Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8593 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor god of the storm not just thunder

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By arthurkerr

Why is it people think that all Thor can do is call lightning and high winds. He is so much more then that.

He controls the powers of the storm he calls any part of a storm he wishes.

Why farmers prayed to him I am sure it was not to be struck by lightning.

"Look hon the crops are not growing yodel a bit , then woncha pray to Thor to be struck by lightning"

I mean no.

Why do they cheapen him so much even writers tend to under sell Thor?

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It makes it easier for their writers to tell a story with a big, strong guy who can shoot lightning bolts and fly.

There is definitely a lack of quality, credible villains these days as well since Marvel has been hell bent on deconstructing the superhero with "shades of grey." It's become harder to give powerful characters (of which there are many) credible threats, especially since the line between hero and villain has become so blurred in comic book fantasy. They're trying too hard, in my opinion, to mirror reality. I can see that method with more street-level characters, but with guys like Thor all it does is strip away many of the elements that makes him so compelling.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By arthurkerr

@haveatthee said:

It makes it easier for their writers to tell a story with a big, strong guy who can shoot lightning bolts and fly.

There is definitely a lack of quality, credible villains these days as well since Marvel has been hell bent on deconstructing the superhero with "shades of grey." It's become harder to give powerful characters (of which there are many) credible threats, especially since the line between hero and villain has become so blurred in comic book fantasy. They're trying too hard, in my opinion, to mirror reality. I can see that method with more street-level characters, but with guys like Thor all it does is strip away many of the elements that makes him so compelling.

I have to agree, I mean what made Thor last through the ages is not his ability to see how he is like us. Thor has inspired people with just the opposite. His ability to weather the storm( No pun intended) His huge support cast (I do not speak of Jane) Loki (Not evil Loki) Odin , Balder the brave and Sif and Amora (I heard Amara was the closest to his Second wife the one that had his kids) So you see you have so much to work off of.

The 9 realms itself has a plethora of story idea's just waiting to be tapped and used to fuel even the hulk and Thor and Hyporon one I did not like but he kind of grew on me lol. So what are they waiting on? I mean just how hard can it be?

They need to stop the Pc stories and just tell good stories and if the theme may fall into a area of gray so be it. That we can deal with.

The 9 realms await our exploration, I mean Odin has been doing it for years. Lets see what he has been doing all these years. Who has he pretended to be. Would be a great story to find out Odin was really Hawkeye just keeping and eye on Thor. Pretending to be week when really he is a very hard hitter.

So much they could do and that is just with the Thor world alone.

I wonder just what they will do. All roads lead to Amber lol , (great books) I like the saying will use it here All roads lead to Asgard , makes you wonder whom will walk the road and see the sights? Will they find a writer that will have us say, I have to buy that book , I have to know who is on the road to the golden Realm?

All the 9 realms opened wide and the traveler (Odin) challenges the sons (Thor , Loki , Balder , and the one whom stands on the bridge) To seek adventure in the world beyond.

That would be a peace force I would love to read.

Talk about Avengers you have a group and they have not even left Asgard.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is it people think that all Thor can do is call lightning and high winds. He is so much more then that.

"Look hon the crops are not growing yodel a bit , then woncha pray to Thor to be struck by lightning"

I mean no.

Dude, you write some of the most hilarious and entertaining posts on the Vine, lol! Yep, I guess it was farming failures praying for Thor to put them out of their misery!

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr said:

I mean no.

Dude, you write some of the most hilarious and entertaining posts on the Vine, lol! Yep, I guess it was farming failures praying for Thor to put them out of their misery!

thanks I do try lol hell you made me laugh I needed that today. Thanks

Kavma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that version of gaea being his mother real?

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By arthurkerr
    kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kavma: Gaea has been Thor's mother for a long time

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

"THUNDER" sounds so much more badass.

"I am THOR the god of (the) storm" or "I am THOR the God of Thunder"

The Thunder quote sounds so much better.

I don't think they cheapen THOR at all. Plus marvel already has a "storm" character.

Kavma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical said:
    @arthurkerr said:

I mean no.

thanks I do try lol hell you made me laugh I needed that today. Thanks

Glad to be of service, sometimes it's just little things like that which make all the difference.

Anyway, interesting you brought this up as just a few days ago I was thinking something similar, that people unfamiliar with Thor upon hearing he's "god of thunder" may think all he does is shoot lightning and make a lot of noise and thus discount his other abilities. Though I do have to agree with @thorson that "god of thunder" is way more bad@ss than "god of the storm" or "god of meteorological phenomena".

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He controls rain, wind, thunder and lightning also can control the earth and tectonic plates. This applies to all planets not just earth. Can also call down heavenly fire that burns in space. Storm is honestly nothing compared to the god of Thunder

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus said:

He controls rain, wind, thunder and lightning also can control the earth and tectonic plates. This applies to all planets not just earth. Can also call down heavenly fire that burns in space. Storm is honestly nothing compared to the god of Thunder

I agree not in the same league at all. Thor is bigger better bolder. Storm needs to get rid of that hair thing and join the rest of the world wasup with that lol. Still think she is cool just lose the hair thing lol.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Asgaard
    Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr: one time thor and storm fought and thor beasted her with the weather iirc lol

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus said:

@rpgesus said:

@arthurkerr: one time thor and storm fought and thor beasted her with the weather iirc lol

Well... Storm Knows That...

No Caption Provided

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By butterflykyss

Thor is nothing without mjolnir. Storm doesn't need a tool to make weather (and she can more than manipulate weather she controls the energy that governs the weather) and I don't see many scans if any without him hammer.

funny how Storm is not even a part of this thread but she manages to come up.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Asgaard

Thor is nothing without mjolnir. Storm doesn't need a tool to make weather (and she can more than manipulate weather she controls the energy that governs the weather) and I don't see many scans if any without him hammer.

funny how Storm is not even a part of this thread but she manages to come up.

Isn't time yet to know that Thor born and will die as the God of Thunder? And the hammer doesn't have any influence in that?

No Caption Provided

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: hmmm... I guess it's impressive that he made lightning in a pocket on the moon without his hammer. Get back to me when he controls solar wind on a global scale or channels the energies of a billion stars without the aid of his hammer.

Fact is thor is a god of weather, Storm powers goes beyond just the. Trying to prop thor up while discrediting storm doesn't make sense as their powers work completely different.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HaveAtThee

@butterflykyss: Thor's power is innate. Being the son of the elder goddess Gaea, he was born with his elemental powers. He channels his power through Mjolnir, but certainly can use them without it. And, yes, he can manipulate the elements of Earth on a planetary scale.

Their powers do work differently and originate from different sources, but there's no denying that the power of Thor > the power of Storm.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By butterflykyss

@haveatthee: but why does that need to be said to prop up a person who is a god? Storm is a superHUMAN. It goes without saying.

also can he even fly without his hammer? We can talk about power and he does have that buy storm clearly has more skill.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss:

My Fearless (Valkyrie vs Storm) post content fits the topic, and you probably knew that Thor powers don't come from the hammer so this discussion is pointless, should we antagonize each other? Because i have nothing against Storm in fact i like her more than the other X-Men due to her interactions with Thor in the past...

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss: Thor can fly without the hammer just like storm, with wind. And Thor has created lightning in space, which should be impossible. And has created solar winds so powerful that it pushed his viking boat along at light speed through space.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss I'm not trying to crap on Storm. She's a cool character and powerful in her own right.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss: yeah, I didn't get the impression anyone was slamming Storm, she gets a fair amount of respect on the Thor boards actually, though when you start a post with "Thor is nothing without Mjolnir" expect people to get a little defensive.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@butterflykyss:

My Fearless (Valkyrie vs Storm) post content fits the topic, and you probably knew that Thor powers don't come from the hammer so this discussion is pointless, should we antagonize each other? Because i have nothing against Storm in fact i like her more than the other X-Men due to her interactions with Thor in the past...

I wouldn't have asked if I knew. I haven't seen many showings of him he had this ability without his hammer.

@jay_z94said:

@butterflykyss: Thor can fly without the hammer just like storm, with wind. And Thor has created lightning in space, which should be impossible. And has created solar winds so powerful that it pushed his viking boat along at light speed through space.

When has thor flown without his hammer? Can u provide scan?

@butterflykyss: yeah, I didn't get the impression anyone was slamming Storm, she gets a fair amount of respect on the Thor boards actually, though when you start a post with "Thor is nothing without Mjolnir" expect people to get a little defensive.

Ummm I didn't have any problem with what was being said until I saw some post storm is nothing in comparison to thor. Go back and reread I wasn't posting this for the sake of being a b! Tch

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss:

you are right some quotes were unnecessary for the thread, and in the fight with Valkyrie Storm said " i hold my own"...

There are several demonstrations of his born powers without the hammer. (The previous and this panel were in 2014 comics)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical said:

Ummm I didn't have any problem with what was being said until I saw some post storm is nothing in comparison to thor. Go back and reread I wasn't posting this for the sake of being a b! Tch

Well, it goes both ways, as I already mentioned, you did start with saying "Thor is nothing without Mjolnir" so call it a wash and we can all move on. ;)

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: thank you for the clarification about thor and his powers and also acknowledging the quotes that were mentioned about storm

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'm sure this would apply to Thor since Thena the Storm goddess who has the same powers as Thor is potrayed like this by Marvel writers:

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.