Thor is a god and why does get beat up sp easily?!

• 120 results
#1 Posted by Zjun (7 posts) - - Show Bio

In EARTH"S MIGHTIEST HEROES AVENGERS tv show series, in most of the episodes thor gets beatin up and then he gains the upperhand over his enemies...Why is that?! He's a god, isn't he
#2 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the show would be kind of lame if  Thor just stomped every body in his way.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (12997 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL,  Apparently you never watched the Justice League cartoon
#4 Posted by JediXMan (30949 posts) - - Show Bio
Being a "god" is really just a title. A lot of people call themselves gods without having the power to back it up. The only one that earns the title is the One Above All and anybody else that's omnipotent. 

@cattlebattle said:
" LOL,  Apparently you never watched the Justice League cartoon "
You saying something negative about the Justice League cartoon? -_-
#5 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zjun:
Without enter the detail, you must know that the nature of divinity in the ancient world (Antiquity and Pagan world.) is wildly different than in our era, which is grealy influenced by the judeo tough of a god that is entirely shapeless, immortal and indestructible. 

God in ancient myth are neither immortal or invincible, just see Ragnarok or other event like these. So yeah, Thor who's been ass-kicked isn't cool, but it make sense.  
#6 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor also seems to serve a similar purpose on the Avengers team that Wolverine does for the X-Men: namely, getting clobbered by the villain to demonstrate how dangerous he is. I'm going to get super-geeky and say that if the Avengers was a party in a MMORPG, Thor would usually wind up being the tank.

#7 Posted by SC (13235 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor under Marvel definition is a god, remember that the dictionary doesn't exist to have one meaning and definition per word, but that being said god is rarely a title claimed because of any objective power. Its always generally been relative. The word was created and defined in this specific context. So what this essentially means and nicely segways into is that in a more modern context, power is relatively. Not only that so is intent. Maybe the reason Thor gets beat up so often is because he doesn't treat each fight like its life or death? Its sort of the same as a parent and a child, why don't parents just beat there kids up when they misbehave, well heroes they generally just try to stop the villain and incarcerate them, villains on the other hand don't care whether the hero is killed usually.  

Last point is that characters in teams need to have a certain balance as so each character can appeal as to as many characters overall. Some characters will invariably gather fans for their more unique characteristics but its just bad logic to devote to much perceived status to any one individual character, especially again I mention in a team context. This is why Thor and Hulk are both somewhat depowered and unlike comics where you have ongoings, solos, minis and a bunch of messy ambiguity, in a cartoon things are much simpler. 

#8 Posted by virgin4life (428 posts) - - Show Bio

why do some people argue that thor could beat superman when the hulk regularly humiliates thor?

#9 Posted by SC (13235 posts) - - Show Bio
@virgin4life said:
" why do some people argue that thor could beat superman when the hulk regularly humiliates thor? "

Possibly because one of the greatest Thor and Superman writers thought he could, and most arguments defending the notion that Hulk has ever humiliated Thor lack water, or are born out of bias? Add in the fact they are both fictional characters with dozens of different writers, and arguments like these deal with subjective truths? 
#10 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

You saying something negative about the Justice League cartoon? -_- "

Even Bruce Timm says that they used lighting on Superman too much...

#11 Posted by Godslayer1090 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever universe, comic series, or cartoon you talk about, it seems like Thor get's the shit end of the stick most of the time when fighting other heroes, especially the Hulk, and that irritates me. Hulk's physically stronger, okay, fine, whatever, Thor got enough strength to hold his own,  powerful offensive magical abilities, and thousands of years of fighting skills to back him up. As far as I'm concerned, Thor's overall more powerful than the Hulk. And yet EVERY time they fight, Hulk stomps. I'm at the point in time where I'm almost tired of the Hulk. Every fight he's in he wins. It get's boring. No, I take that back. Zeus recently beat the Hulk so bad, Hulk vomited blood. Zeus then stated that he delivered a beatdown on the Hulk worse than anyone else has in history (or something to that effect). That made me happy.

#12 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

he's a great actor, but just lost an best supporting ocsar to bale this year.  :( *tear*

#13 Posted by tensor (4652 posts) - - Show Bio

thor god  of lighting an thunder that is the only god thing about thor nothing else

#14 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio

@Godslayer1090:

wrong, Thor won the majority of the fights agianst hulk, dont believe me? here watch this video 

#15 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: 
Being a "god" is really just a title. A lot of people call themselves gods without having the power to back it up. The only one that earns the title is the One Above All and anybody else that's omnipotent. 

@cattlebattle said:

Homie was probably pointing out a part where Superman and Darkseid were going standing toe to toe trading head shots so hard where buildings were shaking then Batman shows up swinging a rope followed by a dropkick to Darkseid and he goes down. I know I called bull^%&# when I saw that and I think he did the same thing.

#16 Posted by digimod (239 posts) - - Show Bio

Because there are a lot of super-powered heroes and villains that have enough power to spar with a god.

#17 Posted by Iron_Lad (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Asgardians actually aliens with technology so far advanced that humans perceive them as "gods"? I know they had mentioned this during Earth X, but I'm not sure if it is canon.

#18 Posted by SC (13235 posts) - - Show Bio
@Iron_Lad said:
" Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Asgardians actually aliens with technology so far advanced that humans perceive them as "gods"? I know they had mentioned this during Earth X, but I'm not sure if it is canon. "

Not quite, Earth X, was purposefully divergent from mainstream 616 continuity. Its more like Marvel like their alteration of the word mutant (since we are all sort of mutants) but of course a girl with bones sticking out her face would probably be considered more mutant by people generally, their use of the term god applies to characters birthed of, and out of the stuff expelled from Demogorge all the way back when the Earth was young and blah blah. (Gaea an elder god unless you want to for whatever reason start thinking that the term god in real life was born because people thousands of though absolute power was its definition yet stupidly decided to have a bunch of them, and thus Gaea isn't actually one, but Gaea gives birth to Atum who devours a bunch of other Elder gods who were actually freaking out more as demons, and then back to what I say about the expelled energies. Then things get fuzzy for all the various earth Pantheons, but usually most of them refer to one Gaea but through various aliases, so in that respect she sort of interconnects the various pantheons.  

So among the other reasons and definitions of gods and god, in Marvel, those energies and who and where it went and the children of those characters? Usually nicely and neatly defined as gods by Marvel, or relating to them. Hope that/this helps? 
#19 Posted by cattlebattle (12997 posts) - - Show Bio
@FortressoftheMoon said:
"@JediXMan: 

@cattlebattle said:

Homie was probably pointing out a part where Superman and Darkseid were going standing toe to toe trading head shots so hard where buildings were shaking then Batman shows up swinging a rope followed by a dropkick to Darkseid and he goes down. I know I called bull^%&# when I saw that and I think he did the same thing.

"

sort of.....I was just stating the League were powered down significantly in this series. I love that show.............................Thor being powered down is similar
#20 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio
@virgin4life said:
"why do some people argue that thor could beat superman when the hulk regularly humiliates thor? "

Because Based on there feats it would be a really good fight.
#21 Posted by bgibs13390 (904 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is not all powerful. Also most of the time he is not written to his full potential. In most crossovers and stuff when he fights heros he never fights all out. He has stated very often that when he fights mortals he holds back a great deal. Never using more then 10% of his real strength. You can see what he can do when he fights people in his own book. He has held his own against Zeus (who just wrecked Hulk) he has defeated Galactus, the Midgard serpent, Silver Surfer, Thanos, Adam Warlock.....and many more. Writers just never use his fully outside of his own book. Case in point his fight with Rulk. He had the Odinforce he should have wrecked him but Marvel wanted to show how bad this new Hulk was so they had him beat Thor. Thor should never lose to any Hulk he has way to much power and Skill.

#22 Posted by PowerHerc (85085 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zjun:
It's because the show's creators use Thor improperly as a punching bag to present whatever villain the Avengers are facing as a real bad-ass.   
If they depicted Thor with his previously demonstrated (in comics) power levels, there wouldn't really be much need for the other Avengers most of the time.   

So, essentially, they use Thor as a jobber to build the villains up and keep a lot of the other Avengers relevant.
#23 Posted by seekquaze (616 posts) - - Show Bio

PowerHerc is pretty much correct.  Like Superman was to some extent Thor is often used to show how big the new threat his.  Most people think gods are powerful (which Thor) is so when you combine Hulk-level strength with lightning  beating him shows how tough the new character is.  This has happened in comics unfortunately quite a lot in the last few years in relation to Thor and the Hulk. 

The second is mega powerful characters like Thor and Superman tend to get their powers downplayed in team settings.  In the micro episodes Thor defeats the Wrecking Crew with relative ease and still has enough strength left to fight frost giants and Loki.  After the break out he speaks of the Wrecking Crew as some sort of dangerous foe even he has serious trouble with.  This can be found in comics whenever Thor deals with a galactic level threat on his own, but with the Avengers needs their help.  During the first Secret War he used a lightning attack that nearly defeated 99% of the villain army on his own.  

The third reason I think is the writers themselves prefer the underdog especially the head writer of this series..  For many, Thor is a bland character due to being so powerful and almost too perfect.  He has everything going for him.  So to see someone like Hulk be the hero of the day portrays the underdog in a good light.  This at least seems to be the case with head writer Chris Yost.  He most famous works tends to be about Wolverine and the X-Men.  The animated stories of late where Thor has either served as a punching bag or has a poor portrayal next to the Hulk were either written by him or had the input of him and his writing partner Craig Kyle.

#24 Posted by Susanoo (5909 posts) - - Show Bio
@seekquaze said:
"

PowerHerc is pretty much correct.  Like Superman was to some extent Thor is often used to show how big the new threat his.  Most people think gods are powerful (which Thor) is so when you combine Hulk-level strength with lightning  beating him shows how tough the new character is.  This has happened in comics unfortunately quite a lot in the last few years in relation to Thor and the Hulk.   The second is mega powerful characters like Thor and Superman tend to get their powers downplayed in team settings.  In the micro episodes Thor defeats the Wrecking Crew with relative ease and still has enough strength left to fight frost giants and Loki.  After the break out he speaks of the Wrecking Crew as some sort of dangerous foe even he has serious trouble with.  This can be found in comics whenever Thor deals with a galactic level threat on his own, but with the Avengers needs their help.  During the first Secret War he used a lightning attack that nearly defeated 99% of the villain army on his own.    The third reason I think is the writers themselves prefer the underdog especially the head writer of this series..  For many, Thor is a bland character due to being so powerful and almost too perfect.  He has everything going for him.  So to see someone like Hulk be the hero of the day portrays the underdog in a good light.  This at least seems to be the case with head writer Chris Yost.  He most famous works tends to be about Wolverine and the X-Men.  The animated stories of late where Thor has either served as a punching bag or has a poor portrayal next to the Hulk were either written by him or had the input of him and his writing partner Craig Kyle.

"

Qft.
#25 Posted by warlord1234 (1269 posts) - - Show Bio

Being a god has nothing to do with your power level is more about your role and nature.
#26 Posted by Zaiyan (461 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadow_Thief said:
" Thor also seems to serve a similar purpose on the Avengers team that Wolverine does for the X-Men: namely, getting clobbered by the villain to demonstrate how dangerous he is. I'm going to get super-geeky and say that if the Avengers was a party in a MMORPG, Thor would usually wind up being the tank. "
he's sometimes  a punch bag
#27 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: @SC: @Zjun said:

In EARTH"S MIGHTIEST HEROES AVENGERS tv show series, in most of the episodes thor gets beatin up and then he gains the upperhand over his enemies...Why is that?! He's a god, isn't he

Perception of the Gods

He's VERY VERY UNDERrated

#28 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@virgin4life said:

why do some people argue that thor could beat superman when the hulk regularly humiliates thor?

Thor holds back a lot.

#29 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7987 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the pen is mightier than the sword. If you catch my drift.

#30 Posted by sinestro_GL (3251 posts) - - Show Bio

Because, like most comic-book stories...it would be very boring if Thor just killed all the evil in the world in two seconds.

#31 Posted by grevous11 (360 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC actually i'm fairly certain that parents don't beat up their kids because it's sick and wrong. also illegal.

#32 Posted by SC (13235 posts) - - Show Bio
@grevous11:  On my planet, its legal and encouraged. Like caramel dragons and pink taffy clouds.  
#33 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is property of Marvel, and not D.C.

#34 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightwing91 said:

Because the show would be kind of lame if Thor just stomped every body in his way.

Right. Which leads us back to the original question. Why dumb the character down for the sake of everyone else? The Avengers could probably handle half their enemies without Thor. Why not only call on him when they really need him?

#35 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malevolent1 said:

@nightwing91 said:

Because the show would be kind of lame if Thor just stomped every body in his way.

Right. Which leads us back to the original question. Why dumb the character down for the sake of everyone else? The Avengers could probably handle half their enemies without Thor. Why not only call on him when they really need him?

Because not that many like Thor compared to someone like Superman.

#36 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99: Yeah, but Superman doesn't appear regularly in Marvel features.

#37 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malevolent1 said:

@majestic99: Yeah, but Superman doesn't appear regularly in Marvel features.

That's not the point. One's popularity determines how powerful they are(for the most part). Whenever Superman fights someone, logic goes out the windwow and he alwasy wins(think about Superman vs Darkseid, Darkseid should stomp, but loses because of PIS).

#38 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33921 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87:

It's only 2 pages, are you serious?

#40 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33921 posts) - - Show Bio
@majestic99 said:

@spiderbat87:

It's only 2 pages, are you serious?

It's a year old thread with only two pages about a pointless subject that's been covered in other threads 
#41 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87:

1. 1 year old thread

2. People bump threads all the time, there's nothing we can do about it

#42 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33921 posts) - - Show Bio
@majestic99 said:

@spiderbat87:

1. 1 year old thread

2. People bump threads all the time, there's nothing we can do about it

That's what I said, it's a year old thread and there is plenty to do about it, like saying "hay stop bumping pointless old threads"
#43 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87:

Agreed.

#44 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Popularity, I'm sure, had a lot to do with Superman's win, for example, over Thor in the DC/Marvel crossover. I understand that entirely. Kurt Busiek, a known Superman fan, and someone who has outright confessed, he doesn't get Thor, was the one who over saw the JLA/Avengers crossover. I know for a fact that contributed largely, like Superman's mainstream popularity and notoriety as a a household name, to his win in the comic book. I think a lot of people get that.

That still doesn't mean he should've won in the fashion he did. Hell, I've even seen Superman fans, with regard to the crossover go, "Geez, I'm a Superman fan. I didn't expect Superman to just mop the floor with him".

And yes, in the main stream of things, is this an important subject? Nah. But, amongst comic geeks, what is personally important to discuss, is simply a matter of taste. To me, it makes more sense to bump an already existing thread to discuss an old tired subject (like this one), than to create a new one on the same subject. Stan Lee is gone. Jim Shooter is gone. Walt Simonson does not write Thor anymore. J Michael Stracynski doesn't write Thor anymore.

However, it has been an off on hobby of mine for years. And when the issue of who is the most this, that or the other among superheroes, and someone says, "Well, Thor's power is all in his hammer", or "There is no limit to Hulk's strength...", or whatever, I feel compelled to add something. What's wrong with that? People here may not feel strongly enough to voice their opinion, but maybe they are on who is the more skilled combatant, Captain America or Batman. So what? It's fun to talk about, its' fun to debate, and when political factors like popularity, or writer bias enters the discussion, it fuels the fire. Thor, along with others, is a favorite character of mine from child hood. As to why I am so strongly compelled to defend what I perceive as the truth (yes, I did say perceive), I don't know. I'll consult my shrink and get back to you on that one. In the mean time, I enjoy sharing my perspective on the subject and feel compelled to educate anyone who is blatantly misinformed. Perhaps, one day (or not), it will change how the character is written and return him to his glory years.

Another question, is why do people get bent out of shape over people who do want to discuss the subject civilly? Rarely have I seen on this site, people who just get out of control and start bashing others for their opinions. Most people around here seem to discuss a variety of subjects, including this one, rather reasonably. If I see a subject that does not interest me, I simply move on to the next. I don't go from thread to thread, and go, "Gee, why are you discussing that old tired subject?" My response is, "Why do you care? If people can discuss the subject civilly, what difference does it make?"

I DO know that some current writer's frequent some comic site's. Largely, it is to discuss some upcoming project. Some, read a little more closely than that. Kevin Grievoux visited another site a few months ago and it was nice to get the writer's perspective on certain characters (personally, I tend to agree with a lot of what Grievoux has to say about a lot on the subject of comics in general). I know Busiek knows Thor fans are PISSED about the JLA/Avengers crossover because he related comments they made on web sites like this one. Who knows, if enough people express their perspective about the character, maybe they will change how they write the character. You never know.

I've been on many comic sites like this one. I don't know of ONE that has not had numerous discussions like this one. Is it an old subject? Yep. Is it the last time it will ever be brought up? Nope.

Bottom line, if people can discuss an old tired subject like this one in a reasonable manner, why not let them? And certainly, don't put people down for discussing them in that manner.

#45 Posted by Thorgoki (36 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:

@cattlebattle said:
Being a god is a birth right, not a title really. Sorcerer Supreme is a title. Thor is a god and he has the powers of a god. Just they write him so poorly now. 
#46 Posted by EuanDewar (21 posts) - - Show Bio

He's no Based God

#47 Posted by Billy Batson (58152 posts) - - Show Bio

@EuanDewar said:

He's no Based God

#48 Posted by Thorgoki (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't make him less of a god though. 
@Malevolent1 - great post. I agree, we should all just write Marvel and tell them we want to see Thor using his potential, even it means they have to write him off in some other place. Then they can have Thor wtfroflpwn people while he isn't just beating the crap out of Hulk/Superman. Although I'd love to see him win against Superman though. 

#49 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thorgoki said:

Doesn't make him less of a god though. @Malevolent1 - great post. I agree, we should all just write Marvel and tell them we want to see Thor using his potential, even it means they have to write him off in some other place. Then they can have Thor wtfroflpwn people while he isn't just beating the crap out of Hulk/Superman. Although I'd love to see him win against Superman though.
#50 Posted by lanebad6 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

@Theworldbreaker: don't forget about the one where ultimate thor and hulk go at it, thor loses but how does hulk pick up something that is enchanted. Pisses me off

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.