IMO Thor is the gem of Marvel Now.

#52 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

love the art in this series

#53 Posted by Pyrogram (38366 posts) - - Show Bio

@Razero said:

IMO Thor is the gem of Marvel Now.

Seconded.

#54 Posted by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Selinaky: I like "classic Thor" (I'm fond of Avengers Disassembled and Jms and Coipel's Thor too! XD) .

I'm always a little bit bothered when asgardians are almost depicted as "mere barbarians".

For me, they are not just vikings, they are the gods that vikings worshipped.

Notice it's hard to really know the Asgardians technological level...

#55 Posted by Pyrogram (38366 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThePhoenX said:

@Selinaky: I like "classic Thor" (I'm fond of Avengers Disassembled and Jms and Coipel's Thor too! XD) .

I'm always a little bit bothered when asgardians are almost depicted as "mere barbarians".

For me, they are not just vikings, they are the gods that vikings worshipped.

Notice it's hard to really know the Asgardians technological level...

True true

#56 Edited by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the cover to #9:

All of them fighting together that would be awesome.

(There's also previews out of # 6 and #7)

#57 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@selinaky said:

I love the cover to #9:

All of them fighting together that would be awesome.

(There's also previews out of # 6 and #7)

AND. IT. WAS!!! Issue #9 was one of the best single issues i've read in a while.

Also thought reviving this thread would be useful.

#58 Posted by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 and #11 should be excellent. The monthly wait is killing me!

#59 Posted by Z3RO180 (6547 posts) - - Show Bio
#60 Edited by King_Thor (96 posts) - - Show Bio

LOVING the new Thor book. 9 was excellent!

#61 Posted by Z3RO180 (6547 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Pyrogram my fellow thunder god fan lets resurrect this thread with THE THUNDER OF A THOUSAND STROMS.

#62 Posted by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

I just looked at the covers for #10 and #11 and they look spectacular as usual. It looks like next issue will feature more of King Thor vs. Gorr while the last chapter of this story will have Present Thor (wielding two Mjolnirs apparently, which looks awesome). I'm guessing that because Young Thor has yet to use Mjolnir he wont be much of a factor in the fight.

#63 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio
#64 Posted by Z3RO180 (6547 posts) - - Show Bio
#65 Edited by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

@haveatthee: we need to wait till August D:

According to Marvel's schedule, issue #10 is due in two weeks on 7/17. Issues #11 and #12 (the standalone issue where Thor returns to Earth) will be double-shipped in August. No reason to think #10 will be delayed. Considering the quality of Ribic's work, the promptness of the title's release has been quite refreshing. I'll post the next two covers for our pleasure :)

#66 Posted by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

pretty good issue... we'll see what happens in #11 ...

#67 Posted by sagejonathan (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, #10 was very awesome. I'm excited for the conclusion, and what's next for Thor.

#68 Posted by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

hopefully its released early august..

#69 Edited by frozenedge (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

Going by the cover, I was expecting old Thor to lay the smack down on Gorr but oh well, still a good issue. Can't wait for #11

#70 Posted by TheGodofThunder (598 posts) - - Show Bio
#71 Edited by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

Just finished issue #11
Best Comic series I've ever read.

For me being a Christian it resonates extremely well for me as a similar theme applies so yeah it was a near tear jerker for me.

Awesome, awesome comic. It had everything a Thor fan could ever want, it was everything a hero, no A God is supposed to be.

#72 Edited by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio

@phisigmatau: Agreed. The ending was a little confusing to me but hopefully that is addressed in the next issue. SUCH A GOOD SERIES.

#73 Posted by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

@weaponx

how did it confuse you?

I thought it was a pretty THORough depiction of what happened.

oh.. and Pheonix/Jean Grey is Cyclop's wife. back off wolverine.

#74 Edited by sagejonathan (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

Just finished #11 and it was EPIC. This is legendary writing and will be definite classic. Love this book to death and I'm excited for what's next.

#75 Posted by SOG7dc (7180 posts) - - Show Bio

Just finished issue #11

Best Comic series I've ever read.

For me being a Christian it resonates extremely well for me as a similar theme applies so yeah it was a near tear jerker for me.

Awesome, awesome comic. It had everything a Thor fan could ever want, it was everything a hero, no A God is supposed to be.

this!!!!! every other writer should take notes. this is how you tell a story. and the art.....I think its best art in comics right now and im reading superman unchained

#76 Edited by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio

@phisigmatau: I got a digital copy of it and I just felt like there was a page(s) missing? (15 minutes later) Yep, it was indeed messed up somehow. It stopped right when Thor was about to use the necrosword and his two hammers on gorr. Thor said, "It was also meant to kill them." And I was in awe of how epic those pages were but was really confused on why it seemed so short and why it ended like that. I've since finished it. Awesome.

Lol, it was pretty thorough!

And Jean/Phoenix is expressing her true feelings there, so no worries ;). Sorry Scott!

#77 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

The latest issue was amazing, no doubt. Brilliant ending to a fantastic story-line, I was in awe throughout.

And what are you two on about, @weaponx and @phisigmatau? What does Jean/Scott/Logan have to do with anything? (genuinely confused).

#78 Posted by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

O yes, found myself smiling the whole issue thorough.

#79 Posted by Fresh Prince (5148 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue #11 was nothing short of stellar

#80 Posted by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Indeed amazing, and I was also in awe through most of it with a smile on my face. As to what we were talking about, he was referring to my avatar ;).

#81 Posted by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

You lucky mofos. Have yet to get my copy. Been working like crazy. Probably will acquire one Saturday. I've heard that this is a legendary issue and ending to a legendary run. I'm trying to think way back at a finer start to a series than this. Marvel should throw big money at Aaron to remain on Thor for as long as possible (at least a Jurgens-like run).

#82 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@weaponx said:

@lykopis: Indeed amazing, and I was also in awe through most of it with a smile on my face. As to what we were talking about, he was referring to my avatar ;).

Ah! lol -- thanx for clearing that up. :)

#83 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this title so much exactly what's been missing from Thor since the Strazcynski's run (quality wise) it's been probably the best Marvel Now! title (along with Indestructible Hulk) and it's what a Thor title should be. This whole God Butcher epic is one of the greatest Thor stories ever and I've read most.

#84 Posted by frozenedge (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

I was literally smiling when I finished this issue. Especially at the end. King Thor with his granddaughters, young Thor continuing to drink and making the hammer bulge and Thor just flying around like the god of gods he turned out to be. All while reading this, I kept thinking this was a mini-series until I read the title of the next issue. Hope the rest of the series plays out just as well as the first issues have been

#85 Edited by Plax (92 posts) - - Show Bio

The artwork was amazing and truly captured the essence of the writing. I have to commend Aaron for creating such a three dimensional villain in Gorr with little subtleties to his character. I also loved the fact that throughout, we never really get an answer to how right Gorr was which is masterful storytelling. I hope the rest is as good as this.

#86 Posted by DrunkVader (794 posts) - - Show Bio

is it over?

#87 Posted by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

Just read #11 and it was an excellent and rather emotional conclusion to a great, great story arc. Can't wait to see where Aaron goes from here. Can't remember the last time I was this satisfied with a superhero title merely eleven issues in. This has to rate fairly high for the beginning to a new series.

#88 Edited by kmiller9959 (34 posts) - - Show Bio

For what it's worth, I think this is easily the best comic coming out each month, due in large part to Esad Ribic's art. Does anyone know if Ron Garney is a temp or is he taking over the book?

#89 Posted by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

Ron Garney is on for "The Accursed" arc and then Ribic is returning. Actually, Garney's preview work for issue 13 looks great.

#90 Posted by sagejonathan (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved issue 12; it was like a Thor appreciation issue with previews for the future. I'm really excited for the next arc!

#91 Posted by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll second the love for 12. Aaron has been on fire with his characterization of Thor. Sagejonathan said it best, it was like an ode to Thor and what makes him such a great hero and person, right after an 11 issue epic which depicts him as the greatest god. I can't wait for the "Accursed" arc. Aaron's finally going to bring in the Warrior's Three and Sif into the fray, and Thor's going to be traversing the Nine Realms. Sounds like loads of fun.

#92 Posted by Matepool (9 posts) - - Show Bio

HELP THOR FANS!!!
Can anyone tell me what comic was the first when Thor first appered in this costume?

#93 Edited by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

@matepool:

Volume 3 of Thor #1 by JMS and Olivier Coipel. Wrong thread for that though.

Anyway, what did everyone think of issue 13? Garney isn't nearly as great as Ribic, but the art was capable enough, especially on the larger splash pages. Aaron really knows how to set the tone for a story, as Malekith seemed very menacing and the set-up for the story was perfectly fine. His characterization is rather strong as well. Can't wait to see where he takes this.

#94 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyway, what did everyone think of issue 13? Garney isn't nearly as great as Ribic, but the art was capable enough, especially on the larger splash pages. Aaron really knows how to set the tone for a story, as Malekith seemed very menacing and the set-up for the story was perfectly fine. His characterization is rather strong as well. Can't wait to see where he takes this.

i liked it, it wasn't perfect though, because the ending to their confrontation was really abrupt and sudden, but other than that it was a great set up. Malekith feels like a true monster.

i also like that despite the clear movie inspiration, it's not limited by the release of thor 2.

#95 Posted by Matepool (9 posts) - - Show Bio
#96 Posted by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Yeah, it was a rather quick ending, but it's a reasonable one given the setup. I'm greatly intrigued at this "League of Realms" idea. A team of different characters from all the different areas of the Nine Realms, led by Thor? I'm all in. I definitely dig that Aaron wants to give Thor BIG adventures and ideas.

#97 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Yeah, it was a rather quick ending, but it's a reasonable one given the setup. I'm greatly intrigued at this "League of Realms" idea. A team of different characters from all the different areas of the Nine Realms, led by Thor? I'm all in. I definitely dig that Aaron wants to give Thor BIG adventures and ideas.

plus the exploration aspects gives aaron a lot of free space to work in :)

#98 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio
#99 Posted by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually rather keen on the "Accursed" arc. The second issue of the story was the weakest, but the latest one was fairly strong with a lot of character depth as well as a neat cliffhanger at the end. I also think that Garney's art looked the best thus far. The battle on Jotunheim should be a fun romp.

I'll also bump this thread because forgotten in the whole movie hoopla and Infinity stuff is a rather intriguing premise for the next major arc of God of Thunder. Aaron's going to explore the relationship with Roz Solomon and have Thor go against a large multinational energy corporation? Sounds awesome to me. This is new an exciting ground for the Thor mythos. Here is the solicitation for February.

"

THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #19.NOW

JASON AARON (W) • ESAD RIBIC (A/C)

Variant Cover by Milo Manara

Variant Cover by Simone Bianchi

THE LAST DAYS OF MIDGARD begin NOW!

Thor, Asgardian God of Thunder, has always fought to save his adopted home of Earth. But who can he fight when the planet itself is dying? Thor's mortal ally and environmental secret agent Roz Solomon has a few ideas. Namely the world's largest and most nefarious energy company Roxxon, and its ruthless new CEO known as "The Minotaur." Has the God of Thunder finally met his match, in the form of a multinational super-corporation? Meanwhile, many millennia ahead, a future version of Thor faces a very different battle to save what remains of the earth--a battle against the greatest villain the Marvel Universe has ever known—Galactus, the Devourer of Worlds!

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99"

Oh yea....and more importantly ESAD RIBIC IS BACK!!

#100 Posted by Plax (92 posts) - - Show Bio

@haveatthee: Definitely will be something different. Will show Thor in a completely different environment out of his comfort zone. I'm also keen to see how future Thor is depicted, how he compares to Odin and the confrontation ahead. Exciting times ahead I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.