Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Those Who Sit Above in Shadow

Wolfus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi everyone. I want to ask you guys a question about TWSAIS. What I want to know is: how powerful exactly are they? How would you rank them?

We know that TWSAIS are above skyfather level. They barely have any feat, but they were given a description.

No Caption Provided

They are celestial beings who feed on the energy of the many ragnarok cicles. That means that they are probably very old, right? We also know that for them, skyfathers are nothing, or better yet, skyafathers are like toys to TWSAIS.

No Caption Provided

Now, considering all this,

1- How powerful do you think they are? Do you think they re like elder gods

2- Do you think they stand a chance against galactus?

3- Do you think they can fight the celestials(they are considered celestial beings, but they are part of the celestials, so therefore comes this question)

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@wolfus said:

Hi everyone. I want to ask you guys a question about TWSAIS. What I want to know is: how powerful exactly are they? How would you rank them?

We know that TWSAIS are above skyfather level. They barely have any feat, but they were given a description.

They are celestial beings who feed on the energy of the many ragnarok cicles. That means that they are probably very old, right? We also know that for them, skyfathers are nothing, or better yet, skyafathers are like toys to TWSAIS.

Now, considering all this,

1- How powerful do you think they are? Do you think they re like elder gods

2- Do you think they stand a chance against galactus?

3- Do you think they can fight the celestials(they are considered celestial beings, but they are part of the celestials, so therefore comes this question)

Truth is we know little about them. It is hard to confirm as to whether or not they are above skyfathers. Mystical beings like gods often work by weird rules where they can be all-powerful in one instance, but helpless due to some weird mystical rule the next. Are TWSAIS above skyfathers or did they somehow bind all of Asgard to the Loom of Fate and able to manipulate it preventing anyone from attacking them directly? Did they live on a plane of existence the Asgardians could not get to the same way gods can travel to earth and Asgard, but mortals cannot?

For your questions:

1. I would say maybe higher level gods. They were powerless to stop Rune Thor despite Rune Thor being at best only slightly above Odin. Thor's advantage was they could not control him the same way they controlled the rest of Asgard. The fact breaking the cycle appears to have made them disappear makes them look weaker then skyfathers. They cannot just punch through dimensions to get to ours. There appear to be specific rules that govern them. I think they are probable an older set of Norse gods...maybe from a previous generation who tried to hang on past their time by taking advantage of Ragnarok and setting it up as a cycle.

2. No, I do not. Their power outside of Asgard appears to be severely limited.

3. Celestial beings means they are of the heavens. All gods are celestial beings. They may be a bit more ethereal than other gods, but they are not part of the Celestials. I would say they are far below the Celestials.

Awar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Awar

@wolfus & @seekquaze;

I think they might be the Older Gods mentioned by Varnae to Thor!

"I watched and snickered as your savage ancestors gnawed their civilization from the bones of the old gods".

Thor even called Those Who Sit Above in Shadow the Great Old Gods, It remains unknown who or what these old gods were or even if they ever existed at all but this might explain why they (Those who sit above in Shadow) were tied to the Asgardian Death & Rebirth cycle!

I mean after all The Three Norns who are part of Norse Mythology (even if they were stolen from the Greeks Three Fates!) where tending the loom when Thor destroyed the loom and Those Who Sit Above In Shadow needed the loom to repeat the cycle of life and death for the Asgardians in order to feed!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galactus was nearly stalemated by Odin. Odin couldn't defeat TWSAIS. So I'd say they win.

undeadtribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When they first appeared in that X-men/Alpha Flight crossover special and then later in Alpha Flight they didn't seem so sinister and Loki didn't seem to hold them in as much awe as we later did. I always thought of them as Old Gods of Hyborea like Valka and Crom (Kull and Conan times - back when Ymir was a "god"). Once they were assumed to be responsible for the Ragnarok cycles I figured the back story was that Odin had made some deal with them to cheat fate and not die, and unknowingly got the Asgardians stuck in this cycle. Thus the explanation that Thor was Odin's (backup?) plan to finally free themselves from the cycle. In any event, TWSAIS power level would likely put them all above Sky-Father level, up to and possibly surpassing Elder God level. Don't forget though that these "levels" are all arbitrary and constantly change - Odin has certainly exhibited power above Elder God level in certain stories and in others he gets winded fighting Thanos.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.