Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

was Malekith a good choice for a villian in Thor 2?

rondoudou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rondoudou

i am just wondering do you guys think that the dark elf king was a good choice for the villian in thor 2 because dont you feel that he is rather obscure compared to several other villians that could have been used like surtur, fenris wolf, hela,jorgunmdemr ? and as well does anyone know any major feats that the malekith has done in the comics so i could get a good idea of what thor is fighting against?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

You're missing the important thing about Malekith and the Dark Elves being in the movie

No Caption Provided

Kurse is in it

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Veshark

I would have gone with Enchantress and Executioner, personally. The duo would make for an interesting villain dynamic (one has the wits to match Thor and also serves as a romantic interest, while the other matches Thor physically), and they could be setup for a Masters of Evil team in Avengers 2. Plus, the whole Casket of Winters thing doesn't really interest me, since I've already had my fill of snow from the first Thor's Niffleheim.

All that being said, I can live with Malekith and Kurse. They're pretty cool villains. If you want to learn more about Malekith, I'd recommend the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode entitled 'The Casket of Ancient Winters'.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

@Veshark: It was Jotunheim in the first Thor movie

rondoudou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rondoudou

well it just seems a little strange thats all its like if professor pyg got chosen as a leading villian in a batman movie thats all, and as well why do the pictures of the dark elves look so weird in the snapshots from the set?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By z3ro180

Well you have to remember other than Loki most of the general public didn't know thor had any villeins so really ones just as obscure as the other

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JonSmith

I would have prioritized making Beta Ray Bill happen rather than focusing on the villain.

rondoudou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rondoudou

@Z3RO180: i guess ur right

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#9  Edited By TheCannon

I expected Enchantress & Executioner. While I love Enchantress, I really didn't want to see her. I was hoping for Surtur & Hela, but Surtur is better for a third film.

Overall, I think Malekith (and Kurse) was a good choice. They're god characters that are an actual threat.

I would like to see a brief appearance by the Wrecking Crew fighting Thor on Earth if it would fit into the plot though.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10  Edited By SC  Moderator

I think its set up this way for a few reasons. Villains need to head an army of sorts as well as appear as themselves. Loki is really popular and was already the bad guy, here he seems more neutral, which sets up a possible Thor and Loki, strength and mind/cunning clash against another strong powerful character in Kurse and another cunning manipulator in Malekith. I'd love to see Enchantress myself, but she plays off Loki a certain way - and probably if Loki was more antagonistic leaning we would have got her in sequel, hopefully we get her in 3. Surtur almost seems to big, so maybe he will be the big bad in 3? Anyway all depends and hopefully Thor 2 is better than 1.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By BlueLantern1995

Fom what I understand of The plot of Thor 2 is Malekith invades Asgard with the Dark Elves so is this a good villain choice? Yes.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Loki9876

Malekith isn't in so many stories so I hope Jason Aaron will write a big malekith story also Eckelson is playing the role, he should play a good villain.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MAZAHS117

I'm fine with Malekith being the villian. I was hoping maybe Ulik would have a spot too, but it seems unlikely. They def gotta go with Surtur in the 3rd film, with a whole Ragnarok theme!

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By evilvegeta74

Technically this question can't be asked , because the movie isn't out yet. There's no way to pass judgement on unknown results.

rondoudou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rondoudou

@evilvegeta74: yeah thats the thing malekith hasnt been in many stories so its hard to imagen the threat that he might pose

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By evilvegeta74

@rondoudou said:

@evilvegeta74: yeah thats the thing malekith hasnt been in many stories so its hard to imagen the threat that he might pose

yep

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By joshmightbe

@rondoudou: He's not in many stories because he's usually a huge threat

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Veshark

@joshmightbe said:

@Veshark: It was Jotunheim in the first Thor movie

Gah, right, my bad. Sorry, too many realms to keep track of.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By THORSON

he helps sets up Surtur.

so yes

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By selinaky

I think it's a decent choice, I'm sure they have good reason for choosing Malekith. It also hopefully opens up to possiblities of seeing other realms.

I would've loved to see Enchantress, but I think she may have been too similar to Loki as a villain in some aspects, and she's Asgardian, so perhaps it's best if that's left for later. Hela would be very interesting.

I'm just really hoping the movie will be good!

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Pyrogram

I personally like the choice, He is not a well known villain so that gives the director and writers the freedom to make him how they want. It means that the audience are not expecting anything first. So I think it will be good. I would have loved to see the Enchantress though. Surtur is too strong for a second movie, it would be a good plot to show how strong Odin is though.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joshmightbe

I don't like the notion of the character being treated like he's some how lessened because few people know about him. With the exception of Hulk and Cap most of the Avengers weren't exactly well known by non comic fans. I could count on one hand the amount of non comic readers who even knew who the hell Maria Hill was prior to the Avengers movie that doesn't mean she had no place in the movie.

starrk_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By starrk_coyote

okay this is jumping and biting up the shark, first lets watch the movie when it comes out then we will talk about it :)

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
    The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

I personally like the choice, He is not a well known villain so that gives the director and writers the freedom to make him how they want. It means that the audience are not expecting anything first. So I think it will be good. I would have loved to see the Enchantress though. Surtur is too strong for a second movie, it would be a good plot to show how strong Odin is though.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HaveAtThee

I think it's a fine choice. You get a psychologically twisted/cold and calculating character in Malekith who has powerful magic at his disposal. Then you add in Kurse for the chance to have an awesome one-on-one battle with he and Thor. The movie should be great. Had they gone with Enchantress and Executioner, I would've been pleased as well, but Amora has a longer history with Thor, and seeing as she was not in the first, it would've been a bit strange to introduce her in the sequel with flashbacks about their history. The first film and Avengers has established Thor and Jane, Sif and the Warriors Three. Now they're building on that universe.

Plus, it'll be great to see the Asgardians exploring the rest of the nine realms. That gives Marvel/Disney the chance to make some beautiful looking 3D settings.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By New_World_Order

@pyrogram said:

How about Ymir, or Mangog?

lanebad6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Surtur will be shown at the credits or maybe Ymir, but does Odin at this time already have the odinforce?

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanebad6 said:

I think Surtur will be shown at the credits or maybe Ymir, but does Odin at this time already have the odinforce?

He should seeing as he's the All-Father of Asgard.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.