Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Will Thor ever return as the God of Thunder

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Poll Will Thor ever return as the God of Thunder (73 votes)

Yes, in 6-9 months. 38%
    Yes, in 9-23 months 25%
    Yes, but give it at least 2 years 34%
    No, never. 14%

I just wanted to wonder if you guys thing that Thor will ever return to being the God of thunder anytime soon, if at all?

• 
    tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes he will be.

It is funny now that I think of it without the hammer his title of God of Thunder is gone.

Oh well.

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
    ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ThunderingThorFan

@tensor: that's what is so stupid. He's always been the God of Thunder because that is his birthright even before he had MJOLNIR. Mjolnir copied his powers because thor focused them through him. His title hasn't gone anywhere. Brain dead writers make up crap to promote their own characters and name. Yes you aaron! We know it's roz (Eco nut) Solomon. Big freaking mystery. "Then we'll find out about her story" and why she's "worthy". Who gives a flying f--- about this loser?! But it's an important story in Thor's mythos why??? I mean the real heart of the matter is what Thor is going through but he's been tossed aside. He might as well have killed him. That's why Aaron had to force the "title" claims on roz otherwise there's absolutely no impact on thor's mythos. Face it you hack! I better never see him in person.......lol I will lose it!!!

Mind you @tensor that last part is meant for Aaron not you!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He's still the God of Thunder….he just doesn't have the freaking hammer…….

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is still the god of thunder. He has and always will be the god of thunder. Mjolnir doesn't affect that.

But in terms of him getting his hammer back, I would give it anywhere between one and two years sadly.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, he will. Like with Eric Masterson, it's only temporary. When the sales boost from the PR hype has died down, & the substitute's id is fully revealed, ending the mystery (in no particular order), the sales will drop & the REAL Thor will be back. Also, regardless of what Aaron or Brevoort says, when A:AOU comes out, & they start building up the stuff for the next phase of movies, people will be clamoring to see more of the REAL Thor, & Marvel, as they have in the past, will follow the success of the films & bring him back.

So for fans of the true Thor, all I can say is wait it out, like a kidney stone this too will pass.

@ms-lola said:

Amen to that!!

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Xenonyte

@winter_kills said:

Yes, he will. Like with Eric Masterson, it's only temporary. When the sales boost from the PR hype has died down, & the substitute's id is fully revealed, ending the mystery (in no particular order), the sales will drop & the REAL Thor will be back. Also, regardless of what Aaron or Brevoort says, when A:AOU comes out, & they start building up the stuff for the next phase of movies, people will be clamoring to see more of the REAL Thor, & Marvel, as they have in the past, will follow the success of the films & bring him back.

So for fans of the true Thor, all I can say is wait it out, like a kidney stone this too will pass.

@ms-lola said:

Amen to that!!

This^.

I don't understand why some people are choosing to be negative in saying that he'll never come back - and I'm referring to the poll, not anyone in particular.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

Of course he'll be back, I give it one year or less.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 years.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

A year tops, I doubt Fem Thor will last that long. The hype is dying down already and though I don't find it nearly as bad as Superior Spider-Man, it's definitely not the kind of Thor story I wanted to read from Aaron.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nope. Never. We all know how much Marvel doesn't like to go back on things.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xenonyte said:

@winter_kills said:

@ms-lola said:

Amen to that!!

This^.

I don't understand why some people are choosing to be negative in saying that he'll never come back - and I'm referring to the poll, not anyone in particular.

I agree with that too, I don't understand that mentality. Successor characters- not just at Marvel, but also at DC, never last- for example, Eric Masterson as "Thor", Bucky as Cap, Dick Grayson as Batman, Otto Octavius in the body of Peter Parker- the original, iconic characters always return. (Even though Bucky was a great Cap, IMO.) The only successor character that ever really worked was Wally West as the Flash- he's went from being a successor to being THE Flash, & was THE Flash for many years, but that's a credit to good writing & character development. (I think Bucky, under Brubaker, could've done this, but I think everyone knew by the time of the first movie, Steve would be back.) The classic, iconic characters always return in some form. And how could people think that they wouldn't restore Thor to his title/role? He's one of the Avengers' Big Three, one of comicdom's most iconic characters, & more than that, he is a cultural icon that transcends the comics format, that they've been telling stories about for hundreds of years, the Norse legends that Thor & his lore(rhymed there lol) were adapted from, & has a cultural impact that reverberates around the world, esp. in Europe, even today. I mean, even a day of the week- Thursday- is named in his honor. And now Norse mythology is very prominent & popular in films & games(not just the Thor movies, but tv series like Vikings & Games of Thrones, games like World of Warcraft & Skyrim, & everything Tolkien) & even heavy metal music. Thor- like Cap, Spider-Man, Iron Man, or any other iconic character- he will be back, probably sooner rather than later, for all the reasons mentioned above.

I can't believe that anyone would believe that Thor wouldn't return, & be permanently replaced by this female successor. Honestly, anyone that believes that, I have a bridge to sell them in Brooklyn. (And like you, that refers to the poll, not anyone in particular.)

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I have really enjoyed the first two issues of the new series. Aaron is continuing to tell a great story. I'm sure Thor will carry Mjolnir again, but due to how decompressed story telling is, it won't be for at least a year and a half or two years.

My guess is that Thor Odinson will be a regular feature in the book after a little while (I believe Aaron even confirmed that in an article a while back) and will slowly work his way back as the main feature.

Zarathos022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

One can only hope.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comes back in a higher position?

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe that what we'll see is Thor coming back- & he will, that's definite- but they'll try to spin off this She-Thor character, maybe forge a hammer/uru weapon for her, similar to what they did with Eric Masterson as Thunderstrike. I think we'll probably get a shiny new Thor #1 after all this is over, featuring the TRUE Thor, & some type of spin-off series for She-Thor. Like they did with Masterson as Thunderstrike(&, I say this with no disrespect to Eric Masterson), & we all know how long that lasted. It's because- even now- she's in the shadow of a legend, the true Thor, & unlike other characters like Beta Ray Bill, Bucky Barnes & Sam Wilson, doesn't really have a legacy of her own; her story & legacy is completely intertwined with Thor's.(Unfortunately, despite his good points, Eric Masterson/Thunderstrike had the same problem. Though Eric did have his own supporting cast/family outside of his connections with Thor/Asgard, which one-ups this lady.) Unlike Beta Ray Bill- who is connected to Thor, but has his own story, his own legacy, & a place in the cosmic MU, this chick just won't have any staying power after her time as the substitute "Thor" is over. On the other hand, there will always be a Thor- the REAL Thor, outlasting all he substitutes & gimmicks. Happened before & it'll happen again.

@xenonyte:

Amen to that, brother- but I'm more or a brotha than a sista, if I was a sista it would be terrifying...lol

@dayvid3:

I would accept it if he was restored to not only being the God of Thunder, but promoted to being the God of Thunder AND Rock 'n Roll.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Like asking if the sun will rise tomorrow :)

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people who actually read the stories shouldnt be asking this question. of course he goes back to the way he should be

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No more than a year.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that you made a thread asking this just lets me know how uniformed you are on how comics work.

kreg_penny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kreg_penny:

Amen to that, bro!

Another thing that I believe will aid with the return of Thor is the fact that the fellow who's playing him in the movies just got voted the Sexiest Man Alive...you can't tell me that Marvel's not going to jump on that somehow & attempt to attract female readers by having a Thor that more resembles Hemsworth(when they realize that their gambit at replacing a male lead with a female lead doesn't attract female fans the way they thought, & I know quite a few displeased female Thor fans). I mean, "Unworthy" Thor's already got the beard & the braids...he's halfway there...

@z3ro180:

Exactly. That's what I keep telling people...with iconic characters like Thor or Cap, or even Batman & Superman, things always revert to some form of the status quo. If people don't like the way things are going now(like myself), don't get all worked up, just wait it out- things will turn around again. I mean, let's face it- Thor went through stuff just as bad in the late '90s when the original Mighty Thor run was ending (the Onslaught & Heroes Reborn stuff...Liefeld gah!!), & he came out of it just fine, & Thor fans were rewarded with the Jurgens & Romita series. And even when Ragnarok & his "death" came at the end of that series, he came back in triumphant form in the new series helmed by JMS. The wheel always turns 'round again...that's the way of comics.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor will reclaim his God of Thunder status sooner or later. 'Till then if this new change bothers you conceptually, just don't read it. I've abstained from the story personally and from Marvel generally because they've become (as has DC) event obsessed and solo titles barely get any time to hit the ground running before some LIFE-ALTERING EVENT!@3# comes along (Secret Wars, Time Runs Out, yadda yadda). Thank god for back-issue revisiting.

Killermovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least 2

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes, people are quitting reading Marvel all together, id expect the rest of the PR stunts to be gone as well

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think he will return with Mjolnir until 2017 when Thor Ragnarok comes out. Jason Aaron is starting a Thor series with Jane Foster as Thor in October and he doesn't seem to want to go back to the real Thor anytime soon. He has a story he wants to tell with Jane.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: here's hoping it's good unlike the last one witch was just boring, not bad just boring.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: And even if it's total crap it will still be hyped by some as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: I remember how many people said "Oh, it's gon be so awsum ppl r just hatahz" to us when we complained about the stupidity of this PR stunt. I wonder where those people are now that this change hasn't only destroyed Thor, but the entire Asgard and worst of all Odin. I really wonder what they have to say about this.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderman1997: I'm sure they're not even concerned with the collateral damage this turn has caused. For the most part all they were on about was how great it was a woman could be Thor, beyond that I don't think they had very much to keep them going.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Yeah. People ran their mouths without even knowing what they're talking about. I hate this notion of "change is always good and fans always complain". This same notion also led to Peter Parker's not being the main Spiderman and Bruce Banner not being Hulk as of now.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Yep you do have a a point. Aaron is a great writer and the argument that he ruined Thor is possibley the weakest argument ever. It just his last run was so boring and Jane foster as Thor was just a quick change right at the end and it sucked.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

A year tops, I doubt Fem Thor will last that long. The hype is dying down already and though I don't find it nearly as bad as Superior Spider-Man, it's definitely not the kind of Thor story I wanted to read from Aaron.

Seems like I was wrong on my timeframe estimation. And on how painfully bad Aaron would make the writing and story too.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: So at this point do you see it as worse than Superior Spider-Man?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: So at this point do you see it as worse than Superior Spider-Man?

As bad as this is, no it isn't as bad as Superior Spider-Man yet IMO. That was a massive betrayal to the fans and Spider-Man as a character. Worse writing too. But this is getting close what with its agenda based drive and poorly handled narrative same as with Superior Spider-Man.

SirForrest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xD

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hammer no hammer he is still god of thunder....

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Holy shit, it's been three years.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
    plotweapon16255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hammer no hammer he is still god of thunder....

ThunderPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

2 years later, still waiting.

MorbusGrav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.