Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Why Isn't Thor Immortal?

• 76 results
    SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SodamYat

Thor is not immortal. In the issue that came out recently where its set in the far future and thors grand daughters make a magical spell that makes hybrid animals on earth, thor was on his last days. He was dying of old age.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which issue was that?

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: most of you are wrong.in Earth 616 which we are talking about all Gods are immortal(ageless,even Norse Gods without the golden apples).Odin lived for hundreds of thousands of years and he is still alive,Angela(daughter of Odin and Freya )for thousand(possible thousands)year(s).in the very old comics they were ageing but now they are not(although Odin looks old but I will explain now why).thing is,in Marvel everything dies in the end even Infinity and Eternity.

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

Thor is not immortal. In the issue that came out recently where its set in the far future and thors grand daughters make a magical spell that makes hybrid animals on earth, thor was on his last days. He was dying of old age.

This.

It happened in the issue that CM Punk wrote.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

This.

everything dies in Marvel.even Infinity and Eternity,as I wrote above.Thor will die of course.it means his time has come but he is immortal.its been stated 100 times that he is immortal,the thing is "everything dies in the end".

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:
    @truth_teller said:
    @sodamyat said:

This.

everything dies in Marvel.even Infinity and Eternity,as I wrote above.Thor will die of course.it means his time has come but he is immortal.its been stated 100 times that he is immortal,the thing is "everything dies in the end".

the reason thor is not immortal is because he's....not immortal. the issue in question tells us that.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:
    @truth_teller said:
    @sodamyat said:

This.

the reason thor is not immortal is because he's....not immortal. the issue in question tells us that.

dude you are missing my point.in Marvel its very complicated.Infinity and Eternity are said that they will die in the end when their time comes but they are immortal.any God will die but they are immortal.as a said "everything dies".

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@goodboy6 said:
    @truth_teller said:
    @sodamyat said:

This.

The One Above All won't. Neither will Living Tribunal. Or the greek Gods in the Marvel Universe.

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:
    @truth_teller said:
    @sodamyat said:

This.

The One Above All won't. Neither will Living Tribunal. Or the greek Gods in the Marvel Universe.

yea, so again, i'll point to the proof. as shown recently, thor is not immortal.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey said:
    @goodboy6 said:
    @truth_teller said:
    @sodamyat said:

This.

yea, so again, i'll point to the proof. as shown recently, thor is not immortal.

nope everything dies in the end except the Living Tribunal(although I think he is already dead)and One Above All.even Greek Gods.Greek Gods cannot die in real mythology yes, but in Marvel they can.besides Eternity and Infinity are the most powerful beings in the universe(except Living Tribunal and One Above All)and they will die.

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Truth_Teller

@goodboy6: You're saying thor will die. im glad you agree thor is not immortal.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@goodboy6 said:
    @truth_teller said:
    @petey_is_spidey said:
    @goodboy6 said:
    @truth_teller said:
    @sodamyat said:

This.

nope everything dies in the end except the Living Tribunal(although I think he is already dead)and One Above All.even Greek Gods.Greek Gods cannot die in real mythology yes, but in Marvel they can.besides Eternity and Infinity are the most powerful beings in the universe(except Living Tribunal and One Above All)and they will die.

No, Lee stated that, unlike their Norse counterparts, if the Greek Gods are killed it is very much possible for them to be revived.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:
    @truth_teller said:
    @petey_is_spidey said:
    @goodboy6 said:
    @truth_teller said:
    @sodamyat said:

This.

No, Lee stated that, unlike their Norse counterparts, if the Greek Gods are killed it is very much possible for them to be revived.

so are the Norse Gods.I dont know if you follow all comic books but they can be revived as well.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truth_teller: you are really missing my point.of course he will die.you are using the term immortal like we are using in real life.immortal in our reality means that nothing,literally nothing can kill that being.in Marvel its different.if you remove marvels "everything dies"then all Gods would be alive,as same for Eternity and Infinity.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Spiderman1997

Thor is not immortal because Norse Gods aren't immortal in the Norse Mythhology itself. Heck, Ragnarok revolves entirely around gods dieing.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He kinda is, he has died....but he has brought himself back to life

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death barely has any meaning to the Norse gods in Marvel anymore, especially Thor/Odin/Loki. Heck, death has no meaning anymore for anyone in comic books. Heck, when Thor died in Fear Itself, he willed himself back to life out of the demagurge (sp?).

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is not immortal because Norse Gods aren't immortal in the Norse Mythhology itself. Heck, Ragnarok revolves entirely around gods dieing.

Although even Ragnarok isn't the end, just part of the cycle of life/death/rebirth reflected in the natural world. The concept has been touched upon in the comics as well, though the gods had no memories or realization of previous cycles, kind of like hitting the "reset" button, lol! Anyway, @goodboy6 it seems now you're arguing more about whether Thor can be killed/die and agreeing with everyone he can, so the point is...???

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Though in the myths the Ragmarok happens and the surviving gods just carry on(Hoenir, Modi, Magni etc.) and rebuild Asgard and Midgard. @haveatthee: that's was written by Farction it doesn't count.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By GoodBoy6

@spiderman1997 said:

Although even Ragnarok isn't the end, just part of the cycle of life/death/rebirth reflected in the natural world. The concept has been touched upon in the comics as well, though the gods had no memories or realization of previous cycles, kind of like hitting the "reset" button, lol! Anyway, @goodboy6 it seems now you're arguing more about whether Thor can be killed/die and agreeing with everyone he can, so the point is...???

they are saying that the Greek Gods cannot die like in the mythology but they can.my point is that all Gods in Earth 616 are equal.

Avatar image for deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4
    deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: In Norse mythology, I don't think it was ever stated they die of old age. it says that they will look old af and their power will wane.

Angela is way older than Thor and she looks in her mid 20's.

Doom wanted to be immortal and make his army immortal so he targeted Asgardians.

I guess it depends on a writer.

Avatar image for lazarus4tempest
    lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

he is immortal he stays in a void until he is ready to go back to the physical plane.......

Avatar image for avengergamer676
    Avengergamer676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Avengergamer676

To some of the comments here:

I’m pretty sure this guy meant immortal as in Thor would be ageless. Thor is already incredibly difficult to kill. But this guy probably found it confusing how Asgardians still age, and they could potentially die on a fucking bed in their last moments. I have doubt he meant unkillable. So you can still have your ‘it makes them closer to humans’ reasoning or whatever

As for people saying it’s accurate to the Myths. Only the Icelandic Sources state the Norse Gods aren’t immortal, Danish Saxo Grammaticus calls the Norse Gods "dii immortalibus" meaning "immortal Gods." Snorri Sturluson says in the Ynglinga Saga that the Swedish believed that Norse Gods are immortal and would live forever. So Marvel would still be accurate if the Asgardians (Aesir and Vanir) were immortal. Could still include Ragnarok in it.

Avengergamer676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Actually, they where in some sources. Icelandic sources are the only ones that state they aren’t immortal.

Avengergamer676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadcool: he obviously meant immortal in the sense of agelessness. And it’s improved by the fact no earthly diseases affect them, their durability, healing factors, etc. But they could still die. Like the Olympians for example. He clearly isn’t saying Thor should be an omnipotent being.

Avengergamer676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: yet Old King Thor still isn’t dead yet. So this statement doesn’t mean much.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the Norse gods in mythology could die, because if characters are 100% immune to death it removes the stakes in their stories and because everyone can die in Marvel. Even cosmic powerhouses like Uatu, the Celestials and Galactus aren’t immune to death.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

immortality never made sense to me.

Greek gods were considered immortal. so if I cut off their heads what would happen?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.