Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8593 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thoughts on Jane Foster's new developments?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

If you've read TGOT issue 12, you'll know what I mean. <Don't read this thread if you don't want to see spoilers!>

Also, what do you think about Roz as a new love interest going forward?

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's an interesting new development. It definitely adds some levity to the Thor title and character where something can affect him deeply without a punch being thrown. I've always clamored for Thor to involve himself in human affairs in terms of environmental degradation and climate change, since he is the son of Gaea after all. Having this Roz chick, an environmental scientist, be a possible love interest provides Thor with new and interesting possibilities, especially considering she works for SHIELD, which will place her in dramatic situations. I think it's quite thoughtful by Aaron to go in this direction.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an interesting new development. It definitely adds some levity to the Thor title and character where something can affect him deeply without a punch being thrown. I've always clamored for Thor to involve himself in human affairs in terms of environmental degradation and climate change, since he is the son of Gaea after all. Having this Roz chick, an environmental scientist, be a possible love interest provides Thor with new and interesting possibilities, especially considering she works for SHIELD, which will place her in dramatic situations. I think it's quite thoughtful by Aaron to go in this direction.

Agreed. I think she'll provide an interesting dynamic for Thor and the story going forward.

I'm still super bummed about Jane Foster though. How sad was that seriously.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mercy_

Wait, are Thor and Sif not together anymore? I haven't read Thor books in forever.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

@mercy_ said:

Wait, are Thor and Sif not together anymore? I haven't read Thor books in forever.

Eh right now they are more like best buddies who get together romantically now and then but they aren't exclusive to each other. Which kind of makes sense in the context of living for a few thousand years.

You should try JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY in trade paper back, the Sif issues, they are kind of weird, endearing silly with over the top action. Sort of like Gail Simone's Big Barda. The main THOR GOD OF THUNDER series is really really popular, and not just because it has lots of good "feats" for Thor heh heh it actually has a nicely woven epic story put together with fun characterization and interesting ideas/concepts.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

@sc: I read the first couple of that arc and loved it, will definitely be picking up the trades for it when I get a chance.

And thanks for the answer...that makes a lot of sense lol

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SC  Moderator

I really like Roz so far, at least as her own character. I still kind of wonder whether this creative decision regarding Jane is because of Marvel's attempts to fade out the Donald Blake part of Thor. To me Jane and Donald Blake were the ones with the connection and after what happened to Donald Blake in Fractions run... but I can understand at the same time, can be tricky to try and work out the finer details as far as Thor/Blake/Jane. The thing is I really liked all three of those characters interactions with each other, like JMS run and even when Sif hung out with Jane recently.

At the moment Roz seems like Jane 2.0 with an easier to understand relationship with Thor. So I am skeptical but open to see what happens next.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Extremis

@sc: see I'm not a fan of the Donald Blake thing. I respect its history as part of the character, but I didn't love JMS's stuff from what I've read. Mostly because I don't like the whole Blake angle. I like Thor because he's Thor, not the whole double identity thing that so many heroes have.

Anyway, just my two cents there. But I do think Roz's part in Thor's life could play out well.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SC  Moderator

@extremis said:

see I'm not a fan of the Donald Blake thing. I respect its history as part of the character, but I didn't love JMS's stuff from what I've read. Mostly because I don't like the whole Blake angle. I like Thor because he's Thor, not the whole double identity thing that so many heroes have.

Anyway, just my two cents there. But I do think Roz's part in Thor's life could play out well.

Thats cool, ironically I feel similarly to you, see I like Thor being Thor, and the reason I liked the JMS stuff was because he made Thor and Blake so different from each other. It basically cleared up all the confused that had accumulated. I actually thought that he was setting up Jane Foster and Donald Blake to move off to the side and give those two a happy ending and so Thor could be just be Thor, but then he left and everything changed heh heh.

How much JMS did you read? You didn't like the parts where Thor was just Thor? I personally liked how majestic, regal and heavy his Thor felt. A lot of his characters in Thor run too, Balder, Kelda, Sif.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: how much I read? Probably not enough lol. His first volume, but as it stands that's a somewhat significant portion of his run as he wasn't on the title that long.

I like the current run by Aaron more as it has more of Thor galaxy trekking and dealing with universal level threats. JMS's stuff I read dealt exclusively with Thor on Earth which just isn't as intersting in my opinion. I like some Thor on earth stuff, but not much. I feel like we get enough of that in Avengers or any other team book he's in. I prefer Thor being out in the cosmos dealing that sort of drama. Hence why I also love what I've read of Walt Simonson's run too.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@sc: how much I read? Probably not enough lol. His first volume, but as it stands that's a somewhat significant portion of his run as he wasn't on the title that long.

I like the current run by Aaron more as it has more of Thor galaxy trekking and dealing with universal level threats. JMS's stuff I read dealt exclusively with Thor on Earth which just isn't as intersting in my opinion. I like some Thor on earth stuff, but not much. I feel like we get enough of that in Avengers or any other team book he's in. I prefer Thor being out in the cosmos dealing that sort of drama. Hence why I also love what I've read of Walt Simonson's run too.

I totally concur with this. Thor is a cosmic figure and should be traversing the Nine Realms and other dimensions doing otherworldly things. At least in his own title, his time on Earth should essentially be a pit-stop. JMS' story was thoughtful and interesting but my only qualms were his placing of Asgard over Oklahoma, which removes much of the mystique about the Asgardian pantheon.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm a Thor fan going back to the mid-70's but I've never been a fan of Jane Foster or Don Blake.

I don't want to see them.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: exactly.

That's why I say it had too much earth feel. Asgard was basically on earth so it removed the mystical and fantastical nature of Asgard. Plus it never felt like he left, he was just floating over Oklahoma.

It wasn't bad, just not what I want out of a Thor story. So it seems we agree there :)

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc: See I agree with you about Donald Blake but I actually really like Jane and what she represents to Thor as a personal human connection to earth.

A good example is Thor the Mighty Avenger. I love that story and am currently reading it. It has Thor on earth and his meeting with Jane Foster, but like the movie it leaves out that unnecessary Donald Blake stuff. So that story is a good example of how I don't mind Thor on earth as long as they aren't contriving him as having some human identity. Thor is Thor and that should be it. Donald Blake served his purpose once but it's plain to see its unnecessary with stories like Thor the Mighty Avenger.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@extremis:

I like Thor on Earth, too, but I've never been a fan of his relationship with Jane (nothing against the character) because it always seemed like the Superman/Lois thing to me. Thor's been interacting with mortals for centuries, been a member of the Avengers since their beginning and is the son of Gaea the Elder Earth Goddess; those are significant enough connections to Earth for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.