What does it take to lift Mjolnir?

#1 Posted by Pope052 (3102 posts) - - Show Bio

We all know Mjolnir, and what it is capable of. However, what does it require to be able to lift and use Mjolnir like Thor can?

This question has always boggled my mind and I have never got a clear answer to it, but from my knowledge two of the aspects include:

• Honor.
  • Warrior's Spirit.

But that's all that I have grasped, i'm sure there is a lot more required in order to lift the hammer. So, what does it take?

#2 Posted by krspaceT (1473 posts) - - Show Bio

You need to embody what it means to be a Nordic warrior as well. That's why in the JLA/Avengers X-Over Superman could only lift the hammer when the enchantment was weakened, because he won't kill he isn't 'worthy'. Wonder Woman, on the other hand, can freely lift it.

#3 Posted by HaveAtThee (523 posts) - - Show Bio

A warrior's spirit filled with honor, courage and, above all, humility.

#4 Posted by Thurdazz1313 (49 posts) - - Show Bio

In The Older comics & revisited over the Years . Basically reads Only The pure of heart, noble of Deed, Virtuous & Honorable Being Possessing a "True Warriors Spirit" may Posses The Power of Thor & Wield Mjolnir. As mentioned This is a Viking/Asgardian definition of True Warrior(Fearless in battle, willing to Kill/destroy an enemy or threat , Defend & Avenge the weak ) Also over the years it seems self sacrifice is also part of this like in The case of Eric Masterson . & of course Humility

#5 Posted by Pokeysteve (8253 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always wondered this too. I think it's tailored to Thor's EXACT personality so only he can lift it. Hasn't Cap lifted it too? My point is way more people should be able to vs the number that actually have. Then again I guess people don't really go up to him and just grab his hammer.

#6 Edited by MaccyD (3966 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by thorthorthorthor (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Judging from marvels Thor book. You have to become extremely slow and have a reaction time of a snail.

#8 Edited by Pyrogram (36554 posts) - - Show Bio

I made a blog about it once. Was quite interesting. Revolved around...

• Willingness to kill for pragmatic reasons.
  • A sense of Nobility or superiority.
  • Honor and valor - Goodwill.
  • A warriors lifestyle.
  • A few other things which I forgot...
#9 Edited by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

Loeb-force

#10 Posted by Wolverine08 (41123 posts) - - Show Bio

Warrior's lifestyle.

Willingness to kill

Strong moral center.

Honorable.

#11 Edited by HaveAtThee (523 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

A Hand

Worthiness

If not that ^^ then space

#13 Posted by THORSON (2359 posts) - - Show Bio

being worthy in the eyes of odin.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.