Well...That answers that...

#1 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (990 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering why they downplayed the relationship between Thor and Sif they way they did in the movie.

Well after picking up Thor the Game for my kid, it seems they did not consider SIF to be a major character in the first place
as they killed her in the game!!

I say this without a spoiler, because frankly the game stinks and if 500 copies re sold I'd be surprised
#2 Posted by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think anyone will be too upset about spoilers from the game.  And yes, I was quite shocked when that happened as well.

#3 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

To make the character more interesting -- and lady friendly, most likely. 

#4 Posted by Mercy_ (92629 posts) - - Show Bio

WAIT. Is the game canon to the movie? O_o

Moderator
#5 Edited by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

WAIT. Is the game canon to the movie? O_o

They're "supposed to be" but they never have anything to do with the movies, they just appear to be in the same universe as the films.
 
The reason they downplayed her in the movie was to give Thor a reason to return to Midgard for the Avengers, Jane Foster it literally just for Thor to drool over, nothing more. Personally I'd rather have Sif be his love interest (both in the movies and comics).
#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12568 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
WAIT. Is the game canon to the movie? O_o

 
yes and she was ressurected by Odin in the game 
 
 
#7 Posted by Mercy_ (92629 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer: @Avenging-X-Bolt: Hmm. Thanks.  
 
I always felt like there was a good amount of subtext between Thor and Sif in the movie. I seriously preferred her over Jane. 
Moderator
#8 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
@War Killer: @Avenging-X-Bolt: Hmm. Thanks.   I always felt like there was a good amount of subtext between Thor and Sif in the movie. I seriously preferred her over Jane. 
Agreed, plus even in her small parts she was cooler than Jane who was in almost all of the movie.
#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
@The Dark Huntress said:
@War Killer: @Avenging-X-Bolt: Hmm. Thanks.   I always felt like there was a good amount of subtext between Thor and Sif in the movie. I seriously preferred her over Jane. 
Agreed, plus even in her small parts she was cooler than Jane who was in almost all of the movie.
Jane didn't really exist as a character though. It was just Natalie Portman looking hot and talking about Astrophysics. She didn't exactly have a personality. 
 
I'd still have done Kat Dennings before Jane or Sif though. Just saying ;P
#10 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@War Killer said:
@The Dark Huntress said:
@War Killer: @Avenging-X-Bolt: Hmm. Thanks.   I always felt like there was a good amount of subtext between Thor and Sif in the movie. I seriously preferred her over Jane. 
Agreed, plus even in her small parts she was cooler than Jane who was in almost all of the movie.
Jane didn't really exist as a character though. It was just Natalie Portman looking hot and talking about Astrophysics. She didn't exactly have a personality.   I'd still have done Kat Dennings before Jane or Sif though. Just saying ;P
True, but even in the comics I've never really liked her. Same with her minor appearances in Avengers: EMH. Sif is just more interesting, especially in Thor: Tales of Asgard! :D
#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@War Killer said:
@The Dark Huntress said:
@War Killer: @Avenging-X-Bolt: Hmm. Thanks.   I always felt like there was a good amount of subtext between Thor and Sif in the movie. I seriously preferred her over Jane. 
Agreed, plus even in her small parts she was cooler than Jane who was in almost all of the movie.
Jane didn't really exist as a character though. It was just Natalie Portman looking hot and talking about Astrophysics. She didn't exactly have a personality.   I'd still have done Kat Dennings before Jane or Sif though. Just saying ;P
True, but even in the comics I've never really liked her. Same with her minor appearances in Avengers: EMH. Sif is just more interesting, especially in Thor: Tales of Asgard! :D
Sif is just a better character, tbh. Nothing against Jane, but Sif is just better.
#12 Posted by Walker696 (984 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't forget in the comics Thor fell for Jane when Odin sent him away to learn humility, he later pursued Sif when she pulled him out of a depression and saved his life. The movies is actually doing right as far as his relationship goes, Sif was always a close friend to Thor first and foremost and they later grew to be lovers. That's why he listens to her advice, instead of ignoring her like most other Asgard men do to Asgard women. 
 
As for her dying, that's just random and wrong. If they make a sequel which more then likely they will, I hope Sif gets to show why she is one of the baddest females in Asgard cause all she did was get slapped around with the Warriors Three, o well I'll keep my fingers crossed

#13 Posted by AtraCruor (237 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Amora for Thor over all and for a number of reasons.  My biggest though is from vol. 1.  Thor was banished from Asgard, sick, and literally on his death bed and no one goes looking for him.  He's dying in the worst death a warrior can, wasting away and trying to write memoirs and no one comes to find him.  Not the Warriors Three or Beta Ray Bill.  Not even Sif.  She just buys into Odin (the epic and unrivaled douch he is in the comics), saying he's dead and doesn't even come to find his body.  Only Amora comes and she saves his life.  Yes she's a snob, selfish, vain, etc, but she also unquestionably loves Thor.  Sif has done and acted enough in certain ways that you can question that point on her. 
#14 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by dorsk188 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Sif is a more interesting character in general, and I prefer Thor / Sif rather than Thor / Jane, but I have to admit that Natalie Portman's version of Jane was.... well... appealing.  It was refreshing to see a superhero love interest that was clearly attracted to the hero.  Rather than having to win her over, Thor walked into the room and Jane turned into a giggling... well, I can't think of any words that wouldn't sound derogatory, but suffice it to say it seemed to me like Natalie needed a wardrobe change after every on-screen conversation with Chris Hemsworth.  It was an interesting choice, and not necessarily a bad one, in my opinion. 
 
I'd like to see Jane Foster's character minimized in future movies, and Thor turn his attention to Sif (or better, a Sif / Amora love triangle), but overall I'm just interested to see how the relationships develop.  If the first movie is any indication, they can at least tell a decent story with interesting interactions.

#16 Posted by dorsk188 (235 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir: This game is pretty cool...  What's better is because of your avatar, I've got Col. Hunter Gathers screaming "Bring the Thunder, Samson" in my head while I play it, and nothing could be better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.