Thor: God of Thunder #9 - Issue of The Year?

#1 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

My GOD! One of the best issues I can ever remember reading. EASILY my comic book issue of the year thus far. WOW!

Luckily someone uploaded it (because they realized the world needs to witness this issue, lol) Have a look

#2 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Aaron's entire run has been extremely underrated.

#3 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

This is easily my favourite Marvel book and quite possibly my favourite book on the market. I am always impressed after reading an issue.

#4 Posted by SOG7dc (7004 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines:

yeah I def have to agree....batman has been a close 2nd and im hoping Superman Unchained gives thor a run for his money

#5 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't get me wrong. I liked this issue and love the series but I don't see this issue as "Issue of the Year" unless you just meant your "Issue of the Year", which in that case thanks for sharing.

#6 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't get me wrong. I liked this issue and love the series but I don't see this issue as "Issue of the Year" unless you just meant your "Issue of the Year", which in that case thanks for sharing.

lol yea. I meant my issue of the year so far. Wondered if anyone agreed.

#7 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, in the short time span that he's been around, Gorr has risen to be one of Marvels most interesting, and frightening villains. His origin was extremely relatable. His intelligence and ability to carefully design successful plans in combination with his physical strength, makes him a force in my opinion. Greatest Thor villain in my opinion. Long time Thor readers, what do you think? how does he stack up to Loki?

#8 Posted by HaveAtThee (524 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines:

I don't know how underrated Aaron's run has been. It's generally been a critical success since issue #1. #9 was just the best issue of a series of stellar issues. This is easily Marvel NOW's best new series.

#9 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines:

I don't know how underrated Aaron's run has been. It's generally been a critical success since issue #1. #9 was just the best issue of a series of stellar issues. This is easily Marvel NOW's best new series.

Yeah, lol I didn't mean it literally. I just meant it in a general sort of way. I don't hear about it alot. It seems to lack popularity. But maybe its just me not being aware of the popularity it has.

#10 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

Aren't videos like that not allowed on here?

#11 Posted by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

I want 10 and 11 to be better

#12 Posted by HaveAtThee (524 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines: sales are hovering around 50,000 issues a month so it has fairly consistent readership for a solo title. Around the Internet it's been reviewed very well on all the major sites too. But I also find that people get more fired up when there is a polarizing title of issue. Debates don't often last long when people are discussing varying degrees of awesome, especially on a Thor forum.

#13 Posted by sagejonathan (1936 posts) - - Show Bio

This was definitely not the issue of the year, at least not for me. It was good but I felt that the action was all over the place which I understand, but it was too much I think. My issue of the year was definitely Green Lantern #20.

#14 Posted by HaveAtThee (524 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan: Not trying to pick on you, but "all over the place" action usually tends to happen when godlike beings decide to square off. IMO the fight was remarkably fluid for my tastes with a great balance between high-octane moments and comedic pit-stops. Considering the prior two issues were mostly all set-up, it would've been rather disappointing had there not been this amount of confrontation. I give Aaron and Ribic major props for the balancing act featuring three different Thors in the same fight each having their own voice, personality and moment within the issue.

#15 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan: Not trying to pick on you, but "all over the place" action usually tends to happen when godlike beings decide to square off. IMO the fight was remarkably fluid for my tastes with a great balance between high-octane moments and comedic pit-stops. Considering the prior two issues were mostly all set-up, it would've been rather disappointing had there not been this amount of confrontation. I give Aaron and Ribic major props for the balancing act featuring three different Thors in the same fight each having their own voice, personality and moment within the issue.

Agreed. Perfectly put.

#16 Posted by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, but i do feel the action could've been a lil more fluid

like seeing Gorr actually get whacked with the mallets

seeing Thor's flight speed crushing the asteroids as he flies by

hopefully this high level of action continues in 10 with a lil more synchronization between description and art. thats why this comic is a 9/10 instead of a 10/10 for me

oh and the Thor's lost =\

#17 Posted by HaveAtThee (524 posts) - - Show Bio

I think their loss is temporary at best. They will figure it out. The next two issues will be quite telling. I'm intensely anticipating issues 10 and 11.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.