Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jorgevy

I have this question after seeing every movie except for Avengers which is still not out in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Does Thor have the same powers as in the comics? or he is close to Ultimate Thor (only has his powers with belt+mjolnir)? because I know he is turned into a mortal in the beggining of the movie but then he gains mjolnir and becomes an imortal again with all abilities he was supposed to have. But is Thor of the MCU capable of doing the same feats he can in the comics without Mjolnir and without being turned into a mortal by Odin? I know the movie didnt really expained/showed this that's why Im curious. Probably gonna have to wait for the Avengers/Thor 2 to get this answered

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

I think it's still early to tell. In early Thor stories (616), he was turned back into a mortal if he didnt have access to his hammer after a minute. It seems like they've left that out of the movies, but Thor hasn't really shown superhuman powers when he was stripped of his hammer in the movie. I guess you could argue that he still has super strength on the count of that one scene where he knocked out all of those SHIELD agents, but that just could have been because of his unique fighting style.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jorgevy

@Gambit1024: in that scene he didnt look like he had super strenght, maybe a bit of enhanced strenght, but I donno about super strenght.

and that's kinda the point, when he didnt have the hammer he also didnt had his powers because he was in his mortal form as Odin's punishment. What I wonder is if he while in asgardian form still has the same abilities he would have in comics w/out mjolnir

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Loki9876

I think Odin took his powers, not only his hammer, in normal cases he has his powers whitout the hammer (I think) Odin says in his speech: ... and I take away your power...

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jorgevy

@Loki9876: good catch, now that I remember he does say that. I just checked the scene when he gets his hammer back in the movie and he gets hurt which means he definitly didnt have his powers and then when he is deemed worthy a lightning strikes and he gets his armor back too and his wounds are repaired. So now Im presuming that this means he also gets his powers back. Still not sure if he has them without mjolnir but I will assume that yes he does

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By PowerHerc

He should but we'll have to wait an see to be sure.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#7  Edited By TheCannon

He is closer to 616 Thor. The reasoning is the origin, with the frost giants and being banished to Earth. However, it is changed from the comics, where when he was banished to Earth, he became a "lame" mortal Donald Blake. He found his hammer in Europe and later regained his memories.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.