which of these debates causes the most heat?

#1 Posted by THORSON (2482 posts) - - Show Bio

Which of the following in your opinion causes the most bashing, rants, insults, aggression towards others and causes people to get angry?

A) Hulk vs THOR

B) Superman vs THOR

#2 Posted by phisigmatau (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk vs Superman

#3 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6358 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman vs. Hulk.

#4 Posted by lifeofvibe (3506 posts) - - Show Bio

@phisigmatau: more then anything and it gets annoying and down right insane

As for the question hulk vs thor everybodys pretty much exepts that supes pwns thor at least from the treads ive read

Look up new 52 supes vs thor youll see what i mean

#5 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

B. Dc fanboys make supes out to be something he isn't

#6 Posted by lifeofvibe (3506 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by HaveAtThee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk vs. Thor has been a raging debate since the 60's. I doubt it'll ever go away. Marvel will make sure of that.

#8 Posted by attatje (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is logical

Superman>Thor>Hulk

#9 Posted by HumanRocket (8601 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman vs Thor

#10 Posted by ben_coby (258 posts) - - Show Bio

nope its like this Thor>Superman>Hulk

#11 Posted by TommyJones1945 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

^The OP's thoughts exactly. You guys are proving his point lol.

I actually think the one that causes more debate is Supes vs Thor. Its a given Supes > Hulk and Thor> Hulk.

CIN.

#12 Posted by Fifthchild (618 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think the one that causes more debate is Supes vs Thor. Its a given Supes > Hulk and Thor> Hulk.

CIN.

Its by no means a given and I would say that Hulk is edging away from Thor in the past 5 years - in movies and animation he is sometimes unambiguously the more powerful of the two and the balance of the past 5 years has been in Hulks favour in the comics. I would argue that Hulk and Superman occupy similar roles in their universes athough DC doesnt seem to play Superman up as clearly being Earth's most powerful hero the way they used to in the old-DCU. That may change however.

Anyway as for the topic at hand its definitely Hulk vs Thor. Before JLA/Avengers Thor vs Superman was a much livelier debate than it is now. Its still big but that fight still hangs over most debates and most fans "accept it" in some sense now.

#13 Edited by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

B. Dc fanboys make supes out to be something he isn't

yupp

#14 Posted by HaveAtThee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

It's clear in the animated universe that Hulk > Thor. Check out the recent, goofy episode of Avengers Assemble where Thor not only gets affected by a "gamma radiation virus," but this is a "Hulked-up" Thor who still gets stomped by Hulk. This means that Thor is NOT NEARLY as powerful as he is in comicdom, heck let alone in Earth's Mightiest Heroes where his top-end feats are more impressive than Hulk's. Quesada and Loeb clearly feel and/or want Thor to be quite inferior in power in comparison with previous years. Then again, continuity is all but dead in modern superhero comics, but more so in Marvel, where strength and power vary greatly based on writer and plot.

Besides, the Hulk/Thor rivalry has greatly subsided since the Fear Itself skirmish, which really didn't mean much, as all Thor did was knock Hulk into orbit, which isn't such an incredible feat given the power level of these guys. Thor and Hulk have rarely interacted since then anyway. If anything, the rivalry has greatly subsided as of late.

#15 Posted by Fifthchild (618 posts) - - Show Bio

It's clear in the animated universe that Hulk > Thor. Check out the recent, goofy episode of Avengers Assemble where Thor not only gets affected by a "gamma radiation virus," but this is a "Hulked-up" Thor who still gets stomped by Hulk. This means that Thor is NOT NEARLY as powerful as he is in comicdom, heck let alone in Earth's Mightiest Heroes where his top-end feats are more impressive than Hulk's. Quesada and Loeb clearly feel and/or want Thor to be quite inferior in power in comparison with previous years. Then again, continuity is all but dead in modern superhero comics, but more so in Marvel, where strength and power vary greatly based on writer and plot.

Besides, the Hulk/Thor rivalry has greatly subsided since the Fear Itself skirmish, which really didn't mean much, as all Thor did was knock Hulk into orbit, which isn't such an incredible feat given the power level of these guys. Thor and Hulk have rarely interacted since then anyway. If anything, the rivalry has greatly subsided as of late.

I dont think its a bad thing to give the rivalry a rest for a while - they've had a ton of skirmishes in the past few years if not all out fights.

As to your other point, I suspect that the rivalry as we see it in different mediums today took a turn with MIllar's Ultimates. In that depiction Hulk was the frightening, almsot unstoppable force that took on the whole team, but had value when the team found themselves in dire straits due to his raw power. Thats series (and the Ultimate Universe as a whole) was pretty influential on how Marvel approached the cinematic universe they were building and, post-Avengers, the new cartoons have in turn taken their cues from the movie. I think there were other forks in the road perhaps but IMO thats a pretty significant one given the influence it seemed to have on portrayals in other media.

#16 Edited by HaveAtThee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, the EMH version of Avengers was much more closely related to the classic Avengers stories pre-Bendis/Millar/Quesada "Watchmen"izing the Marvel Universe. That show portrayed Hulk and Thor as being natural rivals but also good teammates in certain instances, and both characters received their just due in terms of power showings. Avengers Assemble has clearly taken its cue from the live-action film where they constantly show the overused "Hulk sucker-punches Thor" scene nearly every episode.

I also don't mind that they're not fighting every other issue of Avengers. They technically are teammates and it would be refreshing to have a Thor/Hulk mini crossover where perhaps they combine forces to battle someone else instead of beating each other up. I loved Waid's take in Indestructible where Thor really finds amusement with Hulk's constant rage. It's just too bad that it was an out-of-time story. I'd actually be interested in seeing what Waid could do with an in-continuity Hulk/Thor team-up mini-series. I think that would be fun.

#17 Posted by PowerHerc (84956 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a toss-up.

Both are quite heated.

#18 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, the EMH version of Avengers was much more closely related to the classic Avengers stories pre-Bendis/Millar/Quesada "Watchmen"izing the Marvel Universe. That show portrayed Hulk and Thor as being natural rivals but also good teammates in certain instances, and both characters received their just due in terms of power showings. Avengers Assemble has clearly taken its cue from the live-action film where they constantly show the overused "Hulk sucker-punches Thor" scene nearly every episode.

I also don't mind that they're not fighting every other issue of Avengers. They technically are teammates and it would be refreshing to have a Thor/Hulk mini crossover where perhaps they combine forces to battle someone else instead of beating each other up. I loved Waid's take in Indestructible where Thor really finds amusement with Hulk's constant rage. It's just too bad that it was an out-of-time story. I'd actually be interested in seeing what Waid could do with an in-continuity Hulk/Thor team-up mini-series. I think that would be fun.

i wish they had a good crossover, i always see thor and hulk as conflicting brothers, and that was perfectly done in EMH, but in avengers assemble it's just..

#19 Posted by HaveAtThee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

@haveatthee said:

i wish they had a good crossover, i always see thor and hulk as conflicting brothers, and that was perfectly done in EMH, but in avengers assemble it's just..

Yeah, best not to even bother with Assemble. You wont find much in terms of real character growth. EMH blows it out of the water in that department. Thor's like a big 2,000 year old goofy kid with a hammer in Assemble.

#20 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman vs Thor

#21 Posted by TommyJones1945 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

@tommyjones1945 said:

CIN.

Its by no means a given and I would say that Hulk is edging away from Thor in the past 5 years - in movies and animation he is sometimes unambiguously the more powerful of the two and the balance of the past 5 years has been in Hulks favour in the comics. I would argue that Hulk and Superman occupy similar roles in their universes athough DC doesnt seem to play Superman up as clearly being Earth's most powerful hero the way they used to in the old-DCU. That may change however.

Anyway as for the topic at hand its definitely Hulk vs Thor. Before JLA/Avengers Thor vs Superman was a much livelier debate than it is now. Its still big but that fight still hangs over most debates and most fans "accept it" in some sense now.

Aren't we talking about comics. Who said anything about TV shows or movies.

CIN.

#22 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@haveatthee said:

Yeah, best not to even bother with Assemble. You wont find much in terms of real character growth. EMH blows it out of the water in that department. Thor's like a big 2,000 year old goofy kid with a hammer in Assemble.

everyone is a kid there. because it's a "KIDS SHOW LOL" -_-

i miss EMH

#23 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23180 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash appearing.

#24 Posted by Fifthchild (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@fifthchild said:

@tommyjones1945 said:

CIN.

Aren't we talking about comics. Who said anything about TV shows or movies.

CIN.

Well the animated/live action stuff only make more clear a trend which has been, IMO, gathering steam for a while now.

Leaving that aside though your idea that in the comics "Its a given Supes > Hulk and Thor> Hulk" is patently false. For most of their history they have been presented as peers/equals. Lately, if not always, it seems that Hulk is presented as the more powerful of the two and Thor hangs in there through skill and pluck.

For example the book from last week "Avengers: Endless Wartime" seemed to portray Hulk as significantly more powerful than Thor and about equal in power to the rest of the Avengers team combined - e.g. SHIELD sends Banner to stop the Avengers team - including Thor, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Wolverine and Iron Man from interfering with something they dont want the team sticking their noses in. Granted the scene never plays out but neither Banner or the other Avengers seem to express any belief that he/Hulk could not stop them and theres not much doubt that thats the way Elis intended the scene to be read.

Thats a pretty extreme example - something that fits the animated world much more than comics of even 10 years ago - but at the least i think it shows that the idea that that Thor > Hulk is inarguable has no legs. Over the bulk of their history Thor/Hulk is very arguable and has been since the beginning. Its a classic rivalry.

#25 Posted by HaveAtThee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

Serious fans wouldn't say that it's a clear cut difference as to "Who's Stronger?" between Hulk and Thor. It's always been portrayed as a major rivalry and will probably remain significant for years to come, though in the last five years or so it has generally simmered considerably.

#26 Edited by TommyJones1945 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

So.............bcus SHIELD are dumb enough to pit the Hulk against Thor, Steve, IM, Logan and Carol, that automatically makes Hulk the more powerful of the three. I guess you sir are right, cus u know..... that makes sense....right; it really doesn't.

As for all those showings, they are neither canon nor do they matter. On any good, both Thor and Superman can beat the Hulk. And you know why? Cus I actually don't let fanboyism cloud my judgement. G-day sir, I expect my hot chocolate in the morning with extra sugar. CIn.

#27 Posted by Fifthchild (618 posts) - - Show Bio

So.............bcus SHIELD are dumb enough to pit the Hulk against Thor, Steve, IM, Logan and Carol, that automatically makes Hulk the more powerful of the three. I guess you sir are right, cus u know..... that makes sense....right; it really doesn't.

If the story actually portrays SHIELD, Bruce, Steve Rogers and everyone else as being a bunch of idiots for thinking the Hulk could stop them all from doing their mission then we would have a lot more to talk about. And if the story didnt go out of its way in almost every other scene to show Hulk as the powerhouse of the team, in a similar way that the "Avengers Assemble" cartoon has shown, you might have a point. But just because from an "in-universe perspective" its possible that everything we are seeing and hearing is misleading doesnt mean that its not obvious in this case that Ellis saw and portrayed Hulk as a good deal more powerful than any of the others.

So again - its not because SHIELD thought Hulk was more powerful that the story seemed to show Hulk as more powerful (and again its not like there was any implication or objection from anyone there that they might be wrong) - its the sum total of pretty much the way the Huk was portrayed in every scene or line of dialogue in the book that featured him.

As for all those showings, they are neither canon nor do they matter. On any good, both Thor and Superman can beat the Hulk. And you know why? Cus I actually don't let fanboyism cloud my judgement.

I never said that on a good day Thor or Superman couldn't beat the Hulk. Quite the opposite in fact. I objected to your baseless claim that it was an open and shut case that Hulk couldn't beat either of them.

And I have no idea what you base your judgement on because you've yet to give any indication beyond throwing out a statement that flies in the face of 50 years of continuity and then getting upset about being called out on it.

G-day sir, I expect my hot chocolate in the morning with extra sugar. CIn.

Yeah good luck with that.

#28 Edited by TommyJones1945 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

The last part was a joke.

As for the Hulk thing, so ******* what, that's one writer among many who write the Hulk/Avengers. Him portraying the Hulk can beat that team of heavy-hitters is dumb fan-pandering at best, and is impossible to say the least. When you have a scan showing the Hulk beating all five of them then pls share, till then you can intepret the story in a shape or form you like it, it still wont make it possible. Next you'll ne telling me Hulk can beat SS because the story implied its possible.

The Thor/Hulk rivalry is in place so as not to make Hulk's claim of being the strongest baseless. When he fights opponents such as Thor/Sentry/Gladiator they are mostly always written as idiots so as not to make him look lame in comparison. Logically speaking, opponents as versatile like themselves shouldn't have too much trouble.

CIN.

#29 Posted by Fifthchild (618 posts) - - Show Bio

The last part was a joke.

As for the Hulk thing, so ******* what, that's one writer among many who write the Hulk/Avengers.

Sure - but things seem to be tending more in that direction in recent years. Its a pretty extreme example but it certainly puts the lie to your earlier claims.

Him portraying the Hulk can beat that team of heavy-hitters is dumb fan-pandering at best, and is impossible to say the least.

Warren f^&*ing Ellis is a writer who panders to Hulk fans? How insightful.

And of course its "impossible" for the Hulk to beat such a team. Just like it would be impossible for him to take on a team composed of the Avengers + The Agents of Atlas as he did a few years ago and hold his own (including manhandling Thor). Thanks for pointing out whats impossible - the comics can make it quite confusing when they contradict you so thoroughly.

When you have a scan showing the Hulk beating all five of them then pls share, till then you can intepret the story in a shape or form you like it, it still wont make it possible.

Next you'll ne telling me Hulk can beat SS because the story implied its possible.

Um Hulk has beaten the SS. Theres a fair few asterisks over the result on both sides of the equation but its certainly something within his capabilities, if Surfer isnt depicted as being able to instantly Gamma drain him at least. FWIW He was also shown to be more powerful than the Surfer in Busiek/Larsen's Defnders run when he was the only one who could break out of the Kree Star Wheel.

The Thor/Hulk rivalry is in place so as not to make Hulk's claim of being the strongest baseless. When he fights opponents such as Thor/Sentry/Gladiator they are mostly always written as idiots so as not to make him look lame in comparison.

LOL - thanks for clearing that up! We can all rest easy now that you've come down from the mountain with this hard-won insider knowledge. Did Thor and Kallark explain this to you themselves?

"Oh that only happened to make Hulk look good. He's really not in the same league as us despite what the comic books may show."

Of course by the same token I could write: "The only reason the Thor/Hulk rivalry ever happened was to make Thor look good considering Hulk was actually much stronger and more powerful. When he fights them his dynamic strength and healing are drastically downplayed in order to make them not look like second stringers by comparison." That is if I felt like just making up anything I liked.

Logically speaking, opponents as versatile like themselves shouldn't have too much trouble.

And yet they do have more than a little trouble. That could be because these characters are "forgetting their powers" or it might just be that Hulk is a little tougher than you are giving him credit for. Or perhaps their much vaunted powers of vertsaility isnt as advantageous as people imagine on the forums here. On the other hand maybe its best to ignore all the comics and go with what a bunch of 14 year olds have decided should happen after looking at a few respect Threads? Hmmm...

Look you are perfectly entitled to your "That shouldnt happen!!!!!" opinion but theres really no reason for me to pay much attention let alone place your own hypothetical opinion about "the way things should be" over the source material itself. You'll find more than enough people here who are willing to do that but honestly I cant see the point in such fan-fiction. And i certainly dont feel bad about pointing out that its anything but the last word on questions such as this.

#30 Posted by TommyJones1945 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure - but things seem to be tending more in that direction in recent years. Its a pretty extreme example but it certainly puts the lie to your earlier claims.

Doesn't still mean he can beat them, and logically thinking he can is just dumb.

Warren f^&*ing Ellis is a writer who panders to Hulk fans? How insightful.

And of course its "impossible" for the Hulk to beat such a team. Just like it would be impossible for him to take on a team composed of the Avengers + The Agents of Atlas as he did a few years ago and hold his own (including manhandling Thor). Thanks for pointing out whats impossible - the comics can make it quite confusing when they contradict you so thoroughly.

Any instance of Hulk beating the entire Avengers including Thor is joke and fan-pandering, whether you're smart enough to realize or not.

Um Hulk has beaten the SS. Theres a fair few asterisks over the result on both sides of the equation but its certainly something within his capabilities, if Surfer isnt depicted as being able to instantly Gamma drain him at least. FWIW He was also shown to be more powerful than the Surfer in Busiek/Larsen's Defnders run when he was the only one who could break out of the Kree Star Wheel.

You can retain your credibility by denying you ever wrote this.

LOL - thanks for clearing that up! We can all rest easy now that you've come down from the mountain with this hard-won insider knowledge. Did Thor and Kallark explain this to you themselves?

"Oh that only happened to make Hulk look good. He's really not in the same league as us despite what the comic books may show."

Of course by the same token I could write: "The only reason the Thor/Hulk rivalry ever happened was to make Thor look good considering Hulk was actually much stronger and more powerful. When he fights them his dynamic strength and healing are drastically downplayed in order to make them not look like second stringers by comparison." That is if I felt like just making up anything I liked.

Its called logic. They are more versatile, match his strength and healing factor wjile having more powers at their disposal, but at the end of the day, they are always jobbed doen to pls fanboys like you.

And yet they do have more than a little trouble. That could be because these characters are "forgetting their powers" or it might just be that Hulk is a little tougher than you are giving him credit for. Or perhaps their much vaunted powers of vertsaility isnt as advantageous as people imagine on the forums here. On the other hand maybe its best to ignore all the comics and go with what a bunch of 14 year olds have decided should happen after looking at a few respect Threads? Hmmm...

Look you are perfectly entitled to your "That shouldnt happen!!!!!" opinion but theres really no reason for me to pay much attention let alone place your own hypothetical opinion about "the way things should be" over the source material itself. You'll find more than enough people here who are willing to do that but honestly I cant see the point in such fan-fiction. And i certainly dont feel bad about pointing out that its anything but the last word on questions such as this.

If you think just bcus it happens in comics, it should ergo really happen then you're deluding yourself. look the Hulk/Thor rivalry is awesome, and cool and keeps us guessing to what happens whenever the two fight. But realistically, if this two were to face, Thor would give him the smackdown. Tis true whether you accept it or not hombre. CIN.

#31 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio

#32 Posted by TheGodofThunder (599 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_money_christmas: And Thor was still the least battle damaged of all the Avengers. He is the most powerful Avenger. No denying.

#33 Posted by HaveAtThee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh, why the flamewar? It should be GLARINGLY obvious that the Hulk/Thor rivalry will never go away, and that's mostly by design.

#34 Posted by Fifthchild (618 posts) - - Show Bio

Any instance of Hulk beating the entire Avengers including Thor is joke and fan-pandering, whether you're smart enough to realize or not.

Or you know, it would be canon.

You can retain your credibility by denying you ever wrote this.

I think I've pretty clearly demonstrated I have much more idea what i'm actually talking about here so I find your statement ironic to say the least.

Its called logic. They are more versatile, match his strength and healing factor wjile having more powers at their disposal, but at the end of the day, they are always jobbed doen to pls fanboys like you.

So "these guys should be much better than Hulk only they aren't". Gotcha.

And seriously - LOL at Thor/Gladiator etc matching Hulks healing factor let alone his strength. I have no problem acknowledging the advantages these characters do actually possess over the Hulk (and they do f course have their advantages) but thats ludicrous. It doesnt hurt your case to concede a few points every now and again. Quite the opposite in fact.

If you think just bcus it happens in comics, it should ergo really happen then you're deluding yourself. look the Hulk/Thor rivalry is awesome, and cool and keeps us guessing to what happens whenever the two fight. But realistically, if this two were to face, Thor would give him the smackdown. Tis true whether you accept it or not hombre. CIN.

Yes I'm obviously deluding myself. I should check in with your fertile imagination more often to keep myself grounded I suppose.

#35 Posted by Fifthchild (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@tommyjones1945

Eh look I just want to apologise if I came across as a bit of a jerk in the past several posts. Obviously we disagree but none of this is important stuff and I think I am spread a little thin atm in terms of participating in quite a few threads like this and getting drawn into a snarky posting style. So anyway again apologies if I was a bit of a dick.

Cheers.

#36 Posted by TommyJones1945 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

@tommyjones1945

Eh look I just want to apologise if I came across as a bit of a jerk in the past several posts. Obviously we disagree but none of this is important stuff and I think I am spread a little thin atm in terms of participating in quite a few threads like this and getting drawn into a snarky posting style. So anyway again apologies if I was a bit of a dick.

Cheers.

No probs, it nots like any of these things we do really matter.

CIN.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.