Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

What makes Thor a favorite to you?

Avatar image for fernando072295reborn
    Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I find that I like scenes like that just as much as any action scene out there. So what is it that pulls you to like Thor?

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His, nobility, and his powerset/abilities.

The hammer is pretty awesome too.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..being different to other comic book heroes, i.e. Asgardian. Unlikes Superman, Wonder Woman and Captain America, he isn't primarily America's hero, but a hero of earth...I Like the mythology, the origin, his all round strength, speed, nobleness...mjolnir..

where do you stop?!

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By isaac_clarke

Less about playing favorites and more about just having more interesting stories being told around him compared to other books.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

He's a noble, honourable and courageous warrior dedicated to protecting those who are weak, vulnerable and are preyed upon by the forces of evil. Along with his willingness to sacrifice everything, including himself to save those who need it.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lvenger said:

He's a noble, honourable and courageous warrior dedicated to protecting those who are weak, vulnerable and are preyed upon by the forces of evil. Along with his willingness to sacrifice everything, including himself to save those who need it. Plus his addiction to Mead :p

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Now I've thought of the next anatagonists for Thor to face in God of Thunder.

Watch as the Mighty Thor, Lord of the Living Lightning faces a foe that threatens to take away everything he's ever cared about. Their name? ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS! :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA :') that's hilarious ohhhh send that to Marvel do something this is a brilliant idea. I wouldn't be suprised if Aaron does this though he's always doing some wacky kooky things.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Yep shaping up to be one of the best runs on Thor alongside Walter Simonson's and J. Michael Stracynzki

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TGOT is just really, really, really good. I mean, Thor's been getting so many of Marvel's best writers lately it's almost crazy.

I was worried that we plateau'd with the end of Kid Loki, but nope, more awesome.

Shame Superman doesn't seem to be getting the same quality lately.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity: Agreed about the quality of Thor's writing in GOT. Issues 11 and 12 were absolutely brilliant. But Morrison's Action Comics run is an underrated success IMO and Unchained is shaping up to be a good story. Not to mention Pak's coming onto Action Comics and he's used to writing powerful characters along with exploring interesting stories and characters. So I'd say things are looking pretty good for Superman IMO.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Still, Superman seems to always be in Batman's shadow writing wise. I know it stands for Detective Comics and all, but come on, Supes was the first, so he should have first pick of writers.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity: I agree being a Superman fan first and a Batman fan second. But unfortunately, due to the reimagining of Batman in the mid 1980s thanks to Frank Millar along with the darker and more mature direction his comics took, Batman outgrew Superman in popularity. Nolan's Batman trilogy was just the nail in the coffin that made Batman the pinnacle of comic book popularity and preference over Superman. A shame really given what a deep and complex character Superman is.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I find that Batman has actually suffered as a character when people started making a deal about him being psychologically deep, because then writers often tripped over themselves trying to say "PSYCHOANALYZE ME!" Some still had amazing runs, but others well...

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lvenger

@guardian_of_gravity: A psychoanalysis of Batman's views on punk is somewhat ridiculous. I'm seeing where you're coming from here.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: It's because Batman listened to rock and roll the night his parents died and his Father disapproved.

I am not kidding you.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lvenger

@guardian_of_gravity: That's actually the reason? Wow what weak story telling. Seriously, that's low quality writing right there.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where in Batman fights a rocker so whiny about making money off his work that you'll be pining for the days of Superboy Prime.  Oh and Batman finds out that Rock and Roll causes crime.  And became Batman because he couldn't stop Sid Vicious.
    Where in Batman fights a rocker so whiny about making money off his work that you'll be pining for the days of Superboy Prime. Oh and Batman finds out that Rock and Roll causes crime. And became Batman because he couldn't stop Sid Vicious.

@lvenger:

This is a real and actual thing that happened.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity: Damn that sounds like a **** story. Batman's supposed to be a good character to write stories about yet stuff like this comes up? Man bad writers really can ruin characters.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: It's something that you have to see to believe.

If you don't want to shell out the money, see Linkara's video reviews on it.

It's like one of those movies that's so terrible that when you have some friends around you'll all be peeing yourselves laughing at it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity: This conversation has reminded me of Superman: At Earth's End since we're talking bad stories. Have you seen Linkera's review on that? Truly, it is one of the worst Superman, if not comic book stories of all time.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: exactly what you said and also the helmet is pretty freaking awesome paired with that bitching cape :P

Avatar image for fernando072295reborn
    Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Lmao.

"The Odinson must first sunder his most terrifying opponent yet...DENIAL!" Thor: "I CAN STOP WHENSOEVER I WANT!!!"

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

His love for Midgard and defending it at any and all cost. FOR MIDGARD!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

Something just stood out about him when I was a kid, I'm not sure but I think it had something to do with the Hammer. Being obsessed with Star Wars and Lightsabers and swords and to then just have a big dude who it things with a Hammer just seemed weird I guess, then later reading about how he was a God amongst men and especially how that fitted within the Marvel universe I found fascinating.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I couldn't get through the review, just Linkara's description of At Earth's end made me feel less intelligent by the moment.

Also...in a universe where you have the genetic material of Bruce Wayne, JFK, Lex Luthor, and Gandhi at hand...why would you clone Hitler?

Not once...but twice!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity: I stayed through it for the satisfying ending where Linkera burns his copy. Truly, it made the painful synopsis worthwhile to see it being given the treatment it deserved :P

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Also, Linkara finally got around to reviewing something from the New 52.

It was Teen Titans: The Culling.

And no, he did not like it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lvenger
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Nope.

He did say that in his opinion, there's more bad than good but there are some good gems (he goes through a funny montage where half of them are canceled, got shafted by the editors, or other points that drag them down).

He also really, really does not like the whole "Metahumans are on the Government's sh!tlist" storyline that has been done, redone, flipped over and done some more over and over.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity: That's the Culling wrapped up in one basket I suppose so no wonder he doesn't like it.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: It also probably doesn't appeal to anyone unfond of boring invincible villains who scream "JUST AS PLANNED" at the drop of the hat and pages after pages of pointless fighting.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: You should see the review after Fortunate Son, it's hilarious.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

he's different and ordinary. there is none like THOR in all of the comic universe.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#40  Edited By Extremis

I like Thor because, well obviously, he's a hero. But he's a flawed hero. I can relate to that as we all have our shortcomings. Even younger Thor, who is confident to a fault, is a great character as his youth and naivete is all the more apparent. It's all in extension of his desire for glory and self sacrificing nature. It's for this reason that I can always find enjoyment in Thor, even if he's being bullheaded, because it really stems from his heroic nature. His godliness also makes for some interesting humor when dealing with mortals. Thor's a funny dude whether he knows it or not.

I like the surrounding mythology, the science fiction of it, the nine realms, Asgard, the byfrost, the supporting cast, the otherworldly villains, the norse dialect, the Viking drama of it, the familial relationships, and just the grandeur of it all.

It's really such a rich universe Marvel has created using the old Norse god. I think how immersive and expansive Thor's world has since become, as well as his complexity as a character, have made him such an enduring figure.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like Thor for many reasons. These include:

The Traits of Thor

• Honor
    • Nobility
    • Courage
    • Resolve

The Powers of Thor

• Strength
    • Durability
    • Near Immortality
    • Elemental Control

The Weapon of Thor

• Mjolnir - Hammer of the Gods

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.