Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8580 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

What does the current staff of Marvel have against Thor?

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#151  Edited By majestic99

@Vance Astro:

Then how come Hulk was able to lift because of strength in the movie?

My personal opinion is because he has horrible writers, I just want to hear a Thor expert's opinion.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @majestic99 said:

@Vance Astro:

Because the writers wanted him to. 

@majestic99 said:

My personal opinion is because he has horrible writers, I just want to hear a Thor expert's opinion.

What is this based on though? Movies,Cartoons or comics? Everyone knows that anything outside of comics isn't going to match what's in it.Those things are their own universes.
    Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#153  Edited By Lance Uppercut

@majestic99 said:

@Vance Astro:

What horrible writers?

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By majestic99

@Vance Astro said:

What is this based on though? Movies,Cartoons or comics? Everyone knows that anything outside of comics isn't going to match what's in it.Those things are their own universes.

Movies. If I make a animated Thor movie, I want it to match comics exactly.

@Lance Uppercut said:

What horrible writers?

When it comes to Thor: Craig Kyle, Greg Johnson, and Frank Paur.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @majestic99 said:

I want it to match comics exactly.

Marvel Movies never have though and just being realistic, they can't. 
    majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By majestic99

@Vance Astro said:

Why is that?

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#157  Edited By Lance Uppercut

@majestic99: Oh. You're not even talking about comics. You're talking about animated films. They have nothing to do with one another. Marvel staff doesn't have anything against Thor. A couple of showings in direct to dvd films < comics. It's literally getting pissed off about nothing.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @majestic99 said:

@Vance Astro said:

Why is that?

It would be hard to pick out a story they could tell page for page without needing to provide and additional back story to explain it.
    majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By majestic99

@Lance Uppercut said:

@majestic99: Oh. You're not even talking about comics. You're talking about animated films. They have nothing to do with one another. Marvel staff doesn't have anything against Thor. A couple of showings in direct to dvd films < comics. It's literally getting pissed off about nothing.

Why are movies and comics so different?

And with comics, why is they depowered Thor?

Modern Thor gets owned by Rhino(serpant's tooth), slapped by Rulk(in a story written by Jeph Loeb), doesn't possess molecular manipulation, great reactionary speed feats, time manipulation, invisibility/intangibility, mind control, barriers, energy absorption and redirection, hasn't sat inside the core of the sun or survived a planet destroying bomb(Doomsday),etc.

I think it's because if Thor could perform his craziest feats on a consistent basis and have it to where his power increases with age, he would unbeatable.

DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#160  Edited By DevilInside4

@Vance Astro said:

@DevilInside4 said:

Ri8 said dude!

Do you even read what those people say before you agree with it?

I quoted the ri8 part I think!! And I think they are speaking the truth!!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @majestic99 said:

Why are movies and comics so different?

They aren't the same universe. 

@majestic99 said:

And with comics, why is they depowered Thor?

They didn't. 

@majestic99 said:

Modern Thor gets owned by Rhino(serpant's tooth), slapped by Rulk(in a story written by Jeph Loeb), doesn't possess molecular manipulation, great reactionary speed feats, time manipulation, invisibility/intangibility, mind control, barriers, energy absorption and redirection, hasn't sat inside the core of the sun or survived a planet destroying bomb(Doomsday),etc.

I think it's because if Thor could perform his craziest feats on a consistent basis and have it to where his power increases with age, he would unbeatable.

I never seen the instance that involves Rhino but Rulk admitted Thor would have killed him had Green Hulk not stepped into their fight.Just because he doesn't use molecular manipulation as much as he used to doesn't mean he doesn't have it,his reactionary feats were few and far between anyway, just like they are for everyone else,Thor doesn't have time manipulation,invisibility or mind control capabilities, he does however have energy absorption, but again..just because he hasn't used them doesn't mean he doesn't have them. Why would Thor need to go into the sun or destroy a planet.Most characters who have done that have only done that like once or twice in their careers. 

Nobody performs their best feats on a regular basis.Amazing feats are few and far between for EVERYONE.Also Thor wouldn't be unbeatable otherwise.
    majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By majestic99

@Vance Astro said:

I never seen the instance that involves Rhino but Rulk admitted Thor would have killed him had Green Hulk not stepped into their fight.Just because he doesn't use molecular manipulation as much as he used to doesn't mean he doesn't have it,his reactionary feats were few and far between anyway, just like they are for everyone else,Thor doesn't have time manipulation,invisibility or mind control capabilities, he does however have energy absorption, but again..just because he hasn't used them doesn't mean he doesn't have them. Why would Thor need to go into the sun or destroy a planet.Most characters who have done that have only done that like once or twice in their careers. Nobody performs their best feats on a regular basis.Amazing feats are few and far between for EVERYONE.Also Thor wouldn't be unbeatable otherwise.

1. He lacks consistent reactionary speed feats that put him on the same level as other powerhouses(like Superman)

2. Time manipulation, invisibility, my bad, I meant memory erasal.

Ricky_Gervais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#163  Edited By Ricky_Gervais

Nothing.

crom1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By crom1981

@Ricky_Gervais: after a few hours thinking about it.(leg is broken,have a lot of time)agree.

Why.Because he has 2 big events on him.Was main Charakter in Siege and Fear itself.He actually killed the Void and a Skyfather.Had a big Part in Secret Invasion.

PS That Reynolds wantet to die does not mean its actually easier to kill him.He wanted to kill himself and didn´t make it.

@majestic99:

1.Never was the question here.not but him in the same level as other powerhouses,come on.Hulk never showed either but will regulary put in this leage???

2.Time maniplation was done with odinforce and help of Tarene by using zarkos device. second picture not invisibility for me. When should he use this .use it on the scrull to forget conquer earth or Sentry to be the void.??

Hulk vs Thor at least it shold have been a harder fight.But it was a Hulk without Banner.That means only Rage and Anger in his Head .Which makes him probably one of the strongest Hulk versions.It should have been more obvious.so people who dont know the Comics,do not think Hulk is everytime overpowering Thor so easaly.

ThePhoenX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By ThePhoenX

This :

Avengers Assemble (2011) #4 June 2012

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 683 APRIL 2012

Avengers Assemble (2011) #2 April 11, 2012

Avengers Assemble (2011) #1 March 2012

Thor: The Deviants Saga (2011) #3 January 2012

No Caption Provided

Thor: The Deviants Saga (2011) #2 DECEMBER 2011

:(

crom1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By crom1981

i don´t know but this is all in a Team where Thor nearly ALWAYS is displayed depowered. AS the Hulk ,Superman and all other Powerhouses. The most Time at least.Only to do the Finishing Blow you can see their normal Powerlevel in some rare scenes .But this was always so . Not only under the current staff of marvel.

PS This Tutinax guy has the byname "Mountain Mover"and fought Eternal ..Rino had a powerboost from the Serpant.So yes there are guys who can be Hard even for Thor

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Crom-Cruach

It's simple. Marvel knows Thor is too awesome to waste time with 90% of the characters they created and because they are themselves fanboys of their creations, they create revenge fantasies of their inferior characters winning against him.

ashland838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By ashland838

The truth is Marvel keeps throwing Thor at other characters trying to validate them. I've seen some really stupid things involving Thor lateley. Thor vs. Storm for example. This fight is a one hitter quitter, PERIOD. Thor would kick the living $h!t out of the entire Xmen himself. Marvel is really doing some jacked up things with the God of Thunder. Even under a curse from Hela (cursed with the brittle bones of an old man) Thor killed the midgaurd serpent. So marvel trying to say Storm can have a go at Thor is the pinnacle of a writer going off his rocker. Aside from dudes like Goliath and The Silver Surfer, no one can stand up against Thor for long, not even the Hulk. So Marvel, if you are listening. " I say thee nay!"

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Malevolent1

@ashland838: Agreed. Another thing I have confirmed in a conversation I recently had with a comic writer on another site, is that their research of the characters they are not overly familiar with sucks. And I mean, sucks. When questioned by a number of posters on the thread, he was very dismissive and pretty much, what we write is what you're getting was his attitude, although subtle.

And let's not forget; the average writer can be a fanboy too. And yes, this can distort the writing of a perceived rival (like Thor and Superman).

Hey, all you can do is educate when people ask questions like, "Why did Thor get beat so badly by Hulk in the Hulk vs. DVD". Educate, educate, educate.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @majestic99 said:

1. He lacks consistent reactionary speed feats that put him on the same level as other powerhouses(like Superman)

Well he's not on Superman's level..so there's that. Thor doesn't move instantly as fast as Superman. They may have a similar top speed but that's beside the point.

@majestic99 said:

2. Time manipulation, invisibility, my bad, I meant memory erasal.

Most characters with ALOT of powers only use one or two of them regularly.Still don't get why this is being made about what Marvel has against Thor. His treatment is that same as that of other characters. (Dr.Strange,Silver Surfer, and Sentry just to name a few are proof of that).

@ashland838 said:

The truth is Marvel keeps throwing Thor at other characters trying to validate them."

Marvel does the same thing with Spider-Man,Wolverine,Captain America,Iron Man and every other A-list character.In fact they do this with Wolverine more so than any of them. He's been used to validate tons of characters fighting skill.  
    RoyalDivinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By RoyalDivinity

Classic and current Thor are one and the same. It's the characters surrounding Thor that depicts his power. Thor v. Dark Avengers? He was having a tough time. Thor v. Glory? He was utilizing attacks that would have destroyed the Dark Avengers with one shot. Thor is a dues ex machina, written to adapt to the power level set by the plot.They fluctuate with time due to the severity of the story at hand. Hence why Thor had a beat down by the Dark Avengers yet in that same comic, he was capable of fighting Void without obtaining any damage before Void transformed. A speedblitz from Void alone would do more damage than anything the Dark Avengers threw at him could have ever done.It's the comic writing at hand that determines a character's power levels. This doesn't necessarily mean they will lose said power, this means said power will be held off until it's required.

This can be implied in many ways. It's the comic writing at hand that determines a character's power levels. This doesn't necessarily mean they will lose said power, this means said power will be held off until it's required.If a fight between Superman and Thor were to be played out, it could go either way. It isn't because Thor doesn't possess the speed capable of taking on Superman, it's because Thor possesses inconsistent speed feats that postulates the possibility of taking on the Man of Steel. Could this not be due to the fact that Thor is usually held earthbound?

The plot hasn't required him to preform such powers in today's age but it doesn't mean that he can no longer preform such feats. He's utilized matter manipulation on a much smaller scale to change his outfit, which implies he hasn't lost the ability but simply won't be written to utilize it unless a situation requires him to do such. A more analytical answer would add the inclusion of Thor's personality depicting combat and situation. With the way he's written nowadays, he clearly isn't the brightest fish in the pond. Furthermore, from what we know of Mjolnir, which is a magical weapon and magic in comics is often considered plot power, what's to stop it from utilizing classic powers again should the writer choose to use it? It's not a question if Thor could replicate the feat, but it's a question if he needs to use such an exotic repertoire of powers to aid him in a battle of for the situation at hand. In a battle against skyfathers for example, Thor has utilized attacks he's never utilized on weaker beings before such as "Winds from one thousand Worlds." We can imply that Thor can utilize such an attack judging from his classic days when he utilized an attack one thousand times hotter than the sun against Surtur, but many discount it as there's no proof and is based upon speculation. To be honest, debates are based upon speculation are they not?What would happen if he simply preforms the feat again in a situation where it's required?

After stating a fraction of my cognizance, I envisage fights with the inclusion of the Thunder God to be on somewhat equivocal grounds against his opponents.

marvelfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#172  Edited By marvelfanboy

@PunkMastaFlex: Are you a professor at a college?

RoyalDivinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By RoyalDivinity

@marvelfanboy said:

Haha no. I'm seventeen.

marvelfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By marvelfanboy

@PunkMastaFlex: Seriously, I'm 17 too!

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#175  Edited By ReVamp

@PunkMastaFlex said:

@marvelfanboy said:

Haha no. I'm seventeen.

Everyone take notice how he didn't answer the question.

Start taking notes kiddos.

marvelfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By marvelfanboy

@ReVamp said:

Everyone take notice how he didn't dodge the question.

I'm not understanding your point, vamp.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By ReVamp

@marvelfanboy said:

@ReVamp said:

Everyone take notice how he didn't dodge the question.

I'm not understanding your point, vamp.

Read it again, typo.

RoyalDivinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By RoyalDivinity

@ReVamp said:

@PunkMastaFlex said:

@marvelfanboy said:

Haha no. I'm seventeen.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By ReVamp

@PunkMastaFlex said:

@ReVamp said:

@PunkMastaFlex said:

@marvelfanboy said:

Haha no. I'm seventeen.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Don't worry. I won't spoil all of your secrets, that would be too evil.

marvelfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By marvelfanboy

@PunkMastaFlex: @ReVamp: LMFAO

marvelfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By marvelfanboy

@ReVamp: Why do I feel like I"m the third wheel on an inside joke?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By ReVamp

@marvelfanboy said:

@ReVamp: Why do I feel like I"m the third wheel on an inside joke?

There's no inside joke, lol.

I just like making fun of Pump.

marvelfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By marvelfanboy

@ReVamp:

Only picture I could find with the words "I'm fine now":

No Caption Provided
    OmegaRed86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By OmegaRed86

@ThePhoenX said:

This :

No Caption Provided

I weep into my ale and pray for death. For Marvel uses my favorite Marvel hero as a punching bag. Only the dead know peace from this sadness.

SupahForeigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#185  Edited By SupahForeigner

It is slightly evident that Marvel nowadays is generally an opinionated comic group company whose opinion does not favour Thor. And to be honest, that is sad to see, Thor is a great character with a lot of potential in my opinion, some writers such as Straczynski are the only exception to this.

Hubjubjub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Hubjubjub

its because Thor is overpowered! they are just toning him down a bit

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Crom-Cruach

He's not overpowered, he just put against puny insects beneath him with too rabid dellusional fanboys

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#188  Edited By 2chimcha3

@Hubjubjub: A bit. Did you not see the scans above? Thats not just a bit. Besides he was designed to be overpowered and have tales of great epicness. Its alright to tone a character down a little, but what they have done to Thor is ridiculous.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Malevolent1

@SupahForeigner said:

It is slightly evident that Marvel nowadays is generally an opinionated comic group company whose opinion does not favour Thor. And to be honest, that is sad to see, Thor is a great character with a lot of potential in my opinion, some writers such as Straczynski are the only exception to this.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This is exactly correct. Gone are the days when Stan Lee and Jim Shooter promoted Thor as the top dog in the superhero universe over Superman. Heck, if Marvel believes Superman is more powerful than Thor, then it might be time to find a different character to follow. I personally believe Marvel's attitude toward Thor ranges from apathy to disdain, even contempt. Too much evidence supports this.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By seekquaze

@Hubjubjub said:

its because Thor is overpowered! they are just toning him down a bit

Let me put it this way. Can you picture Marvel putting the Hulk in the same defeats as they did to Thor in the scans? I cannot and I doubt many people can. That is the difference.

ThePhoenX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By ThePhoenX

No-one has even mentioned Planet Hulk (What a shame! LoL)! When Hulk wiped the floor with the Silver Surfer Beta Ray Bill!

ThePhoenX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By ThePhoenX

But More recently there is : " The Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes : Behold...The Vision!"

It should have his own topic because there 's so much to talk about...! :(

@seekquaze: You're right!

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By bigcimmerian

@OmegaRed86 said:

No Caption Provided

@ThePhoenX said:

This :

I weep into my ale and pray for death. For Marvel uses my favorite Marvel hero as a punching bag. Only the dead know peace from this sadness.

I think this is too much for me, Thor is my favorite Marvel hero and I don't want him to be treated like this especially since he has so many abilities and can literally beat every Marvel hero at once. Because of this I'm starting to hate Marvel and starting to like DC more than Marvel.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By vernierhawk001

I agree with the general sentiment of this thread. I don't even follow Thor that closely but he is certainly one of my favorite Marvel characters.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By vernierhawk001

That being said, is Iron Man really supposed to even be able to hold a candle to Thor? I was kind of upset about that little fight scene in the Avengers movie

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By seekquaze

@vernierhawk001 said:

That being said, is Iron Man really supposed to even be able to hold a candle to Thor? I was kind of upset about that little fight scene in the Avengers movie

That fight scene wasn't bad. Iron Man was amped to 400% of his normal levels to even compete with Thor. In the comics its the same way. Even then Iron Man never hurt Thor. Thor was laughing the whole time and crushing Iron Man's armor.

D00MSMITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By D00MSMITH

Thor will never be the same again after the abuse in AvX VS #4.....Really

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#198  Edited By AgeofHurricane

LMAO.

Thor got beat by Emma Frost LOL. In your face, suckers !!

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By gravitypress

@AgeofHurricane: Actually he got beat by the Phoenix force.

infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By infonation

@TheCosmicMind: The only way I can explain this is by saying that Thor is always holding back, that's why he doesn't automatically kill EVERY b-list villain he goes up against in a matter of seconds!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.