Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

why out of all hero's THOR has to get picked on

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By THORSON

why out of all hero's THOR has to get picked on the most?

He is always getting disrespected.

He jobs to almost everyone, doesn't hog the spotlight like wolverine, he's loyal, wise, doesn't kill like he is the punisher, he has to protect 9 worlds (realms) while batman or spiderman are only protecting a city, he is different yet between all characters THOR gets bashed the most.

whether its about a movie or just THOR in general, people downgrade THOR and pick on him like he is a shrimp.

There is always something someone finds wrong with THOR.

yes another one of my THOR rants...so what? (not like anything happens on this site anyways.)

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

not like anything happens on this site? every time i refresh the page the topics update immediately haha

anyways he does get respected but he also does get respect in a sense. When something needs to be delt with Thor is a go to guy for muscle. When some fiercy reality bender, planet buster comes to town Thor is always showing his might. His respect thread is pretty good from what I have seen. At times the ways he are defeated are silly but on the flip side he is a guy universally known that you do not want to f*ck with. MOre than one villain has avoided confrontation with him

I love this. Everyone just stops what they are doing and listen to Thor in all his glory. His word was LAW
    I love this. Everyone just stops what they are doing and listen to Thor in all his glory. His word was LAW

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

At least he's not Paste Pot Pete!

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny, I thought Hulk was the guy bullied on this site.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Marvel has allowed this to happen so other characters can seem more powerful than they used to seem and so other, new characters, come off as being very powerful.

It's a terrible shame that it has happened and it's just one of many ways in which Marvel is going wrong.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Funny, I thought Hulk was the guy bullied on this site.

I wouldn't say bullied. You do have some people who do not like the character and degrade him at any opportunity. A lot I have noticed though is reactions to a few fanboys who think the Hulk is absolutely invincible and can beat the Living Tribunal if angry enough. Most people seem to see the Hulk as a tough guy on par with Thor, but not someone who can beat everyone and it annoys them when a few fans try to push him to far so they push the opposite way. There is also the argument (which I do think has some merit) of writers in comics and animation throwing Thor under the bus only for the a hulk to be brought in and be shown as the only one who can do anything right.

Marvel has allowed this to happen so other characters can seem more powerful than they used to seem and so other, new characters, come off as being very powerful.

It's a terrible shame that it has happened and it's just one of many ways in which Marvel is going wrong.

It is sad that this has happened though it has ceased to happen as much in the last year or so. Avengers vs X-Men and the few years before that were the big ones. Funny enough it used to be that is what Wonder Man was for it and kind of worked for him. He was powerful, but not as powerful as Thor or Hulk. He knows how to fight some, but is not a hardened warrior like them either.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RisingBean

@seekquaze: I can dig it. I am a big Hulk fan, but I know even he has limits. And I feel that quite often one of those limits is Thor. Not always, but often.

I'll be in the corner waiting for the fanboys to beat me to a pulp if you need me.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2/10 thread. Would not read again

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

not like anything happens on this site? every time i refresh the page the topics update immediately haha

anyways he does get respected but he also does get respect in a sense. When something needs to be delt with Thor is a go to guy for muscle. When some fiercy reality bender, planet buster comes to town Thor is always showing his might. His respect thread is pretty good from what I have seen. At times the ways he are defeated are silly but on the flip side he is a guy universally known that you do not want to f*ck with. MOre than one villain has avoided confrontation with him

Your caption is absolutely true! Thor's word was LAW. As it should've been in that situation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@thorson said:

why out of all hero's THOR has to get picked on the most?

Holy sweeping generalizations, Batman. There's plenty of heroes that get more hate than Thor.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

There are so many of these threads...

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generally Marvel's formula is

-Let characters shine in their solo title, especially powerhouses.

I.E. Thor literally absorbed a weapon/bomb that almost eliminated all pantheons in the universe and walked away to tell the story. His battle with Gorr traversed space and time, and his punches shook nearby planets.

-In team books, street-levelers or your basic superhumans have to seem relevant so they get major push, which will push aside the more powerful characters

I.E. Captain America, Wolverine playing major roles in big events like AVX and Age of Ultron, where really neither would stand a chance against forces like the Phoenix or Ultron.

-Also in team books, if you want to sell the threat of the villain/problem to the reader, have them greatly affect the most powerful members to illustrate how serious the threat is.

I.E. Thor has to take a beating from the Phoenix Force and the Phoenix-empowered mutants. He's basically the only one who can and get back up. in Age of Ultron (never read it), Thor was dead in the beginning of the story whereas Logan, Spider-Man and Hawkeye were still there.

It's really rather lazy storytelling but they happen to be selling books so they go with what works, and if a basic (albeit immature and childish) formula gets the fans buying copies, so be it. I do agree about the general lack of treatment Thor gets in the animated universe. In "Earth's Mightiest Heroes," the characters and stories were direct adaptations of the classics, so Thor was generally portrayed as a major powerhouse (along with Hulk) and had tremendous showings in battle. In "Assemble" they're almost idiotically trying to copy the live-action film, even having overused moments (like Hulk sucker-punching Thor) and dialogue lifted directly from the movie. Heck, the most recent episode showed Thor being affected by a gamma-virus that turned him into a "Hulked Up" version of himself, and the Hulk STILL kicked his ass. In EMH, the Gamma Radiation that blanketed the planet had zero effect on Thor and he (along with Hulk and Hawkeye) saved the planet. Marvel is clearly trying to make the distinction that Hulk is the "strongest" while Thor has a cool hammer that can channel lightning. I guess they feel it would be confusing to children showing that Thor is also incredibly strong and durable like Hulk.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kgb725

Hulk gets the most hate here

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Easy target. His fans are even easier to rile up.

ndm5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee:

I am a few episodes behind in 'Assemble', but please tell me there is some explanation for Thor being infected with gamma radiation...

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heck, the most recent episode showed Thor being affected by a gamma-virus that turned him into a "Hulked Up" version of himself, and the Hulk STILL kicked his ass

This is the episode that made me drop the series.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@venomoushatred1001 said:

@haveatthee said:
    Heck, the most recent episode showed Thor being affected by a gamma-virus that turned him into a "Hulked Up" version of himself, and the Hulk STILL kicked his ass

it was actually a decent episode, though again, because of the poor executed, in fell flat on it's face. thor should not have been affected by the Gamma radtion. plus hulk's always stronger with pure strength but beating Hulked up thor with a car was f*cking lame.

the idea wasn't bad though.

I thought it was poorly contrived and seemed like a 13 year old wrote the episode, literally. You don't have to shit on the other members of the team to give Hulk character growth. Thor and Hawkeye have been treated like side-show rejects in this show. And Black Widow hardly even appears.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@theacidskull said:

@venomoushatred1001 said:

@haveatthee said:

it was actually a decent episode, though again, because of the poor executed, in fell flat on it's face. thor should not have been affected by the Gamma radtion. plus hulk's always stronger with pure strength but beating Hulked up thor with a car was f*cking lame.

the idea wasn't bad though.

I thought it was poorly contrived and seemed like a 13 year old wrote the episode, literally. You don't have to shit on the other members of the team to give Hulk character growth. Thor and Hawkeye have been treated like side-show rejects in this show. And Black Widow hardly even appears.

Remember in the Gamma World episode of EMH? Where Thor was the only one immune to gamma radiation on account of him being an Asgardian god?

Ah those were the days....

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because its fun.

I kid, I kid. CIN.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Funny thing about Thor. I don't want to like him. I'm just not a fan of the muscled up powerhouse heroes. But, he has so many great stories. Simonson, Straczynski, now Aaron...awesome! He has one of the only decent Marvel animated movies (Hulk vs.) and the live action movie falls right behind the first Iron Man as one of my favorite Marvel Studios movies. By no means do I claim to be a Thor fanboy. But in spite of myself I do really enjoy the character.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Spideysense44

@thorson

because teasing Thor is all they can do unless they want a mouth full of MJOLNR!!!

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow I knew Jeph Loeb was blight on Marvel Animation but his fan wanking over Thor is as bad as Bruce Timm's love of making Batman outshine the Justice League seem tame. Truly I am grateful for ignoring this horrid crap of a cartoon. As to Thor being picked on so what Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Rogue, The Thing, Doctor Strange, and Cyclops they get picked on all the time. To me Thor will always be my favorite over Hulk better mythos, villains, and story's I can get behind.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By cameron83

I agree

@w0nd said:

I think he meant in the way that he is always being used as a jobber just so some second rate villain can get spotlight.

Or the way people on the battle forum make Thor one of the weakest characters. Seriously,some people argue that characters like Midnighter,Apollo,and Wonder Woman can beat him or are stronger than him. (Yes I said Midnighter).

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel do the same with Silver Surfur. The feeling is mutual, but you can also look at it like this. Much what PowerHerc said, some times when writers are introducing they make them beat Thor, the fact that Thor is the chosen one means a lot because they know how powerful he is. It not a good thing but then again, we can always say his holding back.

No Caption Provided

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya: Yeah Loeb is clearly not a big Thor fan. And he's horrible at animated shows.

Although the characters you brought up in your example of other heroes jobbing is weak. Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Rogue are most definitely pushovers when it comes to people like Dr. Strange, Thor or Silver Surfer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.