Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Would you like to see Thor using the anti-force blast?

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spambot

As many of you might recall, during Jurgens run on Thor he had Thor often employing the anti-force blast which was an extension of the power enchanted within Mjolnir almost to where it was his go to move when he got serious. Then once Jurgens moved on writers stopped using it and were basically acting like it was never a power he or Mjolnir had. So would you like to see the anti force blast brought back or do you think he is better off using his more traditional powers like lightning and such?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see him being impossible to kill on Earth being a son of Gaia and all since he should be able to be healed by the Earth and him using more of his forgotten powers they make Thor only use lightning and every once in a while hell throw in a godblast

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well he's dead now, and in the past Jason Aaron stated that he wouldn't have Thor use all of his powers because it'd be harder to writer a character so powerful and less interesting. And since Aaron seems committed to Thor for a long time we probably won't see these powers for a long time. He didn't even let thor use lightning once since he's been unworthy. Hopefully authors don't forger about them.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: ya, but imagine Aaron leaves for some reason(which happens all the time in comics) would you like to see the next writer use it among other powers? Aaron won't stay on Thor forever.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I think for a writer to claim a powerful character is less interesting says a lot more about the writer than it does about the charcter. It's admitting you're incapable of the creativity required to make them interesting on their own terms, without having them weakened and depowered, or giving their powers and name to a surrogate, a stand in... it's admitting that as a writer you're not up to the challenge.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's honestly no reason whatsoever for writers not to allow the ability to be used.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think they should start giving thor some nice mid level speed/reaction feats

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Asgaard

@rpgesus said:

i think they should start giving thor some nice mid level speed/reaction feats

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The anti-force blast was an awesome moment used against Mangog (someone considerably more powerful) to put him down. An attack that powerful shouldn't be used too often. The difference between Jurgens' run and now is that villains in Marvel mean nothing. There's so much obsession with the heroes bickering and fighting each other (differences between them magnified or sometimes invented) that the super-villain has become second-rate at best. Barely any writers have the imagination to conjure up a story in which Thor's power can be unleashed and with purpose. Even the very good "God Butcher" saga saw three Thor's fight someone with an all-powerful weapon mainly with fisticuffs and hammers and not much else. You would think someone like Thor with so many range attacks would use them against a powerful opponent who also can hurt you from long range (Necrosword).

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: He used it a lot though, the one used against Mangog was a full blast with Mjolnir inside his mouth. It was powerful but not always along the lines of that much power when used.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: Very true. I loved Jurgens' run. Top three with Lee and Simonson.

As for the original question, sure I wouldn't mind seeing Thor bust out an anti-force blast but find me a capable writer who can handle superheroic/mythical storytelling and give Thor a good reason to use his powers with greater variety. After that you need an editor who can work with said writer, understand what he's doing and keep it sheltered from childish, moronic crossover events that do nothing. Sadly, there's a greater chance of Thor actually existing in reality and striking me with a lightning bolt.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spambot

@haveatthee: I think Marvel's editors just don't have that much enthusiasm for him as a character. They don't mind having him around but I think his days as the de facto powerhouse of Marvel and the Avengers is prob over. At this point it may be years before he is even back to his old self with his own comic. Jurgens run starts kind of slow imo and I didn't really like Thor girl but I like how it slowly gained steam and then you get like a 20 issue storyline with King Thor at the end.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jurgens' run slow? More happens in those first 20 issues than in the entire run of JMS (and I liked JMS' run).

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jurgens' run slow? More happens in those first 20 issues than in the entire run of JMS (and I liked JMS' run).

I have to agree with this, though wasn't the JMS run like 16 issues? But even limiting Jurgens to his first 16 issues of Thor I think things tend to move along at a quicker pace.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spambot

@haveatthee: Well I have always been one of those who found JMS' run to be insanely slow moving plotwise. I guess it's more I just didn't find the storylines that compelling until more toward the second half of Jurgen's run. I wasn't that much of a fan of all the stuff with Jake Olsen and Thor girl. I would rather that Thor just be Thor without the need for a human alias.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should be used but I see it as one of those last resort powers. but they barely demonstrate him using any of his other powers.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: well ever since Aaron took over writing duties Thor has mostly been portrayed as a muscled brawler with occasional lightning manipulation abilities.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I loved him using the full array of his abilities in Jurgens' run.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.