Thor Has A Kryptonite. (Midgard Serpent Tooth)

#1 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

So if you are following Spider-Mans event "To The Ends of the Earth" you have seen the fight that the Avengers had with the Sinister Six. During this fight Thor was impaled in the back by Rhino (so sad) who had the Midgard Serpent Tooth attached to his head. Was it a cheapshot? Yes,. Could Rhino defeat Thor without this tooth? No. It did however show Thor's lack of reaction speed (Rhino yelled at him before he ran into him) and also showed us that all it takes is a being with Rhino's strength with a tooth of the Midgard Serpent to shove it all the way through Thor's body and render him immediatley unconscious and possiblly seriously wounded (though we all know he will eventually recover somehow).

I know a lot about Thor but I was not aware that the tooth is something that could easily slice through his body and have such devastating affects on him. It is however somewhat long overdue however. Thor has been able to run around the Marvel Universe with little direct weaknesses like other heavy hitters have.

#2 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7882 posts) - - Show Bio

If you destroy Mjlonir you kill him also

#3 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil said:

This & i don't know about the Midgard Serpents Teeth being a weakness.

#4 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanroygrant said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

This & i don't know about the Midgard Serpents Teeth being a weakness.

It went right through his armor and body and came out of his chest. They specifically chose that item to harm him. I would call it a weakness

#5 Posted by Dernman (15813 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if it's a weakness so much as the tooth is powerful. 
Who's to say it wouldn't go through anyone equal to Thor.

#6 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

I don't know if it's a weakness so much as the tooth is powerful. Who's to say it wouldn't go through anyone equal to Thor.

I'm sure it would. The point is they have chosen something that has the ability to do so that can be used by a weaker opponent.

#7 Posted by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz:

I'm not following the event... but I think Marvel don't give a damn (despite the film) about Thor at this time.

His opponents regularly wipe the floor with him and Matt Fraction's ruining the Thor Universe

#8 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThePhoenX said:

@Kallarkz:

I'm not following the event... but I think Marvel don't give a damn (despite the film) about Thor at this time.

His opponents regularly wipe the floor with him and Matt Fraction's ruining the Thor Universe

Yeah. I tend to agree. Perhaps if enough fans voice their opinion, something will get done.

Then again, maybe not.

Eh, we can wish, right?

#9 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz: Scans?
#10 Posted by Thorgoki (37 posts) - - Show Bio
@ThePhoenX said:

@Kallarkz:

Exactly. He is everyone's punching bag right now. I don't even care to read Thor comics right now because it pisses me off. Marvel is just letting everyone beat him up like he is weak or something. It is truly sad.
#11 Posted by Hunter114 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil said:

Mjolnir has been destroyed a few times, and Thor doesn't necessarily have a symbiotic relationship with it, Mjolnir is only a focus for Thor's powers, so it's destruction shouldn't kill him (unless something changed)

Also, Thor (like all Asgardians) can be hurt and killed by certain materials and weapons that are found throughout the nine realms (except for Earth apparently) so the assumption would be that if you can find one of those materials and then fashion a weapon from it, then you could potentially kill an Asgardian.

#12 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7162 posts) - - Show Bio

the Midgard serpent's venom is deadly to all gods.

#13 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7882 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hunter114: They're symbiotic.

#14 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

So Thor fans are only reading his book to see him constantly win?

#15 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: It was Asgardian in nature, so it was more likely than not, able to harm him. You would have the same result if you hit him with the spear of Odin. Implying that it is his kryptonite insinuates that he is invulnerable to everything else, except that particular substance, which is false.

#16 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

Was more like he's weak to a particular item that can cause him excessive damage. You read way too far into it. Was to making a direct relationship with a Midgard serpent tooth and kryptonite

#17 Posted by Hunter114 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Hunter114: They're symbiotic.

Not in a way that if Mjolnir is destroyed, Thor dies too, that would just be bad writing

#18 Posted by supertank111 (99 posts) - - Show Bio

If Nam: The Supreme Being wants to destroy Thor then he can destroy Thor. Oh, and the Silver Surfer might be able to beat Thor.

#19 Posted by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

So Thor fans are only reading his book to see him constantly win?

HELL YEAAAHHHHH...! Just kidding (Maybe not) :) The problem is, currently Thor often and badly bites the dust!!!

Thor the deviant Saga : two times against the same opponent ; Avengers assemble #1 : His opponent

owned him like he was a doll... and now the Rhino!!! Waouww! Who's next? Storm?!?

#20 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7882 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hunter114: Um yeah I think it's that way

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35165 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully this tooth will wipe him from existence as well as his fanboys 

#22 Posted by Deadcool (6756 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanroygrant said:

I don't know about the Midgard Serpents Teeth being a weakness.

In the Norse Mythology the Mirgard Serpent son of Loki is the one that killed Thor with its poison.

#23 Posted by Hunter114 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil:

Mjolnir has been destroyed before though, and Thor didn't die. Plus Thor's powers don't come from Mjolnir, he can use them without it, so while they may be connected, Thor would not die if it was destroyed.

#24 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7882 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hunter114: I don't think he had the symbiotic relationship then.

#25 Posted by Saren (25131 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hunter114 said:

@Jnr6Lil:

Mjolnir has been destroyed before though, and Thor didn't die. Plus Thor's powers don't come from Mjolnir, he can use them without it, so while they may be connected, Thor would not die if it was destroyed.

Currently, if you destroy Mjolnir Thor would die. To fix the hammer after it was damaged during the fight with Bor, Dr. Strange siphoned all the remaining Odin Force from Thor, thus binding him to the hammer.

#26 Posted by Hunter114 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane:

Fair enough... thanks for the update

#27 Posted by Deadcool (6756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

It did however show Thor's lack of reaction speed

I think that it was PIS used with storytelling purposes.

#28 Posted by Deadcool (6756 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

Hopefully this tooth will wipe him from existence as well as his fanboys

=3=...

#29 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7882 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

@Hunter114 said:

@Jnr6Lil:

Currently, if you destroy Mjolnir Thor would die. To fix the hammer after it was damaged during the fight with Bor, Dr. Strange siphoned all the remaining Odin Force from Thor, thus binding him to the hammer.

See I was right

So after Fear Itself what's Marvel's event now?

#30 Posted by Hunter114 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil said:

See I was right

said:

Mjolnir has been destroyed a few times, and Thor doesn't necessarily have a symbiotic relationship with it, Mjolnir is only a focus for Thor's powers, so it's destruction shouldn't kill him (unless something changed)

Something did change, but I only saw the scan about 12 hours ago, so I was not aware... and I accepted that I was wrong, but you didn't really do anything to back your argument and even abandoned it after a while... so no bragging rights for you :P

#31 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

It's obviously a powerful weapon which is effective against Thor, but it's not exactly Kryptonite. The tooth has to actually be used in an offensive way making physical contact with Thor. Kryptonite merely has to be present to affect Superman.

#32 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by tomdickharry1984 (837 posts) - - Show Bio

If this was in Thor's book it wouldve been SPider-Man impaled,...they always sem to F#$%K up guest cameos in books. Thor in Spider-Man, uselesss! Thor in Thor: AWESOME!. Spider-MAn in Avengers: goofball idito! Spider-Man in Spoidey titles: king $#!+ with wise cracks. Stupid marvel, necxt they'll have a gay weddi...oh SNAP!

#34 Posted by SC (13409 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems more like awareness rather than reaction speed. I know Dan Slott is a huge Thor fan, I can see him having and wanting to use Thor but also having and using a convention writer trick/plot device to take Thor out as far as not influencing the story too much otherwise.  Doesn't seem like a bad showing to me or poor writing. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.