THOR Sequel Close to New Director & Larger Cast

• 67 results
Posted by G-Man (37640 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor did an excellent job in introducing movie-goers to the Asgardian Thunder God as well as adding the next chapter in Marvel's Cinematic Universe. The credit went to Kenneth Branagh's directing and Chris Hemsworth's portrayal of Thor. When word came out about a sequel, no one was surprised. Branagh's decision not to return to direct did throw a slight kink in things.

With the hunt on for a director to replace Branagh, Variety is reporting that 'Game of Thrones' director Brian Kirk is in talks to direct Thor 2. He has taken on the Fantasy genre but this would mark his directorial debut on a major production.

While production is currently underway on The Avengers, the sequel to Thor is set for a July 26, 2013 release. Word is the sequel will have a larger case of Asgardians and creatures. In order to top The Avengers, Marvel will have to make this a large scale production. It won't be a direct sequel to The Avengers but that is how it will be seen in ways.

With talk of more based in the Norse mythology world, will movie-goers want a movie strictly set in Asgard (or the other realms)? The comics have always been a mixture with some stories set on Earth and other adventures taking place on Asgard. If we are going to get some crazy Asgardian action, Kirk could be the man to direct. Although, even with the success of the episodes of "Thrones" he directed, he still has some big shoes to fill.

I'm all for a movie set in Asgard. With the first movie and The Avengers, we'll have seen Thor on Earth already. Let's focus more on the plethora of Asgardian tales and villains that are ripe for being adapted to the big screen.

#1 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay can't wait for Thor 2! xD 
More Loki! :P

#2 Posted by Transmetal (293 posts) - - Show Bio

sweet

#3 Posted by The Fastest Man Alive (77 posts) - - Show Bio

cant wait for both avengers, cap 2 and thor 2

#4 Posted by cobra88king8 (345 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hoping Thor 2 will have Maliketh as a villian, they've been pushing him lately in Marvel's cartoons

#5 Posted by cmaprice (811 posts) - - Show Bio

Enchantress, Hela, and Surtur, please.

#6 Posted by SirSparkington (342 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind more Asgard. It was certainty the most interesting part of Thor.

#7 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1187 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope they have Amora enchantress.
#8 Posted by Baddamdog (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta have Enchantress, Hela and Valkyrie, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Posted by CRTrobinson (272 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like a spoiled little kid with all of these movies coming out.  Even a mediocre movie is awesome when you are seeing your childhood brought to life.

#10 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

No more Branagh? Oh, socks! :/

#11 Posted by blueninjapanther (679 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome

#12 Posted by Rhi (58 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to see Amora in Thor 2 and just more Asgard in general!
#13 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

This could be interesting.

#14 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely bummed that Branagh won't be directing the sequel, but still I think it should be great.  I think Jane Foster should finally find a way to get to Asgard from Earth as is hinted at she's trying to do at the end of the film.

#15 Edited by Loki9876 (3053 posts) - - Show Bio

enchantress, skurge and balder please

#16 Posted by ShadowX (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard that Brangh would still be producing Thor 2.
#17 Posted by marvelunivers_deleteme (315 posts) - - Show Bio

i want surtur saga

#18 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

Enchantress is the villain.  Calling it now.

#19 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

The Celestials!!!! they can also introduce the Eternals.

#20 Posted by The Impersonator (5585 posts) - - Show Bio

THOR ROCKS!

#21 Posted by thorwhore (36 posts) - - Show Bio

THOR :)
#22 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

sweet shame about the director though.
#23 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

Game of Thrones is insanly good.  Thor is killer, but I hate Asgard. 
#24 Posted by Maki_P (278 posts) - - Show Bio

The director of Game of Thrones? That sounds promising

#25 Posted by sladewilson30 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

skurge the executioner and amora the enchantress
#26 Posted by RareCheshire (190 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmaprice said:
Enchantress, Hela, and Surtur, please.
Enchantress and Hela!!! I love those two! Valkyrie too!
#27 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor was one of my favorite superhero movies so far, but that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement.  
 -Story should be set in Asgard. Make it so Odin's dying or Surtur's messing things up there to give Thor an excuse to stay up there and not go back to Earth. 
 -The first one lacked a good romance. Give more development on Thor's relationship with Sif. 
 -Give more use for the Warriors Three. I'm pretty sure they weren't even named in the first one. Great characters, but they really had no use in the first one other than comic relief.  
 -Introduce Balder. He's kind of an important character and was nowhere to be seen in the first one. If they do introduce him, give a reason why he wasn't seen in the first one. 
-Follow the rule of three. The rule of three is something that pretty much all movies follow, but the first Thor didn't. Basically, a movie's supposed to have three fight/battle scenes, each more intense than the last. Thor had three scenes, but after the first one, the rest were very weak:  

• Thor, Sif, and the Warriors Three vs. the Frost Giants: Beautifully Done. This set the tone for a lot of things and the fight scene was epic. Definitely one of the best fight scenes in any superhero movie to date. 
  • Thor vs. Destroyer. Meh. Don't get me wrong, it was a cool scene where Thor gets Mjolnir back and starts defending the mere mortals, but it ended very quickly. Apparently all it takes to defeat the Destroyer is a tornado and some lightning. A little anti-climactic and a poor fight scene to follow the first one.
  • Thor vs. Loki. A little better than the Destroyer Fight, but it wasn't nearly as intense as the first fight. I feel that if Loki is supposed to be the main villain here, his fight should be the most impressive. ...But all that happens is Thor destroys Bifrost and Loki falls into a black hole. Again, a little anti-climactic, but better than the Destroyer scene. 
#28 Edited by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio
@Maki_P said:

The director of Game of Thrones? That sounds promising

Very promising.

Branagh producing is good too.

A Thor, Jane, Sif love triangle would be nice... I mean, that's what the GF said.
#29 Posted by TearsInRain (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Game of Thrones meets Thor hmm?  I'll go for it.

#30 Posted by ZombiePie (105 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hated Branagh's direction. Every other shot was a dutch angle or an oblique shot are those angles always felt out of place...like Branagh. He was just out of his element and I felt like the dutch angles were his weird attempt at making a comic book movie more "comic booky," and him being someone that wasn't that knowledgeable about the iconography of comic books he shot his film weird.

#31 Posted by Blizaga101 (944 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to see Loki children they'd be good villians for the film
#32 Posted by Ronyc (151 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't seen Game of Thrones but it must be really good to have 9.5 on imdb with 26k votes. 

I'm calling it now Surtur will be the villian.Epic evil looks that are speaking for large scale threat - perfect for their task in topping The Avengers.
#33 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see Beta Ray Bill in Thor 2 and would also like to see more of the Frost Giants.

#34 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

If its only in Asgard, does that mean no Natalie Portman?

#35 Posted by Verati (6 posts) - - Show Bio

O.O  No Branaugh?!  *cries*

That said, I'm eager to see more of Asgard itself and the other realms.

#36 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

*Sobs with glee*  

I was literally on tumblr yesterday saying I want to watch something that is a cross between Thor and Game of Thrones. .. 

#37 Posted by lectriccolossus (436 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Definitely bummed that Branagh won't be directing the sequel 
#38 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04 said:

lol lets not get ahead of ourselves 

I want this kirk guy to do this sequel. the first thor wasn't that good of a film IMO so it's not big shoes to fill. 
#39 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9244 posts) - - Show Bio

I did not really like Thor so if it is made with a different director I might enjoy Thor 2. 

#40 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@difficlus said:

@azza04 said:

lol lets not get ahead of ourselves I want this kirk guy to do this sequel. the first thor wasn't that good of a film IMO so it's not big shoes to fill.

Yeah I might have jumped the gun a bit with the Celestials >_> lol

#41 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@rogue_mar1e said:
Yay can't wait for Thor 2! xD More Loki! :P

#42 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

Crossing my fingers for Beta Ray Bill!

Just kidding... but not really.  

Nah, I'm really just kidding... but I kind'a am not. 

But for realzzzz I'm just really kidding... or am I...

Frost Giants beware!!!
#43 Edited by MOONGREY (320 posts) - - Show Bio

i want to see thor roll thru new york city.. 

i guess ill get that in the avengers prolly.. but still.. 

#44 Posted by ShadowX (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

My sister loved the Thor movie and she loves Game of Thrones she is ahppy about this. Now I dont know much about Thor as I do about other marvel characters, but for villans or other characters I think Balder should be in it, maybe Hela, and Surter maybe. I do agree that Thors movies should be more asgard based and he interacts in the human world more in the Avengers.
#45 Posted by feargalr (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno if we'll see a Thor movie completely set on Asgard cos it needs the love story and Jane Foster.... plus superhero movies nowadays tend to be as grounded in reality as possible

#46 Posted by CheckPointD (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the contrast between the different Marvel movies helps keep them fun. With that in mind I would welcome an Asgardian adventure to follow The Avengers. Which we can assume will run pretty low on fantasy meter.

#47 Posted by caesarsghost (559 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, a little bummed about Branagh not returning. His directing was just incredible, he brought a level of artistry to Thor that made it the best Marvel movie I had ever seen (Captain America comes a close second).  

But, at the same time, this Kirk fellow seems smart, the tone of Game of Thrones (from what I have seen) seems like it would translate well into the Thor universe that Branagh created. You cant completely throw out everything that Branagh did, then continuity would suffer and viewers would be confused (it is a sequel, after all) but the tone will definitely be darker, which I think I am okay with.  

But I am excited about the prospect of more Asgardian hijincks. Bring on Mangog! Bring on the Frost Giants! Ulik! Durok! Surtur! All those classic villains would be so cool to see on the big screen.  
#48 Posted by johnnie619 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

cant wait
#49 Posted by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

Beta Ray Bill would be awesome alongside Thor, having to kick some massive ass. I hear good things about 'Thrones' so here's hoping.

#50 Posted by MoonKnightFan123 (271 posts) - - Show Bio

Gee wiz, already? I haven't seen the first one yet! I better go try to do that..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.