Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8598 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor God of Thunder 1-4

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Binski

I'm a DC guy so sorry for the ignorance but with Marvel NOW I felt obligated to jump on in and I have been reading Thor God of Thunder among a couple other good titles and this has been one of my fav comics of the NOW launch and it got me into Thor(the movie helped) which I never was before. My question is, is there any older or modern Thor comics as good or similar to this in tone/art/story?

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By HaveAtThee

Jason Aaron is fusing elements of the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby runs as well as the Walt Simonson and Dan Jurgens runs. He's adding his own twist by making the story very high-concept with the three phases of time as well as the almost horror-film tone with all the butchering of gods. Very, very inventive way to tell a Thor story. If you're looking for the marquee Thor stories, I'll give you my list as to the best ones.

1. Walt Simonson Omnibus- Universally regarded, for good reason, as THE standard-bearer of runs on Thor. Helped elevate Thor to one of Marvel's most iconic characters.

2. Stan Lee/Jack Kirby- Like Aaron and Ribic, Lee and Kirby created phenomenal concepts and took Thor through time and space and back to Earth. Created a whole pantheon of Marvel stories with excellent characters like Loki, Sif and the Warriors Three. Jack Kirby's designs and attention to detail were unmatched.

3. Dan Jurgens/John Romita Jr.- Look for "Thor vol. 2" and you'll find Dan Jurgens' excellent run on the character. His first main artist was John Romita Jr., and since the end of the Simonson run, Jurgens' take on Thor has been very highly regarded. If you like seeing an older Thor, Jurgens takes Thor to when he becomes the Rune King and Lord of Asgard.

4. J. Michael Straczynski/Olivier Coipel/Djurdevic- This is "Thor vol. 3" when Thor returned in 2007 (he "died" in 2004 at the end of Jurgens' run). Coipel's art is excellent as was his redesign of Thor's outfit with the chainmail. JMS' characterization of Thor as a "princely" or more regal character was very interesting. Many claim his run is the best since Simonson but I wouldn't. Still pretty great nonetheless. He helped Thor make a splash and established him as a major powerhouse again. Sadly, his run was never really concluded as he left after about 12-14 issues.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Binski: It's a lot out of that out there, which is the reason there are a huge number of threads about the character. Just to enlighten you about the character you can go to some of the threads aqnd check out various post and scans, as well as rant by people such as myself. Thor has and always be one of my favorite characters, I grew up on him. You are definately in the right place if you wanna learn more about the character. This may help you're curiosity about the character. Don't confuse this Thor(616 universe ) with the Ultimate Universe Thor (1610) there is a difference, in which I'll let you determine! There are battle Threads and argument about the two!http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/cav-616-thor-vs-ultimate-thor/736817/ my post= http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/616-thor-vs-ultimate-thor/736465/#193 Hope this helps!

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Pyrogram

@Binski:What he > @HaveAtThee: said is all the matters, Do not get too involved with ultimate Thor just now, He is nowhere near as good as as much history, stick to getting a good base knowledge on the stronger main stream Thor and once you understand enough about him go onto ultimate like I recently have. It gives you a better understanding of him.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Pyrogram said:

@Binski:What he > @HaveAtThee: said is all the matters, Do not get too involved with ultimate Thor just now, He is nowhere near as good as as much history, stick to getting a good base knowledge on the stronger main stream Thor and once you understand enough about him go onto ultimate like I recently have. It gives you a better understanding of him.

Agreed!

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Binski

looks and sounds good thanks everyone,

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Loki9876

J. Michael Strazinsky run perfect also you gotta see how cool Loki is.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.