY!

#6 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

Nay. I just don't like Fraction's writing. It's difficult for me to get into his stories.

#7 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@ThePhoenX said:
I SAY THEE NAY!
#8 Posted by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio

Matt Fractions vs

Stan The Man

#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92697 posts) - - Show Bio

Fraction's wrecking characters and disregarding continuity? Shockerrrrrr

#10 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

Matt Fraction !!!

#11 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
His one-shots were brilliant. His current run is simply lackluster.
#12 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really like it. I hate how brings in these...I guess "funny" and "quirky" characters into every book. Like the goblin who wears a suit and glasses and carries around an iPad in The Mighty Thor and the INCREDIBLY annoying dwarf in Invincible Iron Man. Also this new emo kid in Mighty Thor too.

Can Walter Simonson do Thor again? I'm sure the guy has some more ideas now. Right? ....right?

#13 Posted by TheGodofThunder (598 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate how he comes up with ideas that sound amazing and then just rushes through them and turns them to garbage. This arc with tanarus sounded really cool. And then having thor fight the demogorge who eats forgotten gods was also really cool, but It seemed like in two panels everything was resolved. There wasn't even a fight with ulik. It was even more of a disappointment because his death in fear itself lead into this arc and it was the most anti climatic thing I've ever read. What's sad is he wrote that thor:the reigning mini, at least I think that's what it was called, but now he just plain sucks.

#14 Posted by TDK_1997 (14895 posts) - - Show Bio

Fraction has some good Thor issues and stories but overall he's a crappy writer.His only good book and run is on Invincible Iron Man.

#15 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Fractions Iron Man run but really couldn't get in to his X-men at all. When I found out about him taking on Thor I dropped the book and followed Gillen to JIM who I personally think is the best writer for Thor and that corner of the Marvel U. I've never read a mighty Thor but wouldn't mind having a go at some point.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.