Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Where Should Thor Be On The Food Chain At Marvel?

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Malevolent1

I see so many threads asking, "Why does Marvel hate Thor?". "Has Thor been de-powered?". "Why has Marvel made Thor such a jobber?".

You get the idea. I've seen numerous such threads here as well as elsewhere. It's obvious a lot of Thor fans believe he is not where he should be in power.

What do you think? Has he been de-powered? And if so, where would you like to see Thor in terms of power in the Marvel universe?

No Caption Provided
    Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Blood1991

I think if Thor was on a team with characters that were in on his level "power wise" he would fair better. Being on a team with Captain America, Hawkeye and other characters who can't compete with him in power I think hurts his potential. Maybe put him on an Intergalactic Avengers team with some other heavy hitters like Captain Marvel, Wonder Man, Photon, and Vision.

That being said I'm not a Thor fan so maybe I'm not hitting at what his fanbase wants.

Asagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Asagod

Unhappily, Thor has been depowered by Marvel. Thor should be on the top, he should be the most powerful hero ever, slightly below skyfather level. Marvel should use him in asgardian battles and just bring him to earth during really bad threats. That's what I want for him, but I know many people may think otherwise.

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By selinaky

@Blood1991 said:

I think if Thor was on a team with characters that were in on his level "power wise" he would fair better. Being on a team with Captain America, Hawkeye and other characters who can't compete with him in power I think hurts his potential. Maybe put him on an Intergalactic Avengers team with some other heavy hitters like Captain Marvel, Wonder Man, Photon, and Vision.

That being said I'm not a Thor fan so maybe I'm not hitting at what his fanbase wants.

I actually agree. I love him as a main Avenger, but really there's not much that Cap/Hawkeye etc should be able to deal with that Thor couldn't easily handle.

@Asagod said:

Unhappily, Thor has been depowered by Marvel. Thor should be on the top, he should be the most powerful hero ever, slightly below skyfather level. Marvel should use him in asgardian battles and just bring him to earth during really bad threats. That's what I want for him, but I know many people may think otherwise.

I agree, I prefer the Asgardian setting, although I would miss him on the team.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

I've stated it before and I now state it again:

Though I feel the Hulk and Hercules are both slightly stronger than him, Thor is and should always be the all-around most powerful Marvel superhero.

More powerful than Phoenix (though this one is close), the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, the Sentry and any other Marvel superhero. That's how I feel about it.

Sinfulplayerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sinfulplayerx

Online NowWhen I hear the name Thor. I can almost hear someone saying.... "I present to you............ Marvels Ultimate Warrior............ The Heroic Nordic.............. The Big Gun with the Big Hammer......... The Mighty Thor." -------------------> ( However I think the 2 words "Mighty" and "Warrior" fit him best). You had me at "Have at thee".

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Clark_EL

He should be the most powerful and compete with DC's big guns.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By RoboShark

I myself have only recently warmed up to the character. Infact Aaron's current Thor book is the first Thor book I've read.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

If it were up to me he'd be top dog

Avatar image for regal_rumble_man
    Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Regal_Rumble_Man

Classic power levels

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigcimmerian

He should be the most powerful superhero on Earth and to be present when heroes are facing the most dangerous threats.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By xxxddd

@Regal_Rumble_Man said:

Classic power levels

What was Thor capable of at Classic power levels?(scans)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Pyrogram

@xxxddd said:

@Regal_Rumble_Man said:

Classic power levels

What was Thor capable of at Classic power levels?(scans)

Go to respect thor thread, that is very good for classic thor.

Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Regal_Rumble_Man

@BigCimmerian said:

He should be the most powerful superhero on Earth and to be present when heroes are facing the most dangerous threats.

yeah so we can have epic battles that will screw up with planetary systems and such, because fighting in a city gets boring fast. Also strange so that dumb **** "one more day" plots won't happen again.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xxxddd

@Regal_Rumble_Man said:

yeah so we can have epic battles that will screw up with planetary systems and such, because fighting in a city gets boring fast. Also strange so that dumb **** "one more day" plots won't happen again.

Superman can destroy moons yet 100% of his fights that occur on Earth, Earth is never destroyed.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

Thor should be the strongest one.

Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Regal_Rumble_Man

@xxxddd: super earth?

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xxxddd

@InnerVenom123 said:

And most powerful.

@Regal_Rumble_Man said:

@xxxddd: super earth?

What?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By Pyrogram

@InnerVenom123 said:

Relative to earth superheroes.

Epicbeast3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Epicbeast3000

Okay this is marvel food chain.

1.One above all.

2. pre-retcon beyonder, HOTU thanos.

3. Abstracts and super powerful mysticals like shuma gorath, vishanti and Chthon.. oh and full powered galactus, and Chaos hercules, Amatsu mikaboshi

4. medium galactus, inbetweener

5. Elder gods like Gaea and Set

6. Dormammu( in his own realm), Rune King THOR

6. skyfathers like odin and zeus and helllords like dormammu(not in his realm) and mephisto.

7. Thanos and Onslaught.

8. Thor, silver surfer. and gladiator.

That is where thor stands. Well maybe silver surfer should be a bit higher but I didn't feel like putting him there

Avatar image for mrbossawesomedude
    MrBossAwesomeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor should be the superman of marvel, but stronger and cooler! He has a magical hammer for Christs sake. He should be destroying worlds, kicking hulks butt, and basically owning all of marvel earths super heroes.

Razero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Razero

I think the Hulk should always be the strongest, but Thor should always be the most powerful.

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@Epicbeast3000 said:

1.One above all.

3. Abstracts and super powerful mysticals like shuma gorath, vishanti and Chthon.. oh and full powered galactus, and Chaos hercules, Amatsu mikaboshi

6. skyfathers like odin and zeus and helllords like dormammu(not in his realm) and mephisto.

7. Thanos and Onslaught.

That is where thor stands. Well maybe silver surfer should be a bit higher but I didn't feel like putting him there

This

SexualLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SexualLobster

@Epicbeast3000 said:

1.One above all.

7. Thanos and Onslaught.

Pretty Fair.

But yea, he should easily be the most POWERFUL like PowerHerc said. I really think he should stop being used as a plot device to make other characters look strong for beating Thor. Recently it's like he loses more than he wins, by a massive margin. Also, Thor really never should lose to Hulk..

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HaveAtThee

Where he always should have been. Marvel's biggest gun. Hulk can still be Earth's strongest MAN, but Thor should be more powerful since he is the son of a Skyfather and Elder Goddess. As that list showed, he should be slightly below Odin/Zeus/Thanos status. One of Marvel's biggest problems is that their three most famous characters (Iron Man, Wolverine, Spider-Man) are all somewhat higher than street-level heroes. Their next most popular individual characters are Hulk and Thor, their two biggest guns in terms of power. Whereas for DC, other than Batman, the most famous are Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern. All major powerhouses. In fact, if you just look at the JL it's usually been a collection of DC's most powerful heroes, with Batman playing the role of strategist. Other than the occasional ridiculous plot-device allowing for Batman to shine, it's easier to write Superman or Wonder Woman in a team setting because of the level of their peers and their villains. DC's universe, at least historically, is the more superhuman/fantastical universe where as Marvel has always stressed humanism and realism in their stories. It's why you have plot-devices such as Asgard being placed above Oklahoma. It was a way to "bring humanism" to a god like Thor.

This is a problem with both Hulk and Thor being on The Avengers. They are both far beyond the rest of the cast that either the villain has to be more powerful than both of them (someone like Thanos) to be a real threat, or they both have to be shown far less powerful than they really are to make it seem more balanced. Marvel has always been far too obsessed with its lesser powerful heroes (Wolverine, Spidey, Cap, Iron Man), especially since Bendis came along on Avengers. Busiek told more of a superhero story and at least had Wonder Man, Ms. Marvel, Scarlet Witch and Vision alongside Thor to level the playing field. "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" sounds a bit silly when you regularly have guys like Spider-Man, Cap, Wolverine, Hawkeye, and Black Widow as regulars.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Maybe below surfer too.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel Now Thor seems more better written.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.