Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Why Thor annoys me..

SupaMan64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SupaMan64

First of all I'm not saying that I don't like Thor. In fact I have a decent amount of his comics and am very excited for the movie. But sometimes Thor just irritates me. Why? I mean come on.. A Norse God? That's kinda hard to swallow that a GOD would decide to hang out with a bunch of superheroes. Then they add characters from other mythologies such as Hercules. WTF? So I'm guessing that every mythology is real? It's just ya know...

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Thanks for that detailed analysis into the inclusion of mythological beings into the Marvel Universe, I'm going to guess that your not an Ares fan ether then?

SupaMan64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SupaMan64
    @Omega Ray Jay: I'm not saying that I'm not a fan, I'm saying that it gets annoying. It's like... a little brother.He's annoying but you love him. Hahah if it's possible to relate the two.
    growup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By growup
    @SupaMan64:  So what your saying is that you like Thor, but the fact he is a character from Norse Mythology is kind of dorky?
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Gylan Thomas

All depends on how you define the whole god thing.
    Think of them as ancient meta humans if it helps.
    Think Thor and thre Asgardians were revealed to be an Alien race at some point too. Maybe in Warren Ellis's run.

SupaMan64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SupaMan64
    @Red_Justice:  I'm fine with his Godhood.    but adding characters like Hercules from other mythology is just too much.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @SupaMan64 said:
    " First of all I'm not saying that I don't like Thor. In fact I have a decent amount of his comics and am very excited for the movie. But sometimes Thor just irritates me. Why? I mean come on.. A Norse God? That's kinda hard to swallow that a GOD would decide to hang out with a bunch of superheroes. Then they add characters from other mythologies such as Hercules. WTF? So I'm guessing that every mythology is real? It's just ya know... "
    I don't really understand what your problem is.Thor was forced by Odin to live amongst the Terrans as one of them to learn humility.So Donald Blake actually being Thor the God of Thunder was going to eventually cross paths with the Avengers.I don't get what's wrong with gods hanging out on Earth because in Greek Mythology the gods actually had spent much time on earth. Even one like Zues had, had many encounters with humans and animals.If you ask me you don't have a real reason to be irritated by Thor.
    SupaMan64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SupaMan64
    @Vance Astro:  I don't know, it's just hard for me to explain. I guess that's the thing that irritates me, I have no clue why he annoys me.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

Marvel's mythology is all together in a giant clusterf**k..... and for some reason that is just AWESOME. xD

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Vance Astro said:
    "Thor was forced by Odin to live amongst the Terrans as one of them to learn humility."
    Terrans? LOL Playing Starcraft Vance? :P

@SupaMan64:
    Both DC and Marvel have incorporated just about every damn real world mythology, and a couple of non existent ones, into their universes. Wonder Woman was recently seen fighting a son if an Aztec God. I guess they're reasoning with Why limit yourself to one set of God when there are so many great characters in others. And as far as I'm concerned, they're right.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " Marvel's mythology is all together in a giant clusterf**k..... and for some reason that is just AWESOME. xD "
    I agree, I think that's one think I do enjoy about it. You just don't know what they are, are they really gods, are they eternals playing gods, or are they some sort of extra-dimensional being, you just don't know and that's what I like best about them.
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Thor's hammmer
    @SupaMan64: 

the japanese, celtic, aztec and egypyian gods have all made apperances as well
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Primmaster64

I think they might be aliens or acient metahumans

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Magian

In DC the gods where created during the first passing of the Godwave. For the Marvel gods I'm not sure.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By danhimself
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " All depends on how you define the whole god thing. Think of them as ancient meta humans if it helps. Think Thor and thre Asgardians were revealed to be an Alien race at some point too. Maybe in Warren Ellis's run. "
    the were revealed to be aliens in Earth X
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Thor's hammmer

they are descended from elder gods who were created by the primal force of the universe that urges life to grow  

also odin banged his grandma  
    and zeus is Thor's nephew
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @danhimself: 

But didn't Ellis's run preceed  earth X?
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Primmaster64
    @danhimself said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " All depends on how you define the whole god thing. Think of them as ancient meta humans if it helps. Think Thor and thre Asgardians were revealed to be an Alien race at some point too. Maybe in Warren Ellis's run. "
    the were revealed to be aliens in Earth X "
    Yeah something to do with the celeastials
    MichaeltheFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#19  Edited By MichaeltheFly
    @danhimself said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @danhimself:   But didn't Ellis's run preceed  earth X? "
    I think that stands only for Earth X, since if I remember correctly Odin didn't have a grandfather, father and mother in that reality.

As for the fact that the made this thread is annoyed by something in Thor comics, just say it and be done with it.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By danhimself
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    Yeah something to do with the celeastials "
    they were in the 4th stage of mutation where their whole being is influenced by the thoughts and beliefs of those around them...so when they came to earth and landed in a Norse village the people there thought that they were their gods and those thoughts and beliefs turned them into the Norse gods and they have no memory of their past before earth

@Gylan Thomas:  I have no idea...I'm guessing that you're talking about Ellis's run on Thor but I've never read that

@Michael the Fly:  true....it never made it's way out of the Earth X trilogy and is considered noncanon to the 616 universe
    llagrok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By llagrok
    @SupaMan64: I think you'll have a hard time swallowing a LOT of comics, DC or Marvel, if the presence of a norse god annoys you. 

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Odin is a part of the skyfather's council, with the head of most pantheons known to us.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hamz

Marvel's take on mythology and the various pantheons found within it always annoys me because it feels awkward and like most of the Marvel universe it is far too focused and localised to the USA alone. 

Ultimate Thor had an interesting edge of mystery with an air of doubt over whether he was delusional or genuine in his belief and identity. I kind of wish that was how Marvel handled all of their mythological beings in general. A way for a more modern, sceptical world that relies on science rather than religious belief, to judge for themselves whether beings like Thor, Athena and Hercules etc are genuine figures of mythology or potential nutjobs.

Twelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Twelve

Thor annoys me too. he's not a baad superhero but i just dont like that type of character.. also all and any god just ant my piece of cake..
    xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xybernauts
    @Thor's hammmer said:
    " @SupaMan64:  the japanese, celtic, aztec and egypyian gods have all made apperances as well "
    Imagine if Yahweh decided to make an appearance. How would they pull that off. Mild mannered janitor by day God Almighty by night?  
    Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mooty_Pass

thor isnt annoying i love thor he is my second fav next to storm i like any superhero that controls the weather they are just awsome but the only thing i dont like 
    is that he needs a speacial belt to incease his strength if your a god shouldnt your strength be unlimited anyway thor is awsome i dont know whats wrong with you guys
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

I don't like Thor I don't like his attitude, his costume, or pretty much anything about him.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xybernauts

I never used to like Thor when he was just a human avatar carrying the spirit of Thor, but he's gotten better over the last decade. Now he's one of my faves.

Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fire-brand
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " Marvel's mythology is all together in a giant clusterf**k..... and for some reason that is just AWESOME. xD "
    i love the way you prased this. nicely done XD
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By IrishX

I tend to like "street level" characters which probably goes along with me not being a fan of Thor. So I understand OP.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Manchine

I would think Superheroes are modern day gods.  So it makes perfect sense that Thor hangs with other superheroes.
    llagrok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By llagrok
    @xybernauts said:
    " I never used to like Thor when he was just a human avatar carrying the spirit of Thor, but he's gotten better over the last decade. Now he's one of my faves. "
    Revealed to be Odin just messing with him.
    Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Nerx

The only annoying thing is just that they are nerfed down , like since when are God's that weak?

kareem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kareem

i always got the feeling that Marvel's "gods" were alternate reality beings who descended upon earth and the human who saw them mistook them for gods and made the stories that we all know.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By joshmightbe

mythology is the root of the concept of super heros so its perfectly fitting that myths have a place in comics

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.