Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Why You Wouldn't Want To Date Thor

• 112 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
     It's HAMMER TIME
     It's HAMMER TIME

When your nickname is "The God of Thunder" it's a guarantee that you are pretty good at a lot of things. Such as, but not limited to; creating poor weather conditions for us "mere mortals," flying at the speed of light, manipulating matter and cosmic energy, fighting bad guys capable of zapping any normal person out of existence, and many more great and awesome things that would take way too long to mention here. I suppose that being equipped with Mjolnir and harnessing this ultimate cosmic power can come in handy when you are splitting your time between defending Asgard from cosmic beings like the Frost Giants, and participating in play time with the Avengers, right? So while he may be great at a lot of things, I bet there is one thing that Thor wouldn't be good at: relationships. Okay, so the "God of Thunder" can't be good at everything, right? Relationships between people are tough enough without any kind of super powers being thrown into the mix! The thing is, though, Thor might be the absolute worst guy for a girl to want to date, and here's a list of reasons why.  

== TEASER ==

The Obsession With The Hammer...
       The Obsession With The Hammer...

Think about that for a minute. Just let that sink in. It's bad enough that the guy walks around dressed like he's ready for the Renaissance Festival 365 days out of the year, but he's always got  that damn Hammer on him. And he's obsessed. He even calls to it like it's a puppy- "Hammer! HAMMER!" Okay, allow me to put it into perspective for you; imagine yourself at on a date with a guy (or girl, if you prefer) at your favorite restaurant or movie theater. Rather than leaving a cell phone, or a wallet at home, he (or she) forgets a Hammer. He would then proceed to rise from his chair and start calling out for his Hammer in that boisterous voice of his as though the Hammer were a puppy. Talk about embarrassing, right? But that isn't even the tip of the iceberg! Don't even get me started on the psychological reasons behind this obsession- I don't even want to go there. 

CRUNNCH!
     CRUNNCH!

A person can have some really terrible personality traits, but in my opinion, arrogance makes it into the top 3 things I don't want in a boyfriend. The best example of Thor's arrogance also happens to be a tremendous part of his origin story. The reason Thor came to earth in the first place was because he arrogantly disobeyed his father, Odin, when he took it upon himself to establish a truce between the Asgardians and the their enemies, the Frost Giants. Thor's actions led Asgard to the brink of war, and is something that could have easily been avoided had Thor not deliberately disobeyed his father. That isn't the only time Thor has displayed his arrogant nature, either. 

BLARGH! Evil Elf Witch! 
     BLARGH! Evil Elf Witch! 

More recently in Thor #3 he let Tony Stark have it and put him in his place, going so far as to crush Tony's Iron Man helmet in anger, explaining to Tony that he probably shouldn't be giving orders to the God of Thunder. Now, if he disrespects his Dad that way, and he disrespects his BFF that way, then by golly he might disrespect his girlfriend that way, too! IIt was in a recent issue of Avengers Prime that we saw a good example of Thor's arrogance when it comes to women. Thor jumped the gun rather quickly, cavalierly accusing an innocent woman of lying and of being an "Elf Witch;" demanding information from her. His behavior is so deplorable in this scene, that Captain America is forced to step in. See, if Thor wasn't so arrogant, he probably wouldn't have behaved so badly. He might even have better manners... 

Mind your manners!
           Mind your manners!
    Dinner at Mom's could quickly turn into disaster at Mom's. Let's be honest here, Asgardians don't exactly seem like model citizens for etiquette. I mean, aside from the fact that it might be hard to have a conversation with Thor (whose intelligence according to Marvel is a 2 out of 7), never-mind eating with the guy! Chances are, the only experience the God of Thunder has ever had eating in public is in his Mead Hall, so if he throws a chicken drumstick at you from across the table because he doesn't find your jokes that funny, don't be too offended. 

The thing you have to remember is that you're dealing with a "God," a seemingly omnipotent being that's used to always getting his way and being the biggest and strongest dude in the room. Of course Thor may not be dating material, but his are actually some of the best stories ever told by Marvel comics. So even though my reasons for not dating Thor may have been a bit harsh, he's still one of my favorite characters. If you want to know more about the character, check out Thor's series over at Marvel, and don't forget to check out the Thor movie which hits theaters on Friday, May 6th.  

Do you think Thor is date-worthy? Who do you think is the least date-worthy character in comics? 

A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#1  Edited By A_O_N

Nice article ;)

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Wattup

But he's oh so dreamy...sigh...

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Trodorne

Maybe there should be an article on why you should not date namor.... lol

great article.

A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By A_O_N
    @Trodorne said:
    " Maybe there should be an article on why you should not date namor.... lol great article. "
    I second that!
    MarioBoza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MarioBoza

So it seems Thor would be one of those "work in progress" guys huh? lol :P

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#6  Edited By Trodorne
    @A_O_N said:
    " @Trodorne said:
    " Maybe there should be an article on why you should not date namor.... lol great article. "
    I second that! "
    I Third the seconding of the first......
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cmaprice

Re: Hammer obsession-
    " Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. " -Freud

I know your point was tongue-in-cheek, but if you largely depended on a magic hammer that in other hands could prove disastrous, I dare say you'd keep close tabs on it as well.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

My nine year old daughter says she would marry Thor if she got the chance. I told her to go for it if she was ever in Asgard and/or the Marvel universe, but after reading this I may need to change my answer. 

dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By dewboy01

Gods like him criticize us humans/ mortals, what are we slaves to them, why just kill us if they hate us that much? what makes them better than us? our way of life's non of their business.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Well I'm pretty sure I don't; wanna date Thor...Valkyrie though...oh baby...

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tonis

lol, men and their hammer obsessions, no doubt, too complicated to analyze here :)

I gotta say though, the Thor in the Avengers animated series pulls off a more gentleman like approach. He doesn't let the Hulk insult the ladies and treats them with the respect they should.

You might not do too bad with that version of him. :)
    hrodvitnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hrodvitnir

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be less worried about how Thor would treat you on a date, and more worried about how Sif will treat you when she finds out you've been on a date with Thor.

demifiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By demifiend

cause he isnot even capable of beat hulk

pheonixspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pheonixspectre
    @RedheadedAtrocitus:
    Thor should date the hulk
    hrodvitnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hrodvitnir
    @RedheadedAtrocitus: 
    Valkyrie is a good choice, but I was always a fan of Hel for Asgardian women.
    Sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sweep

The whole Asguardian lifestyle sounds kinda gnarly, but that lack of manners could also be interpreted as extreme confidence. I'm not going to shower, and eat dinner with my hands? F** yeah, let's get primal up in this bitch! Girls love confidence, and ruggedness. Right? Isn't that why Wolverine keeps getting laid all the time?
    While I will admit that Thor does have a goofy dress sense, he also has a pretty sweet beard. +1 for facial hair.

As for the arrogance, isn't he entitled to some kind of recognition for the fact that he's a f***king thunder god? Humility is all well and good, but not to the extent that people walk all over you and treat you like a b***h. This guy knows what he wants and isn't going to tolerate any of your shi***

So, in summary, yes I think you should date Thor, Babs. Or... y'know... fake your own death?

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Thor's hammmer

I have a few pictures on my hard drive of him hitting Sif.....
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PowerHerc
    @RedheadedAtrocitus said:
    "

Well I'm pretty sure I don't; wanna date Thor...Valkyrie though...oh baby...

"

Hell Yeah!
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Bestostero

needs a haircut i think...

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

#20  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

humans and gods/godess shouldnt date.....thats kind of like why old people and little kids dont date.  we're just not on their level in any sense of the word.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Sweep said:
    " The whole Asguardian lifestyle sounds kinda gnarly, but that lack of manners could also be interpreted as extreme confidence. I'm not going to shower, and eat dinner with my hands? Fuck yeah, let's get primal up in this bitch! Girls love confidence, and ruggedness. Right? Isn't that why Wolverine keeps getting laid all the time?

While I will admit that Thor does have a goofy dress sense, he also has a pretty sweet beard. +1 for facial hair.

As for the arrogance, isn't he entitled to some kind of recognition for the fact that he's a fucking thunder god? Humility is all well and good, but not to the extent that people walk all over you and treat you like a bitch. This guy knows what he wants and isn't going to tolerate any of your shit!

So, in summary, yes I think you should date Thor, Babs. Or... y'know... fake your own death?
    "
    Manners smanners, he's a god, of course he expects women to kneel and spit shine his hammer. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Least date-worthy? That is a LONG list. Norman Osborn, Deathbird, Daken...
    At least Thor has some good personality traits, too. Some characters aren't even given those.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By cyberninja

Welcome to the club thor. 

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mbecks14

if he's chris hemsworth I'D even date him.

just kidding haha but great article! I feel like superheroes in general are just hard to date. Even Wonder Woman, a beautiful goddess, is kind of undateable. 
    TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By TypingKira

The thing about Thor -- he's a prince. Why didn't you do the same one of these for Namor, huh? ;} 

This goes so well with a prior status of mine -- "I want to hear Thor say It is merely a metaphor'. 

Lol, I'll be chill with this as long as you admit that Balder is perfect in every way. Great article Babs! 

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TypingKira
    @hrodvitnir said:
    " Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be less worried about how Thor would treat you on a date, and more worried about how Sif will treat you when she finds out you've been on a date with Thor. "
    This. 
    greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By greeneagle

ROFL, Nice  article. Question, Do you think Tony Stark is better dating material compared to Thor?

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By GC8

And yet with all the male superheroes out there, Thor consistently ranks one of the highest among fangirls.

But then I've never really been able to figure out why fangirls like the superheroes they like. According to Stan Lee, Tony Stark (an alcoholic jerk) has always been much more popular among female readers than (loyal good guy) Peter Parker. Go figure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His profile says that he weighs 640lbs.  I'm guessing that's another possible reason.  Wouldn't want the guy to accidentally crush you while you're both sleeping.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

The incident in Thor #3 between Thor and Tony is a bad example. Tony is the one that crossed the bff line. He turned on his friends and used a secret clone of Thor to do it. Then shortly after Thor's return Tony hunts Thor down and tells him he better step in line?

No. He's lucky Thor let him walk home.
    Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Maki_P

Dating a God sounds like a heavy issue (specially an arrogant one). I think it's better not to go there. Of course if a God propositioned me I would jump to it; but then again that's not the same as "dating"

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Maki_P
     @etragedy said:
    " And yet with all the male superheroes out there, Thor consistently ranks one of the highest among fangirls.But then I've never really been able to figure out why fangirls like the superheroes they like. According to Stan Lee, Tony Stark (an alcoholic jerk) has always been much more popular among female readers than (loyal good guy) Peter Parker. Go figure. "

Tony is Sexier
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#33  Edited By ImperiousRix

Hey, if he really looked like Chris Hemsworth does in the movie, I'd date him.

And I'm not even gay.
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By ComicCrazy

Thor is a really great movie and I'm not even a huge Thor fan.

WadeWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WadeWilson
    @Maki_P: that's because girls like men to be total jerks, just ask Quagmire
    Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By Dark Cell

Personally I found this article to be kinda pointless, all of the examples used - if put into the correct context are quite reasonable.  

Anyway thats my opinion, thanks for the article :)

Praetor_fenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Praetor_fenix

Dang, so dressing all renassance fair and all and talking to your tools is unatractive? That's news for me, there was a time i would name my guitars with female names... I guess that's the reason i've never been too popular with the ladies.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mercy_
    @Xenozoic Shaman said:
    " His profile says that he weighs 640lbs.  I'm guessing that's another possible reason.  Wouldn't want the guy to accidentally crush you while you're both sleeping. "
    Asgardian physiology. 
    wingster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wingster

No Caption Provided
    Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#40  Edited By Outside_85

Good thing Thor is already married then.

goldenshot80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41  Edited By goldenshot80
    Thor's enemy would kill the person dating Thor.
    Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42  Edited By Out_of_Space
    @Trodorne said:
    Even better article.
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I laugh, but there is a twinge of bitterness to my mirth, as I was the guy in high school who was constantly being passed over by the ladies in favor of guys who were both arrogant and obsessed with possessions (usually their cars).

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By leokearon

Nice article, I would love to see more of these articles,
    Metro_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Metro_Man

Love the guy. If I swung that way, I would date him no doubt about it.  I would wreck Encantress for sure.  
    TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TypingKira
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Xenozoic Shaman said:
    " His profile says that he weighs 640lbs.  I'm guessing that's another possible reason.  Wouldn't want the guy to accidentally crush you while you're both sleeping. "
    Asgardian physiology.  "
    Yeppers. Their three times as dense as a regular person (stating facts for ppl who don't know, not trying to troll)
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By TDK_1997

He isn't so bad

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#48  Edited By xerox_kitty

The ONLY reason I wouldn't date him is because he keeps shaving the Beardy goodness off... other than that, I've dated geeks & football fans.  He can't be any worse than that ;)
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mercy_
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " The ONLY reason I wouldn't date him is because he keeps shaving the Beardy goodness off... other than that, I've dated geeks & football fans.  He can't be any worse than that ;) "
    So agreed on the Beardy Thor goodness.

@TypingKira said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Xenozoic Shaman said:
    Asgardian physiology.  "
    Yeppers. Their three times as dense as a regular person (stating facts for ppl who don't know, not trying to troll) "
    I was just saying that to Babs on Twitter the other night, when she mentioned the 640 thing on his bio.
    TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TypingKira
    @The Dark Huntress: I only said that it made sense to me, then realized that she might not have known that. . . Oh well, she knows now :}

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.