Thors New Movie is Getting mediocre Reviews

• 53 results
#1 Posted by thorthorthorthor (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Metacritic - 58

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/thor-the-dark-world

It's still higher than man of steel so theres something to cheer about.

#2 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

It's 84% on RottenTomatoes, for what it's worth.

#3 Posted by M3th (2075 posts) - - Show Bio

Its already out?

-ABstract4$$#073-

#4 Posted by JetiiMitra (8398 posts) - - Show Bio

Not surprised, but I don't put too much stock in reviews, if any.

#5 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21376 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

weren't the Ironman 3 reviews high, and the Man of Steel owns low? shows what they no.

#6 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1400 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

weren't the Ironman 3 reviews high, and the Man of Steel owns low? shows what they no.

Man of Steel's ratings were low for a good reason

#7 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21376 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

@mitran said:

sure they were............

#8 Posted by JetiiMitra (8398 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

I mean, I already didn't much care for reviews, but after I saw Man of Steel (walking in expecting a 2-star film) I stopped paying attention to the story critiques and only focused on stuff like cinematography or music.

#9 Posted by JetiiMitra (8398 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

@mitran said:

Yep. Not Reeves. Amongst other petty things.

#10 Posted by Fifthchild (596 posts) - - Show Bio

Metacritic - 58

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/thor-the-dark-world

It's still higher than man of steel so theres something to cheer about.

Meh I never look at Metacritic - its doing well on RT as mentioned though its still very early days. Score could hold in the 80s/high 70s or end up barely fresh at this stage.

@allstarsuperman said:

@mitran said:

Yeah Man of Steel might have been enjoyable for a lot of people but it was reviewed exactly as it should have been and i dont think it will age particularly well.

#11 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16298 posts) - - Show Bio

Reviews are people's opinions.

Their opinions are no more qualified than yours are. They just happened to get paid to give them.

All film is subjective. It is not something that can be measured in any quantifiable way. No two people will have the exact same view on any particular movie.

Moreover, Studios aren't in the business of satisfying review websites. They aren't even in the business of getting awards (although it is a bonus).

They are in the business of making films people will enjoy and will pay to enjoy over and over again.

Go see the movie, form your own opinion. Its the only one that matters when concerning any film.

#12 Posted by phisigmatau (508 posts) - - Show Bio

i never even heard of metacritic

#13 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6259 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't care too much about reviews. I mean, if Man of Steel got terrible reviews, their opinions don't hold to much value to me.

#14 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6259 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Edited by Lvenger (19101 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm only concerned about what I think of the movie once I see it. I went into MOS and decided I didn't like it all that much. That's how I'll come to a view on Thor: The Dark World as well. For the record, Empire gave it a 4 and their reviews are way more credible than Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes.

#16 Edited by Wolverine08 (40708 posts) - - Show Bio

It has an 84% score on RT.

#17 Posted by JetiiMitra (8398 posts) - - Show Bio

@grenadeflow said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@mitran said:

Yeah Man of Steel might have been enjoyable for a lot of people but it was reviewed exactly as it should have been and i dont think it will age particularly well.

Meh.

#18 Posted by Stefano (346 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the critics i follow gave the movie 4 out of 5. Since they like what I like (the reason why I follow them) i am hopeful the movie will be good.

#19 Edited by darkbeam (2209 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by cameron83 (7146 posts) - - Show Bio

Reviews are people's opinions.

Their opinions are no more qualified than yours are. They just happened to get paid to give them.

All film is subjective. It is not something that can be measured in any quantifiable way. No two people will have the exact same view on any particular movie.

Moreover, Studios aren't in the business of satisfying review websites. They aren't even in the business of getting awards (although it is a bonus).

They are in the business of making films people will enjoy and will pay to enjoy over and over again.

Go see the movie, form your own opinion. Its the only one that matters when concerning any film.

#21 Posted by MaccyD (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't pay attention to reviews, they are mostly all different.

Plus they can affect you when watching the film whether you like it or not...

#22 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4523 posts) - - Show Bio

Who really cares what the critics think. I think it's up to you how you feel about the movie when and if you view it. I'm sure fans will support!

#23 Posted by Mxyzptlk_CV (1143 posts) - - Show Bio

first Thor movie was pretty ''meh''...maybe the 2nd one will be better but don't get your hopes up...

#24 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5719 posts) - - Show Bio

Coming from the same people who didn't like Man of Steel simply because it wasn't Christopher Reeve.

Their opinion should hold no weight when it comes to judging comic book movies because people who actually read comics (majority of the site) will have different expectations than those who don't.

#25 Posted by THORSON (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

these review things can drive people crazy.

#26 Posted by Pyrogram (36304 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it.

#27 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (13428 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

I loved it.

You've seen it already ?

#28 Posted by Pyrogram (36304 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (13428 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: I going to see when it comes out over here.

#30 Posted by Fifthchild (596 posts) - - Show Bio

Coming from the same people who didn't like Man of Steel simply because it wasn't Christopher Reeve.

Their opinion should hold no weight when it comes to judging comic book movies because people who actually read comics (majority of the site) will have different expectations than those who don't.

Given Reeves has been dead for almost a decade I doubt many people were expecting him to appear and I dont think thats the reason the film didnt seem to be embraced by most critics and audience goers.

#31 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16298 posts) - - Show Bio

@fifthchild said:

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

Given Reeves has been dead for almost a decade I doubt many people were expecting him to appear and I dont think thats the reason the film didnt seem to be embraced by most critics and audience goers.

It actually pretty much was. MoS had WAY better audience review (75-90% + ranges) than critic reviews.

And most of the reviews you read complain because it wasn't what their pre-conceived notion of Superman was. Apparently a lot of people refuse to accept anything but a Silver-Age portrayal of Superman, who hasn't been written in 40 years.

It was pretty interesting, given that fact that audience generally hated Superman Returns, who was more SA Supes.

#32 Edited by Perethorn (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

Mediocre?

It has 81% in Rotten Tomatoes, that's a truly impressive feat.

#33 Posted by Fifthchild (596 posts) - - Show Bio

You could say that of almost any big event movie though. You could certainly say that of the Pirates and Transformer films. But a few years after there release they arent regarded as good movies, even by the average movie-goer.

Which is why I wasnt saying that MOS wasnt liked by "general audiences" more than critics - I was saying that it wasnt particularly well liked by general audiences. Why? Because it dropped like a stone after opening weekend. 60% drops in BO week to week almost without interruption is not a sign of a film that people enjoyed, recommended to others or went back to see again. Thats a pretty objective measure.

And most of the reviews you read complain because it wasn't what their pre-conceived notion of Superman was. Apparently a lot of people refuse to accept anything but a Silver-Age portrayal of Superman, who hasn't been written in 40 years.

I would have to disagree. Perhaps some comic fans felt that way but I think most normal reviewers just fifnt think it was very good or at least had a bunch of problems. Its not like your average critic has any more idea on what "Silver Age Superman" was like than my Mum does.

It was pretty interesting, given that fact that audience generally hated Superman Returns, who was more SA Supes.

And i would disagree again. Audiences didnt hate Superman Returns. They didnt necessarily love it or embrace it but it was the comic community who were the ones who really turned on it. Since WB decided after long humming and hawing not to go ahead with a sequel i think its been seen as more of a failure in retrospect than it actually was.

#34 Edited by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

only review that matters is your own. every review i saw of ironman 3 hyped the shit out of that movie and you know what? i saw it and hated every minute of it. every critic thinks oh the movie has to be just like the comic and its impossible. whatever happened to just going to the movies for fun? thats why avengers was successful because it was fun to sit and watch for 2 hours. nowadays people just bitch whine complain about oh it isnt as good as ironman 3 or as good as the dark knight trilogy. despite all the critics im seeing this for myself and that is that

#35 Posted by SheenLantern (6453 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a comic book movie, no one expected it to be good.

#36 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care what the critics say, preview looked good, I like Thor, I'm watching it.

#37 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (921 posts) - - Show Bio

Watching it tonight... with LOW expectations so it will definitely exceed it >=D

#38 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Generally when most critics hate something it will be entertaining in some way. For the most part they only like movies that are boring as hell or overtly pointless unless it happens to be a war movie.

#39 Posted by PowerHerc (82755 posts) - - Show Bio

Reviews from movie critics are irrelevant when it comes to most movies and especially superhero movies.

I'll see for myself just how good it is.

#40 Posted by Z3RO180 (6431 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten tomatoes and meta critic would not know a great movie if it came up and smacked them in the face with comically sized flaced object.

#41 Posted by Billy Batson (57914 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

Rotten tomatoes and meta critic would not know a great movie if it came up and smacked them in the face with comically sized flaced object.

Weird thing to say when those sites give an average score of multiple reviews.

BB

#42 Posted by Z3RO180 (6431 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5719 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't referring to a cameo, I was referring to Reeve's Superman. If anybody has a performance other than Reeves, it sucks and is an abomination according to the critics.

#44 Edited by Fifthchild (596 posts) - - Show Bio

@fifthchild said:

I wasn't referring to a cameo, I was referring to Reeve's Superman. If anybody has a performance other than Reeves, it sucks and is an abomination according to the critics.

I know you didnt literally mean it I guess was being a bit sarcastic. But I dont think thats the reason the film wasnt liked by some.

Speaking for myself - I didnt like the movie and I thought that Cavill was a fantastic Kent/Superman and the perfect choice to reboot the franchise. My problems were much more with...a lot of other stuff but the way Superman was portrayed for one thing was a pretty big problem for me rather than the guy in the suit.

#45 Posted by HaveAtThee (514 posts) - - Show Bio

Do yourself a favor and stop following reviews and others' opinions. Going into a film without any preconceived notions is healthy. I saw reviews for Man of Steel the day after I watched it and I was surprised at the amount of negative reviews, but as with any film you can rarely, if ever, please everybody. Based on all the previews, The Dark World looks like it should be better than the first. Can't wait to see it.

#46 Edited by The Stegman (23785 posts) - - Show Bio

Pfft, so? I'm still gonna watch it.

#47 Posted by Fifthchild (596 posts) - - Show Bio

Do yourself a favor and stop following reviews and others' opinions. Going into a film without any preconceived notions is healthy. I saw reviews for Man of Steel the day after I watched it and I was surprised at the amount of negative reviews, but as with any film you can rarely, if ever, please everybody. Based on all the previews, The Dark World looks like it should be better than the first. Can't wait to see it.

Depends on the film though. There are a lot of films that might have impressive trailers but I'm absolutely going to wait for reviews and what others say before dragging my as to the cinema. Most comic book/genre movies though I will see even if I'm halfway certain they are going to be pretty bad.

To avoid preconceived ideas, which I agree can be good, I generally try to avoid watching too many trailers/Tv spots etc. Well a trailer is usually fine but some movies like Avengers have about 10 minutes of footage available to see online as promotion. The whole Iron Man/Thor fight for example. The first time I see that I want it to be on the big screen.

#48 Posted by Beerminator1 (353 posts) - - Show Bio

Pfft, so? I'm still gonna watch it.

Exactly, who cares about the critics? As long as you love the character, you're going to watch it, just so you can give your own opinion on it. I'm going to see this movie tomorrow...

#49 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5719 posts) - - Show Bio

@fifthchild said:

I know you didnt literally mean it I guess was being a bit sarcastic. But I dont think thats the reason the film wasnt liked by some.

Speaking for myself - I didnt like the movie and I thought that Cavill was a fantastic Kent/Superman and the perfect choice to reboot the franchise. My problems were much more with...a lot of other stuff but the way Superman was portrayed for one thing was a pretty big problem for me rather than the guy in the suit.

You reasoning is probably more logical for being a Superman fan(I'm just assuming, I really don't know if you are) because you have a better idea for how he is portrayed in the comics. I just don't like the idea for these "critics" reviewing something they will probably give negative reviews because of something stupid

#50 Posted by Bezza (3455 posts) - - Show Bio

See my review ** Its great, ignore the press movie critics, they are all snobs!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.