Top Ten Thor rip offs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dadaism (227 posts) - - Show Bio

Was just curious to know if any one new

#2 Edited by _slim_ (13058 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't really think of any, unless you count Thunderstrike and Beta Ray Bill as rip offs.

#3 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor himself is a rip off

#4 Posted by Walker696 (984 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dhor: How is Thor a ripoff?

Beta Ray Bill

Thunderstrike (Eric Masterson)

Dargo Ktor

Thunderstrike(Eric's Son)

Ragnorok

Tanarus

Those are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

#5 Posted by D3athstroke (3909 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Thor I mean pretty blond daddy's boy with hummer which calls himself Thor

(Fear Itself Team)

Nul i mean bald Hulk with Hummer

Kuurth

Attuma

Greithoth

Angrir

Skirn

Skadi

------

Beta Ray Bill

Thunderstrikes

Ragnorok

Thor Girl

#6 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

i wrote this like 100 times. i consider him a rip off character because he' stolen from mythology. at least that`s my opinion

#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone who has a Hammer isn't a Thor Rip-off....There really aren't any Thor rip-offs. Beta Ray Bill,Thunderstrike,Ragnarok, and anyone else that used the name Thor..ISN'T a rip-off.

Moderator
#8 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah that's like saying Bucky is a rip off of Captain America.

#9 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrinceIMC said:
Yeah that's like saying Bucky is a rip off of Captain America.
Exactly.
Moderator
#10 Posted by danhimself (22306 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dhor said:

i wrote this like 100 times. i consider him a rip off character because he' stolen from mythology. at least that`s my opinion

inspired by and ripped off are two completely different things

Online
#11 Posted by The Impersonator (5081 posts) - - Show Bio

@_slim_ said:

I can't really think of any, unless you count Thunderstrike and Beta Ray Bill as rip offs.

They're not considered as rip-offs. They are in the same Marvel universe. Not from other comic book universes. :P

#12 Edited by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:

@Dhor said:

i wrote this like 100 times. i consider him a rip off character because he' stolen from mythology. at least that`s my opinion

inspired by and ripped off are two completely different things

@The Impersonator said:

@_slim_ said:

I can't really think of any, unless you count Thunderstrike and Beta Ray Bill as rip offs.

They're not considered as rip-offs. They are in the same Marvel universe. Not from other comic book universes. :P

Love how so many can easily come to this conclusion, yet in the other "Rip-offs" thread, SOME people had characters from the same universe and even same line of comics and even with the same creator listed as rip-offs.Ridiculous.
Moderator
#13 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

If the character itself is inspired by or somehow connected to the original they're not a rip off. Beta Ray Bill beat Thor in a fight and was given similar powers, not a rip-off. Tarene was impressed with Thor's heroic attitude so purposely patterned herself after him, not a rip off. Even Wiccan when he was calling himself Asgardian wasn't a rip-off character, he found out he had magical powers and met a few others who seemed to be inspired by the founding Avengers so he figured he could be the 'Thor' of the group.
 
To me 'rip-off' depends on the intention of the person who creates them, writer or artist who wants to capitalize on the popularity of a character but says they aren't connected to that character. I'd say Mockingbird started out as a rip-off of Black Canary. DC had Green Arrow and Marvel had Hawkeye (not saying they're rip offs of each other) but Green Arrow had a badass martial artist girlfriend with a bird name. So Marvel gave Hawkeye one.

#14 Posted by _slim_ (13058 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Impersonator said:

@_slim_ said:

I can't really think of any, unless you count Thunderstrike and Beta Ray Bill as rip offs.

They're not considered as rip-offs. They are in the same Marvel universe. Not from other comic book universes. :P

Never considered them rip-offs was just stating that some might count them as rip-offs.  
 
I know they share the same universe.
#15 Posted by vidarrodinson (137 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys can add Noblius(the High Evolutionary's guy) and Red Norvell in the mix. You know, I favor both sides of this. But I'm tired of the duplicity of my guy Thor. The Highlander said, There can be only one.

#16 Posted by PowerHerc (81712 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Norvell

Beta Ray Bill

Thunderstrike

He-Man (Both a Thor rip-off and a Hercules rip-off)

Perun

Mightor (Hanna-Barbera character)

Dargo

T-Strike (Kevin Masterson)

Thor (Image Comics)

Orion (somewhat)

#17 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
Everyone who has a Hammer isn't a Thor Rip-off....There really aren't any Thor rip-offs. Beta Ray Bill,Thunderstrike,Ragnarok, and anyone else that used the name Thor..ISN'T a rip-off.
This.
#18 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Norvell

Beta Ray Bill

Thunder Strike

Dargo

Thor Girl

Ragnarok

#19 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Red Norvell

Beta Ray Bill

Thunderstrike

He-Man (Both a Thor rip-off and a Hercules rip-off)

Perun

Mightor (Hanna-Barbera character)

Dargo

T-Strike (Kevin Masterson)

Thor (Image Comics)

Orion (somewhat)

orion?

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32911 posts) - - Show Bio

Other than the one from Norse Mythology every Thor is existence is a rip off

#21 Posted by PowerHerc (81712 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanroygrant: Yeah, kinda, if you read Kirby's early New Gods stuff there are several parallels.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.