Why do you like Thor?

• 66 results
#1 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

this isnt a hate thread. I just wanted to know why you guys love thor.

#2 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio

These might help you understand:

and:

#3 Posted by Agent9149 (2868 posts) - - Show Bio

He is unconventional. His power comes from Mjo-Mjo, which makes him unique. He's always holding back and is mercyful. He always wants to help, and is the first one to sign up to help save the earth when things get rough. To me he's the Western Male Version of Sailor Moon.

#4 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's The God Of Thunder.

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24736 posts) - - Show Bio

Do I need a reason?

#6 Posted by OmegaRed86 (501 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149 said:

He is unconventional. His power comes from Mjo-Mjo, which makes him unique. He's always holding back and is mercyful. He always wants to help, and is the first one to sign up to help save the earth when things get rough. To me he's the Western Male Version of Sailor Moon.

...........Sailor Moon.......

#7 Posted by jhazzroucher (16504 posts) - - Show Bio

Becuase he's cool and he's powerful. : )

#8 Posted by SoA (5247 posts) - - Show Bio

though im seen hating on him... a lot, i do like Thor as far his abilities should make him out to be. as for super heroics thats when he gets shafted and he becomes a big joke. but when he is off facing cosmic entities and holding his own it is impressive (yes even when he loses). the deviants saga and the ultimates and even some recent issues of his solo series got me liking him to an extant.

it would be nice if marvel could have him as top tier (actual top tier) and not sometimes he is all powerful god of storms ,then knock him on his butt by something ridiculous . its pretty bad that everyone has their own clone or double and your less cool than yours. Yes i like beta ray bill the same way Thor fan boys love Thor . but it doesn't make sense does it? virtually same abilities and yet think BRB is one of the most powerful beings in marvel , gods and the like aside . technically speaking BRB should have been forgotten like so many other clones of heroes and Thor should have minis with the annihilators and yet...

#9 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the mythology and the other Asgardian characters. I like Thor because he's noble, can be jolly and friendly, but also be serious and badass when fighting. Also, he's powerful, has interesting abilities, and Mjolnir is cool.

Can't help but love the way he talks as well (as long as it's not overdone). I say thee NAY!

#10 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

the hair

#11 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything.

#12 Posted by bgibs13390 (913 posts) - - Show Bio

I love his fighting spirit. Truly he is a "Warrior Born". He is the Avengers big gun. No matter who they face Thor is never really taken aback. He is always the first into battle and the last to retreat. He is the most powerful hero on Earth even if he is sometimes not written that way. In his solo series he taken on Galactius and Silver Surfer. He takes it to beings like Surfer and the Hulk and Thanos. His hammer is one of if not the best weapon in comics (barring weapons like the cosmic cube and IG). I also love the way he talks.

#13 Edited by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio

The beard.

And the fact he is a total badass.  Sure, he is flawed but it wouldn't be fun if he was never on the receiving end.

#14 Posted by Thundergoose84 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I posted this a while ago but I'll repost it because my position has not changed, fair warning it's a little all over the place. I was really into mythology as a kid. When I first picked up my issue of Thor #500 I instantly switched from preferring Greek myths to Norse mythology. The fact that these gods were immortal and mortal all at once struck a chord with me, I always admired how they were destined to die and they knew this but they still faced their deaths without fear. I noticed that sentiment transferred well into the Thor comics, I don't know that I have ever seen Thor afraid or hesitate to jump into a fight even when the odds are stacked against him. The events in Avengers Versus X-men have been a little rough for die hard Thor fans, but I'm still impressed that he keeps fighting against the Phoenix even though he isn't powerful enough to solo the bird. I've had slightly mixed feelings about some of the recent big events. For example, in Fear Itself Thor attacked the Serpent head on and did not hesitate. To me that is the ideal hero, he gave it his all despite the fact that all throughout the series he was destined to die. This is an admirable and constant trait I have seen him display again and again.

Another great example of Thor's amazing awesomeness, Onslaught; I recall Thor was the first to jump in and try to contain Onslaught despite the fact he alone could not contain him. That kind of bravery may be commonplace in most comics, but to me Thor did these things so much more epically and fuller of awesomeness. Also since we are talking about that era of comics, does anyone remember that in the Heroes Return mini it was Thor who saved Franklin from becoming a victim of Doom and selflessly sacrificed himself to ensure his safety? Truly a stellar and heroic moment. Also, in my opinion, Thor can now be credited with saving the world during the last three big Marvel events. To get specific, he saved the Earth from the bomb planted in Wasp during Secret Invasion (granted at the cost of her life, which he truly regretted when he mourned her death with Hank), he had the kill blow on Sentry during Siege and was the only force that could go toe to toe with the Void (another moment where I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see how that fight panned out), and he put the Odinsword, Ragnarok, through the head of a huge dragon to save the world from being razed by Asgard or taken over by Dark Asgard in Fear Itself.

Moving on from these reasons; can anyone really say Thor doesn't have an impressive power set? I mean strength, flight, invulnerability, weather control, earth manipulation, understanding of magic, and he can talk to frogs!!! To me magic based heroes are a funner read and have better adventures and I know that is a personal choice, but there ya go. I like the spread shots an artist does with Thor unleashing a storm on his opponent or using the God Blast or even just whirling Mjolnir. Overall, Thor has incredible powers that he uses liberally and to satisfying results, in my opinion.

Lastly, I really enjoy the opponents Thor faces either on his own or in groups. I love the Asgardian based villains and it's also a real treat for me to see him face off against immense powers associated with other heroes. Some prime examples of this would be him facing Thanos back in his second series, and also when he fought Apocalypse in the new Avengers series. Those were very satisfying battles to me, because they were battles; epic in scope and context.

So those are the reasons that I love Thor and why I think he's a great hero.

#15 Posted by God_Spawn (38317 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the code of honor yet lust for battle. Mjolnir is an awesome weapon and Thor's character personality is pretty cool. Overall, I think he is a great character and straight up badarse with a heart of gold.

#16 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10130 posts) - - Show Bio

He was a Frog once.

#17 Posted by OmegaRed86 (501 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thundergoose84 said:

I posted this a while ago but I'll repost it because my position has not changed, fair warning it's a little all over the place. I was really into mythology as a kid. When I first picked up my issue of Thor #500 I instantly switched from preferring Greek myths to Norse mythology. The fact that these gods were immortal and mortal all at once struck a chord with me, I always admired how they were destined to die and they knew this but they still faced their deaths without fear. I noticed that sentiment transferred well into the Thor comics, I don't know that I have ever seen Thor afraid or hesitate to jump into a fight even when the odds are stacked against him. The events in Avengers Versus X-men have been a little rough for die hard Thor fans, but I'm still impressed that he keeps fighting against the Phoenix even though he isn't powerful enough to solo the bird. I've had slightly mixed feelings about some of the recent big events. For example, in Fear Itself Thor attacked the Serpent head on and did not hesitate. To me that is the ideal hero, he gave it his all despite the fact that all throughout the series he was destined to die. This is an admirable and constant trait I have seen him display again and again.

Another great example of Thor's amazing awesomeness, Onslaught; I recall Thor was the first to jump in and try to contain Onslaught despite the fact he alone could not contain him. That kind of bravery may be commonplace in most comics, but to me Thor did these things so much more epically and fuller of awesomeness. Also since we are talking about that era of comics, does anyone remember that in the Heroes Return mini it was Thor who saved Franklin from becoming a victim of Doom and selflessly sacrificed himself to ensure his safety? Truly a stellar and heroic moment. Also, in my opinion, Thor can now be credited with saving the world during the last three big Marvel events. To get specific, he saved the Earth from the bomb planted in Wasp during Secret Invasion (granted at the cost of her life, which he truly regretted when he mourned her death with Hank), he had the kill blow on Sentry during Siege and was the only force that could go toe to toe with the Void (another moment where I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see how that fight panned out), and he put the Odinsword, Ragnarok, through the head of a huge dragon to save the world from being razed by Asgard or taken over by Dark Asgard in Fear Itself.

Moving on from these reasons; can anyone really say Thor doesn't have an impressive power set? I mean strength, flight, invulnerability, weather control, earth manipulation, understanding of magic, and he can talk to frogs!!! To me magic based heroes are a funner read and have better adventures and I know that is a personal choice, but there ya go. I like the spread shots an artist does with Thor unleashing a storm on his opponent or using the God Blast or even just whirling Mjolnir. Overall, Thor has incredible powers that he uses liberally and to satisfying results, in my opinion.

Lastly, I really enjoy the opponents Thor faces either on his own or in groups. I love the Asgardian based villains and it's also a real treat for me to see him face off against immense powers associated with other heroes. Some prime examples of this would be him facing Thanos back in his second series, and also when he fought Apocalypse in the new Avengers series. Those were very satisfying battles to me, because they were battles; epic in scope and context.

So those are the reasons that I love Thor and why I think he's a great hero.

Great post!

#18 Posted by Jodez (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Cow of Thunder!!

#19 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jodez said:

Cow of Thunder!!

What the...

#20 Posted by Jodez (150 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic: Greatest picture ever

#21 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jodez said:

Cow of Thunder!!

Haha, so we now have Bat Cow and Thunder Cow

#22 Posted by thesilentghost (240 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic incarnation.

#23 Posted by TheCannon (19434 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

Everything.

This.

#24 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

To me Thor is Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#25 Posted by OmegaRed86 (501 posts) - - Show Bio

I can never understand why people don't like Thor. The guy's a hero in two different worlds and is willing to die to protect others. No bad boy attitude and no pretentious bullshit. A man's man.

#26 Posted by thorbuscus (4 posts) - - Show Bio

the can go through portals

#27 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

I grew up watching "Superfriends" cartoons when I was a kid. I liked Superman and especially the "Shazam" TV series. Later, my buddy at school brought some Marvel action figures, including The Thing and Thor. I started picking up Thor comic books and was hooked. Later, I started reading all of Stan Lee's books, Origins of Marvel Comics, Son of Origins, The Greatest Superhero Battles, Bring on The Bad Guys, etc...I was immediately drawn to the seriousness of the Marvel books, vs the DC books that seemed more addressed to kids at that time.

I always liked the heavyweights and Thor, to me, at the time, was the ultimate heavyweight.

#28 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Thor because:

• He's one of the most noblest, most honorable characters anywhere ever.
  • He's physically one of the strongest and most durable characters ever.
  • He's a true warrior with a will and the heart to never ever give up, no matter what.
  • He's the owner and wielder of the best weapon in all of comics; Mjolnir - The Hammer of the Gods
  • He's an Asgardian God, their God of Thunder to be precise, whose existence is much more than mere human, alien, mutant or some other science fiction.
  • He was conceived and created to be Marvel's most powerful superhero (which he is, imo).
#29 Posted by lanebad6 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude he has a mystical hammer that he uses to bash peoples faces in and he zaps people with lightening, thats my reasons.

#30 Posted by OmegaRed86 (501 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

I like Thor because:

• He's a true warrior with a will and the heart to never ever give up, no matter what.
  • He's the owner and wielder of the best weapon in all of comics; Mjolnir - The Hammer of the Gods
  • He's an Asgardian God, their God of Thunder to be precise, whose existence is much more than mere human, alien, mutant or some other science fiction.
  • He was conceived and created to be Marvel's most powerful superhero (which he is, imo).

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#31 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

to me he's just a badass god and the asgardian mythology is pretty interesting ! besides, i like his villians like loki, surter & the enchantress.

#32 Posted by Alexander Anderson (4030 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor, and all attempts to integrate Norse and Classical mythology into mainstream comics for that matter, are just really weird. You have this world based heavily in science, with most characters having science-based powers and fighting foes created by mad science. And all of a sudden, here's...the Norse God of Thunder? Uh, okay then.

Maybe it's that weirdness that makes Thor so effective. He seems out of place and otherworldly, something even the super geniuses he fights with have problems understanding. That makes me buy into him as a god and a symbol of righteous power. It's the same thing Superman and many other flying bricks go for, but few pull it off as well as Thor does.

Plus, his costume is the definition of old-school awesome. Just put a few lightning bolts behind that thing and you're in business.

#33 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@Alexander Anderson said:

Thor, and all attempts to integrate Norse and Classical mythology into mainstream comics for that matter, are just really weird. You have this world based heavily in science, with most characters having science-based powers and fighting foes created by mad science. And all of a sudden, here's...the Norse God of Thunder? Uh, okay then.

Maybe it's that weirdness that makes Thor so effective. He seems out of place and otherworldly, something even the super geniuses he fights with have problems understanding. That makes me buy into him as a god and a symbol of righteous power. It's the same thing Superman and many other flying bricks go for, but few pull it off as well as Thor does.

Plus, his costume is the definition of old-school awesome. Just put a few lightning bolts behind that thing and you're in business.

Haha, I pretty much agree with you on that, it's kinda why I love Thor. I could read a comic about Marvel's Thor outside of the superhero universe quite happily, because he has such a rich world (Supporting characters, villains, creatures, weapons, magic, Nine Realms etc), but I also like seeing him interact with humans and heroes. It's awesome... and sometimes quite funny.

#34 Posted by fondofpacman (572 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: @PowerHerc said:

I like Thor because:

Where'd you hear that he was created to be Marvel's most powerful hero if you don't mind me asking?

#35 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

@fondofpacman: I read it in "Origins of Marvel Comics" by Stan Lee.

#36 Edited by fondofpacman (572 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: That's interesting. My immediate reaction was to question why Stan didn't mention Dr. Strange when thinking of Marvel's most powerfull hero, but then I just looked at the first appearances of the two characters and saw "Journey into Mystery #83 (Aug. 1962)" VS "Strange Tales #110 (July 1963)", which definitely doesn't cause any conflicts with the initial gameplan for Thor comics since the Doc didn't see his first appearance until 14 months after Thor. Also, I guess Dr. Strange's "purpose" was more to explore the boundaries of the Marvel Universe anyway, and the first few months of Strange Tales comics had lots of mystery and ambiguity surrounding Dr. Strange's actual power, whereas Thor was very blatantly a massive powerhouse from the beginning.

I generally like Thor as a character, but sometimes I feel like he was almost Marvel's answer to Superman...although I guess there's always room in a comic publisher's universe for at least one massively powerful character, and Thor would actually fight guys as strong or stronger than him on a regular basis, like Absorbing Man or Surtur, whereas early Superman rarely fought guys on his powerlevel...which was my main gripe with the character.

#37 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

@fondofpacman said:

@PowerHerc: Thor would actually fight guys as strong or stronger than him on a regular basis, like Absorbing Man or Surtur, whereas early Superman rarely fought guys on his powerlevel...which was my main gripe with the character.

Agree 100%.

#38 Posted by thesilentghost (240 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

I like Thor because:

Only one appropiate response to the bolded part:

#39 Posted by TheMightyHerc (131 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

I like Thor because:

I'm agree with you my friend..

He's the [frick]ing God of Thunder one of the best Characters in mainstream comics..

#40 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheMightyHerc said:

@PowerHerc said:

I like Thor because:

I'm agree with you my friend..

He's the [frick]ing God of Thunder one of the best Characters in mainstream comics..

Aye, verily!

#41 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

Always had an interest in Norse mythology. And Greek. And Egyptian. And Chinese, to a significantly lesser extent.

Thor is the most predominant of those choices in comics. Though their Hathor is also pretty awesome.

#42 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: such an awesome page. i love it when thor does pop culture.

#43 Edited by Agent9149 (2868 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaRed86 said:

@Agent9149 said:

...........Sailor Moon.......

Yes. they have many similarites

both are royalty, based on mythology, parent is the big boss of their kingdom, have a magically item that gives them all their power, chose to live on earth and protect it rather than their own kingdoms and more

#44 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: Haha, I love that!

#45 Posted by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio

Because I was fond of mythology (mainly greek, and a little bit Egyptian), and he has made me known the North mythology.

I like his knightly attitude, and the fact he never gives up.

And his emotional life is interesting. :)

#46 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Thor's mythology, both in comics and real life. I also love the fact he is a born warrior through and through.

For an odd reason I like the way he talks.

#47 Posted by rowan1018 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jodez said:

Cow of Thunder!!

so is this the Indian deity version of thor

#48 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

2 words... BAD... ASS....

#49 Posted by GodOfMischief (641 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's unique compared to many of the other characters in Marvel, I love the fact that he's actually the God of Thunder as well. Also the fact that he has a great sense of honour, his level of patience with his brother has got to be respected as well lmao.

#50 Edited by Asagod (292 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thundergoose84: Just Amazing Post!!!

Well, I actually don't LIKE Thor;

I LOVE Thor!!! and the reasons are almost the same as yours...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.