What's the difference between Classic and Modern Thor?

#1 Posted by GLExpert (100 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a Thor expert, but I've googled this and read Thor's page(on this site), and still don't know the difference.

#2 Posted by GLExpert (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Judging by the 15 views and nobody commenting then I guess noone can answer my question, then.

#3 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

Lots of insane feats.

#4 Posted by GLExpert (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

Lots of insane feats.

So there is a difference?

#5 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLExpert said:

@TheSwordsman said:

Lots of insane feats.

So there is a difference?

Yes. Classic Thor has a lot more incredible feats and Mjolnirs powers were more diverse and numerous with classic Thor.

@GLExpert said:

@TheSwordsman said:

Lots of insane feats.

And who are you referring too?

Classic Thor.

#6 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLExpert said:

So, since over 30 people viewed this, I'm sure at least one can answer my question:

So the difference between Classic and Modern Thor is that Classic Thor has more powers?

technically no. they are supposed to have virtually exactly the same powers.

originally mjolnir could time travel. but that ability was later removed. however since then. mjolnir has been reforged and had more Odinforced put back in too fix it again. and The OF allows time travel. so it's possible that Mjolnir's ability's to time travel could have been recharged as well.

and Originally Thor didn't know he was the son of Gea and didn`t know he had the ability to control the earth but now he knows how to use the power.

The real biggest difference is the way the writers use Thor`s(or God`s in general`s powers) powers now that is different.

When Hela died in classic Thor it was like death dying nothing else on earth could even be killed. that`s how much infuence she had. and Odin killed her and then Later brought her back to life and therefore restored the cycle of life and death on a whim.

#7 Posted by lanebad6 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

well it depends on the writer, classic thor seemed to just be better in everything, not by much but everything. Current thor gets bullied a lot in my opinion.

#8 Edited by GLExpert (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thor's hammmer: @lanebad6:

1. First I'm told Classic Thor has more powers

2. Now I'm told Classic and Current Thor possess the same powers

3. How is they possess the same powers if(from what I believe) they are different versions?

#9 Posted by _slim_ (13028 posts) - - Show Bio

Writers.

#10 Posted by MrBossAwesomeDude (238 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLExpert: Classic Thor had more powers, better feats, and seemed overall stronger, But current Thor is more powerful. :P

#11 Posted by GLExpert (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrBossAwesomeDude said:

@GLExpert: Classic Thor had more powers, better feats, and seemed overall stronger, But current Thor is more powerful. :P

What feats are you referring too that make Classic Thor more powerful?

@_slim_ said:

Writers.

So....different versions?

#12 Posted by _slim_ (13028 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLExpert: .... different versions of what? Anyways, what I meant is that writers forget/neglect Thor's abilities.

#13 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLExpert said:

@Thor's hammmer: @lanebad6:

1. First I'm told Classic Thor has more powers

2. Now I'm told Classic and Current Thor possess the same powers

3. How is they possess the same powers if(from what I believe) they are different versions?

according to the story there powers aren't supposed to be any different. after he lost the Odinforce he's supposed to be essentially right back where he started.

#14 Posted by _slim_ (13028 posts) - - Show Bio
@GLExpert

When exactly did Classic Thor end and Modern Thor begin?


I have no clue.
#15 Posted by GLExpert (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@_slim_: Do you know someone who does?

#16 Posted by _slim_ (13028 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLExpert: No, I don't. Though there are plenty of users who called themselves "Thor experts". So maybe one of them will see this thread and can help you out with that.

#17 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@_slim_ said:

@GLExpert:

When exactly did Classic Thor end and Modern Thor begin?

I have no clue.

When Joe Quesada took over as editor in chief. Technically, there is supposed to be no difference between classic Thor and the Thor of today. What is different?

1) Marvel's perception of the character from his early days (in Stan's day, Thor was promoted as Marvel's most powerful superhero. Today? Most would say, based on feats, the Silver Surfer reigns supreme at Marvel).

2) Feats (better for classic Thor)

#18 Posted by Pyrogram (32277 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic thor was treated as one of the most powerful people in the marvel universe. Thor now is meant to be the same but is not.

#19 Posted by GLExpert (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@_slim_ said:

@GLExpert: No, I don't. Though there are plenty of users who called themselves "Thor experts". So maybe one of them will see this thread and can help you out with that.

Well, judging by the most frequent posters, could majestic99, thegoldenone, or powerherc help me?

#20 Posted by _slim_ (13028 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLExpert said:

@_slim_ said:

@GLExpert: No, I don't. Though there are plenty of users who called themselves "Thor experts". So maybe one of them will see this thread and can help you out with that.

Well, judging by the most frequent posters, could majestic99, thegoldenone, or powerherc help me?

I guess.

#21 Posted by GLExpert (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@_slim_: Okay. Thanks for the help.

#22 Posted by _slim_ (13028 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLExpert: No prob.

#23 Posted by GLExpert (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@_slim_: Why do so many people view a page and not comment?

#24 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic Thor was way more powerful than his modern showings. The new rage in Marvel is humanizing its characters to a greater degree. Thor has been obviously De-powered to bring him more inline with Bendis' and Quasadas' idea for the MU. They want him to be weaker in order to change the upper echelon of characters. Rulk, Blue Marvel, and Sentry are good examples of the creation of new characters that B and Q want to promote at the top.

#25 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@_slim_ said:

Writers.
#26 Posted by _slim_ (13028 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLExpert said:

@_slim_: Why do so many people view a page and not comment?

Lol. I don't know, probably just to see what's going on in the thread.

#27 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLExpert said:

@_slim_: Why do so many people view a page and not comment?

Sometimes it's better to simply be an observer within the audience....

#28 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLExpert said:

I'm not a Thor expert, but I've googled this and read Thor's page(on this site), and still don't know the difference.

@GLExpert said:

Judging by the 15 views and nobody commenting then I guess noone can answer my question, then.

LOL Dang dude.....sometimes you gotta wait a sec...

#29 Posted by Z3RO180 (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLExpert: Countinuity wise htey are the same character cause since marvel started back in the 60s due to marvel not have any big reboots like dc. But in tearms of classic and modern its all down to the person writieing Thor in one issue he could be kicking all kinds of ass and in anothr he could be getting his ass all kinds of kicked.

#30 Posted by GLExpert (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180: Thanks for the help.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.