Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8580 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

What does the current staff of Marvel have against Thor?

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By TheGodofThunder

Toning down a character is one thing, having them pummeled to unconsciousness in every comic book other than their own is bullshit. Street level characters don't get beat up as much as Thor even though they're facing the same foe.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Nobody except another god of a similar level or a cosmic entity should have a sliver of a chance against Thor, period.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#203  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Crom-Cruach said:

Nobody except another god of a similar level or a cosmic entity should have a sliver of a chance against Thor, period.

Thor isn't that powerful though.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @TheGodofThunder said:

Toning down a character is one thing, having them pummeled to unconsciousness in every comic book other than their own is bullshit. Street level characters don't get beat up as much as Thor even though they're facing the same foe.

This is so false it's ridiculous.
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@Vance Astro said:

Thor isn't that powerful though.

Classic Thor was. As well as the versions in comics written by people who don't secretly hate him or have no cognizance of how powerful mythological Thor is. *inserts incoherent nerd rage*

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Crom-Cruach said:

Classic Thor was. As well as the versions in comics written by people who don't secretly hate him or have no cognizance of how powerful mythological Thor is. *inserts incoherent nerd rage*

No, he wasn't. He may have had some of his best feats years ago but Classic Thor has alot more low-end showings than current Thor.
    Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Malevolent1

I tend to agree with the OP. For the most part. I think the reason Thor fans are so sensitive to Thor's power level can be traced back to the JLA/Avengers crossover. Then, there was a lot of talk about the Sentry as Marvel's newest most powerful superhero. Along comes Annihilation, and the Surfer gets a power upgrade. Not long after that, The Surfer punks Beta Ray Bill (presumed to be equal to Thor) like a little school girl. These days, I think most Marvel fans would put the Surfer ahead of Thor in terms of overall power. Or at least a good number. Then there was the Hulk vs. DVD. Holy crap.

In the meantime, along comes Jeph Loeb and the whole Red Hulk/Thor farce. It seemed Marvel tried to quell the cries of Thor fans in the Sentry-Void/Thor fight in Siege, but that only brought more criticism.

Classic Thor, shows him punking powerhouses like Magneto, The Silver Surfer, The Abomination.

As King Thor, Thor kills every superhero on earth, only to will it all back and create an alternate time line. The only time I can think of that current Thor clearly demonstrated power levels over classic Thor was during the Disassembled arc, as King Thor (mentioned above)..which never happened(???) and when he had the Odin Force.

I think I could see why thread like these pop on comic web sites all the time. Heck, I DO see them pop up all the time on comic web sites like this all the time.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#208  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@gravitypress said:

@AgeofHurricane: Actually he got beat by the Phoenix force.

Lol. Either way, it was still Emma Frost.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#209  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I used to like Thor until there was an explosion of idiotic fanboys on this site that just totally spoiled the character 

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#210  Edited By RainEffect
    @Jonny_Anonymous said:
    I used to like Thor until there was an explosion of idiotic fanboys on this site that just totally spoiled the character 
    This happens with alarming frequency.
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#211  Edited By Lvenger

I do agree with the OP that JMS should have written Thor a bit longer. It was his run that got me interested in the character and made him my 5th favourite superhero. Admittedly Thor needs to use his incredibly versatile powers with Mjolnir that he hardly ever uses in a fight against someone like the Hulk more often and that he needs to get beat down less by the U-Foes and people on that level. But things aren't too bad for Thor atm. Fraction's leaving his series before Marvel Now so at least that's something to look forward to.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#212  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Funnily enough, Fraction writes Thor as being much more powerful than JMS ever did. Particularly considering JMS's Thor had the Odin Force.
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#213  Edited By Lvenger

@Morpheus_: Ha really? That's strange. Well that's actually Fraction for you but ah well I'm glad he's no longer writing my 5th favourite character after Marvel Now.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By hectorsquall

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I used to like Thor until there was an explosion of idiotic fanboys on this site that just totally spoiled the character

This is what I can't understand. Why do people dislike a character because of his fanboys? I know that some fans can really be annoying and piss off a lot of people but it shouldn't really matter as long as the character is still interesting to you. However if the stories s*ck or the writers butchered the character...

@Lvenger: FRACTION'S LEAVING!!!

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#215  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@AgeofHurricane said:

@gravitypress said:

@AgeofHurricane: Actually he got beat by the Phoenix force.

Lol. Either way, it was still Emma Frost.

Thor was probably like "Greatest...beatdown....ever." And he got lip locked by her too. I'd consider that a good notch in his hammer.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Malevolent1

@OmegaRed86 said:

@ThePhoenX said:

This :

Avengers Assemble (2011) #4 June 2012

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 683 APRIL 2012

Avengers Assemble (2011) #2 April 11, 2012

Avengers Assemble (2011) #1 March 2012

Thor: The Deviants Saga (2011) #3 January 2012

No Caption Provided

Thor: The Deviants Saga (2011) #2 DECEMBER 2011

:(

I weep into my ale and pray for death. For Marvel uses my favorite Marvel hero as a punching bag. Only the dead know peace from this sadness.

^^^^^^^^^^

This would be correct. Then people wonder why Thor fans get so pissed.

Hey, my suggestion? Stop clinging to the idea of what Thor once was, and has been on occasion. I love the uber powerful characters, but never really liked Superman. I latched on to Thor early on, when I first started reading comics. I loved classic Thor's immense power set. I loved the magic meets science fiction angle that was presented as a back drop for some of the stories then.

Those days are gone. Marvel simply does not treat what was once their ultimate powerhouse with the same respect that DC's Superman, for example, does. I say, stop reading the character altogether. I haven't read a Thor title for some time now. I sort of keep up by brushing through the pages at my local comic shop, but haven't actually bought an issue of Thor in a couple of years now. Marvel treats the character like crap. If they don't respect the character why should we spend our money reading a has been powerhouse?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Malevolent1 said: 

^^^^^^^^^^

Hey, my suggestion? Stop clinging to the idea of what Thor once was, and has been on occasion. I love the uber powerful characters, but never really liked Superman. I latched on to Thor early on, when I first started reading comics. I loved classic Thor's immense power set. I loved the magic meets science fiction angle that was presented as a back drop for some of the stories then.

Those days are gone. Marvel simply does not treat what was once their ultimate powerhouse with the same respect that DC's Superman, for example, does. I say, stop reading the character altogether. I haven't read a Thor title for some time now. I sort of keep up by brushing through the pages at my local comic shop, but haven't actually bought an issue of Thor in a couple of years now. Marvel treats the character like crap. If they don't respect the character why should we spend our money reading a has been powerhouse?

I'm starting to think that "Thor fans" on comicvine don't even read the comics they have such a problem with. People keep saying stuff like "Classic Thor was more powerful or Classic Thor didn't get beat up so much, Marvel is deviating from what Thor used to be." If you actually read the comics he's involved in..it's the furthest thing from the truth. The scans posted above are either out of context, or of character getting hit by a character that is ACTUALLY strong enough to hurt him. 

If you don't like the way Thor is written, story wise that's fine but pretending he was more powerful before (which he wasn't), that he didn't have low-end showings against weaker characters before (which he did and even more so than now), or that Marvel treats him like crap (although his popularity remains the same if not higher than before), I don't understand what you're talking about because as a Thor fan who actually reads the books he appears in..I don't see any of that.
    Avatar image for samuel_larson_10
    samuel_larson_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is just marvel's safety. If they need something impossible done, he does it, his feats are a testify to that. However Marvel seems to hate overpowered characters (except the hulk, they LOVE the hulk for some reason) I mean captain america is barely classified as superhuman but since he is marvel's flagship character he almost never loses. Marvel loves the little guys, mostly cuz big guys sometimes make it too easy and spoil the fun.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @samuel_larson_10 said:

Thor is just marvel's safety. If they need something impossible done, he does it, his feats are a testify to that. However Marvel seems to hate overpowered characters (except the hulk, they LOVE the hulk for some reason) I mean captain america is barely classified as superhuman but since he is marvel's flagship character he almost never loses. Marvel loves the little guys, mostly cuz big guys sometimes make it too easy and spoil the fun.

Marvel doesn't hate overpowered characters. If they get to that level, they depower them. Also Captain America loses plenty. Not just to his own villains but to other heroes.
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Crom-Cruach

My big problem with writing Thor is that I too rarely feel I'm reading about Thor, same thing with other gods. I've said this often, but gods showing up should always feel epic. Emma beating Thor is just insulting. When gods show up to a fight in should be EPIC with big capital letters. Lightning bolts raining down from the skies, cities being leveled with a single blow of a hammer. Combat in the sky where the sun is blotted out and the sky rains blood. You read myths and the epic stuff in there is just crazy, yet too many time Marvel Thor seems like just a super-strength brute with a cool hammer. Where's the sense that I'm seeing a god in action?

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous
    That can be said about a lot of characters.
    Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Malevolent1

@Vance Astro said:

@Malevolent1 said:

^^^^^^^^^^

I'm starting to think that "Thor fans" on comicvine don't even read the comics they have such a problem with. People keep saying stuff like "Classic Thor was more powerful or Classic Thor didn't get beat up so much, Marvel is deviating from what Thor used to be." If you actually read the comics he's involved in..it's the furthest thing from the truth. The scans posted above are either out of context, or of character getting hit by a character that is ACTUALLY strong enough to hurt him. If you don't like the way Thor is written, story wise that's fine but pretending he was more powerful before (which he wasn't), that he didn't have low-end showings against weaker characters before (which he did and even more so than now), or that Marvel treats him like crap (although his popularity remains the same if not higher than before), I don't understand what you're talking about because as a Thor fan who actually reads the books he appears in..I don't see any of that.

Wow. Pretending. So, you're implying that I'm intentionally writing misleading statements? Interesting. How about that.

I'm not sure I understand why you seem to think that current Thor (meaning, Thor since the Quesada era - now Alonzo era) is the same as he was 40 years ago?

True, Thor has suffered from inconsistency as much as any other character. But I think there is more than one angle to view this from.

1) Tell me with a straight face that you think Marvel has the same reverence for the character that Stan Lee or Jim Shooter did? Better yet, tell me with a straight face that you think Marvel has the same respect for the Thor character that DC does for Superman? Back then, Thor was Marvel's answer to Superman. JIm Shooter flat told DC to take a walk when they came to him (while he was EIC at Marvel) with the idea of the JLA/Avengers crossover. I can't really say current Thor merits the same loyalty, do you? Which leads me to my next point...

2) Ah...Kurt Busiek. You either love him or hate him. This is the guy who was the brains behind aforementioned crossover that finally came to fruition. We all know how that went down. Y'know, in the end, like Joe Quesada says, "It's comics! Anything goes". Well, that is for sure at Marvel anymore. But I venture to say that comic fans, although they may be esteemed more lightly than those who profess reverence for other mediums, still have the same devotion as your average sports fan. Speaking of sports it used to be that the heavy weight fight in boxing was the headliner. As was the fight between Superman and Thor. Isn't it funny that that fight ended in a ass-whipping for Thor? I mean, you ever think about that? Busiek could have had that fight end in a draw, irrespective of who would actually win, I'm talking, from a business stand point. If that fight had've ended in a draw, we would've seen at least another Marvel/DC collaboration by now, maybe two. Marvel and DC could've milked the Thor/Superman fight until the end of time, similar to how Marvel milks the Hulk/Thor fight to this day...) Even Busiek talks about the fallout from Thor fans over that fight. I actually had a chance to chat with Mr. Busiek over on another site. Nice guy (ironically, the topic over there had to do with whether Thor had been de-powered or not...and I've seen that topic come up numerous times on numerous comic sites just like this one...seem's I'm not the only "pretender" out there...). He claims to be a Thor fan. He never mentioned to me that he was also a huge Superman fan. But whatever. The topic came up concerning his durablility. He claims his research of Thor (now why a Thor fan would have to research him, I'm not really sure...) led him to believe Thor was about the same as Wonder Woman. Now, it is true, character's suffer from inconsistent writing over the years. I don't care who the character is, it's going to happen. But how does a guy get knocked out by bullet fire when he has gone head to head with a nuke that could destroy a planet and then survive a planetary fall? Or much less, be cut (notwithstanding someone who wields a weapon capable of such damage AND who has the strength to wield it)? I could go on, but suffice to say: writers over at Marvel don't seem to put enough research into the characters they are unfamiliar with before writing them AND, apparently, writer's and editors can allow their fanboyism to dictate the outcome of confrontations. The JLA/Avengers crossover, in my opinion, was the single most destructive thing that Marvel could've done to the Thor character and Thor fans. And with their disdain of fans criticism, I can't really say it's going to get any better.

3) Hulk vs. DVD. I know it has nothing to do with the comics. I get that. But it's a matter of perception. I mean, holy cow. I'm guessing, that like myself, there are plenty of Thor fans out there who subscribed to Stan's original notion that Thor was supposed to be Marvel's top offering of superheroes. The creme dela creme. The uno numero. The top dog. But to me, that is one of his obvious traits and attractions to those who are his fans: his power. I can't really say that Marvel is on board with that anymore. And granted, comics has become very transitory these days. People jumping ship between DC and Marvel is common place now. And many adding their talents to the comic medium have no vested interest in any of those characters. Hell, for some, I'm quite certain it is a stepping stone to bigger and better things, or maybe a temporary layover before the next big gig. So we are truly fortunate when people with talent are actually fans of Thor (Grevioux, Stracynski). But the point is: no matter what medium it comes through, continuity or not, it's about perception.

4) I'm completely lost. What feats are you citing that make you think that Thor today is the same as he was forty years ago? (no Odin force, no rune magic)

I'm almost certain this is not the first time you've seen threads like this and it probably won't be the last. I can think of at least five sites where this very topic has come up numerous times in just the last year. I'm sure there are many more.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Malevolent1 said:

Wow. Pretending. So, you're implying that I'm intentionally writing misleading statements? Interesting. How about that.

I'm not sure I understand why you seem to think that current Thor (meaning, Thor since the Quesada era - now Alonzo era) is the same as he was 40 years ago?

True, Thor has suffered from inconsistency as much as any other character. But I think there is more than one angle to view this from.

1) Tell me with a straight face that you think Marvel has the same reverence for the character that Stan Lee or Jim Shooter did? Better yet, tell me with a straight face that you think Marvel has the same respect for the Thor character that DC does for Superman? Back then, Thor was Marvel's answer to Superman. JIm Shooter flat told DC to take a walk when they came to him (while he was EIC at Marvel) with the idea of the JLA/Avengers crossover. I can't really say current Thor merits the same loyalty, do you? Which leads me to my next point...

2) Ah...Kurt Busiek. You either love him or hate him. This is the guy who was the brains behind aforementioned crossover that finally came to fruition. We all know how that went down. Y'know, in the end, like Joe Quesada says, "It's comics! Anything goes". Well, that is for sure at Marvel anymore. But I venture to say that comic fans, although they may be esteemed more lightly than those who profess reverence for other mediums, still have the same devotion as your average sports fan. Speaking of sports it used to be that the heavy weight fight in boxing was the headliner. As was the fight between Superman and Thor. Isn't it funny that that fight ended in a ass-whipping for Thor? I mean, you ever think about that? Busiek could have had that fight end in a draw, irrespective of who would actually win, I'm talking, from a business stand point. If that fight had've ended in a draw, we would've seen at least another Marvel/DC collaboration by now, maybe two. Marvel and DC could've milked the Thor/Superman fight until the end of time, similar to how Marvel milks the Hulk/Thor fight to this day...) Even Busiek talks about the fallout from Thor fans over that fight. I actually had a chance to chat with Mr. Busiek over on another site. Nice guy (ironically, the topic over there had to do with whether Thor had been de-powered or not...and I've seen that topic come up numerous times on numerous comic sites just like this one...seem's I'm not the only "pretender" out there...). He claims to be a Thor fan. He never mentioned to me that he was also a huge Superman fan. But whatever. The topic came up concerning his durablility. He claims his research of Thor (now why a Thor fan would have to research him, I'm not really sure...) led him to believe Thor was about the same as Wonder Woman. Now, it is true, character's suffer from inconsistent writing over the years. I don't care who the character is, it's going to happen. But how does a guy get knocked out by bullet fire when he has gone head to head with a nuke that could destroy a planet and then survive a planetary fall? Or much less, be cut (notwithstanding someone who wields a weapon capable of such damage AND who has the strength to wield it)? I could go on, but suffice to say: writers over at Marvel don't seem to put enough research into the characters they are unfamiliar with before writing them AND, apparently, writer's and editors can allow their fanboyism to dictate the outcome of confrontations. The JLA/Avengers crossover, in my opinion, was the single most destructive thing that Marvel could've done to the Thor character and Thor fans. And with their disdain of fans criticism, I can't really say it's going to get any better.

3) Hulk vs. DVD. I know it has nothing to do with the comics. I get that. But it's a matter of perception. I mean, holy cow. I'm guessing, that like myself, there are plenty of Thor fans out there who subscribed to Stan's original notion that Thor was supposed to be Marvel's top offering of superheroes. The creme dela creme. The uno numero. The top dog. But to me, that is one of his obvious traits and attractions to those who are his fans: his power. I can't really say that Marvel is on board with that anymore. And granted, comics has become very transitory these days. People jumping ship between DC and Marvel is common place now. And many adding their talents to the comic medium have no vested interest in any of those characters. Hell, for some, I'm quite certain it is a stepping stone to bigger and better things, or maybe a temporary layover before the next big gig. So we are truly fortunate when people with talent are actually fans of Thor (Grevioux, Stracynski). But the point is: no matter what medium it comes through, continuity or not, it's about perception.

4) I'm completely lost. What feats are you citing that make you think that Thor today is the same as he was forty years ago? (no Odin force, no rune magic)

I'm almost certain this is not the first time you've seen threads like this and it probably won't be the last. I can think of at least five sites where this very topic has come up numerous times in just the last year. I'm sure there are many more.

I'm not implying that you are purposely writing misleading statements, I'm implying you may not be up to date on Thor because your statements don't match what Thor has actually done. 

1.I don't know how Thor was supposed to be an answer to Superman in the first place. Superman is DC's flagship character. If anything Spider-Man is Marvel's Superman and he is marketed as such. Now thanks to the film, more people are exposed to Thor, his popularity is growing but he was never at any point treated well enough that he was comparable to Superman. If you mean in terms of power..well Thor is still Marvel's go to powerhouse. The only times he isn't or wasn't is when he was "dead". 

2.JLA/Avengers is non-canon, so this is part of the problem i'm having with this thread. It's not detrimental to the character because it technically never happened in the Marvel Universe, so how could fans of a character have so much of an issue with something that has no ACTUAL effect on the character? Even if it WAS canon (which it isn't), it's one writer's poor interpretation of a character vs. thousands of appearances. Consistency can be drawn out of any character. For the most part writers put Thor's abilities on one level, those that don't..do so FAR LESS frequent than the other way around..and this is the same with EVERY CHARACTER, so i'm not getting why this has become "Marvel doesn't care about Thor", yes they do. If they didn't, we wouldn't even know who Thor is. He wouldn't have a film out with a sequel on the way, and he wouldn't be so important to the Marvel Universe as far as comics is concerned. The entire Siege event revolved around Thor and Asgard, they don't do that for characters they don't care about. 

3.The fact that Marvel even made a Hulk vs. Thor, proves they care about the character. They could have done Hulk vs. Iron Man or anyone else..but they chose Thor. Just because the plot didn't go how you wanted doesn't mean Marvel hates the character. They do alot of stuff in films that I don't like but I separate films from comics because they are purposely different for a reason and I get that. You have to take a film as it's own entity.  Applying what you know about a character via comics to a film makes no sense. Almost none of them have EVER been accurate to the comics.

4.Thor is actually stronger and more powerful than he was 40 years ago. People seem to be under the impression that Thor's stats are what they are and never changed but in actuality Thor was weaker than Hulk when he was first created. He didn't begin as a class 100 powerhouse, his progressively got to that point. There's nothing Thor did 40 years ago that he couldn't do now, Thor hasn't gotten weaker and nothing shown in comics suggests that.

I have seen threads like this, but usually when people say that Marvel is ruining their favorite characters, they are usually upset that their favorite character has been written out of character, but it's almost never for a character that Marvel CLEARLY values as much as Thor, it's usually for characters that Marvel doesn't seem to push hard enough or give enough attention to.
    OmegaRed86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By OmegaRed86

Good healthy debate with no cursing or name calling. I like this.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @TheAcidSkull said:

i'm not much of a thor fan but i'm starting to think that he does not get the respect he deserves, he has been jobbing a lot lately

Jobbing to who?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @TheAcidSkull said:

@Vance Astro: emma frost for example, yes i know she was amped but really that kind of beat down should not have taken place, Thor is The GOD OF THE GODDAMN THUNDER , he should at least have but up a better fight, yes i also know he shattered her but then she came back and moped the floor with him, which was very stupid

I think that's maybe just a testament to the power of the Phoenix. I don't know how powerful and amped Emma would or should be which is why I can't see how this can be called jobbing. Assuming this was an instance where he jobbed though, this is Av X were talking about..everyone is jobbing, so any way you cut it that's not a good example because it makes it seem as if Marvel is only doing this to Thor when in fact alot of characters have lost thus far to others they shouldn't have. It seems to many people seem to be under the impression that he's Thor has weakened or that he's losing or struggling with characters he actually should be able to beat, but being someone whom reads both Thor and Avengers, I don't see what people are talking about. The only instance I can think of that people would maybe see as Thor jobbing is against Rulk, but in their second encounter..Rulk made it clear that if not for Banner, Thor would have killed him.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @TheAcidSkull said:

@Vance Astro: you do have a pint bit that battle was really humiliating if you ask me, and i'm not even a thor fan

I don't know how it could be humiliating for someone's favorite character to lose to one, who's full power has not been displayed or even suggested yet. I understand you're not a Thor fan but alot of the people that have been posting here are and the reasons they seem to be giving as far as why they think Marvel doesn't care about Thor any more don't make a lick of sense..it almost feels like they were never fans to begin with. 
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @TheAcidSkull said:

@Vance Astro: i'm not saying the Marvel does not care about Thor, i'm saying he was wrongly displayed

I know you aren't, that is however the premise of the thread. As far as being wrong displayed..I don't see how one makes the assessment but ok.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @fightingforfreedom said:

@Vance Astro said:

Jobbing to who?

Wolverine.

Thor never jobbed to Wolverine. 

to being beat to a bloody pulp with own hammer by Hulk, 

If you're talking about Banner, I don't believe that's ever happened in a canon comic.
    Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@TheAcidSkull: I have to agree with you about it being displayed wrong.

I was very angry at marvel for what they were doing to thor or what it seemed they were doing to thor, but now I think I realize the problem I actually have with how. The Thor vs emma frost fight had an obvious outcome. It would be dumb if thor could beat a member of the phoenix 5 on his own because then that would severely deplete their threat level. My problem was how it was displayed. He got a few good hits in, but then when emma hit him, he couldn't do a damn thing. Make it a good fight at least. Did he forget how to counter and block hits? Marvel fights are so horrendously one sided it's not even funny. The zodiac is another good example from avengers assemble.

Avatar image for fightingforfreedom
    fightingforfreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:

Thor never jobbed to Wolverine.

In Thor vs Wolverine #2, he did.

@Vance Astro said:

If you're talking about Banner, I don't believe that's ever happened in a canon comic.

Now I remember it did occur in a non canon comic.

But he's blitzed by Rhino.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

In Thor vs Wolverine #2, he did.

No, he didn't. 

But he's blitzed by Rhino.

He didn't get blitzed. He got attacked from behind. 

@TheGodofThunder said:

Marvel fights are so horrendously one sided it's not even funny. 

In events, maybe...
    Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not a huge fan of Thor but I feel for those of you who are. He is one of the lest consistent characters written in terms of power, alternating between insane feats and then humiliating losses. I disagree with the idea that Thor should be the pinnacle of power in the Marvel U, but even if it was so, as long as it done in a consistent manner I would be fine with it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Brazen_Intellect said:

He is one of the lest consistent characters written in terms of power

No, he's not.

@Brazen_Intellect said:

alternating between insane feats and then humiliating losses.

Thor doesn't have alot of humiliating loses. Every character had their low points but Thor doesn't have anymore than anyone else.
    NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By NexusOfLight

As someone who's followed Thor from the time he was going by Jake Olsen, to say that Marvel's been treating Thor badly is ludicrous. In the comics, EMH, the movies, he's been treated very well.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @NexusOfLight said:

As someone who's followed Thor from the time he was going by Jake Olsen, to say that Marvel's been treating Thor badly is ludicrous. In the comics, EMH, the movies, he's been treated very well.

Finally, a real Thor fan.
    MzombieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By MzombieX
    @TheCosmicMind
    "Okay, Thor gets rescued and then fights back, and eventually gets to kill the Sentry/Void, of course they couldn't even let this happen in a straight fight, the Void had to ask Thor to kill him!" 

I don't really view the way the battle went down with Sentry/Void, being any less of a feat just because he was asked to kill him.  
    Thor has sworn an oath to keep his power in check and not kill mortals. Void was a great threat but there was still the man trapped inside. 
    Sentry was able to regain a sense of self for a brief moment, just long enough to grant permission to the only guy that could end this. 
    That's all it was ... Sentry gave Thor permission to do what he wouldn't have, unless there was absolutely no other option. 
    Yet just because Sentry asked to be killed doesn't change the Void's power level or make the entity weaker. Void quickly regained control of the situation and once again began its assault on the heroes.  
    Thor putting him down is just as much a display of power, wether he was granted permission to break his oath or not.

Granted there are times recently that can make you scratch your head and question "Why is Thor not handling this situation better?" considering we all know he is capable of this and that etc. 
    Then again is it really any different than Thor has been shown at times in the past? It wouldn't be the first time Thor has held back or been in fights where he doesn't utilize his full power/skill set. 
    Even classic Thor didn't always do everything in his power we know he is fully capable of ... and the sake of story often dictated this. One day he is knocking around Surtur and Ymir at the same time and the next day he is struggling with the Wrecking Crew - and then goes back against the Wrecking Crew several issues later and replies that he was toying with them and holding back ... but this time he won't grant them mercy and he handles them effortlessly.

Thor still has plenty of great recent feats; Such as the Void mentioned, redirecting the power of 10,000 gods and tearing through Glory and reality itself, going to hell and back, rocking Galactus and facing the Surfer, taking out Hulk and Thing at the same time while each was amped by "Mjolnir" weapons, killing a Skyfather ... and the list goes on. There is another thread on these forums that showcases Thor's greatest modern feats ... and there are plenty. On the other hand, I do realize that it then stands in stark contrast to the times he is seen failing in attempts - when confronted with far lesser obstacles than the ones mentioned. I also agree it is handled pretty poorly at times and does seem to be more often and repeatedly as of late, that the character is mistreated by Marvel's writing staff. Yet he isn't the first character in history to be written inconsistantly to move the plot or keep things interesting. It unfortunately happens across the board with Marvel characters and DC alike.
    HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#242  Edited By HellionVulcan

Currently hes getting the Ares Gladiator treatment losing to make others look a billion times better but he'll rebound cause he is apart of marvels A grade characters .

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By NerdsFTW

"Thor is underpowered" threads are going to keep being made.And Marvel doesn't give a f*ck about it.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#244  Edited By jhazzroucher

Thor is underpowered because his teammates are way less powerful than him. That's why I prefer him to be on a solo book or join a new team with members as powerful as he is.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By ratman19

i think people should stop complaining i dont read thor nor have any interest in reading him. but im a superman fan and if i can tolerate superman being beaten by batman. than thor fans should tolerate hulk who is one of marvels most powerful charecters beating thor

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @NerdsFTW said:

"Thor is underpowered" threads are going to keep being made.And Marvel doesn't give a f*ck about it.

If people actually read the content than they wouldn't keep being made.  

@jhazzroucher said:

Thor is underpowered because his teammates are way less powerful than him. That's why I prefer him to be on a solo book or join a new team with members as powerful as he is.

This isn't true at all.  
    PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#247  Edited By PurpleCandy

I agree, the people at Marvel must thing he's a guy in Wal-Mart threads with a Toys R Us Hammer right?

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By NerdsFTW

@Vance Astro said:

If people actually read the content than they wouldn't keep being made.

I'm pretty sure people have accepted that Classic Thor is over.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @NerdsFTW said:

I'm pretty sure people have accepted that Classic Thor is over.

Current Thor isn't WEAKER than Classic Thor, though as many suggest. He doesn't use all of the same spells and tactics but he's not weaker.
    NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By NerdsFTW

@Vance Astro said:

Current Thor isn't WEAKER than Classic Thor, though as many suggest. He doesn't use all of the same spells and tactics but he's not weaker.

What I meant to say is that Thor has forgot about 99% of his hammer's classic abilities(I know Current Thor possesses the same powers).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.