What does the current staff of Marvel have against Thor?

#1 Posted by TheCosmicMind (10 posts) - - Show Bio

After Odin-powered Thor got beat down by his own hammer by the Red Hulk, I was pretty mad.  As one reviewer said "J. Michael Straczynski has  spent a lot of time carefully reestablishing  Thor as a complex, powerful figure. This new comic book throws all of  Straczynski’ subtlety out the window and then kicks sand in his face for  good measure."  Then Thor got SOME measure of revenge by almost beating Rulk, until the Green Hulk stepped in and actually did beat him. 

Then we get the HORRIBLE "Hulk Vs" DVD where Hulk humiliates Thor in Asgard twice.  And then the new Avengers cartoon where Hulk is constantly showing up Thor. 

Then in Siege we see Thor taken down by the U-foes.  Uh...what?  Bascially, the guy who, under Stan Lee was Marvel's most powerful character is taken down by a group of b-list villains, including  Norman Osbourne, as they stood over him and made fun of him.  ("Woof").   Even they seemed surprised by how easy it was to beat him.  Okay, Thor gets rescued and then fights back, and eventually gets to  kill the Sentry/Void, of course they couldn't even let this happen in a  straight fight, the Void had to ask Thor to kill him! 

And now we have the final straw, Thor is beaten down once again by his own hammer by the Hulk in the horribly written and horribly drawn "Let the Battle Begin".  My question is, what does Marvel have against Thor?    Thor is really the reason I got into Marvel comics  in the first place, and now its just one humiliation after another.  He  hasn't really beaten anyone lately, or done anything impressive at all.  When he does beat down someone, there is some kind of built in excuse.  I think I'm done with Marvel for a while, until they decide to start treating the character with a little dignity.  Its time to start reading DC. 

#2 Edited by Godslayer1090 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I have had similar thoughts. For a hero as powerful as Thor, he hasn't done anything too impressive and has been getting his ass kicked. My thoughts are that everyone at Marvel is focused on Hulk and Sentry. Hulk is cool and to a degree I understand why everyone wants more Hulk, and as far as Sentry goes...FUCK SENTRY!!! I'm glad Thor was the one who killed him, but I'm not glad that he killed him while being a little bitch. Thor should have tapped into the Odinforce/Rune magics and obliterated him that way. Maybe after Sentry got him super pissed by killing someone he cared for. I would have even settled for a near death final blow. 

Marvel, if you are reading this, THOR NEEDS TO KICK SOME SERIOUS ASS!!! Not some random cosmic being that no one's ever heard of, I mean like Hulk needs to get knocked down a peg, Galactus is not out of Thor ability to fight (he's done it before!), or something. come on guys, show the god of thunder some respect.

#3 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio
@Godslayer1090 said:
"I have had similar thoughts. For a hero as powerful as Thor, he hasn't done anything too impressive and has been getting his ass kicked. My thoughts are that everyone at Marvel is focused on Hulk and Sentry. Hulk is cool and to a degree I understand why everyone wants more Hulk, and as far as Sentry goes...FUCK SENTRY!!! I'm glad Thor was the one who killed him, but I'm not glad that he killed him while being a little bitch. Thor should have tapped into the Odinforce/Rune magics and obliterated him that way. Maybe after Sentry got him super pissed by killing someone he cared for. I would have even settled for a near death final blow.    Marvel, if you are reading this, THOR NEEDS TO KICK SOME SERIOUS ASS!!! Not some random cosmic being that no one's ever heard of, I mean like Hulk needs to get knocked down a peg, Galactus is not out of Thor ability to fight (he's done it before!), or something. come on guys, show the god of thunder some respect."

This.
#4 Posted by blur99 (373 posts) - - Show Bio

When I heard of the Hulk VS movie I really wanted to see it.  Then I saw some of it and was really disappointed. 
Bad movie. 
Thor, Wolvie, and the Hulk deserve better.

#5 Posted by bgibs13390 (912 posts) - - Show Bio

For real they are pissing me off. What happened to the bad-ass Thor who wouldn't back down from anyone? I was sooooo pissed with the Rulk fight and I was pissed about Siege too. They need to bring Thor up a level. 

#6 Posted by War Killer (20375 posts) - - Show Bio
@blur99 said:
" When I heard of the Hulk VS movie I really wanted to see it.  Then I saw some of it and was really disappointed. Bad movie. Thor, Wolvie, and the Hulk deserve better. "
I personally liked the Hulk VS Wolverine movie, great story and characters....but Thor, honestly it was just Thor smacks Hulk, then Hulk smacks Thor back for like an hour, which get's boring after a while....
#7 Posted by crackerjack82 (2607 posts) - - Show Bio

Its reason like this i want to choke the people at marvel

#8 Posted by TheCosmicMind (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Then  we have Ultimate Thor first getting an epic beat down from Hyperion, and then getting his a** handed to him by Magneto.  At least he got some measure of revenge by beating Hyperion (of course that Hyperion was at half power....which goes back to my OP where I said anytime Thor beats someone, there's some "excuse" for why he won).  Every incarnation of Thor is being treated like a rag doll by Marvel (616 Thor, Ultimate Thor, Thor on DVDs, Thor in the cartoons).  Then Thor actually does get killed by the Sentry in the new Siege: What If.  

Too bad they can't just let JMS write all the comics involving Thor:

http://www.kahramanlarsinemada.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/thor.jpg 

#9 Posted by novakidx (107 posts) - - Show Bio

ok well as a non-thor reader..he seems overpowered to me
and reading this makes me sick,thor can beat hulk and he is a god! jeez
marvel must have forgotten how strong he was supposed to be,i remember reading a quote saying stan lee wanted "someone stronger than hulk but also knowledgeable in a god-like sense" so..hulk can still knock him around?

#10 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCosmicMind:
In total agreemeant dude!! Thor is meant to be Marvel's Superman in terms of power but HE CONSTANTLY LOSES!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT CLASSIC THOR BACK!!!!!!!!!!!
#11 Edited by jayskee (1908 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr. Dead Pool:
and he is in the ''big three'' too

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool:
@bgibs13390:
@Godslayer1090:
@TheCosmicMind:

Yes to everything everyone said here.   

Thor is no longer depicted properly and it needs to stop.  Thor was created to be Marvel's overall most powerful superhero and that's what he should be. Not Sentry.  Not Silver Surfer.  Not Phoenix.  Not X-Man.  Not Black Bolt.  Not anyone.  That said, I'm okay with the Hulk, Hercules, Hyperion and Gilgamesh being on par with Thor in sheer physical strength. 
#13 Edited by blur99 (373 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is my favorite character. 
I am not sure if he was made to be the only one at the apex of the superhero power pyramid.  However he is in the the top group. 
Silver Surfer I think is there as well. 
My knowledge of Thor is from about issue 410 upwards.  I have a few issues older than that though.  I also have read about some of the earlier storylines.    
That said I have to say the babes around him are surely top class :O

#14 Posted by bgibs13390 (912 posts) - - Show Bio

With is feats of classic Thor he should be easily beating Rulk and Hulk. I liked his new series and I thought the fight with Iron Man was great. However, in other series and crossovers he is not at all treated like he should. Like you said overtime he wins there is some excuse for it. Lets bring back the Thor who makes Galactus run and who lifts the World Serpent.   

#15 Posted by TheCosmicMind (10 posts) - - Show Bio
@bgibs13390 said:
" With is feats of classic Thor he should be easily beating Rulk and Hulk. I liked his new series and I thought the fight with Iron Man was great. However, in other series and crossovers he is not at all treated like he should. Like you said overtime he wins there is some excuse for it. Lets bring back the Thor who makes Galactus run and who lifts the World Serpent.    "
Yes, the excuses part is what's really bugging me.  He beats Sentry, but Sentry said he wanted to die. He beats Rulk in the re-match, but its due to a sucker punch, and he didn't even get to finish him, the Hulk did.  Its like, Marvel doesn't want to embarrass any other hero by having them lose straight out to Thor, but its okay to drag Thor through the mud.  Even when he beat Glory, he had to "pray" and get help from the "god of gods". 
#16 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

The current Marvel staff hate all of their characters, and the readers as well.

#17 Edited by warlord1234 (1269 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

"@Mr. Dead Pool: @bgibs13390: @Godslayer1090: @TheCosmicMind: Yes to everything everyone said here.    Thor is no longer depicted properly and it needs to stop.  Thor was created to be Marvel's overall most powerful superhero and that's what he should be. Not Sentry.  Not Silver Surfer.  Not Phoenix.  Not X-Man.  Not Black Bolt.  Not anyone.  That said, I'm okay with the Hulk, Hercules, Hyperion and Gilgamesh being on par with Thor in sheer physical strength.  "

True. He was intendted to be more Stronger then the Hulk and more smarter then Reed richards in a goldy /magical knowledge and warfare.
#18 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, now that I think about it, Thor has taken the lion's share of beatings lately.  Then again if Thor was depicted as accurately as he is supposed to be, then people would start complaining about how he's overpowered and impossible to beat.  Id like it if Thor won his fights most of the time, but loses to people that rival him in physical strength like the Hulk or Hercules.

#19 Posted by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing really, they seem to treat Thor pretty well.  

Namor is older than Thor, was the first superhero to fly IIRC, and one of, if not Marvel's first powerhouse. His recently launched ongoing is probably going to be cancelled soon, when Thor wakes up in the X-Men, then you know you have concern okay? lol Thor fans have a Thor related comic to look forward to every week, for the last two months and the next two months. 

Didn't Thor just fight Glory? Wasn't he able to one shot Ego with a godblast as well, or say he could? Stranger appeared too, and more Elders, hopefully Thor gets to fight them. You win some, you lose some. You want Thor to be the undisputed Marvel heavyweight, you get as many people who agree with you as you can. You wait and see how Astonishing Thor comic is, if Thor is beastly (or maybe more appropriately godly) in it, you and you new mates, go and buy as many issues of that, and Thor Chaos War as you are willing to, to make a point, you take a photo of you and your stack of duplicate comics and write a hand written letter to Marvel with your picture attached, you get others to do the same.  Your letter should tell them and include Stan Lee's quote on Thor proclaiming him as the most powerful. Feel free to give the issues where Thor does something stupidly awesome and powerful as well, showing that while good writing should be king, there are and needs to be more issues where Thor is scaring away Galactus, and beating guys like Durok, Mangog, teams, Drax and Surfer.

Writers who write Thor powerful, will get more Thor comics to make, Marvel will be sent a clear image that there is money to be made from people who are fans of Thor being treated at this level. I buy my favorite Thor comics multiple times by the way. Give them as presents to friends. (I hit the jackpot with Astonishing, cause the art is new reader friendly) Haven't got to the letter writing state yet. Since I think he's doing pretty good. I am more concerned about writing levels than power levels right now to be honest.. 

#20 Posted by tensor (4938 posts) - - Show Bio

stop hating current thor made a impressive feat in chaos war thor so there u go maybe if u were up to date on your favorite character u would have seen thor better an he beat red hulk quite easy when they had the re match

#21 Edited by blur99 (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:

" Nothing really, they seem to treat Thor pretty well.   Namor is older than Thor, was the first superhero to fly IIRC, and one of, if not Marvel's first powerhouse. His recently launched ongoing is probably going to be cancelled soon, when Thor wakes up in the X-Men, then you know you have concern okay? lol Thor fans have a Thor related comic to look forward to every week, for the last two months and the next two months.  Didn't Thor just fight Glory? Wasn't he able to one shot Ego with a godblast as well, or say he could? Stranger appeared too, and more Elders, hopefully Thor gets to fight them. You win some, you lose some. You want Thor to be the undisputed Marvel heavyweight, you get as many people who agree with you as you can. You wait and see how Astonishing Thor comic is, if Thor is beastly (or maybe more appropriately godly) in it, you and you new mates, go and buy as many issues of that, and Thor Chaos War as you are willing to, to make a point, you take a photo of you and your stack of duplicate comics and write a hand written letter to Marvel with your picture attached, you get others to do the same.  Your letter should tell them and include Stan Lee's quote on Thor proclaiming him as the most powerful. Feel free to give the issues where Thor does something stupidly awesome and powerful as well, showing that while good writing should be king, there are and needs to be more issues where Thor is scaring away Galactus, and beating guys like Durok, Mangog, teams, Drax and Surfer. Writers who write Thor powerful, will get more Thor comics to make, Marvel will be sent a clear image that there is money to be made from people who are fans of Thor being treated at this level. I buy my favorite Thor comics multiple times by the way. Give them as presents to friends. (I hit the jackpot with Astonishing, cause the art is new reader friendly) Haven't got to the letter writing state yet. Since I think he's doing pretty good. I am more concerned about writing levels than power levels right now to be honest..  "

I just want characters to be written consistently.  
What they do or say shouldn't have readers saying, "what?" or "how".   
I have followed Thor comics for a while.  And Asgardians shouldn't be able to "scare" away Galactus.      

Edit: 
I'll add that consistent writing is not easy with the many different writers/editors doing a title.
#22 Posted by termiteone4ever (7882 posts) - - Show Bio
@tensor said:
" stop hating current thor made a impressive feat in chaos war thor so there u go maybe if u were up to date on your favorite character u would have seen thor better an he beat red hulk quite easy when they had the re match "
This is correct .  
Plus other heroes have gotten more powerful even the surfer yet Thor can still give him more than a challenge
#23 Posted by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio
@blur99 said:
" @SC said:

" Nothing really, they seem to treat Thor pretty well.   Namor is older than Thor, was the first superhero to fly IIRC, and one of, if not Marvel's first powerhouse. His recently launched ongoing is probably going to be cancelled soon, when Thor wakes up in the X-Men, then you know you have concern okay? lol Thor fans have a Thor related comic to look forward to every week, for the last two months and the next two months.  Didn't Thor just fight Glory? Wasn't he able to one shot Ego with a godblast as well, or say he could? Stranger appeared too, and more Elders, hopefully Thor gets to fight them. You win some, you lose some. You want Thor to be the undisputed Marvel heavyweight, you get as many people who agree with you as you can. You wait and see how Astonishing Thor comic is, if Thor is beastly (or maybe more appropriately godly) in it, you and you new mates, go and buy as many issues of that, and Thor Chaos War as you are willing to, to make a point, you take a photo of you and your stack of duplicate comics and write a hand written letter to Marvel with your picture attached, you get others to do the same.  Your letter should tell them and include Stan Lee's quote on Thor proclaiming him as the most powerful. Feel free to give the issues where Thor does something stupidly awesome and powerful as well, showing that while good writing should be king, there are and needs to be more issues where Thor is scaring away Galactus, and beating guys like Durok, Mangog, teams, Drax and Surfer. Writers who write Thor powerful, will get more Thor comics to make, Marvel will be sent a clear image that there is money to be made from people who are fans of Thor being treated at this level. I buy my favorite Thor comics multiple times by the way. Give them as presents to friends. (I hit the jackpot with Astonishing, cause the art is new reader friendly) Haven't got to the letter writing state yet. Since I think he's doing pretty good. I am more concerned about writing levels than power levels right now to be honest..  "

I just want characters to be written consistently.  What they do or say shouldn't have readers saying, "what?" or "how".   I have followed Thor comics for a while.  And Asgardians shouldn't be able to "scare" away Galactus.       Edit: I'll add that consistent writing is not easy with the many different writers/editors doing a title. "

I think all fans on the level we are (discussing it at CV) want that ideally, but even comics back when Stan Lee was writing weren't consistent, and they had way less titles, with way less writers, artists involved lol 

Some readers these days, are actually fans of more open ended (ie vague or ambiguous types of story telling. If a writer wrote a decent and consistent comic where Thor and Asgardians scared Galactus from Earth, I wouldn't complain myself. Ideally for me, this would be after 5 years of Galactus friendly stories, but hey.  

Consistent writing isn't even really that easy when you don't have decades of continuity to bear in mind, one writer who is the artist and a new character. Let alone with those things, and people these days, vote that many continuity unfriendly writers are the top anyhow. (vote with their money, - Bendis, Morrison, Ellis, Fraction), and many more writers who value the story more than the role of continuity as far as priorities since its just another tool at their disposal rather than fundamental to the story. Hey, the writers I like and support are a bit lower on the food chain. Its on my fellow comic book readers, not Marvel. 
#24 Posted by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor will have his day again, trust me.  He's due to do something awesome in a major Marvel story arc.

#25 Posted by brantumbo (139 posts) - - Show Bio

it is all in perspective. i am a fanboy, so i try to look at the positive side of these things. he didnt "one-shot ego", he only stated that he would be basically getting his attention. i am really enjoying the "for asgard" series. and some of the other throwback stories they have had recently. i know that they are only releasing these so that when the movie come out they can have a stack of graphic novels at barnes&nobles like they did with wolverine and ironman, and that after the movie they will stop making so many, but i just enjoy them while they are here. he was shown to be an absolute beast in avengers prime. he not only gathered an army, but he led that army even though 2 other natural leaders were there with him. he did drop asgard and then picked it back up(with the help of beta ray) in the secret invasion. at the end of secret invasion, orborn did state that the only reason that all wasnt lost was because "thor happened". the rulk stuff was dumb. the sentry thing, well...at least they removed the loki induced norn power before he killed him. bendis is giving him a little bit of respect in the avengers. when he blasted kang across a few city blocks, i like how hawkeye said "that is what it is like to be on the avengers with thor". and when the time stream was all messed up in NYC, he handled those...things... by himself and spidey said "should we help thor?" and hawkeye said "i think thor has this". as far as the "hulk vs" movie, i look at it like this: thor was thrown around by "rage incarnate" version of hulk, which is not the normal hulk. normal hulk has banner checking him, like when loki was checking him. thor blasted him so hard that he broke that connection. then pure rage pounded him. but thor definitely took it like a champ. hulk beat him thru a mountain. nobody else would be able to take that much punishment. but that was pure rage. and in the WWH movie, when bill and hulk were fighting on same terms(no holds barred controlled by that disk or whatever) bill was basically wasting him. when hulk hit that disk it stunned bill and he wasnt fighting to kill hulk anymore. that is just how i manage to deal with the things that i agree are going on. maybe that just makes me seeing things through rose colored glasses, but i do agree with the overall disrespect.
#26 Posted by Foolkiller (168 posts) - - Show Bio

thor once broke a celestial's armor, beat his defenses, and grabbed his brain (it's been awhile i'm not sure if it was his brain or a different vital part made of celestial energy)? now he's getting beat by Rulk? i don't care if he beat him in the rematch, he should have destroyed him in the first fight. marvel writers need to give him his due credit.

#27 Posted by emptytomb (398 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCosmicMind:
its Joe Quesadas doing. Its either his decisions that he makes or what he lets writers write.
#28 Posted by TheCosmicMind (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I am almost expecting to see the Hulk show up in the new Thor movie and save Thor from the Asgardian Destroyer.

#29 Posted by vidarrodinson (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading comics for a long time. There is biased against Thor .  The Hulk would not have been trashed by the U- foes and the Iron Patriot.  Thor  is treated  like Marvel's Step Child.  Hercules is not far behind.  Both of them have been Gamma Butt whipping boys.  Even Skyfather powers availeth noth.The Hulk is still earth bound.  He can"t be out in space like Thor.  Thor has the most writer creation potential.  They are wasting a good resource.  Please, no more Beta Rays, Darkos,Thunderstrikes,Red Norvells, or Thor Girls.  Break all the hammer molds.  Just be on point with your  J- O -B .  There are a lot of people pissed.

#30 Posted by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio
@vidarrodinson said:
" I've been reading comics for a long time. There is biased against Thor .  The Hulk would not have been trashed by the U- foes and the Iron Patriot. "

Uh, not to disagree with your general premise, but a weaker lone member of U-Foes, flayed all of Hulks skin and flesh of by himself! Without the luxury of Sentry having slowed him down, or his friends or Moonstone and Iron Patriot and one member of Forces of Nature and Moonstone, oh and Thor villian Quicksand. Hulk has also been trashed by Iron Man by himself, and even Dr Octopus once. 
#31 Posted by Godslayer1090 (21 posts) - - Show Bio
@vidarrodinson said:
" I've been reading comics for a long time. There is biased against Thor .  The Hulk would not have been trashed by the U- foes and the Iron Patriot.  Thor  is treated  like Marvel's Step Child.  Hercules is not far behind.  Both of them have been Gamma Butt whipping boys.  Even Skyfather powers availeth noth.The Hulk is still earth bound.  He can"t be out in space like Thor.  Thor has the most writer creation potential.  They are wasting a good resource.  Please, no more Beta Rays, Darkos,Thunderstrikes,Red Norvells, or Thor Girls.  Break all the hammer molds.  Just be on point with your  J- O -B .  There are a lot of people pissed. "
Like I said, Hulk has been the main Marvel character for the past couple years.

"Want something epic and awesome? Make a Hulk comic where he goes to war with all the super heroes and becomes so pissed his step start to shatter the world. Want more? Make a new, somewhat more badass hulk who's Red, uses guns, cut cut the heads off sons-of-bitches? I have it: Red Hulk! Now lets test this hulk's strength. Who's the main Hulk whipping boy who's powerful, but must lose in a fight because he's fighting the fucking hulk? THOR! Why? Hulk is invincible, awesome, badass, no one can beat him, and fuck Thor!!! Oh, and lets bring back a character most people have never heard of (Sentry) and have him kick Thor ass! " - Marvel Staff. 

That seems to be the idea for what been happening. Now, I don't want Thor to be depicted as overly powerful, but god damn, Hulk has been head and shoulders above Thor as far as being depicted too powerful for a long time now. I didn't like when in that latest fight between Red Hulk and Thor when Bruce was all like "You guys better stop fighting or I'll turn into Hulk and kick both your asses!" In a just world, Thor would have been like "Yeah whatever pal" but it was like Thor was scared and obeyed because of that.

Thor NEEDS to fight and win against Worldbreaker in a decisive fight. No outside intervention like "Thor get's possessed and granted greater powers" or what not. Just straight up Thor vs. Hulk. And such a fight wouldn't have to be one sided either (because it wouldn't be anyway). Just make it so that it's a long ass fight where the upper-hand get's shifted between the two, and end with Thor tired, beaten, and kinda bloody and Hulk the same with Thor victorious and Worldbreaker saying something like "Been a long time since THAT'S happened." Thor says "Aye, a long time indeed. Much has changed since then." then, for shits and giggles, Thor buys Hulk a beer at the nearest bar.

Who else agrees?
#32 Posted by TheCosmicMind (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk hits harder than Thor: Confirmed!!!
….In the Back-up story of Incredible Hulk # 620.Confirmed by Korg.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9582/incrediblehulks620027.jpg
 http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4463/incrediblehulks620028.jpg   
Again, if you don't think Marvel hates Thor, I don't know what you're reading.   Why would they throw this in there, except as a slight to Thor?
#33 Posted by Jake Fury (19167 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor may be tired from all the comics he's currently in. At this point I could probably beat him on one of my good days.
#34 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34353 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought Hulk was the strongest there is in marvel. this is just my opinion but I think they are writing thor weaker than he used to be because of the Avengers, I mean if he was this uber powerful character that could beat everyone then there would be no need for the avengers at all. I also don't think he will be nowhere near as powerful in the Thor movie that's coming out. The reason the Hulk can get away with being that powerful is that he's not really a hero.

#35 Posted by Susanoo (5909 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCosmicMind said:
"

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9582/incrediblehulks620027.jpg  http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4463/incrediblehulks620028.jpg   Again, if you don't think Marvel hates Thor, I don't know what you're reading.   Why would they throw this in there, except as a slight to Thor? "

Hulk does NOT hit harder than Thor. Thor carried the midgard serpent, warped reality with the world engine, put earth out of orbit by arm wrestling Hercules, create dimensional rifts ect.
#36 Posted by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCosmicMind said:
"

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9582/incrediblehulks620027.jpg  http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4463/incrediblehulks620028.jpg   Again, if you don't think Marvel hates Thor, I don't know what you're reading.   Why would they throw this in there, except as a slight to Thor? "

Not they, we know who that writer is, its Greg Pak right? So in this particular case, its not "Marvel" and there is other writing thats more favorable that "Marvel" allow to be printed. 

Secondly, this is character narration. Characters are flawed, if Korg said that killing cats would ensue world peace, would he be right? Kor isn't a telepath, he doesn't know if Hulk or Thor actually hits harder, he just knows from his own personal experience that Hulk happens to have hit him harder out of the times that Thor and Hulk have hit him. You know who else has been known to hit harder than Thor, according to panels and character statements? Thor. If you think Marvel hates Thor because of this instance, I don't think your reading comics with an open mind. Since there are a number of reasons it could be included. 
#37 Posted by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
" I always thought Hulk was the strongest there is in marvel. this is just my opinion but I think they are writing thor weaker than he used to be because of the Avengers, I mean if he was this uber powerful character that could beat everyone then there would be no need for the avengers at all. I also don't think he will be nowhere near as powerful in the Thor movie that's coming out. The reason the Hulk can get away with being that powerful is that he's not really a hero. "

That would certainly play a part of things, some of the time, and it has in a lot of issues, but there are ways around this, to maintain team balance but still have a heavy hitter. Thor has already shown this with his mini encounters with Kang, and Galactus, plus he traditionally held back quite a lot, with most of the minor Avengers foes, since its not his place to cause lethal injury on others, especially mortals, even if bad guys. Then not every Avengers threat is of a physical nature, or of a single vantage.  

Thats a good point for Hulk as well, it helps having Greg Pak as his writer for the last couple of years.
#38 Edited by TheCosmicMind (10 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:

" @TheCosmicMind said:

"

Not they, we know who that writer is, its Greg Pak right? So in this particular case, its not "Marvel" and there is other writing thats more favorable that "Marvel" allow to be printed.  Secondly, this is character narration. Characters are flawed, if Korg said that killing cats would ensue world peace, would he be right? Kor isn't a telepath, he doesn't know if Hulk or Thor actually hits harder, he just knows from his own personal experience that Hulk happens to have hit him harder out of the times that Thor and Hulk have hit him. You know who else has been known to hit harder than Thor, according to panels and character statements? Thor. If you think Marvel hates Thor because of this instance, I don't think your reading comics with an open mind. Since there are a number of reasons it could be included.  "
Yeah, I was being sarcastic with my post.  By the timeGreg Pak, Loeb, and Bendis are done with Thor, he's going to be a street level hero. 
#39 Posted by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCosmicMind:  I think the only one we need to "worry" about is Pak. Bendis isn't the most pro Thor writer around exactly, but he'll give Thor some nice moments too.  

There was a Spider-man comic a few weeks back, had a nice panel of Spider-man implying Thor was the baddest guy around. So not all writers out there have it in for Thor, not even all Hulk writers, I think PAD said something once about Thor that was favorable as well.  

Anyway, here's hoping for good times in the future for Thor. ^_^
#40 Posted by TheCosmicMind (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Loeb also has it in for Thor as well. Besides the Red Hulk, there was also his writing in Ultimates, where he basically has made Thor into the punching bag of the ultimate universe. And I think it does go beyond those 3 as well. Case in point being Snider's "Hulk: Let the Battle Begin". Did we really need ANOTHER comic where Thor gets beat up by his own hammer by a Hulk?

#41 Edited by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ry Fryy said:

"Thor will have his day again, trust me.  He's due to do something awesome in a major Marvel story arc. "

Bendis did huge damage to the Thor franchise,

I hope his Universe can be retconed as a really bad dream

If Marvel didn't go movie and didn't have  a reallyThor ready for the threatres I think the franchise would be dead alongside Elektra, Aquaman, JonahHex, Hyperion

#42 Posted by Zaiyan (461 posts) - - Show Bio
@blur99 said:
" When I heard of the Hulk VS movie I really wanted to see it.  Then I saw some of it and was really disappointed. Bad movie. Thor, Wolvie, and the Hulk deserve better. "
I think its a combo of 2 things, Marvel see Hulk and Wolvierine as cashcows so a lot of people job to them like people job to Batman. The second reason maybe cos Marvel never really likes over powered heroes, they wanted to depower Thor like Superman was depowered after the DC Crisis. Only JMS wants to return Thor to classic power but he no longer writes for Marvel comics.
#43 Posted by GhostRider29 (2673 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCosmicMind:
Avoid reading the Ultimate comics. lol
#44 Posted by karrob (4283 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:
" @Mr. Dead Pool: @bgibs13390: @Godslayer1090: @TheCosmicMind: Yes to everything everyone said here.    Thor is no longer depicted properly and it needs to stop.  Thor was created to be Marvel's overall most powerful superhero and that's what he should be. Not Sentry.  Not Silver Surfer.  Not Phoenix.  Not X-Man.  Not Black Bolt.  Not anyone.  That said, I'm okay with the Hulk, Hercules, Hyperion and Gilgamesh being on par with Thor in sheer physical strength.  "
#45 Posted by Susanoo (5909 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is too powerful to be written at max (Fighting skyfathers). So he needs to be written weaker or he'll wreck the plot.
#46 Posted by AngeTheDude (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor's comic is being ruined one Fraction at a time...

#47 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

Because writers don't respect Thor anymore, they treat him as a punching bag instead of an actual GOD.

m99

#48 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99 said:

Because writers don't respect Thor anymore, they treat him as a punching bag instead of an actual GOD.

m99

#49 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@AngeTheDude said:

Thor's comic is being ruined one Fraction at a time...
#50 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanroygrant said:

@majestic99 said:

m99

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This. So true. Heck, Grievioux might be the only Marvel writer left that respects the Thunder God.

Wait that's it. Grievoux does UNDERSTAND the Thunder God and what Stan was trying to do. Why don't we start a petition to get Grievioux to write Thor instead of Fraction. I don't think Fraction would be hurt; I don't think he cares for Thor.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.