Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8593 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor Ragnarok: Movie Development Topic

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Asgaard
    No Caption Provided

Release Date - November 3, 2017 (United States)

Production company - Marvel Studios

Distributed by - Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

Produced by - Kevin Feige

Screenplay by - Stephany Folsom

Based on Thorby - Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Jack Kirby

Music by - Mark Mothersbaugh

Cinematography by - Javier Aguirresarobe

Directed by - Taika Waititi

Starring

Thor - Chris Hemsworth

Loki - Tom Hiddleston

Odin - Anthony Hopkins

Sif - Jaimie Alexander

Heimdall - Idris Elba

Fandral - Zachary Levi

Volstagg - Ray Stevenson

Hogun - Tadanobu Asano

Hela - Cate Blanchett

Skurge - Karl Urban

Valkyrie - Tessa Thompson

B. Banner/Hulk - Mark Ruffalo

Grandmaster - Jeff Goldblum

Sam Neill - ???

Official Synopsis

In Marvel Studios’ Thor: Ragnarok, Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok – the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization – at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela. But first he must survive a deadly gladatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and fellow Avenger – the Incredible Hulk!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remove Darcy.

I want more asgardians, like Balder and Enchantress. There were some deleted scenes from the first Thor movie that spent more time with Sif and the warriors three but, obviously, they were deleted. This movie needs to be all about the gods and their twilight, meaning we need to spend minimal time on earth. After AoU Thor isn't on earth anyway so maybe we won't see earth at all since there's no reason for him to come back.

Something between Thor and Sif would be great too. Even if marvel prefers Jane and doesn't want Thor and Sif to have a full blown relationship, give us a little something with them. Perhaps have her die and have Thor be really pissed about it or have him be worried about her pending death.

I also want Odin to still be alive somewhere. Loki killing Odin off screen would be a disappointment and doesn't fit with his characterization, and would also mean that we won't get Odin vs surtur. Surtur had better be the villain in this movie, and they need to show thor as the most powerful god and the only one able to put an end to the cycle. As much time as possible needs to spent away from earth and developing the asgardians, even if its just to kill them off soon.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I really hope that Darcy and Jane aren't in the movie, if confirmed i will remove their names from the topic with satisfaction, i accept any plot that can make that possible, there is no doubt that Sif fits this movie a lot better than Jane, her character will not bring anything interesting to the Ragnarok plot, being Thor girlfriend will only make the plot spend unnecessary time with her, Marvel can still build something believable between Sif and Thor, because Thor and Jane romance has no chemistry and is not believable, even if AUU plot hinted that the Ragnarok could be build with other MCU elements like the infinity stones, the movie still has to have something of the Twilight of the Norse Gods and the Surtur sagas from comics, In the 2015 Cinderella movie press interviews, Kenneth Branagh show interest in direct another Marvel Studios movie, i think he can do a good job in Thor 3, Marvel Studios evolved since 2011, and he doesn't need to introduce Marvel Asgard live action concepts again, more time for the Ragnarok plot, i also would like to see the character Surtur build with CGI but with Mads Mikkelsen voice...

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think one of the biggest problems is Chris Yost writing the screen play. Everything thor related he has done has been terrible i.e. Hulk vs. and Thor the Dark World.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@jayc1324: I really hope that Darcy and Jane aren't in the movie, if confirmed i will remove their names from the topic with satisfaction, i accept any plot that can make that possible, there is no doubt that Sif fits this movie a lot better than Jane, her character will not bring anything interesting to the Ragnarok plot, being Thor girlfriend will only make the plot spend unnecessary time with her, Marvel can still build something believable between Sif and Thor, because Thor and Jane romance has no chemistry and is not believable, even if AUU plot hinted that the Ragnarok could be build with other MCU elements like the infinity stones, the movie still has to have something of the Twilight of the Norse Gods and the Surtur sagas from comics, In the 2015 Cinderella movie press interviews, Kenneth Branagh show interest in direct another Marvel Studios movie, i think he can do a good job in Thor 3, Marvel Studios evolved since 2011, and he doesn't need to introduce Marvel Asgard live action concepts again, more time for the Ragnarok plot, i also would like to see the character Surtur build with CGI but with Mads Mikkelsen voice...

I agree, though they will probably find a way to awkwardly wedge Jane and Darcy into the movie, though isn't Natalie Portman sort of not interested in the role (as if she ever has been) or is she still under contract? Taking so much time away from the concerns of Asgard to focus on a dull. fizzling romance just diminishes the entire story. Marvel definitely could do something with Thor and Sif which wouldn't be so distracting with very little effort and I'm certain it would come off more natural and believable.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Asgaard

@antithetical: It's widely known that Natalie Portman didn't want to portray Jane in Thor: The Dark World, don't care about the reasons, Marvel Studios just have to acknowledge what didn't work in that movie and do the math, really don't know if she still under contract, but will K. Feige and Marvel Studios repeat Thor 2 mistake?

When Gal Gadot was cast as Wonder Woman, Jaimie Alexander was rumored for the role, i think Marvel offer her something, she show availability for other MCU appearances (AOS), the MCU everything is connected theory is great, but the practice gives Feige a lot of headaches, Marvel movies become to popular even for casual audiences that don't care and know character rights in live action, Quicksilver already was in Fox's universe Scarlet Witch wasn't, so QS died in AAU, back to Sif would be strange for casual audiences to see the same actress portray similar roles like Wonder Woman and Sif, just speculation but i wonder if Marvel didn't promise Jaimie Alexander a more predominant role in Thor Ragnarok also acknowledging the fact that Natalie dislikes Thor franchise? And in AOS episode (Who You Really Are) Sif character was more openly portrayed as Thor love interest than in the movies...

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll have to address what happens to Jane Foster in Ragnarok. Presumably Thor tells her that he has to go save the Nine Realms and they can never work because the span of her lifetime is like a hiccup compared to his.

Feige wants to give Ragnarok the "Winter Soldier" treatment that Cap got. He also said it's going to be a really important film to set up a lot of what happens leading up to Infinity War. I dig that premise but I'm leery of its execution, considering Yost is still on scripting duties.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sooooo not ready for the end all of the Thor Saga. I mean what of other fights like Kang or the wrecking crew?

I wish they could do a three part saga and keep one villain for the three part saga like they did for Harry Potter. This makes more sense to me instead of one villain per movie. Lets put more into character development and so fourth. Why do they wish to rush things and make the movies suffer for it?

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The "Thor" franchise has gotten the shaft in terms of overall character and world development. We don't really know the Asgardians. What makes them unique, what motivates them, why they are the dominant race of the Nine Realms, etc.

Honestly, all of Thor's films have been rushed, executive-room messes (the second one much more so than the first) that have cut up the films' final product for marketing purposes.

I would've introduced Thor and the Asgardians in the middle of a battle like 1,500 years ago in Scandinavia. That whole scene that Fandral describes about "visiting Earth and summoning lightning, where humans worship us" should've been the first scene in the movie. Show them young, brash but gregarious and saving Scandinavian villages from frost-giants or trolls or something. Give them a bit of the Norse Myth twist. Show the Norwegians or something throwing feasts in their honor, while Odin watches in disdain at how his first-born is essentially acting like a Norse frat-boy. They just rushed everything in the first movie. The entire movie should've really shown that, yes, Thor is a great warrior (as Odin said) but he's not a great leader of the gods yet. His journey on Midgard after his banishment should've taken longer and should've really shown Thor struggling to fit in as a mere mortal. In reality Thor never really changed as a person in his films. He was still the same guy at the end as he was in the beginning, albeit this time showing more concern for those around him and a bit less hot-headed.

I just think they brought Thor to the big screen to be able to introduce the cosmic side of Marvel, and they never really gave the character the proper focus he deserves. There was never really any conflict for Thor, as there was for Loki, who has received quite the proper treatment and has a much deeper character arc.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Asgaard

@haveatthee: definitely agree, Marvel Studios wasn't able to show in live action the right equilibrium between the Norse Thor and the Superhero Thor, i m still waiting to see his natural Valhallan spirit, if that doesn't happen in Ragnarok, will never happen... The movie franchise wasn't able to establish correctly all the Asgardian core elements/concepts...

In the last years Thor and Asgard comics become to American Centric, when Angela was announced has Thor's sister i thought that would jeopardize Asgard even more, actually i was very wrong, currently Gillen writing is the only thing that reinforce all the Asgardian original concepts in marvel, the Asgardian belief systems are almost dead for writers like Jason Aaron, the recent popularity was toxic for Marvel Thor, the reach for different demographics destroyed some Asgard core elements that made Stan Lee and Jack kirby creation special, i really hope that this is not Marvel Studios path with Thor franchise, if so will be just another superhero franchise...

Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone think Thanos will play some kind of role in Rangnarok??

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Asgaard

@incursion said:

Anyone think Thanos will play some kind of role in Rangnarok??

Probably Thanos will be in the movie but i still hope that Ragnarok "real threat" is Surtur...

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to see Surtur being involved considering there's been no mention of him at all despite one Easter Egg showing the fires of Muspelheim in TDW. By Feige saying that Ragnarok will be important I imagine Thanos will be heavily involved.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By antithetical

@haveatthee said:

Hard to see Surtur being involved considering there's been no mention of him at all despite one Easter Egg showing the fires of Muspelheim in TDW. By Feige saying that Ragnarok will be important I imagine Thanos will be heavily involved.

I'm of the same opinion, I have the feeling Marvel will give us a Ragnarok in name only and none of the spirit of either the comics or myths, simply to move the larger Infinity War concept forward. By Odin's eye I hope I'm wrong, but considering the treatment the previous Thor films have received I'm not overly optimistic.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee said:

I'm of the same opinion, I have the feeling Marvel will give us a Ragnarok in name only and none of the spirit of either the comics or myths, simply to move the larger Infinity War concept forward. By Odin's eye I hope I'm wrong, but considering the treatment the previous Thor films have received I'm not overly optimistic.

I also share that fear, and yes Marvel wasn't assertive in Thor franchise yet, obviously that Fenrir and Jörmungandr don't fit the MCU world building, but Surtur with good CGI can fit, and he doesn't need to be exactly like in comics, but just make him menacing and there you have your comics/norse element, i really can't see how you call a movie Thor Ragnarok and don't use any element from that comics sagas or Norse myths, i think K. Feige acknowledged what went wrong at least in Thor 2, i have faith that he won't allow the described scenario, he had the preoccupation to mention in the marvel movie slate announcement how important this specific movie was, he understands very well how the movie industry works and what made MCU the most successful franchise in history, i doubt that he wants to start this movie promotion with negative buzz from Thor and comic fans, he always had the preoccupation to say in every interview that Female Thor was not in the MCU plans when this change was not well received by the MCU audience and Thor fans.

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

good

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By antithetical

yes, let's all hope it turns out good... epic and respectful of the sources. \m/

Spaceboy987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spaceboy987

I just hope they show more of Thor's power

He has been really weak this far

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By antithetical

@spaceboy987: idk, weak compared to the comics perhaps, but then as far as the movies are concerned I think most all characters levels are a bit off... Thor and Hulk are powered down while Cap and Iron Man are stronger than their comic book counterparts.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope they show more of Thor's power

He has been really weak this far

Some Valhallan Spirit would be more cool for me, and perhaps that spirit brings more power...

Spaceboy987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't get it

AOU spoilers

Thor gets manhandled by Ultron while Iron Man destroys Ultron

Hulk also manhandles Ultron

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Asgaard

@spaceboy987 said:

I just don't get it

AOU spoilers

Watch the movie Again... From all the Avengers only Thor got Ultron attention in the final act, he attacked Thor by surprise, Thor still absorb all his attacks with no real damage just waiting for the coordinated Vision strike...

Actually AAU give Thor more than feats, that movie plot clearly show that Thor is the only avenger that doesn't need approval of anyone to act like he wants, the scene where he gives life to the Vision proves that...

Spaceboy987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd watch it again but where I live the cinema is expensive as fuck.

20 bucks for a ticket + gas mileage

Waiting for an extended version

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@asgaard said:
    @spaceboy987 said:

I just don't get it

AOU spoilers

Watch the movie Again... From all the Avengers only Thor got Ultron attention in the final act, he attacked Thor by surprise, Thor still absorb all his attacks with no real damage just waiting for the coordinated Vision strike...

Actually AAU give Thor more than feats, that movie plot clearly show that Thor is the only avenger that doesn't need approval of anyone to act has he wants, the scene where he gives life to the Vision proves that...

Doesn't thor also destroy a city near the end of the movie?

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:
    @spaceboy987 said:

I just don't get it

AOU spoilers

Actually AAU give Thor more than feats, that movie plot clearly show that Thor is the only avenger that doesn't need approval of anyone to act like he wants, the scene where he gives life to the Vision proves that...

Yep, that's how I saw it as well, Thor pretty much tanked Ultron's assault and was toying with him, the part where he's bragging to Ultron and says "I'm running out of things to say" right before Vision nails him indicates Thor was playing possum as a distraction.

I'd watch it again but where I live the cinema is expensive as f*ck.

20 bucks for a ticket + gas mileage

Waiting for an extended version

Man, that definitely sucks.

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is know one else worried that chris yost is doing the screenplay?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Asgaard

@thegodofthunder said:

Is know one else worried that chris yost is doing the screenplay?

Yes... I really hope this time he understands Asgard and the concept of the Ragnarok, because if he writes another Dark World kind of plot in the Ragnarok concept Thor franchise is ruined... Craig Kyle didn't write the DW script but was executive producer so i share your fears...

THORSON2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

surtur Ulik, Amora, Executioner needs to be in this movie.

Spaceboy987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But do you think they are going to

Have Thor do the trials as Odin did? Losing the eyes e.t.c

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of doubt it, but that's just my opinion.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guaranteed that Ragnarok is mostly about Loki's idiotic scheming costing the Asgardians their home and their lives at the hand of Thanos. Somehow, I'm thinking that by the time it's released they'll also foreshadow some sort of plot-line for GoTG 2 as well (since the Power Gem was last seen in that movie). I don't see much influence from the comics and/or myths making their way into the picture. I hope I'm wrong or pleasantly surprised.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Asgaard

@antithetical: @haveatthee:

I think the announced Dc movie slate is not certain as the MCU, WB can reschedule their Dc properties movie release dates if some underperform but not good for the Ragnarok the current release date, and obviously isn't also good for WB and the Justice League movie, and that untitled Pixar movie also doesn't help, the previous release date in July (now Mcu Spider-Man) was a lot better for the movie have a good box office performance...

No Caption Provided

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: yeah, I was kind of annoyed Marvel pushed Thor: Ragnarok back to November, makes me think they're already lacking confidence in the project.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: Honestly I am not faithful at all that this will be a well done movie. I'm not even sure they will use Surtur or the mythological Ragnarok.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Asgaard
    @jayc1324 said:

@haveatthee: Honestly I am not faithful at all that this will be a well done movie. I'm not even sure they will use Surtur or the mythological Ragnarok.

@antithetical said:

@asgaard: yeah, I was kind of annoyed Marvel pushed Thor: Ragnarok back to November, makes me think they're already lacking confidence in the project.

Let's put it this way i really doubt that Disney/Marvel want to see Thor Ragnarok be crushed by the Justice League movie, that would question their current comic book adaptations dominance, so they have to build a quality product because WB property (Justice League) is a lot bigger, when Cap 3 and B v S had the same release date, everyone thought that Cap would move because it was a smaller property, but Cap 2 was awesome and now Cap 3 has the Civil War plot and consequently Iron Man and Spider-Man, very different perception now. Perhaps K. Feige and Marvel Studios are building something really special for the Ragnarok, Feige already said that the movie was very important in phase 3, either way the Ragnarok has to have comics/myths elements that connect to Thor and Asgard, if not this movie can be great, but i will not appreciate the plot/story...

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I think the missteps taken with The Dark World especially have a lot of us concerned despite what Feige says. As @haveatthee has been saying, having Chris Yost on writing duties again doesn't inspire much confidence that this won't end up being TDW 2.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceboy987 said:

I kind of doubt it, but that's just my opinion.

hope not , lets keep Thor as two eyes , two arms and all the rest just kicking butt and taking names. As it should be. Lets Keep Odin himself as well it would not be Asgard without Odin at the throne.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who would you guys like to see direct this film?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who would you guys like to see direct this film?

i already said that Kenneth Branagh show interest in direct another Marvel Studios movie, i think he can do a good job in Thor 3, Marvel Studios evolved since 2011, and he doesn't need to introduce Marvel Asgard live action concepts again, more time for the Ragnarok plot...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odin better not be dead. Who else would rule Asgard? Frigga is dead and Thor prefers being on earth

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HaveAtThee

@asgaard: It'd be interesting to see what Peter Jackson could do with the Marvel Norse pantheon.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Asgaard

@asgaard: It'd be interesting to see what Peter Jackson could do with the Marvel Norse pantheon.

Interesting would he accept? The last hobbit movie was very poor, but he's a great director, if motivated and not saturated like in the last Hobbit he could do a fantastic work, but Marvel Studios and the MCU dictate some rules that not every director is willing to follow, Edgar Wright ? They will not have total creative control of the movie, and Thanos could ruin Peter Jackson's interpretation of the Marvel Norse Pantheon...

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:
    @haveatthee said:

Interesting would he accept? The last hobbit movie was very poor, but he's a great director, if motivated and not saturated like in the last Hobbit he could do a fantastic work, but Marvel Studios and the MCU dictate some rules that not every director is willing to follow, Edgar Wright ? They will not have total creative control of the movie, and Thanos could ruin Peter Jackson's interpretation of the Marvel Norse Pantheon...

And from what I've read Peter Jackson has no interest in directing any superhero movie.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

What to do with Jane?

Give her cancer like Jason Aaron did.

It's perfect, Thor understands humans/mortality and what it means to feel helpless which is what will separate him from the other gods and give Natalie Portman something to sink her teeth into.

I'd also like a scene where Thor kneels before humans in front of other Asgardians. I've always found that a powerful gesture on his part.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: As proven in several comics the MCU has direct influence in the MU, not the other way around, Jane just can't fit in the Ragnarok movie...

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

where the hell is amora or skurge?

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

seriously

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

where the hell is amora or skurge?

Surely Amora will make an appearance.

Unless Lorelei was their attempt at her...

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wonder if we are gonna see the Midgard Serpent

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.