Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8593 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor's sister and Freya

FuriousWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Two questions.....

1) Why is Thor going to crazy over the knowledge that he has a sister when he has at least four blood related brothers that he never acknowledges at such (Balder, Tyr, Hermod, Vidar)

2) Why is Freya the all-mother saying she is being Odin's wife and Thor's mother? It was Frigga who is Odin's wife and who raised Thor, is this an oversight by the writers or has Frigga taken on Freya's name for some reason?

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By arthurkerr

True and she is only his step mother not his real mother. He gets his strength and weather control from his earth mother.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She shares the all mother title actually. Yes thor does ignore his other siblings for loki alot.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always wanted a story where he meant his real mother. Odd they never worked her in that I am aware of.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She shares the all mother title actually. Yes thor does ignore his other siblings for loki alot.

Well Loki is kind of cool and I like how he has the wonder lust as like Odin. I was always amazed when they even made him remotely even caring about the thrown what so ever. I would think he would be saying something like. You do it Thor your not busy. I would love a story where they pretty much had to tie one of them down to take the spot. Dinners and being places and putting on suits and smiling and all those things that Loki would surely not want to do. I guess this is why Thor ran off to Earth and took Loki with him. Come let us escape fast brother before we have to babysit the realm lol. Yeah I just do not see Loki up for that. Baldar on the other hand , loves the spot light and would be more then willing to jump right up there and do the waving and all the rest of the things needed to keep things looking cheerful. Yet why is that never a option.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primebonnick said:

Well Loki is kind of cool and I like how he has the wonder lust as like Odin. I was always amazed when they even made him remotely even caring about the thrown what so ever. I would think he would be saying something like. You do it Thor your not busy. I would love a story where they pretty much had to tie one of them down to take the spot. Dinners and being places and putting on suits and smiling and all those things that Loki would surely not want to do. I guess this is why Thor ran off to Earth and took Loki with him. Come let us escape fast brother before we have to babysit the realm lol. Yeah I just do not see Loki up for that. Baldar on the other hand , loves the spot light and would be more then willing to jump right up there and do the waving and all the rest of the things needed to keep things looking cheerful. Yet why is that never a option.

that sounds epic as hell.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freya and frigga are the same person, and Thor at least knows his other siblings exists. His parent lied to him about this one, and the existence of another entire realm.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more I read up on this sister the more I do not like her lol.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By killraven4334

This guy doesn't know his norse mythology. Both are said to stem from a singular goddess and as such Frigga and Freya are the exact same person in the marvel universe. Just like Odin and Woten both refer to the same person in Norse and Germanic mythology respectively

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By T_Aesir

@killraven4334:

Norse Mythology most accepted current of the Eddas studies says That:

Freyja is the Goddess of sexuality, beauty, fertility she is Vanir daughter of Njöror and sister of Freyr.

Frigga as the power of prophecy she is Aesir Odin s Wife and the mother of Baldr. Her stepchildren are Thor, Týr, Víðarr...

There are recent studies of the EDDAS pointing that Frigga and Freyja could be the same person in Norse Mythology, originally, Odin was possibly considered mainly a shamanistic god and the leader of the war band. His consort was presumably Frijjō, As the society changed, Odin's shamanistic role became less prominent, although it remained one of his attributes, and he was mostly considered the wise king of the gods and bringer of victory. Frijjō presumably split into Frigga and Freyja, with Freyja being the one to receive most of the shaman's aspects.

In marvel comics after Fear Itself event Frigga change is identity to Freyja one of the 3 All Mother [Idunn, Gaea, (Thor s mother) ], In 2012 Matt Fraction The mighty Thor 18 the Aesir/Vanir war Freyja had a origin story that show that she was Vanir, and his marriage with Odin was only to finish the War...

No Caption Provided

FuriousWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FuriousWeasel

@killraven4334: That may be true (It's also theorized from the Myths that Heimdall could also be a son of Odin) however Frigga and Freya have been shown to be two separate characters in the comics, quite recently in fact. I don't expect writers to an encyclopedic knowledge of every Marvel character and story-line ever written but it's pretty damn stupid in my opinion when they obviously haven't done any real research into semi-recent stories. For instance the Norse giantess Skadi who was recently featured in Fear Itself as the evil Goddess who inhabited the Red Skull's daughter (Who subsequently took on the Red Skull moniker) appeared not too long ago as a benevolent giantess in an X-Force annual. Also in a recent Black Panther issue (Where a team of black heroes came together in New Orleans) Luke Cage spoke of introducing T'Challa to Iron Fist when they had been in several comic issues together previously.

bellaardila92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Incest? Maybe because of Freyja is Norse Aphrodite so she is attracted to Thor

TheWhiteCrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frigga only recently changed her name to Freyja however she and Freya are not and have never been the same character in Marvel. Freya is Freyja (Frigga's) aunt and Thor's half sister (both are children of Gaea) & maternal great-aunt (also aunt-in-law, cousin, cousin-in-law). It was Freya (at least in Marvel), not Frigga, who was considered the Vanirian the goddess of love & beauty. She was married to Ve Borson (Odin's brother) who was her Asgardian cousin. In marvel the only time Freya's name had a J, was when it was spelled Freja and the "J": was silence.

FuriousWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FuriousWeasel

@thewhitecrown: Well shit, I just got schooled son.

It does seem strange to me that Frigga (A character from Norse myth) would change her name like that. I'm can only assume someone made a mistake and came up with the name change idea afterwards.

redbarda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

interesting topic i agree 100 percent

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There should be a book where all of odins sons need to whoop but. They idnore them a lot. Gaea and thor should acknowledge each other more

anjuwayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By anjuwayo

Thor is the son of Odin and Jord(Gaea)...Freya and Frey are the children of Njord and Gaea... Frigga(Freyja) is the wife of Odin... Frigga(Freyja) is also the daughter of Frey... Frigga(Freyja) is also the grand daughter of Gaea... Frigga(Freyja) is thus Thor Odinson and Freya's niece...

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjuwayo: Mythologically yes but Marvel doesn't always follow the myths. Marvel doesn't always even follow its own continuity in the comics. In the comics they made Freyr Freyja's father rather than brother and haven't really said whatever became of Frigga that I know of.

anjuwayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: But according to marvel wikia Frigga(Freyja) is Freyr's daughter and Freya without the "j" is Freyr's sister... What I wrote was based on marvel comics...

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjuwayo: That is wrong then from what I have seen in comics. During Fraction's run there is a backstory given to the Vanir/Aesir conflict where Freyr is shown as Freya's father.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.