Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8593 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

THOR Movie Discussion

• 184 results
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#151  Edited By Mercy_
    @SC said:
    " I think it was just a random stock huge guy. "Agent Delancey"

I am surprised not many people are mentioning JMS cameo! Not as good as Stan's but still!! 
    "
    They were both freaking awesome!
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Anyone catch the "Journey into Mystery" reference?

Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also one of my few real complaints about the movie is the fact they didn't cast Brian Blessed as Odin.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#154  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @The Dark Huntress:  Have you read the FF comic where a bunch of people try and lift it? I'll scan that one in for you as well... 

(also I think this was Stan's best cameo)

@Emperor Gonzo Noir:  Unless those words were tattooed into Kat Denning's eyes... oh uhm.. what, no.. I am normal. *sounds unconvincing* When can we expect a twitter play by play? 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Mercy_
    @SC: No, I haven't. V__V Thank you! 

(I more than agree)
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SC: No it was on a billboard, I thought it was a clever nod for the fanboys.

When the dvd drops, I'm not one of those people who have their phone out during a movie.
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jake Fury: I've always said it "Mo- nee - air"
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Mercy_
    @Gambler said:
    " "Better call it Colson, cause I'm startin to route for this guy"Favorite Cameo ever. "
    Yeah. So favorite that you had to freaking spoil it for me. Thanks for that. I will have payback, btw. 
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#159  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Gambler said:
    " "Better call it Colson, cause I'm startin to route for this guy"Favorite Cameo ever. "
    Yeah. So favorite that you had to freaking spoil it for me. Thanks for that. I will have payback, btw.  "
    :O
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Mercy_
    @Gambler said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Gambler said:
    Yeah. So favorite that you had to freaking spoil it for me. Thanks for that. I will have payback, btw.  "
    :O "
    Hell hath no fury and all that jazz. ^___^

You won't ever know it's coming, either. And then all of a sudden, BOOM, spoiler!
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#161  Edited By Kairan1979

Jane Foster was a major disappointment. She is just as "convincing" as a scientist as Denise Richards.
    In the end I wished Thor to end up with Sif instead.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Mercy_
    @Kairan1979 said:
    " Jane Foster was a major disappointment. She is just as "convincing" as a scientist as Denise Richards.In the end I wished Thor to end up with Sif instead. "
    Gotta agree with you on that. I don't think the fault lies with Natalie, though. She's an amazing actress. I just think that the part was poorly written. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c97835f97617
    deactivated-5c97835f97617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

THOR IS FREAKIN AWSOME ESPECIALLY IN 3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

allison_scag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By allison_scag

Personally I thought it was a good movie overall, I absolutely adore Natalie Portman and thought her performance was stellar, and a quick trivia for you guys. I actually went to audition for the role of Darcy Lewis, but it didn't go over to well with Kennith Branagh because i wasn't quirky enough, which is weird because when you want quirk you call Allison.

abeyance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By abeyance

Thor was entertaining but could've been much better without the power stripping. It might have been better with telling how Thor first obtained Mjolnir and did an earth tie in near the end. Sif should have been black too since Heimdall was her brother if I'm not mistaken. I guess they wanted a token black guy like all the other Marvel Movies. Thor shouldn't have gone down so easy in the hospital the doctors did more damage than the trained shield agents. Anyway it was entertaining but really didn't represent Asgard and Thor in the best light.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#166  Edited By DH69

umm what was that dinosaur thing that attack thor and his boys...and sif :p

reaperkenswolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By reaperkenswolf

I've yet to see Thor. How is it?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#168  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Kairan1979 said:
    Jane Foster was a major disappointment. She is just as "convincing" as a scientist as Denise Richards.In the end I wished Thor to end up with Sif instead.

@The Dark Huntress said:
    Gotta agree with you on that. I don't think the fault lies with Natalie, though. She's an amazing actress. I just think that the part was poorly written. 

Well... would you guys prefer a stereotype cliche scientist instead? In my opinion it was refreshing to let her not be so convincing. Its a small role, she would be convincing if we see her science papers. I have a scientist friend that is more like her in this movie. There just isn't that much room for really any praise or criticism?

I think the main thing that the character needed to do, was provide a grounded aspect, so we can actually see how these other Asgard characters are just so... (that being said Thor/Sif FTW!)
    Maikel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Maikel

The movie is good... but it does not tie in to the original comic book appearance.

The 1989 hulk tv-movie had a closer origin story to thor, whereas Donald Blake got lost in the cave and found the hammer. allowing him to "channel" thor.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I already said it in other threads, but I loved the movie. I was surprised by how many times I laughed and enjoyed the action scenes. I really felt as if he was a superhero and a god. And my favorite scene was also the shirtless Chris Hemsworth scene :). There were a few set piece elements, but I didn't mind it so much because it seemed so much more exciting than the other Marvel movies that came out so far - maybe "Iron Man 1" could compare in terms of excitement and skill of execution.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SC said:
    @Kairan1979 said:
    Jane Foster was a major disappointment. She is just as "convincing" as a scientist as Denise Richards.In the end I wished Thor to end up with Sif instead.

@The Dark Huntress said:

Well... would you guys prefer a stereotype cliche scientist instead? In my opinion it was refreshing to let her not be so convincing. Its a small role, she would be convincing if we see her science papers. I have a scientist friend that is more like her in this movie. There just isn't that much room for really any praise or criticism?

I think the main thing that the character needed to do, was provide a grounded aspect, so we can actually see how these other Asgard characters are just so... (that being said Thor/Sif FTW!)
    I do wonder if they couldn't have switched the roles a bit to give her more to do; maybe have the girl playing her sidekick be the scientist, and Jane be a nurse working at the hospital that just hung out at the site that night. It would tie in to her original appearance and give her an excuse to ogle Thor. Plus it would have cemented the idea that he would learn something about helping others from her.
    Tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Tebbit

I agreed with everything up until they started mentioning the good points.

injan89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By injan89

I did not care for this movie. I don't think that I'm ever going to watch it again. It left too many questions unanswered. For example, "Where are all the Asgardians?" The only Asgardians in the movie are high-ranked soldiers. No civilians. This made me wonder who were they fighting for. Another question that I had was "Why is Loki able to lift and wield Odin's staff but not Thor's hammer?" I think that's a good question but the movie fails to explain everyone's powers or limits, or how things work around Asgard. You just have to assume that "it's magic" since it's Thor's universe. Another puzzler I have is "Why do the Asgardians show remorse for the Frost Giants?" In the movie, they potray the Frost Giants as these big, blue demonoid people who do nothing but hang on walls and cliffs, waiting for any human-looking thing to walk by so they can ambush it. Odin must be a man of great humility, because I'm with Thor in the sense that they should be vanquished. 

But my biggest beef with the movie was one particular scene where they show these New Mexican rednecks trying to pull Thor's hammer out of a rock. After a hard day of drinking and failing, they decide to go to a diner and who happens to be there? Thor! The waitress asks them what they've been up to and one of the guys says "We found a sattelite in a crater and we're trying to pull it out." Okay, the "sattelite" is clearly a hammer. There is no mistaking the two. You can see the handle and the head sticking up out of the ground. They even attempted pulling the hammer out via handle! And they called it a "sattelite" And Thor, in the diner, hears about the "sattelite" and immediately knows that their talking about his hammer. Seriously? Who hears the word "sattelite" and starts thinking of a hammer? It makes no sense. It's bad writing. Maybe Odin casted a spell on the hammer to disguise it from humans before he cast it to Earth, but the movie fails to explain any of that. 

There are more things wrong with this movie, but those were my biggest concerns. So do yourself a favor. If you're not a big fan of Thor comics, don't waste your time with this movie. It's just another over-hyped Marvel stink-fest.
    tbone1225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#174  Edited By tbone1225

After watching the film a couple of times, I really wish they had just focused on getting the most crisp video possible without 3D. I have yet to find a showing of Thor in a really fantastic digital projector auditorium without it being 3D. 

Side note: Do you think we'll see Niffelheim in the sequel?

Jo_Bug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Jo_Bug

3 D graphics were great but I thought the characters were flat and the storyline was poor. It didn't get to the point where there was real emotion. LIke where Thor has his whole turnaround after a night of drinking - it was too fast and didn't really ring true. Ditto for the love thing with Natalie Portman. I also thought Loki was particularly poorly developed although he was cast well.  

Nope; it gets as many thumbs as I can recruit down for me. They could have done so much more in terms of depth.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Osiris1428

Heimdal: The Movie was absolutely awesome!!!!!! LMAO Every scene with him in it should have been subtitled THAT'S WHY!!!

maximonstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#177  Edited By maximonstar

I actually love the movie Thor and thought it was more true to the badassness that is Thor. The comedy was an added bonus which i enjoyed, but one fight scene i did not like, Thor vs the Destroyer armor.

SunnyGirl22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#178  Edited By SunnyGirl22

I never watch the movie Thor movie but the trailer look good i might get is on dvd tbh

Avatar image for iknoweverything
    IKnowEverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By IKnowEverything

I liked it. Better than Captain America, Iron Man 2, Green Lantern, Spider-Man 3, all the X-Men movies, Superman Returns, Both Hulk movies, and Batman begins. Not as good as Iron Man, Spider-man 1 or 2, or The Dark Knight. 

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Hoboseid

The Avengers footage is out

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#181  Edited By Queso6p4

I thought this was a pretty decent movie. I didn't love it but I did like it. Hemsworth really did sell my as Thor, but overall, it was fairly lackluster. Hiddleston's portrayal of Loki needed more focus, imo, to really contrast it with Thor's but he did an adequate job. I also thought that Stevenson's portrayal was good and fun but he needed my screentime. Then again, I have a soft spot in my heart fro Volstagg. I also did like the nods that the comic book faithful would've picked up on. That's always a nice touch when not overdone.

cracker_jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By cracker_jack

@DH69 said:

wasnt a fan of the amount of screentime earth got...wouldve prefered alot more asgard...and a lot less natalie portman.

I agree with all that.

I still liked the movie. I picked up the blu-ray today. I may even search for a cheap used copy of the video game, even though I hear it sucks.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched it for the first time. I agree Earth got a lot of screentime, but thinking on it I don't see how they could've really done it any differently. Thor was banished like 20 minutes in, the movie was less than 2 hours. It wouldn't have been believable in any way if he'd gotten his powers back right away. Though, when he did get his powers back and that little speech he gave to Loki when he was walking towards the Destroyer...Epic.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By majestic99

Pretty good. My only complaint is that movie thor is significantly weaker than his comics counterpart.

m99

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.