What Needs to Happen with Thor...in my opinion

#1 Posted by Godslayer1090 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

As it has been pointed out before, Thor, one of Marvel's, suppossedly, biggest hitters, has been on a steady decline as far as his ability to kick some ass. I have some ideas on what needs to happen.

1. Thor needs a beard. I've always thought it was really lame that, despite him being the God of the Goddamn Vikings, he never had a beard. And when he did, he didn't give a turd about anything and kicked some ass.

2. No more holding back.

3. He needs to listen to some Amon Amarth and play some God of War.

4. Show the Hulk, once and for all, who's boss.

5. Remember he's a God.

6. Benchpress a mountian.

7. Scowl. All the Time.

8. Enough of the "Thous" and the "Verily". Speak like a MAN.

9. Just get pissed.

10. Prove your Earth most powerful hero. Beat up any villian you can find.

#2 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Godslayer1090: I definately disagree with number one, thats why they have the Ultimate Universe 1610. I don't know what 3 pertains too, but I do have an idea it's some kind of Rocky theme /motivational /WWE music, if so I disagree with thatas well. What really needs to happen is that the writers at Marvel need to sit down each gain full knowledge of his power level and write him in comics at these power levels consistantly. There's no way an individual such as Rogue or any other lower level heroes or villians should be able to harm him in any way which has happened in comics. There's no explaination for the crap he went through in AVX aside of poor writing. That number 8.) thing is part of who Thor is and always has been it, goes hand and hand with your number 5. I totally agree with the rest, I wanna see extreme rage and thirst for battle from the guy, as well as the viking , drink and be merry side.They need to quit trying to making Thor in the comics, more like movie Thor as well as other heroes ,that really sucks.

#3 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:

@Godslayer1090: I definately disagree with number one, thats why they have the Ultimate Universe 1610. I don't know what 3 pertains too, but I do have an idea it's some kind of Rocky theme /motivational /WWE music, if so I disagree with thatas well. What really needs to happen is that the writers at Marvel need to sit down each gain full knowledge of his power level and write him in comics at these power levels consistantly. There's no way an individual such as Rogue or any other lower level heroes or villians should be able to harm him in any way which has happened in comics. There's no explaination for the crap he went through in AVX aside of poor writing. That number 8.) thing is part of who Thor is and always has been it, goes hand and hand with your number 5. I totally agree with the rest, I wanna see extreme rage and thirst for battle from the guy, as well as the viking , drink and be merry side.They need to quit trying to making Thor in the comics, more like movie Thor as well as other heroes ,that really sucks.

I agree,

I would love Thor to be more brutal and hold back less. I like when he can be serious/angry/badass, (but not arrogant and broody) and also have a positive side and know how to have fun, like a warrior.

#4 Posted by Asagod (291 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:

This is Amon Amarth:

#5 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

bring back his strength.....

not cling to and only use the hammer....

when was the last time thor did ANYTHING without his hammer....

needs to defeat hulk and no collapse..... fight hulk hand to hand like he used to and make it epic... then after seeing they are too matched.. DRAW the hammer..

marvel shitheads will never do this..... hulk is the cash cow

Im just waiting on the issue where they have hulk get mad enough to knock out galactus by punching him...

I hate marvel

#6 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@Godslayer1090 said:

As it has been pointed out before, Thor, one of Marvel's, suppossedly, biggest hitters, has been on a steady decline as far as his ability to kick some ass. I have some ideas on what needs to happen.

1. Thor needs a beard. I've always thought it was really lame that, despite him being the God of the Goddamn Vikings, he never had a beard. And when he did, he didn't give a turd about anything and kicked some ass.

2. No more holding back.

3. He needs to listen to some Amon Amarth and play some God of War.

4. Show the Hulk, once and for all, who's boss.

5. Remember he's a God.

6. Benchpress a mountian.

7. Scowl. All the Time.

8. Enough of the "Thous" and the "Verily". Speak like a MAN.

9. Just get pissed.

10. Prove your Earth most powerful hero. Beat up any villian you can find.

I'm old school. I believe Thor should clearly be painted as Marvel's all time most powerful superhero. That was Stan's vision for the character. Unfortunately, save for Jim Shooter, that idea not last very long. All the while, DC was peering over at the Mighty Thor and goin', "We need to amp it up boys". And they did. Superman became so powerful, that John Byrne, to make any fight the Man of Steel had be credible, dropped his power level considerably down. While over at Marvel, Thor was slowly in decline. By the time Quesada enchilada came on board, it was over for the Thunder God. What Marvel needs is a committment by editorial to not be afraid to make Thor STUPIDLY powerful. DC has so many character that are crazy powerful, it's ridiculous. For a stretch their, when Grant Morrison was writing JLA, the villains were just astronomically powerful. You had teams ups featuring the combined might of the JSA and the JLA featuring Superman, Alan Scott, The Flash, Wonder Woman, The Spectre...it was getting kind of ridiculous.

Or was it.

I mean why do people who read those types of characters read them in the first place? Isn't it to see over the top crazy powerful feats and battles that shake galaxys? Marvel is in a great position though, because they only have a handful of characters (called heroes/heralds) that are close to being that powerful. Part of the problem is the popularity thing. Hulk became immensely powerful over at Marvel. And you can't very well piss off your bread and butter, can you? Hence Thor's losses to more popular character, and not necessarily more powerful. JMS had the right idea. He featured a Thor who was no longer holding back and who had full possession of the Odin force. He also, evidently inherited powers from his mother. I always felt like they could have explored his mystical side a little more, given the source of his powers are mystically based. Who knows, maybe the new Thor will do just that.

Then again, maybe not.

#7 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor needs a haircut ASAP.

#8 Posted by Arcadian (376 posts) - - Show Bio

Power-wise, Marvel wants their characters more balanced out, as for the look - come one, he's the God of Thunder, not a Volstagg :P

#9 Posted by Kovak (748 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Thor needs to layeth some smacketh down. On everyone from Silver Surfer to Black Panther, and everyone in between.
  • Thor DOES need a beard. The beard maketh the man.
  • I concur with the Amon Amarth point. And perhaps playing some GoW will let him see that Kratos makes him look like a b!tch.
  • Thor can never hold back. Not now, not ever. Gods do not hold back, they smite.
  • The Hulk does need a severe a$$ kicking.
  • Benchpress a mountain? Pfft. He needs to benchpress a mountain range.
  • Can never have too much scowling.
  • I agree. I mean, I know he's a Viking, but one would assume he could pick up modern day language by now.
  • Get pissed. All. The. Time.
  • Beat up ALL THE VILLAINS!
#10 Posted by Godslayer1090 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to go on record and say this post was, more or less, made to be funny.

#11 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

they need to explore the other realms a bit more

#12 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shotgun said:

Thor needs a haircut ASAP.

Never!

#13 Edited by BlackWind (5663 posts) - - Show Bio

Turn Thor into some jackass who flaunts his power and arrogantly tries to outdo people? No.

Part of the reason Thor holds back is because he doesn't want to make his human friends feel weaker, even though they are. IJust because he is a god doesn't mean he should be some pissed off, brooding tool.

#14 Posted by _The_Ant_ (460 posts) - - Show Bio

Bring Thor back to his "Breaks first grade adamantium with his hands and can lift the earth or smash a planet" levels and give him back all of his classic powers.  Also, give Thor some legitimate superhuman combat speed.   And yeah, Thor should show Hulk and Sentry who's the real king of the mountain in marvel.  Someone who can lift the midgard serpent is vastly stronger than any Hulk short of the world breaker, and Thor should be able to OHKO even a significantly angry hulk without trying very hard.   I'm also thinking they should show Thor smashing up something made out of first grade Adamantium like yesterday's trash and unleashing a speedblitz on a tough brick like the Juggernaut.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.