Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8580 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

What does the current staff of Marvel have against Thor?

DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By DevilInside4

and above all the most embarrassing moment Hulk Vs Thor the movie...and Hulk beaten Thor to death with normal melee attacks.....where he has survived planet busting bombs and explosion without any harm.....Isn't that a practical example of humiliating Thor in front of the world....he can survive powerful explosion but can't survive Hulks punches at there....good thinking by the creator.....who ever wrote the story he should die!!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @DevilInside4 said:

he can survive powerful explosion but can't survive Hulks punches at there....good thinking by the creator.....who ever wrote the story he should die!!

Tons of characters can take powerful explosions but no punches from Hulk.
    Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By Lance Uppercut

@Vance Astro said:

I'm starting to feel like nobody that's posting in this thread reads comics.
    DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By DevilInside4

@Vance Astro said:

@DevilInside4 said:

he can survive powerful explosion but can't survive Hulks punches at there....good thinking by the creator.....who ever wrote the story he should die!!

Tons of characters can take powerful explosions but no punches from Hulk.

U r ri8 about Iron Man taking damage.....but I don't understand what is in Hulk's punches....!! Wow and this is all suppose to be canon....

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @DevilInside4 said:

U r ri8 about Iron Man taking damage.....but I don't understand what is in Hulk's punches....!! Wow and this is all suppose to be canon....

None of it is canon.Earth-616 is the real Marvel Universe.Hulk vs. Thor didn't happen in that Universe.They've fought several times in comics but IIRC, Thor has won more often.The Hulk was so strong in Hulk vs. Thor because Banner was removed from him.Without his human side he is more powerful.
    Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheCosmicMind said:

And then the new Avengers cartoon where Hulk is constantly showing up Thor.

You mean Earth's Mightiest Heroes. When did Hulk ever show up Thor in that cartoon?

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AngeTheDude said:

Thor's comic is being ruined one Fraction at a time...

LOL

DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By DevilInside4

@Vance Astro said:

@DevilInside4 said:

None of it is canon.Earth-616 is the real Marvel Universe.Hulk vs. Thor didn't happen in that Universe.They've fought several times in comics but IIRC, Thor has won more often.The Hulk was so strong in Hulk vs. Thor because Banner was removed from him.Without his human side he is more powerful.

I know Hulk vs series is animation has nothing to do with comics. But still is that a way to humiliate him seriously??!! At their 1st encounter Hulk nearly killed Thor with simple attacks.....People likes to see animation rather than reading comics....and therefore they are having wrong idea about Thor...if he is beaten so easily via Hulk's simple attacks what would the fans think??!!

KnucklesNelson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#109  Edited By KnucklesNelson

Dear Comic Vine Universe:

I love thor and think that currant Marvel hates him. Its honestly that plain and simple, anyone who says differently is only catering to that doctrine in my eyes. I am not going to get into many details because all of which could be said has been said already by others and I feel it is stupid to repeat it. Thor had some really good books in the 80's, 90's, and some not many as of late. His best stuff is from the 80's as well as alot of other Marvel Comics Titles aswell... Anyone who is preaching story comes first, needs to go back and re read those books, if they have ever read them in the first place.

It is sad but true that Marvel Universe as a whole has become a joke, and alot of the characters not limited to Thor are hated and shown little to no respect at all. I feel that Thor should no longer be a part of earth events unless the situation calls apon it... Only when Cosmic level threats danger earth should he even be involved. He should be treated as the prize racehorse that is kept in the stables, and treated like the prize that he is. I feel Thor should head out into Space and fight foes that could give him a good fight, not the ones on earth. That should be more like R&R for the God of Thunder.

Thor should go back to slaying and laying in Asgard aswell. And take his fathers place as King of Asgard, have him killing Frost giants and powerful demons, while the Spider-Man, X-Men, and others worry about earth. Only calling apon Thor when the need is great enough, and I would also like see Thor take more of an active role in re building Asgard and also becoming more of a bridge between worlds, like Diana (Wonder Woman) does for Themyscira inside of the DCU.

These are just my opinions and should not be taken to heart by anyone who does not agree. I am not going to argue with you so I don't care, don't reply to me about any problems you may or maynot have, I don't care. These are the way I see things, and my eyes and ears are open I do read the comics. There is no reason the story cannot be solid and the writing still be able to pander to characters and be honest with their past feats. It has nothing to do with good writing its just lazyness and ego, pure and simple.

Well... There you have it... Just another persons opinion on the subject at hand. I hope not to flame anyone because I honestly don't care what you have to say if you are going to hate on me, I will just ignore it. I am that type of person where I am too much of a smartass to care at all. I have my opinions and you have yours. I posted mine here so others can read them and see how another person feels about the subject, not so anyone can blow up at me, and tell me a bunch of reasons why my opinion sucks or does not matter.

DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By DevilInside4

@KnucklesNelson said:

I love thor and think that currant Marvel hates him. Its honestly that plain and simple, anyone who says differently is only catering to that doctrine in my eyes. I am not going to get into many details because all of which could be said has been said already by others and I feel it is stupid to repeat it. Thor had some really good books in the 80's, 90's, and some not many as of late. His best stuff is from the 80's as well as alot of other Marvel Comics Titles aswell... Anyone who is preaching story comes first, needs to go back and re read those books, if they have ever read them in the first place.

It is sad but true that Marvel Universe as a whole has become a joke, and alot of the characters not limited to Thor are hated and shown little to no respect at all. I feel that Thor should no longer be a part of earth events unless the situation calls apon it... Only when Cosmic level threats danger earth should he even be involved. He should be treated as the prize racehorse that is kept in the stables, and treated like the prize that he is. I feel Thor should head out into Space and fight foes that could give him a good fight, not the ones on earth. That should be more like R&R for the God of Thunder.

Thor should go back to slaying and laying in Asgard aswell. And take his fathers place as King of Asgard, have him killing Frost giants and powerful demons, while the Spider-Man, X-Men, and others worry about earth. Only calling apon Thor when the need is great enough, and I would also like see Thor take more of an active role in re building Asgard and also becoming more of a bridge between worlds, like Diana (Wonder Woman) does for Themyscira inside of the DCU.

These are just my opinions and should not be taken to heart by anyone who does not agree. I am not going to argue with you so I don't care, don't reply to me about any problems you may or maynot have, I don't care. These are the way I see things, and my eyes and ears are open I do read the comics. There is no reason the story cannot be solid and the writing still be able to pander to characters and be honest with their past feats. It has nothing to do with good writing its just lazyness and ego, pure and simple.

Well... There you have it... Just another persons opinion on the subject at hand. I hope not to flame anyone because I honestly don't care what you have to say if you are going to hate on me, I will just ignore it. I am that type of person where I am too much of a smartass to care at all. I have my opinions and you have yours. I posted mine here so others can read them and see how another person feels about the subject, not so anyone can blow up at me, and tell me a bunch of reasons why my opinion sucks or does not matter.

Dude 1st of all awesome saying and 2nd u stole the words of my mouth....and I agree with u......thnx for sharing ur opinions....I feel the same way....he is a god and should be treated as 1!!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @DevilInside4 said:

I know Hulk vs series is animation has nothing to do with comics. But still is that a way to humiliate him seriously??!! At their 1st encounter Hulk nearly killed Thor with simple attacks.....People likes to see animation rather than reading comics....and therefore they are having wrong idea about Thor...if he is beaten so easily via Hulk's simple attacks what would the fans think??!!

I don't understand why you think it's humiliating.Be glad someone was interested enough in Thor to even give him the time of day.If people who don't read comics think Hulk can't be Thor, why does that matter? They don't participate in the medium that created the character, so there perception of Thor is irrelevant. If they see Thor outside of comics and then want to start reading comics, they will obviously find out for themselves that the comic universe and the one that depicts those characters in cartoons or films are completely different.Same way people did when they watched Spider-Man or  X-men.

@KnucklesNelson said:

I don't see how a character that does so much and has gained so much recognition appears somehow to be a character the company hates.It doesn't make any sense.If the stories that have been written about Thor don't intrigue you, that doesn't mean the company or the writers hate the character because quality of writing is matter of opinion itself. 

And for all of you who keep saying that Thor should be out of matters that have to deal with the earth.That would only prove that Marvel actually does hate the character.If Thor doesn't appear with the Avengers or Earth heroes, his popularity will drop and he won't matter anymore.Why do you think they have him there in the first place? Most of the things that happen in the Marvel Universe that matter and sell books happen on Marvel Earth.There are no superheroes that appear outside of Marvel Earth who's popularity is comparable to Marvel's A-list. 

Also if you're going to post you opinion on a forum, then don't expect people not to respond.
    Ragnarök

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Ragnarök

How can you make a thread whining about the treatment of a character who clearly has solidified himself as one of the most powerful superheroes not just in the Marvel Universe but in general? Marvel has dropped the ball with writing lately but if Thor is losing..then who the hell is winning? What character is actually doing well if Thor is not? Hasn't he been the one that has cleaned up the mess in every event since he returned at the end of Dark Reign. Thor has low showings just like every other character. The consistent showings are what you are supposed to look at. Also I saw that someone brought up "Ultimate Thor", he's nowhere near as powerful as his Earth-616 counterpart, so who cares if he got scrapped by Hyperion? Thread is ridiculous.

DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By DevilInside4

@Ragnarök said:

How can you make a thread whining about the treatment of a character who clearly has solidified himself as one of the most powerful superheroes not just in the Marvel Universe but in general? Marvel has dropped the ball with writing lately but if Thor is losing..then who the hell is winning? What character is actually doing well if Thor is not? Hasn't he been the one that has cleaned up the mess in every event since he returned at the end of Dark Reign. Thor has low showings just like every other character. The consistent showings are what you are supposed to look at. Also I saw that someone brought up "Ultimate Thor", he's nowhere near as powerful as his Earth-616 counterpart, so who cares if he got scrapped by Hyperion? Thread is ridiculous.

Yeah that's the Ultimate Thor...but people only will know that is Thor!! They don't even know how many Thor there are....they believe what they see.....and in cartoons and movie he is always being bullied by Hulk....!! Hulk wins and he always got beat up by him....is that seems to be fair....

Queen Ororo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Queen Ororo
    @DevilInside4 said:

and in cartoons and movie he is always being bullied by Hulk....!! Hulk wins and he always got beat up by him....is that seems to be fair....

There was only one animated film where Hulk dominated Thor...this is pure exaggeration.
    majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By majestic99

@Vance Astro said:

I do. But you're saying that because Hulk is more popular than Thor, Hulk is going to win. According to that logic, then because Batman is more popular than Despero, Batman should always be able to defeat Despero.

@jeanroygrant said:

Current Thor is awesome, and strong. trust me i have a lot of feats from current Thor.

Can you PM me ALL of his feats?

DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By DevilInside4

@Queen Ororo said:

@DevilInside4 said:

and in cartoons and movie he is always being bullied by Hulk....!! Hulk wins and he always got beat up by him....is that seems to be fair....

There was only one animated film where Hulk dominated Thor...this is pure exaggeration.

Well...there have been lots of video on Youtube about Thor vs Hulk...and most time he is being knocked out.....though he always holding back...but people won't understand it....

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@blur99 said:

When I heard of the Hulk VS movie I really wanted to see it. Then I saw some of it and was really disappointed. Bad movie. Thor, Wolvie, and the Hulk deserve better.

The only reason why everbody watched that movie was because of Deadpool.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#118  Edited By Strider1992

@DevilInside4 said:

and above all the most embarrassing moment Hulk Vs Thor the movie...and Hulk beaten Thor to death with normal melee attacks.....

More embarrassing than getting turned into a frog in Ultimate Spider-man?

DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By DevilInside4

@Strider92 said:

@DevilInside4 said:

and above all the most embarrassing moment Hulk Vs Thor the movie...and Hulk beaten Thor to death with normal melee attacks.....

More embarrassing than getting turned into a frog in Ultimate Spider-man?

See....I didn't know this...but it is very embarrassing.....!! But he actually had a comic on being the frog of thunder...didn't he??!!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Strider1992

@DevilInside4 said:

See....I didn't know this...but it is very embarrassing.....!! But he actually had a comic on being the frog of thunder...didn't he??!!

Yeah I think he did a while back but its still not as bad as Thor-Frog having a staring contest with Spider-man and eating flies...........lol

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Not to mention Loki put him a in a ball and played Basketball with him........no i'm not joking.......

DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By DevilInside4

@Strider92 said:

@DevilInside4 said:

Yeah I think he did a while back but its still not as bad as Thor-Frog having a staring contest with Spider-man and eating flies...........lol

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Not to mention Loki put him a in a ball and played Basketball with him........no i'm not joking.......

No u r joking ri8??!!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Strider1992

@DevilInside4: Nope not at all. Loki puts Thor-Frog in a green-ball and does that finger spinning thing with him lol. I'd post the vid if I could find it.

DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By DevilInside4

They already pissed me with their shitty cartoons and cartoon movies....but now comes to all this...??!! Are they joking....?? Perhaps I'll laugh on the video if u find it.....but still it will piss me of....!! I think it is funnier but the issue with Hulk vs Thor is not ...it makes me angry.....but whatever I'm happy that the movie isn't the part of the mainstream purely a writer(Hulk-Fan) based movie!!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Strider1992

@DevilInside4 said:

They already pissed me with their shitty cartoons and cartoon movies....but now comes to all this...??!! Are they joking....?? Perhaps I'll laugh on the video if u find it.....but still it will piss me of....!! I think it is funnier but the issue with Hulk vs Thor is not ...it makes me angry.....but whatever I'm happy that the movie isn't the part of the mainstream purely a writer(Hulk-Fan) based movie!!

To be fair Ultimate Spider-man has majorly screwed every character that has appeared not just Thor (apart from Taskmaster he was done pretty well). This show needs to get canceled and fast!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @majestic99 said:

I do. But you're saying that because Hulk is more popular than Thor, Hulk is going to win. According to that logic, then because Batman is more popular than Despero, Batman should always be able to defeat Despero.

That wasn't what I said.My exact words were, "Hulk will always be a match for him". That's no different between comics,movies,and cartoons.If The Hulk is fighting Thor and Marvel is showcasing this as a "clash of the titans", they will make sure Hulk fights just as well as Thor does although based on feats and what we know about Thor, he could dominate Hulk without being touched.What you're saying about Despero doesn't fit my logic at all.There are certain fights in the Marvel Universe that Marvel considers "epic" although they may be slightly mismatched.
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#126  Edited By Kallarkz
    @Strider92 said:

@DevilInside4 said:

To be fair Ultimate Spider-man has majorly screwed every character that has appeared not just Thor (apart from Taskmaster he was done pretty well). This show needs to get canceled and fast!

I don't think they have handled Luke that poorly 
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Kallarkz said:
    Aside from giving him Victor Alvarez's costume and look.
    majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By majestic99

@Vance Astro:

My point being is that because one character is more popular than another doesn't mean the former character should always win.

If I'm making a comicbook movie,I want it to be as close to comics as possible, not make the most popular character always win/most dominant.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @majestic99 said:

@Vance Astro:

My point being is that because one character is more popular than another doesn't mean the former character should always win.

If I'm making a comicbook movie,I want it to be as close to comics as possible, not make the most popular character always win/most dominant.

I never said that Hulk SHOULD win against Thor and I actually don't think he has.
    majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By majestic99

@Vance Astro said:

I never said that Hulk SHOULD win against Thor and I actually don't think he has.

Hulk Vs

Ultimate Avengers 1

Ultimate Avengers 2

These are just a few in which Hulk doesn't just win, he stomps.

Also(don't want to spoil anything), have you seen the Avengers?

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By jeanroygrant

@majestic99 said:

@Vance Astro said:

@jeanroygrant said:

Current Thor is awesome, and strong. trust me i have a lot of feats from current Thor.

Yes, all 400 of them.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#132  Edited By ReVamp

@Strider92 said:

Screwed up being "not the same"?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#133  Edited By Kallarkz
    @Vance Astro said:
    @Kallarkz said:
    Aside from giving him Victor Alvarez's costume and look.
    rather they slightly alter his look that make him act like a ridiculous clown incessantly

DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By DevilInside4

@majestic99 said:

@Vance Astro said:

Hulk Vs

Ultimate Avengers 1

Ultimate Avengers 2

exactly.....and that's what I want to say.....the studio thinks Hulk is most powerful but he is not....but apparently this stories doesn't belong to the mainstream....but still makes me mad...!!

DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By DevilInside4

@jeanroygrant said:

@majestic99 said:

@Vance Astro said:

@jeanroygrant said:

Yes, all 400 of them.

can u PM me too??!!

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Malevolent1

I think the perceived hate of the character Thor by the staff at Marvel can be evidenced by the difference in the way Thor is treated at Marvel vs the way Superman is treated at DC.

I compare these two because, Thor, IMHO, was Stan Lee's answer to Superman. Also, each character is considered by many to be the most powerful superhero in their respective universes.

So, maybe the reason so many perceive Marvel editorial to hate the character is because there is such a difference in the way the two characters are portrayed by their respective companies. To me, it's just that simple.

Thoughts?

OmegaRed86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By OmegaRed86

@DevilInside4 said:

I feel your pain, brother.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @majestic99 said:

Hulk Vs

Ultimate Avengers 1

Ultimate Avengers 2

I'm just going off memory.I didn't look it up because It's not that important and yes I saw Avengers, twice.  

@DevilInside4 said:

exactly.....and that's what I want to say.....the studio thinks Hulk is most powerful but he is not....but apparently this stories doesn't belong to the mainstream....but still makes me mad...!!

Those are two different versions of Hulk and Thor though between Ultimate and Hulk vs.
    DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By DevilInside4

Can anyone PM me all Thor's feats or maybe just few of them!!?? Any1??

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By majestic99

@Vance Astro:

What is the difference between standard Thor and Ultimate Thor?

eardrum73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By eardrum73

This is my first post but I have been viewing CV for long time now. After reading this entire thread from the start I feel that I have to wade in to give my 2 cents worth. LOL.

At first it was just an interesting thread. I didn't think at all that Marvel had anything against Thor. Mostly I thought that it was done to write a better tale, to make Thor less of a powerhouse so they could write interesting stories. ie like Daredevil, he's not the most powerful guy around but some of his stories are just really good. (eg. Bendis/Maleev run)

But after seeing Thor turned into a frog and getting beaten to a bloody pulp by his own hammer I'm starting to believe otherwise.

The frog thing is an animation, so not really comic cannon. But it's the overall perception that marvel portrays.

If you think about it, is there really a need to turn Thor in a frog and have him eat flies? Even Majonir has shrunk and the frog is wearing a silly Thor costume. Its downright rediculous! Not to mention humiliating for a Thunder God. Does it make for better drama? I don't think so, but It makes for better laughs sure. I do think it also discredit the marvel franchise a little. If that was say Wonder Woman who got turned into a frog wearing a mini WW costume and a mini lasoo I would feel sorry for WW fans.

Same thing with how Hulk grab Thor's arm and hit him numerous times with his own hammer till his face was swollen. I just can't see that happening to a Thunder God with thousands of years or combat experience. Do you think DC will ever allow say Deathstroke to grab Batman's fist and hit Bats with his own fist numerous times till he was a bloody pulp? I seriously doubt it.

I suspect this has all come about because of how Thor has been portrayed by the writers through the ages. The vibe I get from the writers is that Thor is a bit of meat head, a blonde brute who likes to rush into battle and dukes it out, even though he has other powers he could easily use. Sure it could be due to his Asgardian Warrior code one could argue, but than again if you look at Odin he doesn't always engaged in melee first, in fact I think he relies more on magic than HTH.

This is none more evident than all the Thor vs Hulk fights in Marvel comic history. From what I recall, he only ever used his lighting once to knock out the hulk. Once.

Than there is also his original reason for being on Earth is that he lacked humility (in other words a spoilt brat) and odin had to put him on Earth with Blake to learn humility etc. Even the Beta Ray Bill came about because Odin wanted to teach Thor a lesson.

With the two reasons mentioned above, it makes for goldilocks to be a bit of a punching bag that Marvel uses. After all his just a blonde, not to bright, (always engages in melee and usually being reprimanded by Odin) so really it doesn't matter so much if he's turned into a silly looking frog or if someone grabs his arm and hits Thor with his own hammer till he gets a bloodied nose (this is so funny that I am laughing while I typed this)

His intelligence is scaled at 2 out of 7 in the Handbook. Unfortunately all this feeds into the image of Thor and tends to make him more or less a fall guy for marvel writers. Just trying to put a reason behind why they do what they do.

Yes, Thor is no longer what Stan Lee intended him to be at birth during Journey in Mystery.

UberForeigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By UberForeigner

I've read a few Thor comics and I've taken a liking for him (Currently split between whether to love Thor or Wolverine) and I do agree that Thor lately has been made a joke out of. Another thing I don't seem to understand is how both Thor AND Odin cannot beat the holy crap out of Loki? He doesn't even look that strong yet he always lands them in the crap. Yes, they don't want to kill their family 'relative' but at least exile him in to a place where he can't get out, but yet he always seems to. In Thor's solo comics he does seem like an absolute God but when it comes to comics like the Avengers, he seems to be just an average character in comparison to the rest of the Avengers which is wrong!

I find that Marvel seem to make some characters look a bit small (e.g. Thor) and others seem bigger than they should be in my opinion. For example Iron man, I like him but I don't see him as one of the very strongest Avengers, Im sure Hulk or Thor could smash straight through him. I find it a bit strange seeing comics titled 'The "Invincible" Iron man' while Thor's comics are titled 'The "Mighty" Thor'. EH? God = Mighty, guy with a metal suit = Invincible.......okay then Marvel, whatever you say. (This is just an opinion by the way)

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Malevolent1

Well, one thing is for sure. After reading these comments and the comments of literally hundreds of other posters on this site and others like it over the last several years, it's clear I'm not the only one who thinks Thor is not portrayed as the powerhouse he was originally created to be

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#144  Edited By SC  Moderator

This is getting painful, has anyone actually watched Ultimate Avengers 2? Hulk is barely in it and Thor and Iron Man get the best feats in movie. Why do so many of the the arguments supposedly meant to support Thor coming off more as emotional rants? The only way to change things is to actually think about this intellectually. Best way to support Thor really. (and have been some lovely posts doing just so)  

Look at the current Avengers cartoon. Even if Stan Lee created Thor to be stronger than Hulk, he created the characters independent of each other. If you have a cartoon where Thor is stronger than the Hulk, and the Hulk's basic power is to be really strong, and then you consider Thor can fly, shoot lightening and lasers and absorb energy and teleport then its easy to see how he makes Hulk redundant. Comics is different and  more complicated, but there. Cartoon deconstructed, its not about writers undermining Thor, its about writers knowing good story telling and character balance. Another way to look at it is they have been keeping Thor out of the current series so they can allow the current team to struggle a bit with each episodes villain, but they keep Hulk there. Hulk and Thor are both toned down from comic versions to help keep team balance.   

DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By DevilInside4

@eardrum73 said:

This is my first post but I have been viewing CV for long time now. After reading this entire thread from the start I feel that I have to wade in to give my 2 cents worth. LOL.

At first it was just an interesting thread. I didn't think at all that Marvel had anything against Thor. Mostly I thought that it was done to write a better tale, to make Thor less of a powerhouse so they could write interesting stories. ie like Daredevil, he's not the most powerful guy around but some of his stories are just really good. (eg. Bendis/Maleev run)

But after seeing Thor turned into a frog and getting beaten to a bloody pulp by his own hammer I'm starting to believe otherwise.

The frog thing is an animation, so not really comic cannon. But it's the overall perception that marvel portrays.

If you think about it, is there really a need to turn Thor in a frog and have him eat flies? Even Majonir has shrunk and the frog is wearing a silly Thor costume. Its downright rediculous! Not to mention humiliating for a Thunder God. Does it make for better drama? I don't think so, but It makes for better laughs sure. I do think it also discredit the marvel franchise a little. If that was say Wonder Woman who got turned into a frog wearing a mini WW costume and a mini lasoo I would feel sorry for WW fans.

Same thing with how Hulk grab Thor's arm and hit him numerous times with his own hammer till his face was swollen. I just can't see that happening to a Thunder God with thousands of years or combat experience. Do you think DC will ever allow say Deathstroke to grab Batman's fist and hit Bats with his own fist numerous times till he was a bloody pulp? I seriously doubt it.

I suspect this has all come about because of how Thor has been portrayed by the writers through the ages. The vibe I get from the writers is that Thor is a bit of meat head, a blonde brute who likes to rush into battle and dukes it out, even though he has other powers he could easily use. Sure it could be due to his Asgardian Warrior code one could argue, but than again if you look at Odin he doesn't always engaged in melee first, in fact I think he relies more on magic than HTH.

This is none more evident than all the Thor vs Hulk fights in Marvel comic history. From what I recall, he only ever used his lighting once to knock out the hulk. Once.

Than there is also his original reason for being on Earth is that he lacked humility (in other words a spoilt brat) and odin had to put him on Earth with Blake to learn humility etc. Even the Beta Ray Bill came about because Odin wanted to teach Thor a lesson.

With the two reasons mentioned above, it makes for goldilocks to be a bit of a punching bag that Marvel uses. After all his just a blonde, not to bright, (always engages in melee and usually being reprimanded by Odin) so really it doesn't matter so much if he's turned into a silly looking frog or if someone grabs his arm and hits Thor with his own hammer till he gets a bloodied nose (this is so funny that I am laughing while I typed this)

His intelligence is scaled at 2 out of 7 in the Handbook. Unfortunately all this feeds into the image of Thor and tends to make him more or less a fall guy for marvel writers. Just trying to put a reason behind why they do what they do.

Yes, Thor is no longer what Stan Lee intended him to be at birth during Journey in Mystery.

this....agreed!!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @majestic99 said:

@Vance Astro:

What is the difference between standard Thor and Ultimate Thor?

One is weaker than the other.
    DevilInside4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By DevilInside4

@UberForeigner said:

I've read a few Thor comics and I've taken a liking for him (Currently split between whether to love Thor or Wolverine) and I do agree that Thor lately has been made a joke out of. Another thing I don't seem to understand is how both Thor AND Odin cannot beat the holy crap out of Loki? He doesn't even look that strong yet he always lands them in the crap. Yes, they don't want to kill their family 'relative' but at least exile him in to a place where he can't get out, but yet he always seems to. In Thor's solo comics he does seem like an absolute God but when it comes to comics like the Avengers, he seems to be just an average character in comparison to the rest of the Avengers which is wrong!

I find that Marvel seem to make some characters look a bit small (e.g. Thor) and others seem bigger than they should be in my opinion. For example Iron man, I like him but I don't see him as one of the very strongest Avengers, Im sure Hulk or Thor could smash straight through him. I find it a bit strange seeing comics titled 'The "Invincible" Iron man' while Thor's comics are titled 'The "Mighty" Thor'. EH? God = Mighty, guy with a metal suit = Invincible.......okay then Marvel, whatever you say. (This is just an opinion by the way)

Ri8 said dude!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @DevilInside4 said:

Ri8 said dude!

Do you even read what those people say before you agree with it?
    majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By majestic99

@Vance Astro said:

One is weaker than the other.

Is it possible to lift Ultimate Thor's hammer with brute strength?(if you're not worthy)

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @majestic99 said:

Is it possible to lift Ultimate Thor's hammer with brute strength?(if you're not worthy)

It shouldn't be because Ultimate Mjolnir does have the "worthy test".

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.