Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor in the movies and depiction.

• 95 results
    xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#51  Edited By xxxddd

@arnoldoaad said:

the point is not that Thor in the movies is underpowered, is that Thor in comics is overpowered

How is comics Thor overpowered?

Asagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Asagod

@arnoldoaad said:

the point is not that Thor in the movies is underpowered, is that Thor in comics is overpowered

No, he is not. He's underpowered in both comics and movies.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By arnoldoaad

@xxxddd said:

@arnoldoaad said:

How is comics Thor overpowered?

Cause he has teleportation

so the movie version is just the right amount of power

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By xxxddd

@Pyrogram said:

@arnoldoaad: Yer man, a GOD being overpowered.

Again, how is comics Thor overpowered?

@arnoldoaad said:

That doesn't mean he's overpowered.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By Pyrogram

@xxxddd said:

@Pyrogram said:

@arnoldoaad: Yer man, a GOD being overpowered.

Again, how is comics Thor overpowered?

@arnoldoaad said:

That doesn't mean he's overpowered.

Exactly.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Pyrogram

@arnoldoaad: and comic thor cannot teleport any more.

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TheGodofThunder

Thor was shown to be the most powerful in Avengers. They showed he was a very capable fighter even without his hammer and his strength was comparable to Hulk's. Thor used only one arm to catch Hulks arm. Had Thor been going all out, Hulk would be toast. Imagine that first bit of the fight where thor dodged Hulks blows with ease and was basically smacking him around with little jabs. Now Imagine that scene, but with lightning and the hammer. Thor was not weak compared to the rest. He took down Two serpents with just lightning. No one else on that team could do that.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Pyrogram said:

Lol, in that case what is the problem?

spiderpool94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By spiderpool94

Loki was used as a punch bag toward the end of Avengers. Besides that though it was all good.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By xxxddd

@Pyrogram said:

@arnoldoaad said:

Lol, in that case what is the problem?

Yes he can.

Classic and Modern Thor are one in the same.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Pyrogram

@xxxddd: Thor cannot? He lost that power?

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By xxxddd

@Pyrogram said:

@xxxddd: Thor cannot? He lost that power?

He only lost the power of time travel.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Pyrogram

@xxxddd: Thats the one, thanks

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By xxxddd

@Pyrogram: Your welcome.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By Deranged Midget

For the most part, I liked how he was represented yes. Hemsworth was a good choice for Thor, but I found that he was extremely under-used in the Avengers. Actually, for the most part, he felt quite under-powered.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Vitality

I liked it. I like how the Avengers movie showed his physical strength. Ironman...even at 400% power...could barely hold his own with Thor. The fight with Hulk on the carrier...Thor held his own against a Hulk trying to kill...while Thor was obviously holding back.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Pyrogram

@Deranged Midget: I guess he was under used, but it would have been boring to non-thor fans otherwise I think.@Vitality: I agree with this all.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Pyrogram: Boring? How so? To me, he was extremely toned down in terms of power. I don't see Warner doing the same with Superman nor did Marvel weaken the Hulk. It just didn't seem to do Thor justice.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Pyrogram

@Deranged Midget: When you put it like that, It makes complete sense.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By bigcimmerian

I like and dislike movie Thor, he is potrayed very well, but he is too weak compared to comics.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By xxxddd

@BigCimmerian: @Deranged Midget: You mean like the fact he can only blast people with lightning?

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By bigcimmerian

@xxxddd said:

@BigCimmerian: @Deranged Midget: You mean like the fact he can only blast people with lightning?

Yes and no, he was physically much weaker than in comics. One punch from Hulk shouldn't draw blood from Thor. He couldn't teleport without Heimdall, he was struggling to break that SHIELD's cell etc. In his own movie I think that Thor was better than in Avengers.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By xxxddd

@BigCimmerian: That Heimdall scene was the stupidest part of the entire movie.

@xxxddd said:

Stupidest part in the Thor movie was how Thor needed Heimdall could teleport, Thor already has the power of teleportation.

And for those who think Thor can't teleport. Well,

By swinging his hammer in a circle, Thor can open up portals that allow him to traverse space and time, shown as how he travels from Earth to Asgard and vice versa, from Journey Into Mystery #103.

No Caption Provided

Thor's hammer transcends both space and time, from Thor #393.

No Caption Provided

Here, he sends the Masters of Evil through a space warp in Avengers #7.

No Caption Provided

Thor can also transport large objects. Here, he teleports an entire nuclear power plant away and its foundations to a dead world in Thor #393.

Thor can appear in the universe or entire dimensions WITHIN MOMENTS, from Fantastic Four #339.

and Thor #166.

Mjolnir's teleportive range is also virtually limitless. Here, he transports the possessed Warriors Three from the edge of the universe back to Asgard in Thor #185.

No Caption Provided

And if that's a little vague, the narration here specifically tells us Thor teleports millions of light years away, from Fantastic Four #338.

No Caption Provided

Mjolnir can also teleport between dimensions. Here, Thor sends innocent bystanders to Limbo to fight Durok the Demolisher alone in Thor #192.

No Caption Provided

While traveling at "a speed that is far greater than light," mjolnir creates a infinity vortex that teleports Kang the Conquerer and his time machine to a location outside time, from Thor #140.

No Caption Provided

Mjolnir could also transport several people to several different locations simultaneously, from Avengers #70.

No Caption Provided

Here he travels to Dormammu's Dark Dimension in Thor Annual #9.

No Caption Provided

Here, Mjolnir opens up a portal to the Negative Zone in Avengers #309.

No Caption Provided

Thor teleports the Destroyer Armor light years away(after Thor nearly gets killed by it), from Thor vol. 2 #2.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for omegathedestroyer
    OmegaTheDestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hemsworth plays him wonderfully

He is depicted to be quite underpowered to my liking I would have to say.

And I want more helmet.

TheDude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By TheDude123

He makes a good Thor but he does not get nearly big enough as far as muscularity nor lean enough as far as bodyfat %.are concerned.

I also like his power level and limited, Ulltimate-universe-type, Mjolnir-based abilities in the movies.

Avatar image for fernando072295reborn
    Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's disgusting to see him job to his inferiors just so they can look good. The avengers movie to me was like a sunday morning cartoon tbh It was entertaining enough, but I don't plan on watching it...ever again lol. *shrug* I don't judge anyone who did like it, becauselike I said it had plenty of action and not everyone is as extremist about Thor as I am thankfully, but since I am, I had a hard time enjoying it. I guarantee you no one would have thought it was as funny if Thor had just cheap shot Hulk, like Hulk did Thor. But ah well.

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By cmartin

@Fernando072295REBORN:

this..... thor is treated like a dumb character no respect......

he is the mighty thor.. a god yet he is happy slapped like a fool.. by hulk cant wait to see how they will humiliate him in part 2.....

Avatar image for fernando072295reborn
    Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmartin: For real dude. Is it honestly so bad to just let Thor get his licks in outside of the comicverse on Hulk? I mean damn, hulk TAS, Hulk vs Thor, Ultimate Avengers, Avengers Earth's mightiest heroes season 1 & 2, avengers movie, all have Hulk either beating Thor or gaining a noticeable edge on him. It's ridiculous.

I

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By cmartin

makes me super angry.... i mean its like marvel has no regard for thor fans...... one time out of 5 it would be nice to see thor win......

i actually dislike hulk..... very one dimensional character, he should not be allowed to be stronger than a god

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Crom-Cruach

I personally find that most depictions of Thor, the movies included don't do him justice. Few mediums give us the Thor we should get

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#81  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

@Asagod said:

Many people use the fact that Hulk defeated Loki in 3 seconds to say that Hulk was better than Thor. But what most people forget is the fact that when fighting against Thor, Loki has had the scepter; and when Loki fought against Hulk, he didn't had it. Loki was also probably stunned, for he did fell after the explosion of Hawkeye's arrow. Another point is that Thor was clearly holding back against both Iron Man and Loki. Thor also held back against the Hulk, he tried to talk with Banner but fight him.

I don't think he is holding back when he fights against Ironman and Hulk.

At scene where Thor fighting Iron Man, and he grabbed Ironman Wrists....his facial expression shows that he is quite struggle while grabbing Ironman wrist ( At that time i was like, What?! Thor has trouble bending Alloy now?)

Besides, When he fought the Hulk, He uses 2 hands just to block Hulk's incoming punch?...and he shown sign of struggle too...that doesn't looks like a man who trying to hold back.

If you were trying to hold back during a fight, you will need to let your opponent knows that you have mercy on him, hope that he will know he is no match, and just stop fighting.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By cmartin

@GodDamnIronMan said:

@Asagod said:

Many people use the fact that Hulk defeated Loki in 3 seconds to say that Hulk was better than Thor. But what most people forget is the fact that when fighting against Thor, Loki has had the scepter; and when Loki fought against Hulk, he didn't had it. Loki was also probably stunned, for he did fell after the explosion of Hawkeye's arrow. Another point is that Thor was clearly holding back against both Iron Man and Loki. Thor also held back against the Hulk, he tried to talk with Banner but fight him.

At scene where Thor fighting Iron Man, and he grabbed Ironman Wrists....his facial expression shows that he is quite struggle while grabbing Ironman wrist ( At that time i was like, What?! Thor has trouble bending Alloy now?)

Besides, When he fought the Hulk, He uses 2 hands just to block Hulk's incoming punch?...and he shown sign of struggle too...that doesn't looks like a man who trying to hold back.

If you were trying to hold back during a fight, you will need to let your opponent knows that you have mercy on him, hope that he will know he is no match, and just stop fighting.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

True

hulk smashed him, he struggled with iron man......

also how can a hammer which smashed the rainbow bridge.... and caused earthquakes and tidal waves be blocked but captain America's shield and arm,?? lest say yes the shield is indestructible, but his arm shouldnt be able to block such a blow.

and hulk embarassed thor...... marvel are soooooooooooooooo biased to hulk even though they made hulk beat up thor in the helcarrier, the still made hulk silly punch him after..... thor was the joke character.....

did i mention how much i hate marvel

Asagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Asagod

@GodDamnIronMan said:

@Asagod said:

In the fight against Iron Man, he clearly held back. When Captain America arrived, Thor punched Iron Man with Mjolnir and, Knocked him out. When he smashes Iron Man's Armor Wrists, his face shows anger and not "trouble".

• He was trying to talk with Hulk.
    • He didn't blasted Hulk with lightnings.
    • Just look at Thor's face after Hulk's punch. He's not showing to be admired with Hulk's strength.
    Asagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Asagod

@cmartin said:

@GodDamnIronMan said:

@Asagod said:

True

also how can a hammer which smashed the rainbow bridge.... and caused earthquakes and tidal waves be blocked but captain America's shield and arm,?? lest say yes the shield is indestructible, but his arm shouldnt be able to block such a blow.

His arm would obviously resist. The movie version of Captain America's shield deflectes all heat and kinetic force:

Jump to 1min 10sec (when Iron Man blasts Captain America's shield).

@cmartin said:

True

and hulk embarassed thor...... marvel are soooooooooooooooo biased to hulk even though they made hulk beat up thor in the helcarrier, the still made hulk silly punch him after..... thor was the joke character.....

did i mention how much i hate marvel

The fight didn't ended, so there's no winner here.

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#85  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

@Asagod said:

@GodDamnIronMan said:

@Asagod said:

In the fight against Iron Man, he clearly held back. When Captain America arrived, Thor punched Iron Man with Mjolnir and, Knocked him out. When he smashes Iron Man's Armor Wrists, his face shows anger and not "trouble".

• He was trying to talk with Hulk.
    • He didn't blasted Hulk with lightnings.
    • Just look at Thor's face after Hulk's punch. He's not showing to be admired with Hulk's strength.

Sorry, but I am going to disagree.

If his intention is to stop Iron Man from fighting him, he could just tear the armor apart, that wouldn't hurt Tony. If not, He could just quickly overpowered IM when he 1st grabbed his wrist. I think if Thor is that strong in the movie, he could just put him down instantly (I guess a Grown Adult wouldn't have much trouble to make a child stop fighting)

He can lightning strikes Hulk, cuz that will hurts everyone on board...I am sure he didn't have the Pin Point Accuracy (He didn't show feat) The Hulk did makes him bleed after the punch. Anyway, He still using 2 hands to block hulk's punch, that shows that he is not strong enough to handle Hulk.

Although in Thor Solo movie, he did showed some amazing feats such as he travels to Jotunheim to fight with the frost giants....that is the best action scene in the whole movie.

Enjoy :)

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By selinaky

The Jotunheim seen is the most awesome and powerful Thor showing in any of the movies, in my opinion. It's especially cool when he spins Mjolnir.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Pyrogram

So he can stop hulk with 2 hands but struggles with iron mans wrist? true story bro.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By 80sBaby

He didn't "struggle" with Ironman. He was casually crusing his armor with one-hand. Cap blocking him wasn't a low showing, either. And he had a good showing against Hulk in the Hellicarrier. Hulk stronger and Thor's more powerful. That's the way it's always been and ever shall be.

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By cmartin

@GodDamnIronMan: weak.. no strength... all hammer ...... the fighting looked gabage...... thor was put on his bck easily

garbage movie

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Pyrogram

@cmartin: I would not say that.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Pyrogram

@80sBaby: this, How can people say he struggles vs iron man.

sommyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By sommyt

@Pyrogram: his strength has been insulted my only concern and he is reall y not that big just tall

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TheGodofThunder

Everyone needs to watch the thor/hulk fight again. He catches hulks arm with ONE hand and then puts the other arm over top of Hulks arm. He used only ONE hand to block Hulks punch. It is clear as day!

No Caption Provided
    Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Pyrogram

@GodDamnIronMan: Very nice post

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Pyrogram

@sommyt said:

@Pyrogram: his strength has been insulted my only concern and he is reall y not that big just tall

I did not mind, the actor was fine so its rather that than a large guy who is bad at acting personally.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.