Who's the Greatest Thor?

• 111 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
 The Thor Corps was not actually an 80s hair metal band.

Isn't it pointless to ask who the best Thor is? Out of all the names in the superheroic tradition, his would seem the hardest to make into a legacy mantle. Iron Man can lend his armors out and Cap can pass his shield down, but only the worthiest of the worthy can even lift Mjolnir off the ground. Thor is Thor. He's immortal and he's never going to age enough to take his feathered helmet off for anybody. That’s that. Or is it? Would you believe that Thor actually had his own corps (yes, the rhyme is intentional) like Green Lantern and Captain Britain’s? It’s been almost 20 years since they last assembled, so I won’t fault any of you maniacs for not being too familiar with them. 

While you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who thinks Thor isn't the best Thor, it's still fun to discuss how these other mens' styles of thunder godhood have so greatly differed. In honor of the spectacular trailer you all just watched recently, I figured it was appropriate to spotlight characters whom I deeply doubt we'll ever get to see on screen. If, somehow, Thor were to go into the old Odinsleep once again, which one of these heroes could fill in for him? == TEASER ==

THUNDERSTRIKE (First Appeared: THOR #391)

Out of all these would-be thunder gods, Eric Masterson is the only one who actually was Thor (both in title and in embodiment.) An architect who became Thor's civilian identity as part of another of Odin's punishment, he'd swap places with Goldilocks, Shazam style, and eventually got good enough to take over the role for a while. After a big mistake, he got demoted to the Thunderstrike identity, but received the consolation prize of his own enchanted mace. The character's more known for being dead now (dying in a fight with Bloodaxe,) but you can't think of a more fitting solution to humanizing Thor than a working class mortal who rocks a leather jacket over a regal red cape. 

BETA RAY BILL (THOR #337)

Undoubtedly the oddest bird on the list, Bill's also the most controversial. While today’s readers are perhaps more accepting of a cyborg, alien Thor, creator Walt Simonson has often spoken about how revolted fans were by the prospect of a superhero this gruesome. Thors should be handsome, right? Odin granted him his own hammer, the more gavel-like Stormbreaker, after he proved worthy of Mjolnir and defeated the Odinson in combat. These days, you can expect this Korbinite to show up for almost every cosmic affair (why, he was just recently in THE THANOS IMPERATIVE). I’ll always root for him for being such an aggressive example of why you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. He's the hero who looks likes a villain, the gallant defender who appears to be a horrible monster. 

RED NORVELL (THOR #273)

Very much the red-headed stepchild here, Roger Norvell was an impostor set up by devious Aesir. Part of a documentary team Loki brought to photograph Asgard, he was given enchanted garments to battle Thor for his sometimes-paramoure, Sif (though they'd all mend fences later.) After ONSLAUGHT, Red filled in during the Lost Gods era of JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY and proved to be the ultimate fall guy. It turned out that Odin pushed him forward to die in Thor’s place to both fufill and delay the Ragnarok prophecy.

DARGO (THOR #384)

The closest thing to a Superboy for Thor, Dargo Ktor came (or comes?) from a dystopian future ruled by evil corporations. He was part of the Cult of the Hammer that's devoted to the thunder god but, thankfully, unlike the first Gog, this hero worshipper from the future didn't harbor an insatiable, deadly grudge against his idol. Little has been done with this guy since his days in the Thor Corps almost two decades ago, but I reckon it’s only a matter of time before he shows up somewhere. There's a lot untapped potential in a younger Thor with some rock 'n roll attitude. When it does happen, you can impress your pals by saying you already knew the skinny on this obscure character and didn't have to look him up.

THUNDERSTRIKE II (THOR #392)

Thunderstrike’s son, young master Kevin’s had an unusual career, by-the-by. The bulk of his appearances have actually been as a grown-up in A-Next, the latter-day Avengers of the MC2 future. However, we all know that children age rapidly in the Marvel Universe (even as adults’ ages stay frozen) and this timeline’s finally caught up with that future as Kevin’s finally grown old enough to wield his father's magical mace. An angry young man who blames the entire cape community for his dad's death, Kevin’s only just recently started his adventuring and he's been magically transforming into the spitting image of his old man. Out of all the would-be Thors on this list, he’s the one who will most likely prove important in the near future. Surely, he will challenge Thor soon to settle the perceived wrong that's been inflicted upon his family and then, who knows, maybe son will imitate father even more by taking the mantle of Thor, too. 

In addition to all these broard-shoulder gentlemen,  I should also mention Thor's evil clone robot Ragnarok, his would-be sidekick, Thor Girl, the cuckoo bananas false prophet Thor from the Ultimate Universe and, of course, the one to unite Asgard with New Genesis, Thorion.  

Once again, I put the question to you Comic Vine maniacs... were the hammer to ever fall out of Thor's grasp once again, which of these worthy warriors would you want want to wield it in his stead?

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

#1 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly? Outside of Thor...as in THOR...I really only like to acknowledge Beta Ray Bill. The others didn't happen if you ask me.

#2 Posted by thecheckeredman (398 posts) - - Show Bio

THROG! 

#3 Posted by Brok82 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Thor Girl?

#4 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio

BILL!!
#5 Posted by Backflip (2262 posts) - - Show Bio

If Thor lost the right to Mjlonir, in this modern era I'd want Thor Girl to take it up. Although, of course it'd just be given to Beta Ray Bill.

#6 Posted by Vitality (1762 posts) - - Show Bio

Vincent D'Onofrio     

#7 Edited by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought female Thor was pretty cool.

Earth-9997 Earth X

Earth-9997 Earth X
#8 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus said:
" Honestly? Outside of Thor...as in THOR...I really only like to acknowledge Beta Ray Bill. The others didn't happen if you ask me. "
I concur
#9 Posted by batman_is_god (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

PFFT Thor is the only Thor. 

Replacing heroes is just as generic of a comic idea as clones and death-rebirth
#10 Posted by SBomb232 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Beta Ray Bill!

#11 Posted by Soldier zero (250 posts) - - Show Bio

I admit I'm partial to Eric as Thunderstrike, especially for his massive gallery of support characters and the common guy feeling they added, but I have to admit his costume was downright terrible.

Bill is probably the best "replacement".

Red was closer to the myth version of Thor but looked and feeled out of place in the MU with his constant remarks about being bigger and cooler than the original.

Kevin in MC2 was... good even if a bit flat character, in the regular MU his character is still in development.

#12 Posted by Jake Fury (18389 posts) - - Show Bio

#13 Posted by Vitality (1762 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly.... 

Ultimate Thor is my favorite 

#14 Edited by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's give some <3 to THOR GIRL 

#15 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was obvious.. 

Tis Beardy Thor...!  Yummmmm....
Although I can't help but adore Baby Thor & Baby Horse-Face too...
#16 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

the original followed by bill
#17 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

#18 Posted by IrishX (2354 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vitality said:
" Vincent D'Onofrio     

"

Nice. Adventures in Babysitting...... 

My vote goes to Bill.
#19 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

THOR 

#20 Posted by dondasch (926 posts) - - Show Bio

I was aware of course of  Eric Masterson as Thor.  Was he the one that Thanos turned into glass and shattered during The Infinity Gauntlet ?  Knew some about Beta Ray Bill and little to nothing on Thor Girl.  Good write up.  For me, I guess it will always be Eric Masterson as Thor

#21 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

Horseface ftw 

#22 Edited by Hellos (8914 posts) - - Show Bio

Outside the one and true God of Thunder, THE SON OF ODIN! THOR!

X-Factor 211

Horseface. 

#23 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus said:
" Honestly? Outside of Thor...as in THOR...I really only like to acknowledge Beta Ray Bill. The others didn't happen if you ask me. "
what are you kidding me  thor girl is awesome!!!!

HAVE AT THEE

@Jordanstine:
:)  glad you like Thor Girl too. 
#24 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio

ok so can someone explain more about that red norvell thing?  it sounds unlike odin to use someone like that.  

also, i just remembered that there was Thor Girl Skrull:

glad you made this list.  it was very informative. 
#25 Posted by mickoreo_LZ (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not even up for debate. Thor and Beta Ray Bill are the only two who should even be acknowledged

#26 Posted by thecheckeredman (398 posts) - - Show Bio

Man...tough crowd...no love for the FROG OF THUNDER! 

(:o(

#27 Posted by Sir Duke (116 posts) - - Show Bio

How can we forget about the most powerful person to ever wield Mjolnir?  Superman.

#28 Edited by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

BETA RAY BILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Don't get me wrong I really like Thor but Bill just has that horsey charisma!!!!
#29 Edited by Gennadius (244 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool ofcourse 

#30 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2240 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Thunderstrike II, instead of rebooting Thunderstrike the way they are now, 
maybe they should have brought this guy in to modern comics instead of future comics:

#31 Posted by Namor1987 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jordanstine:  Thor Girl is hot in that top picture but Beta Ray Bill takes the cake with 1st choice, 2nd Thor Odinson aka Donald Blake & 3rd Chris Hemsworth.
#32 Posted by emmbro30 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

Just out of curiosity what about Magni  or

Woden ?
#33 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio

How can Frog Thor (Puddlegulp) not get a mention in this article! I am outraged! >__< 

#34 Posted by MrLeadFoot (9 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vitality: First Thor that came to my mind!
#35 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly does anyone know what happened to Thor Girl after Avengers The Initiative? She was suppose to be heading towards Oklahoma to warn Balder about Ragnarok (clone Thor) but she never showed up, not even during the Seige Thor tie-ins. What's up with that?

#36 Posted by Dr. Detfink (460 posts) - - Show Bio

C'mon it's HHH... :)

#37 Edited by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio

There is just one real deal...

They are not the real deal, all of them are just fantasy...
lol... (If anyone gets the refference, I would be dissapointed)
For me none of them are that cool, the reason that I like Thor is because his alter ego is Donald Blake, the Idea of a God learning humilty is awesome, then for me f he is not Donald Blake, then he is not a likeable character (from my point or view)...
In the other hand, I really loved Ultimate Thor, he is another perfect incarnation, because he is not all-mighty, but stills powerful, and he fights an overpowered version of Loki, also his relationship with other characters like the other Ultimates
 Thorse...
 Ultimate Thor
members makes more interesting his character.
  I like Beta-Ray- Bill too, because he is cosmic badass, and has horse face (LOL), but also because it's like having another Thor in Cosmic Marvel...

Perfect Thor is Donald Blake
#38 Posted by NexusOfLight (1715 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor Girl, Magni, and Beta Ray Bill for the win. If a Thor Corps were to be put together, they need to be in it.

#39 Posted by I-Force (23 posts) - - Show Bio

Beta Ray Bill is the only Thor I think ever wielded Mjolnir with the requisite doses of nobility and justice and determination. He should be ALPHA  Ray Bill!  =)
#40 Posted by Druid (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Ultimate Universe's Thor best. Too bad the writing for Ultimates went down the drain.

#41 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio

Steve Rogers anyone? 

#42 Posted by Yummylee (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I quite like Beta Ray Bill, even if his name makes him sound like a wife beater wearing hillbilly.

#43 Posted by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Hobgoblin: ...
He is not Steve...
#44 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool:
I'm pretty sure that was Steve when he went as only "The Captain".
#45 Posted by spider-man 2996 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Bill and Thunderstrike
#46 Posted by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Thor is awesome, as is Bill, but the only real Thor is THOR.

#47 Posted by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Hobgoblin: ...I see...
Oh well, I prefer Donald Blake
#48 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

(Bill Nye Theme) Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill!

#49 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Thor-girl after Thor and Ultimate Thor.

#50 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@I-Force said:
" Beta Ray Bill is the only Thor I think ever wielded Mjolnir with the requisite doses of nobility and justice and determination. He should be ALPHA  Ray Bill!  =) "
haha true he is my favourite too...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.