Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

THOR Has Swords!

• 90 results
    bamaboykmb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By bamaboykmb

in the Marvel Now Spoiler you may notice Thor has two swords on his back so I'm wondering how he can use them and Mijlnior(is this spelled right) maybe he'll pull a Zolo

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Kallarkz

he would clip Mjolnir to his belt...take out the swords...and then use them.... 
    Unnecessary perhaps...but it would be interesting to see a change in his fighting style to be honest.

bamaboykmb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bamaboykmb

so theres no hope of him pulling a zolo?

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Nudeviking

@bamaboykmb said:

Did Cable or any member of X-Force use three guns, an assault knife and a hand grenade at the same time in the 90s? Does Deadpool do it now?

He'll use swords or use a hammer or use one sword and a hammer, or there will be the scene where someone other than Thor (Captain America I'm looking at you buddy) uses one or both of Thor's swords for some reason.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By z3ro180

the costumes are ok i dount like what there doing thors metal disc things and the swords other than its ok....but whats wrong with his current one cause that one is awesome.

OmegaRed86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OmegaRed86

Why would Thor use Katanas when he has one of the greatest weapons in the Marvel universe and his own fists could shatter mountains. Seems pointless and lame.

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheGodofThunder

I think marvel has put the final nail in thor's coffin. I don't see this ending well for him.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dernman

Those are his twin Phoenix swords. :p

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dernman
     Caps new costume. :p
    Avatar image for spiderman20991992
    spiderman20991992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Dernman:

haha my thoughts exactly! they all look pretty ridiculous!

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Brit

Quesada is an asshole..

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By z3ro180

@spiderman20991992: i disagree with you a little bit Caps, Spiderman, Iron man costumes are pretty badass. Thors looks ok but need to wait to get a better view dount really see the pouint in him haveing swords if he has one of the most powerful weapons ever made still the coupiel/current costume is badass i dount know why they would change it. Wolverines is pretty much the same this goes the same for sue. But the rest sucks i really dount see the pouint in hulk haveing armor.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Lvenger

@OmegaRed86 said:

Why would Thor use Katanas when he has one of the greatest weapons in the Marvel universe and his own fists could shatter mountains. Seems pointless and lame.

Seconded.

Avatar image for henryarguelles5
    henryarguelles5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By henryarguelles5

The swords seem superfluous. Maybe they can get Liefeld to add some belts and pouches too.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 2chimcha3

Although the swords do seem kinda pointless, I do have to admit that he looks pretty cool.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By z3ro180

@sagejonathan: i miss the cape :(

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By BatteredArmor

@bamaboykmb said:

Awwwww :(

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGodofThunder

Thor without his cape=fail. I really dont like heroes with capes, but with thor it was different. It was like a sign of his royalty. Now he just looks like a regular street level hero which is probably what they'll turn him into since he has been on a decline power-wise since after JMS left. And why the "t" on the belt. The rune for strength was a genius idea to use as a belt buckle. I just fear the thor we know and love and desperately want back is gone for good. I know thats a lot of speculation from one picture, but Marvel is just screwing everything up lately.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Adnan

...is it weird that I like Cyclop's new mask thing? It probably is the goofiest lookin thing in that whole image, but for some reason I still like it.

Enyalios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Enyalios

First, Marvel needs to do their homework. The runic "T" is actually the sign for Tyr, not Thor. Thor looks more like a runic "P".

Second, if he has the swords, he better use them once in a while. I am not opposed to this idea, as it will hopefully dispell the myth that Thor does not know how to fight (one of the best parts of the Avengers Movie in regards to Thor was that he did most of his one on one fighting without Mjolnir). When I saw the broken hammer for that whole "This means War" promo, I was kind of hoping it would mean Thor would lose Mjolnir for a little bit, as it would give his character the opportunity to grow some and display some of his other powers and skills. It also gets ride of the Donald Blake persona, which in my view is the weakest part of the whole characterization.

Third, Thor's helmet needs a redesign. It looks like something Hermes would wear. Go back to the original or make it look more Norse or Saxon and less Greek.

As for why does he need two swords? Well, if you read the myths, Thor actually has other weapons he uses, to include a staff, so its not entirely out of the realm of possibility that he would use something else. Maybe he just wants an alternative for when he does not need to turn something into an electrified puddle.

And Hulk needs armor about as much as Thor does, which is not at all (I remember all those arguments coming out when Thor's costume redesign was first presented), but for Thor it makes sense from an asthetic standpoint. He is a war god, afterall. Hulk it just seems silly, especially the color. He looks like the Green Goblin on steroids.

No the more disturbing part of this whole picture is what looks like a black Nick Fury making its way to the main 616 universe, most likely to capitolize on the film successes of Samuel L. Jackson's take on the character. If they wanted to do something like that there was already a character in G. W. Bridge that could have been set up the same way. Already a high ranking agent of SHIELD, already black, and already a cool character. Being Puerto Rican, I understand the desire for diversity in comics, but changing already established character's race for the sake of it to me implies that an already made Black (or hispanic or whatever) character cannot be built up on his own but instead must take on the mantle of an already established white character to be successful. In a word I find it insulting.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cloudzackvincent

@Enyalios: that's Marcus Johnson.. not Nick Fury

Enyalios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Enyalios
    @cloudzackvincent: Did not know about that character...of course he is Nick Fury's son reading up on him..and now he is Nick Fury Jr. so most of what I said still applies. I mean how much of a coincidence can it be to have been a ranger, just like your unknown father, have your eye gouged out, same eye no less, as your father, and have the same formula that allowed your father to live injected into your blood and now he does not have it (which likely means the original is probably going to be killed off soon).
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By z3ro180

@Enyalios:

I like thors new helmet and his belt but i dount like his swords but but i think i can get behind the new costume but they need to lower the metal dics a bit..better yet just keep his current costume.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @OmegaRed86 said:

What indication is there, that they are Katanas? 
    OmegaRed86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OmegaRed86

@Enyalios said:

First, Marvel needs to do their homework. The runic "T" is actually the sign for Tyr, not Thor. Thor looks more like a runic "P".

Second, if he has the swords, he better use them once in a while. I am not opposed to this idea, as it will hopefully dispell the myth that Thor does not know how to fight (one of the best parts of the Avengers Movie in regards to Thor was that he did most of his one on one fighting without Mjolnir). When I saw the broken hammer for that whole "This means War" promo, I was kind of hoping it would mean Thor would lose Mjolnir for a little bit, as it would give his character the opportunity to grow some and display some of his other powers and skills. It also gets ride of the Donald Blake persona, which in my view is the weakest part of the whole characterization.

Third, Thor's helmet needs a redesign. It looks like something Hermes would wear. Go back to the original or make it look more Norse or Saxon and less Greek.

As for why does he need two swords? Well, if you read the myths, Thor actually has other weapons he uses, to include a staff, so its not entirely out of the realm of possibility that he would use something else. Maybe he just wants an alternative for when he does not need to turn something into an electrified puddle.

And Hulk needs armor about as much as Thor does, which is not at all (I remember all those arguments coming out when Thor's costume redesign was first presented), but for Thor it makes sense from an asthetic standpoint. He is a war god, afterall. Hulk it just seems silly, especially the color. He looks like the Green Goblin on steroids.

No the more disturbing part of this whole picture is what looks like a black Nick Fury making its way to the main 616 universe, most likely to capitolize on the film successes of Samuel L. Jackson's take on the character. If they wanted to do something like that there was already a character in G. W. Bridge that could have been set up the same way. Already a high ranking agent of SHIELD, already black, and already a cool character. Being Puerto Rican, I understand the desire for diversity in comics, but changing already established character's race for the sake of it to me implies that an already made Black (or hispanic or whatever) character cannot be built up on his own but instead must take on the mantle of an already established white character to be successful. In a word I find it insulting.

Good post.

Danvidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Danvidar

Y

No Caption Provided

Glad to see Thor has his cape in this one, but why a completly different design of the armour and lack of swords in this image compared to the Marvel Now promo?

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By htb106

this makes sense because of the whole "warrior god of thunder" thing.

I think he's some sort of warrior god anyway...

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@htb106 said:

I think he's some sort of warrior god anyway...

Technically, per real world mythology. Tyr and Odin are the ones with the titles of War God. But Thor is basically their nuclear weapon, wreaking stuff left and right (like a force of nature or a cataclysm)

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By z3ro180

@Danvidar said:

Y

No Caption Provided

Glad to see Thor has his cape in this one, but why a completly different design of the armour and lack of swords in this image compared to the Marvel Now promo?

dear christ i hope this isnt his new costume cause it sucks

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tyrus

This is just Marvel trying to make their comics relate to the movies...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

I'm guessing the swords are there for decoration.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kidchipotle

Unsure how I feel about this whole thing, let alone how they look.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By agent9149

GOOD. he needs to get better fighting techniques other than swinging a hammer around the place, it gets old fast

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Looks like something Rob Liefeld would draw.

No Caption Provided
    KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KnightRise

@Vance Astro said:

@OmegaRed86 said:

What indication is there, that they are Katanas?

There isnt any. Not even close to katanas.The picture of Zolo mustve thrown them off from reading through the OP

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By agent9149

I just got to thinking. Thor using swords instead of Mjo-Mjo would make more sense if he's fighting earth crime, Mjo-Mjo is a powerful weapon and I think they should revamp it as the last result weapon....there's no need for Thor to use it for every fight, when his fighting skills should be enough to take down the enemy

OmegaRed86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By OmegaRed86

Jesus, Marvel. Just retire, Thor. You're breaking my heart.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jeanroygrant

This is to frickennnnn sick!!!!!!!!!!!

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rumble Man

@Dernman said:

Is that Tebow?

TheDude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheDude123

He could:

-Tuck Mjolnir in his belt and fight with the swords.

-Fight with Mjolnir in one hand and a sword in the other.

-Use the swords as a back-up if Mjolnir is BFRed or encased in a force-field etc.

-Hold Mjolnir in his teeth (lame but possible).

-Send Mjolnir spinning around the battlefield to negate magic (or just to look cool) and then use the swords.

-Throw Mjolnir around the earth (or into outer space/another galazy) and use the swords while it is making the trip.

There are a lot of things he could do.

He looks kind of meh without his cape though and I would have preferred one sword on his hip instead though (veðrmækir :have it look like the a somewhat smaller version of way the Odinsword looked in fear itself and give it a few unique or cool abilities)

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jeanroygrant

Why does Hulk look so damn big??

Yeah he was bigger than Thor, Thor weighing 650 pounds, and him weighing 1000, but woow he looks wayy bigger.

I'm loving the swords Thor has, and they should keep some of Thor's current chain armour parts though, just some, and please give Thor the respect he needs and deserves.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dernman
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Mercy_

Ugh

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Mercy_

@Enyalios said:

While I definitely agree with this sentiment, that's not actually Nick Fury. It's Marcus Johnson/Nick Fury Jr. (who is a cheap attempt to cash in and basically bring Ultimate Nick to 616)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#45  Edited By cbishop

2 things, considering there are 2 different images of Thor between the OP and the other Avengers pic that appeared in the thread: 1) Maybe they're two different Thors - did the clone that killed Black Goliath survive Civil War? and 2) Someone's mentioned it, but I could see Thor throwing the hammer, then whipping the swords out to fight while the hammer makes its circuit to target and back to Thor's hand. I don't recall him ever using a sword in any of the myths I read (or a staff, as mentioned by another person in the thread [not saying that's wrong - just that I've never read it]). He of course had his belt and his gloves, and when he lost those and the hammer, he was given some magical stand-ins until he got them back. I think the swords kind of take away from the hammer, and are unneeded, but hey, surprise me, Marvel.

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By The_Thunderer

@Z3RO180 said:

@sagejonathan: i miss the cape :(

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Thunderer

@Agent9149 said:

GOOD. he needs to get better fighting techniques other than swinging a hammer around the place, it gets old fast

Blasphemy.

@TheSwordsman said:

He could:

T-tuck Mjolnir in his belt and fight with the swords.

F-fight with Mjolnir in one hand and a sword in the other.

-Use the swords as a back-up if Mjolnir is BFRed or encased in a force-field etc.

-Hold Mjolnir in his teeth (lame but possible).

-Send Mjolnir spinning around the battlefield to negate magic (or just to look cool) and then use the swords.

-Throw Mjolnir around the earth (or into outer space/another galazy) and use the swords while it is making the trip.

There are a lot of things he could do.

He looks kind of meh without his cape though and I would have preferred one sword on his hip instead though (veðrmækir :have it look like the a somewhat smaller version of way the Odinsword looked in fear itself and give it a few unique or cool abilities)

?

@OmegaRed86 said:

Jesus, Marvel. Just retire, Thor. You're breaking my heart.

Seconded.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By agent9149

@The_Thunderer: Blasphemy? not

Thor using swords is good for writing and character, does he really need to swing mjo-mjo to take down a bunch of mercenary, leave him using Mjo for the big guys

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Thunderer

@Agent9149: im joking, he should use his weather powers more imo

Enyalios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Enyalios

@Mercy_: Yeah I commented on that above too. Did not know about the character, but it is still essentially the same thing, and therefore what I said still applies. He is even going by Fury now so its Nick Fury for all intents and purposes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.