Why is Thor's intelligence listed as 2?!

• 196 results
#1 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

According to the power grids Thor has an intelligence of 2, but the hulk has a rating of 6?! WTF? Someone explain..

#2 Posted by troller (911 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk has Bruce Banners' smarts, and Thor is a dum fck who just smashes stuff and cannot do ANY form of science, philosophy, theory, ideas.

In short its because Thor is dumb

#3 Posted by AweSam (7072 posts) - - Show Bio

@troller said:

Hulk has Bruce Banners' smarts, and Thor is a dum fck who just smashes stuff and cannot do ANY form of science, philosophy, theory, ideas.

#4 Posted by troller (911 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam said:

@troller said:

THIS

#5 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk has had Banner's intelligence recently. Thor doesn't display anything exactly intelligent as he merely yells in an old manner of speech and smashes things with his hammer blindly.

#6 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

if hulk gets his alter ego's intelligence then surely Thor should get Donald Blake's for example, plus he has a lot of divine wisdom which will have been given from odin..

#7 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Thunderer said:

if hulk gets his alter ego's intelligence then surely Thor should get Donald Blake's for example, plus he has a lot of divine wisdom which will have been given from odin..

That is true. 
Thor did show the ability to perform surgery in Mighty Thor #4 or 5 due to his bonding with a Doctor. 
Not quite sure he get's "divine wisdom" though. He's not Captain Marvel.
#8 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: I cba to quote it now, but you are probably familiar with the quote from stan lee regarding how Thor was supposed to be "stronger than Thor" but he went on to say "more intelligent in terms of wisdom than Reeed richards" I'm not saying he is as smart as reed, but I do think he is more than a 2

#9 Edited by AweSam (7072 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

@Kallarkz: I cba to quote it now, but you are probably familiar with the quote from stan lee regarding how Thor was supposed to be "stronger than Thor" but he went on to say "more intelligent in terms of wisdom than Reeed richards" I'm not saying he is as smart as reed, but I do think he is more than a 2

A Thor fan trying to prove Thor's "higher" intelligence is a disaster just waiting to happen.

#10 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam: when did i say he is higher intelligence?

#11 Posted by AweSam (7072 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

@AweSam: when did i say he is higher intelligence?

Saying he has a higher than the majority think. He hasn't really shown anything to prove how intelligent he is exactly, so we assume he's not.

#12 Posted by tensor (3512 posts) - - Show Bio

For a god that sucks but that is how it is

#13 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@tensor said:

For a god that sucks but that is how it is

How dare though say that!! Superman fanboy!! >:(

@AweSam said:

@The_Thunderer said:

A Thor fan trying to prove Thor's "higher" intelligence is a disaster just waiting to happen.

Thor is smarter than you think. Thor should atleast be a 3 or 4, as he is smart enough to lead groups & is smart from being Donald Blake. He is also smart with stuff on Midgard & Asgard XD ( I'm just trolling ), but he should atleast be 3 or 4.

#14 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4517 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is a warrior first, he lives by the hammer and thirst for battle. He is courageous, but he isn't the smartest hero out there, and he one of my favorites. That being said, I think his intelligence level is highly underestimated ,while it is clear that he's no Reed Richards, it's very obvious that he not on the level of a dumb Hulk incarnation.I'd give him at least a 4 or 5 just based on other worldly things and knowledge of events throughout history. There's also the fact that he one of the greatest fighters on the planet as far as stratigies and actually excuting them in hand to hand battle( General Ross as Rulk/Red Hulk ) even stated this during his first confrontation with Thor!

#15 Posted by darthmaulfistoman (82 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, I am going to argue both points.

Hulk is intelligent because of his alternate form of David Banner, but on the other hand, Thor is a god/ demigod/ whatever. He has to have at least some minimal brain power

#16 Posted by Billy Batson (56913 posts) - - Show Bio

Has he actually done anything to prove he's above 2?
BB

#17 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: donald Blake is a surgeon so that is above 2 by itself, plus he has good knowledge of all the 9 realms

#18 Posted by Joygirl (15337 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Thor doesn't display anything exactly intelligent, as he merely yells in an old manner of speech and smashes things with his hammer blindly.

#19 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Thor doesn't display anything exactly intelligent, as he merely yells in an old manner of speech and smashes things with his hammer blindly.

#20 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthmaulfistoman said:

Thor is a god/ demigod/ whatever. He has to have at least some minimal brain power

It states no where that being a "god" comes with the prerequisite of being intelligent.

#21 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

@Billy Batson: donald Blake is a surgeon so that is above 2 by itself, plus he has good knowledge of all the 9 realms

Being a surgeon doesn't exactly make you incredibly intelligent, it's merely a skill. As for the knowledge of Asgard's various realms, you would assume he would considering he's been alive for "X" amount of years.

#22 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4637 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never actually seen Thor read a book or properly use utensils when eating salad.

As far as I can tell he can only eat food that requires making a fist.

#23 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Im not saying incredibly so, but more than a two out of seven..

#24 Posted by SoA (4592 posts) - - Show Bio

"This day, i am offered a creamsicle" is funny to me idk why

#25 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: From what I've seen of Thor, he's never displayed anything to say otherwise. He lacks proper tactics and rarely ever solves problems outside of smashing objects. Before you repeat the statement involving him possessing Donald Blake's alter ego, keep in mind that he isn't even a master of his craft. Banner on the other hand is stated to be one of the 10 smartest minds on the Earth and is the absolute top of his respective field.

#26 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4517 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Has he done anything to prove that he is a 2 ?

#27 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who lived for multiple millenia would have to have more than a 2 out of 7 intelligence rating, just from observing their surroundings and events..

#28 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam said:

@troller said:

Donald Blake has a MD in Medicine and is one of the most respected Doctors in the world.

#29 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

He is more than 2..

#30 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4517 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Um, I've been to school , and have taken various classes to qualify for a rewarding career in the medical field! I have about a year and a half to go. That being said , no disrespect but you, but you have little, to no idea, what it takes to become a doctor, and the pressures for achieving the highest of grades, just to be accepted into various medical programs all in order to finally attain the title of Doctor. There's so much involved mentally, that your everyday walk of life person would find it an almost impossible to achieve such a feat. You should research the process in which it takes to become a doctor , before you make certain statements, about whether or not to call a Doctor a genious or not. And speakink of Thor intelligence level at 2, how many people has he revived using his lightning? Would a person with intellect of a 2 have the common sense to do this, ask yourself!

#31 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:

@Deranged Midget: Um, I've been to school , and have taken various classes to qualify for a rewarding career in the medical field! I have about a year and a half to go. That being said , no disrespect but you, but you have little, to no idea, what it takes to become a doctor, and the pressures for achieving the highest of grades, just to be accepted into various medical programs all in order to finally attain the title of Doctor. There's so much involved mentally, that your everyday walk of life person would find it an almost impossible to achieve such a feat. You should research the process in which it takes to become a doctor , before you make certain statements, about whether or not to call a Doctor a genious or not. And speakink of Thor intelligence level at 2, how many people has he revived using his lightning? Would a person with intellect of a 2 have the common sense to do this, ask yourself!

I've never seen Blake utilize anything that would classify him as a master surgeon or on the top of his field, so no, I'm not impressed. Banner is unmatched in his field and arguably one of the top 5 smartest people in the world. Hulk has a definitive reason to be ranked high in the intelligence category.

#32 Posted by LordMaverick (5187 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't even look at the power rankings, seriously..........

#33 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4637 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

I've never seen Blake utilize anything that would classify him as a master surgeon or on the top of his field, so no, I'm not impressed. Banner is unmatched in his field and arguably one of the top 5 smartest people in the world. Hulk has a definitive reason to be ranked high in the intelligence category.

Besides, anyone can be written to be a doctor. For example, the entire cast of Scrubs.

#34 Posted by SC (11952 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't really have to do with any of the reasons listed so far (kinda), and all to do with how the OHotMU is compiled and how the categories and rankings are compiled and established. Hulk and Banner's relationship are different to Thor and Blake's, and with Hulk they have decided to add and use Banner's demonstrated intelligence as Hulk's intelligence rank (at least in many I have seen, I have seen others where he is listed as a 2) and well with strength, the way they put rankings is based on a few things. not entirely certain here, but creator input seems probable, now and then, and then its about demonstrated objective numbers. A 4 in strength won't lift more than 25 tons. If that character on average lifts more than 25 tons, then they are put in the 5 category. It might not be an accurate reflection on the actual character and their abilities, but its probably the best, and cleanest and efficient way of ascertaining (5000 plus) characters levels. I mention strength because in comparison to intelligence its less ambiguous. I mean you lift over 100 tons, your in rank 7 in strength. Nice, clean and easy. What separates a 2 from a 3 in intelligence and how exactly that is determined by comics? (2 is normal, and 3 is learned) Well. So fictional character. Thor (or any character) might be seen and written by some writers as a 4 or 1, but its at a OHotMU writers discretion what intelligence he has demonstrated. I do know they don't count Donald Blake with Thor, since Blake is at minimum, consistency wise a 3. (like all characters who have studied past high school seem to get automatically at the minimum)       

#35 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

@Deranged Midget said:

#36 Edited by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA: @Deadcool: @evilvegeta74: This is what the grids say 2 = Normal

3 = Learned

4 = Gifted

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/universe/OHOTMU:Power_Grids#ixzz1vgETLoqt

I think everyne should accept that despite his stupidity when it comes to fighting(something he and hulk share, the same hulk who has 6 intelligence!) he must be at least learned if not gifted due to his vast lifespan and experience as a surgeon...

#37 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is more wise than book smart.

#38 Posted by troller (911 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam said:

@The_Thunderer said:

THIS

#39 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress: yeah i agree, but regardless he is more than a 2

#40 Posted by troller (911 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: Thor is not above average intelligence, look upon these and cry:

Look at his little pig snout.

#41 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@troller: pics aren't showing try again..

#42 Posted by ThePhoenX (118 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by warlord1234 (1215 posts) - - Show Bio

You should not foucs on what it say on the power grid especaliy when it comes to intelligence. Marvel intelligence systems is not ranked on how smart the individual is the system is ranked on how much level of expertise the individual various types of intellecual field have in field for example Magneto and Mr Sinister is smarter then Reed and Doom in genetics but Reed and Doom intelligence is highter then Magneto and Mr Sinster because they more areas of expertise in certin intellecual field. Overal Reed is smater then Doctor Octopus bcause he has more then one area of exertise but Reed did admit that Doctor Octopus was his better in radiation.

Like i said before marvel intelligence system is not ranked on the individual congtive abilites/thinking skills such has logical thinking, problem solving skills, abstract thinking or creative thinking. There are number of characters that has better intellectual feat(raw thinking them some of marvel top egghead) such has Overmind(Grom) he use his intelligence to a solve a complex defence system which was the one the Stanger technogies in mere seconds has if it was childplay, he also figure out how to use his technology at a fast past which is increabile because the Stanger has one of the most advance technologies in the marvel universe. He also demonstrate the ability to scheme and strategize on a global scale in a mere hour that should not be suprise since he comes from a advanced society but his intelligence is ranked has gifted and he intelligence that is beyond that level. There much more characters who have shown super intelligence due to raw intellectual skills such has Athena, Vsion, The Leader and Adam Warlock.

Whoever thinks Thor is not smart has does not know the character well if he was not smart he would have not been able to wield his hammer. His hammer was not just created to test him on his characters it was also tested on his abilites has a king. Every since Thor was young he has been bred to be a king.

#44 Posted by ThePhoenX (118 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

He's as dumb as a pile of bricks.

#46 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iamlovewithin500: can you read? Or are you ignorant?

#47 Posted by eardrum73 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

If the writers keep making Thor engage his enemies in melee instead of using his other powers than yes unfortunately he deserves a 2.

Not very tactical and not always the smartest thing to do. I mean the Thor vs Hulk fights show this more than anything else. Its almost as if he's reluctant to use his other powers. Deserves a two really. Even though a 2 its kinda sad for a thousand year old Thunder God that has travelled the nine realms, deep space and experience countless battles, adventures and ordeals.

#48 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

According to the power grids Thor has an intelligence of 2, but the hulk has a rating of 6?! WTF? Someone explain..

Yeah. Marvel is just clueless these days about how Thor was originally supposed to be written or just don't care. The original blue print for the character was someone who was stronger than the Hulk and smarter than Mr Fantastic. Obviously, Thor is not intellectually as great as Reed Richards, but he is much wiser than Reed.

Or he was supposed to be.

#49 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Thunderer said:

@Iamlovewithin500: can you read? Or are you ignorant?

#50 Posted by warlord1234 (1215 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malevolent1 said:

@The_Thunderer said:

Yeah. Marvel is just clueless these days about how Thor was originally supposed to be written or just don't care. The original blue print for the character was someone who was stronger than the Hulk and smarter than Mr Fantastic. Obviously, Thor is not intellectually as great as Reed Richards, but he is much wiser than Reed.

Or he was supposed to be.

Take no notice about marvel stats. These source of information are not accurate. If they were then Adam Warlock intelligence would have been superhuman the same has Overmind, Vison and Athena they have displayed thinkings skills that would that should rank them has super intelligent. The only way writers can display intelligence in comics is via science. Intelligence is not scientific skills it is thinking skills most scientific discovery especially atoms have been discovered through logical deducation(which was intelligence primay is despite the fact that they are different types of intelligence) by drawing conclusion that types of thinking procces can be applied to anything not just science such has solving crime, trying to make the right descion and much more. Take the film Limtless for example the main character gain super intelligence but instead of learning science he dircted his intelligence toward finance and became a finamcial whiz. There are lot of people that are ranked has genius that are not invole in science Shakespeare is one example. It rarely happen in comics the only few people who are known has genius put do not specialize in science are TAO( anthropologist, political science and the human mind these are still science but it soft science most people don't regard these subject to be science) and Serpentor(military strategy and tactics, political intrigue and oratory skills). It just writers being lazy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.