Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Who Is Your Dream Team for Thor?

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Malevolent1

I think Matt Fraction is one of Marvel's great writers.

For ANY X title.

I don't think the guy should be writing Thor. He is boring me to tears on Thor. I want to see someone pick up where J Michael Stracynski left off.

My vote goes to Kevin Grievoux. This guys understands the Thunder God. He understands the reason Stan Lee borrowed from Norse myth and that was to go beyond the constraints that any of his previous mortal creations could muster (Hulk, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man...).

My vote for artist? Rob Liefield. I know, I know. People either love or hate his art (kind of like JRJR). But when Liefield is on, his artwork is perfect for a Norse God of Thunder.

So, who ya got? Who is your dream team for the God of Thunder? Which writer/artist team is most likely (notwithstanding Marvel editorial's bias against the Thunder God) to portray Thor the way he should be?

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    JMS and Marko Djurdjevic.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Billy Batson
    For ANY X title.

LOL.
    BB

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ReVamp

@Billy Batson said:

For ANY X title.

LOL.
    BB

I was just about to get there.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Billy Batson

@ReVamp said:

@Billy Batson said:

For ANY X title.

LOL.
    BB

Also missed this:

My vote for artist? Rob Liefield. I know, I know. People either love or hate his art (kind of like JRJR). But when Liefield is on, his artwork is perfect for a Norse God of Thunder.

LOL.
    BB

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReVamp

@Billy Batson said:

@ReVamp said:

@Billy Batson said:

For ANY X title.

LOL.
    BB

Also missed this:

LOL.
    BB

Okay, NOW this is starting to become surreal.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Billy Batson

@TheGoldenOne:

No love for Walter Simonson?
    BB

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By SoA

@TheGoldenOne said:

JMS and Marko Djurdjevic.
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @ReVamp said:

@Billy Batson said:

@ReVamp said:

@Billy Batson said:

For ANY X title.

LOL.
    BB

Also missed this:

LOL.
    BB

Okay, NOW this is starting to become surreal.

LOL.

@Billy Batson: I loved his Thor run, but I'm not sure how he would handle Thor now. I liked where JMS was going with the character.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReVamp

@TheGoldenOne: Yes, yes, yes. Give JMS Thor and make sure he never writes anything else again. Lets see how you like it when Sif has gotten pregnant by Loki and gives birth to evil twins that look exactly like her and they try to kill Thor.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @ReVamp: GTFO with that bullsh!t, man. We both know that wasn't his fault :P
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ReVamp

@TheGoldenOne said:

Yeah, we do, but just because I rationally understand something with my mind, it doesn't mean my heart still don't hate him.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @ReVamp said:

@TheGoldenOne said:

Yeah, we do, but just because I rationally understand something with my mind, it doesn't mean my heart still don't hate him.

I understand what you mean.
    TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@ReVamp said:

@TheGoldenOne: Yes, yes, yes. Give JMS Thor and make sure he never writes anything else again. Lets see how you like it when Sif has gotten pregnant by Loki and gives birth to evil twins that look exactly like her and they try to kill Thor.

I think that'll be the best thing any writer has done for the character. I loved when it happened in ASM. Brilliant move.@Billy Batson said:

@TheGoldenOne:

BB

Simonson<3

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jeanroygrant

Stan Lee.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Malevolent1

@Billy Batson said:

@TheGoldenOne:

BB

Aside from Stan Lee himself, I don't think anyone will ever top his run on classic Thor.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gravitypress

Simonson. Thor needs to be rewound to a point where his comic was great and not faceplam central.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18  Edited By SC  Moderator

Matt Fraction was a horrible X-Men writer. Matt Fraction is a good Iron Fist writer.  

Kevin Grievoux I would love as a Thor writer. I was extolling his praises at Marvel as soon as I heard him talk about Thor in an interview and after reading his New Warriors and Blue Marvel work (which weren't the best comic books ever, but decent enough that combined with his attitude made me think he could write a better than average Thor) but my bigger pick would be Michael Avon Oeming. Not only does he also have a sincere appreciation for Thor, but mythology in general and he's a damn good writer and a damn good Thor writer. He has much more experience as a writer than KG. Its a shame his run on Thor was cut short (Michael Avon Oeming wrote Thor Disassembled which gave us a Thor that was wise, powerful, with extreme potential for power, heroic, intelligent, stoic and well respected) and best of all the continuity and characterization was spot on, Thor was without hammer for most of it, and it had lots of easter eggs for long term Thor fans. Michael Avon Oeming's Ares mini was brilliant as well. Guy knows his mythology.      

PAD is also a huge fan, and is one of the few famous Hulk writers who despite having written Hulk and not Thor was of the opinion Thor would win in a legitimate clash, bwhaha thats great! He has expressed interest in writing Thor, he's a great writer, his X-Factor is like Marvel's best book and so I'd love him to get the opportunity as well.     

For art I would love to see Steve McNiven, Marko Djurdjević or Michael Choi/Sonia Oback. All draw characters with good anatomy, scale, and a certain toughness that I think Thor needs. Clayton Crain also draws the best Hela ever, so I would love to see him tackle Surtur, Mangog, Odin, Thor, Sif, Ymir, and so on. 

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#19  Edited By TDK_1997

JMS is a great writer and I would like to see his return on Thor.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Billy Batson

@Malevolent1 said:

@Billy Batson said:

@TheGoldenOne:

BB

Aside from Stan Lee himself, I don't think anyone will ever top his run on classic Thor.

You're saying that Stan Lee wrote something above mediocre? o_0
    BB

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ReVamp

@TheGoldenOne said:

@ReVamp said:

@TheGoldenOne said:

I understand what you mean.

I wasn't being serious though.

eardrum73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By eardrum73

If we could only bring Walter Simonson back to write Thor...

He is the best Thor writer ever IMO and here's why:

Simonson was the first one to portray Thor in a mythical norse setting, using Norse myths to embellish his story line such as Ragnarok, World Serpent, Hela, Garm/Fenris, the Runestones etc. It was a departure from the classic techno-magic people the Asgardians were but leaned towards a traditional Nordic setting. At times It felt like you were reading a Norse epic instead of superhero comic. He was able to draw you into an immersive mythical world that none had done before. This here is not an easy thing to do on a superhero genre, but WS did it.

Simonson's Thor wasn't just the one dimensional meathead brawler as he is portrayed today but was capable of thinking through the problems he faced. WS Thor was more liberal with his lighting and weather control powers to deal with threats and foes. This makes for more interesting reading as he actually has to figure out how to defeat his enemies/problems. He sometimes came up short which added to the drama.

WS's characterization of the supporting cast was excellent. Sif, BRB, Loki, Lorelai, Enchantress all had unique personalities and well characterized. Their unique personalities often drove the plot or added to the drama.

WS portrayal of Beta Ray Bill? second to none.

He wasn't just a cardboard character with Thor's powers that flies around the galaxy like he does today. BRB felt like a real person albeit a grotesque looking Alien that is misunderstood by most. The events that led to the "love affair" between Bill and Sif was subtle and well done. I really wanted to see them together but sadly it was not to be.

Come to think of it when Simonson at the helm of Thor, I was rooting more for BRB than Thor himself. It's kinda sad that BRB does not get characterized like he did during WS days. He's just a cardboard character these days.He was such an interesting character for me during WS run. More so than Thor really.

So yes, bring back Walter Simonson.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Simonson or Killen.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By z3ro180

@ReVamp: why do alot of peple hate fraction. Also whats this about twins?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ReVamp

@Z3RO180 said:

@ReVamp: why do alot of peple hate fraction. Also whats this about twins?

Because he sucks and it was a joke are the answers respectively.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By majestic99

@jeanroygrant said:

Stan Lee.

@Malevolent1 said:

Agreed 100%.

eardrum73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By eardrum73

I will credit Stan the Man for being the first one to use a god as a superhero and pulling it off really well. His vision and creativity that made Marvel Thor what he is today. He actually portrayed Thor as a tangible character(In Mythology, Thor was a little more abstract) Now, even in other pulp mediums; Marvel or otherwise - Thor characters in other comics are almost always based on Marvel Thor. (strong tough dude with a powerful hammer)

I agree that Stan Lee would make Thor the leading hero in the Marvel universe if he returned to write Thor. The argument of who is the most powerful hero between Surfer, Hulk and Thor would be over.

FIRST POINT

Being the strongest superhero in the Marvel universe has it's own drawbacks. Chiefly It doesn't always make for better stories. In all seriousness it's usually quite the opposite. The more powerful and invulnerable the hero the harder it is to find threats or plots that could endanger him. It tends to get real boring real quick. How many times can Thor fight a cosmic bad guy before the readers will go "not this again"

Cosmic villains are almost always super strong, can fly, super tough and usually has a beam weapon or some energy projection power. Sure they have different names and look different but as far the basics are concerned they are much of a muchness.

Thor is my favorite Marvel hero bar none. However I would actually prefer to see Thor in an interesting story than have him be the number 1 Marvel hero (if by being #1 his stories will suffer). I would also like to see him use his other powers more liberally and intelligently than straight up brawling like he's being portrayed now. If he uses his powers intelligently I don't really care if the Hulk or surfer is the best hero, Thor did his best and thats good enough for me.

In fact, if Thor actually used his powers intelligently, Hulk or Surfer would have a really tough time competing with Thor for #1 spot.

SECOND POINT

The other thing is Stan Lee. I would be hesitant for Stan to come back and write Thor again.

Have any of you read Ravage 2099? It was written by Stan the Man himself, I bought the first issue with great anticipation (foil cover and all) but I found the writing to be really dated and cliche. After the 2nd or 3rd Issue I just couldn't bring myself to go on. It was just too cliche. The characters, speech bubbles and plots had all be done to death before. In short it was boring to read. I realized on that day that I had grown out of the old school silver age writing style than Stan was so famous for.

Comics have evolved and us readers with it. I craved for something more immersive and exciting than silver age writing.

While Stan would almost certainly do Thor proud from a hero prestige perspective, I can't say that I want Stan Lee back to write Thor. He created Marvel Thor sure.. (and i credit him for that) but he wasn't the best Thor writer.

(I personally think Simonson was the best)

ThePhoenX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By ThePhoenX

@eardrum73 said:

Being the strongest superhero in the Marvel universe has it's own drawbacks. Chiefly It doesn't always make for better stories. In all seriousness it's usually quite the opposite. The more powerful and invulnerable the hero the harder it is to find threats or plots that could endanger him. It tends to get real boring real quick. How many times can Thor fight a cosmic bad guy before the readers will go "not this again"

Cosmic villains are almost always super strong, can fly, super tough and usually has a beam weapon or some energy projection power. Sure they have different names and look different but as far the basics are concerned they are much of a muchness.

Thor is my favorite Marvel hero bar none. However I would actually prefer to see Thor in an interesting story than have him be the number 1 Marvel hero (if by being #1 his stories will suffer). I would also like to see him use his other powers more liberally and intelligently than straight up brawling like he's being portrayed now. If he uses his powers intelligently I don't really care if the Hulk or surfer is the best hero, Thor did his best and thats good enough for me.

Very well said! :D

ThePhoenX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By ThePhoenX

In the disorder : Dan Jurgens, JMS, Me, Walter Simonson, Kevin Grievoux, Me... LoL

I really don't understand why Fraction is still there!

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Malevolent1

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.