Thor ??? And why the hell the Hulk is stronger than him.

Posted by Nelomaxwell (10361 posts) - - Show Bio

This has been puzzling me for sometime. Thor is a God, and the Hulk is an allegory for Frankenstein and the Atomic Bomb. How is it then that Thor a technically celestial force is weaker than the Hulk a man made force? This doesn't make any sense to me. I just can't wrap my head around it. I wonder if anyone else has thought about this.

#1 Posted by warlock360 (27927 posts) - - Show Bio

Current Thor would obliterate Hulk so bad it ain't even funny.

#2 Posted by Devias (297 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nelomaxwell said:
" This has been puzzling me for sometime. Thor is a God, and the Hulk is an allegory for Frankenstein and the Atomic Bomb. How is it then that Thor a technically celestial force is weaker than the Hulk a man made force? This doesn't make any sense to me. I just can't wrap my head around it. I wonder if anyone else has thought about this. "
Species and heritage have nothing to do with strength. Thor simply has more feats than the Hulk.
#3 Posted by biggkeem89 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nelomaxwell said:
" This has been puzzling me for sometime. Thor is a God, and the Hulk is an allegory for Frankenstein and the Atomic Bomb. How is it then that Thor a technically celestial force is weaker than the Hulk a man made force? This doesn't make any sense to me. I just can't wrap my head around it. I wonder if anyone else has thought about this. "
Well, the thing is, being a "celestial force" doesn't mean the same thing in comics. The Hulk can best quite a few "gods", because the "gods" are more super powered beings than celestial forces. Secondly, while current Thor would beat Hulk bloody, Hulk has surpassed Thor in the past due to the fact that the Hulk has no upper limit for strength, while from what I have seem, Thor does and gets fatigued. The angrier the Hulk gets, the stronger he gets, and with his extremely efficient healing factor, it equals a being that the longer you fight him, the stronger he gets. Most of the time, instead of godblasting Hulk, Thor decides to use brute force, which only leaves Hulk getting stronger and stronger as Thor tires. The Hulk may have originated as a man-made monster, he is more. He is a creature of rage, and that rage makes him grow stronger.
#4 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to mention that there are different incarnations of the Hulk that even Thor would find daunting to combat.  Savage would be tough because he'd just get stronger and stronger. Gravage would be a cakewalk for Thor.  Mindless/Bannerless Hulk may prove to be a truly formidable foe for even an Asgardian since the human aspect of his  being is gone and he's just an entity of pure rage.  And don't even get me started on the Green Scar/Worldbreaker/World War/King Hulk incarnation.  Considering though that most recently Zeus did pound Hulk into dust though, maybe some writers are starting to come to their senses when talking of superhuman individuals taking on gods.  Who knows?  Like others have said before though, its for the simple fact that Thor has shown limits to his power through fatigue and exhaustion for why the Hulk is stronger with being able to get more powerful with heightened rage.

#5 Posted by JediXMan (29263 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Being a "god" is really nothing in comics. It's a title; nothing more. So don't think that just because he's a "god" means he's all powerful.
2. Hulk is stronger than Thor in terms of pure strength; that's it. Thor should beat Hulk in a fight (unless there's WIS, PIS, or CIS involved)

#6 Posted by Rick475069 (177 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus:  That showing for hulk was pathetic, but one of a few times her deserved the pounding he got.
#7 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rick475069: Exactly right. Agreed.
#8 Posted by SC (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel people simultaneously oversimplify this and overcomplicate it all the same. Characters abilities are dictated creatively, not bound by definitions used in their creation, when a character has a trait thats popular, that trait gets emphasized more and more, and might even become a selling point for the character. Progressive writers may even take to creatively enhanced or ignoring what they think, works, and doesn't work. 

Hulk originally was written to be, weaker than Thor, not weaker as in power, weaker as in strength. You'll find lots of people that might say otherwise, but Stan Lee has been quoted on this many times. Hulk could amp, so he could in strength catch up and even out around Thor's strength level. Of course like any good writer, Stan Lee was also quick to point out thats how he viewed the characters. He created the characters, still, he knows people and importantly writers have different ideas. Hulk of course got a lot more popular and big than Thor. Not just that, but his strength is one of the parts that sells Hulk, in fact if Marvel announced tomorrow, Hulk, is, and has only ever been its 10th strongest character, and everything officially Marvel, reflected that, then... well, Hulk's not the only person in the world thats going to be pissed off. Most peoples total lack of understanding and what infinity is, and just the fact that strength is his selling point and the fact that his catchphrases involve saying he is the strongest, all pretty much contribute to why many consider and view Hulk as stronger. Then you have writers that legitimately believe he is stronger. Some think Thor is, some think Sentry was, something Hulk is stronger than Superman, some don't. Its a tangled, drunken web of lies and confusion (its not really) 

You won't see Marvel make a hard declaration on this anyway, since why do that and lose money from readers, when they can be ambiguous and let those who give them money and think one thing, stand beside another fan giving them money who thinks the opposite. Thor has no known limit to his strength (in one context, and that would be the official Marvel line on the matter, context), and Hulk has some types of limits (like anger limits, what infinity is used, is reality warping involved, it would need to be, and the context here is logic, and because the narrative hasn't answered more than obvious problems that would arise, nor addressed the fact that its also touted other characters as having no limit, and the other obvious fact that in many technical ways humans don't really either, as in we hit a limit, then we can think of a solution in the same vein as a writer, since we won't actually have to apply the theory, as in Hulk we never actually have infinite strength), it just depends on the context, and for some reason people tend to forget that. Also Marvel's definition of god is different to how people project it often. 

Its a great point you make about definitions. Remember characters like Molecule Man are from man made science accidents as well, and he has power that dwarfs Galactus. Plus THor isn't powerful because he is a god,he is powerful because Stan Lee designed him to effectively be the most powerful superhero, and his logic as to why, was by making Thor a god, which sort of sounds like the same thing, but as it applies to the story, well its different. Plus conception and execution has a funny way of changing things up. 
#9 Posted by ripcurl (471 posts) - - Show Bio
@warlock360:
He couldn't even beat the Red Hulk. And Odin is alive now, so Thor doesn't command the Odin Force.
#10 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor isn't really 'a God' he gets his godpower from the Hammer and from the approval of his father Odin. The reason Hulk seems stronger, is because Hulk can amp himself up on anger...the longer the fight continues the stronger Hulk will become and Thor when he takes on Hulk is either too mad, too noble or too stupid to take him out easy with aerial attacks    
#11 Posted by Manchine (3859 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus said:
" Not to mention that there are different incarnations of the Hulk that even Thor would find daunting to combat.  Savage would be tough because he'd just get stronger and stronger. Gravage would be a cakewalk for Thor.  Mindless/Bannerless Hulk may prove to be a truly formidable foe for even an Asgardian since the human aspect of his  being is gone and he's just an entity of pure rage.  And don't even get me started on the Green Scar/Worldbreaker/World War/King Hulk incarnation.  Considering though that most recently Zeus did pound Hulk into dust though, maybe some writers are starting to come to their senses when talking of superhuman individuals taking on gods.  Who knows?  Like others have said before though, its for the simple fact that Thor has shown limits to his power through fatigue and exhaustion for why the Hulk is stronger with being able to get more powerful with heightened rage. "
Zeus is so far above Thor and Hulk its not even funny.
#12 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: That's well put. I like how you said that because it does make sense.

@Manchine: Oh of course. That is beyond argument in my opinion.
#13 Posted by Manchine (3859 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus said:
" @SC: That's well put. I like how you said that because it does make sense.

@Manchine: Oh of course. That is beyond argument in my opinion.
"
Just making sure.... plus some people might not think that.  =)
#14 Posted by Outside_85 (8012 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a  really simple explanation to it and that is that Hulk does not have an upper limit to how strong he can be, unlike Thor, despite being a god-like being, has limits. So if you cant knock him out or kill him, Hulk will just progressively grow stronger and more durable during a fight.

#15 Posted by Jazzitup (870 posts) - - Show Bio
@Outside_85 said:
"

There is a  really simple explanation to it and that is that Hulk does not have an upper limit to how strong he can be, unlike Thor, despite being a god-like being, has limits. So if you cant knock him out or kill him, Hulk will just progressively grow stronger and more durable during a fight.

"

unless he dies first :P
#16 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor has as much strength as plot needs him to, which usually has him much higher than the Hulk right off the bat.

#17 Edited by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

even though thor is a god it says on the marvel data bace that thor can lift up to and pass 100 tons and double that with mojnir pluss all the abilites mjolnir gives him.As for the hulk his strength is only limited by his rage so depending on how angry he is he can become even stronger than thor.But in past issues im sure thor has been more than a match for hulk with out mjonir
#18 Posted by vidarrodinson (137 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hulk has been amped up  to high.  If he really had no limit, he would be unbeatable by anyone.  They let  Zeus be an exception.  Him being a skyfather.  It's about sales or money.  Maybe Thor's newfound popularity will precede better Thor vs. Hulk results.
#19 Posted by midnightcitysky (1 posts) - - Show Bio

people keep saying thor is a god... wasn't it stated on the comics that the asgardians are just an alien race that the norsemen took to be gods? the norse gods are based on them, mythified. I could be wrong as retcons are like falling out of trees of late.

#20 Posted by NerdsFTW (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is stronger than Hulk at base level.

#21 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Normal Thor>>>Hulk at Base Levels

OdinForce Thor>>>>>>World War Hulk

Rune King Thor>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WorldBreaker Hulk

#22 Posted by NerdsFTW (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nelomaxwell: Hulk is not stronger than Thor. In Defenders #10:, Thor stalemated Hulk's strength for an entire hour(even though Hulk as getting stronger and stronger and was still unable to overpower Thor).

Plus, Thor's base level of strength(in the trillions of tons) is much higher than Hulk's base level of strength(80 tons).

Of course, this is in the comicbook universe, which has nothing to do with movies or cartoons.

#23 Edited by rowan1018 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hoboseid said:

Thor isn't really 'a God' he gets his godpower from the Hammer and from the approval of his father Odin. The reason Hulk seems stronger, is because Hulk can amp himself up on anger...the longer the fight continues the stronger Hulk will become and Thor when he takes on Hulk is either too mad, too noble or too stupid to take him out easy with aerial attacks

i would't say that he's nothing without his hammer

#24 Posted by lanebad6 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

Well one thing I don't understand about the hulk is how the hell does gamma radiation give you the power to get stronger as you get angrier. Stan lee said that thor was suppose to be a bigger/better to hulk. I don't understand it anymore, writers just think thor needs to get beat by some guy with anger management problems.

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24450 posts) - - Show Bio

Well according to the creators of both Hulk and (Marvel) Thor he and Hulk were intended to be pretty much physical equals but Thor was meant to always have the advantage in overall power.

#26 Posted by joshmightbe (24450 posts) - - Show Bio

@lanebad6 said:

Well one thing I don't understand about the hulk is how the hell does gamma radiation give you the power to get stronger as you get angrier. Stan lee said that thor was suppose to be a bigger/better to hulk. I don't understand it anymore, writers just think thor needs to get beat by some guy with anger management problems.

How do cosmic rays make a guy super stretchy, how does a radioactive spider fundamentally alter a teenagers dna to give him its abilities, how does our yellow sun turn an alien in to a god like being? The fact is none of this crap would actually happen, the only mutation cosmic, gamma or what ever generic form of radiation that made spidey would give you is called cancer.

#27 Posted by Enyalios (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@midnightcitysky: No, it was not stated that the Asgardians (or any other pantheon in the Marvel universe) were aliens. That was something that was put into the Earth X series of comics, which played around with the origins of just about everyone. The deities in the Marvel universe are the descendants of Gaea and, through her, the Demiurge, the manifestation of life for Earth. She and her siblings were the first gods, and she was the only one who did not become a demon. Much later her children would become the progenitors of all the pantheons on earth. Thor has a much deep connection with her than most gods since she is his mother and not just an ancestor, which is why he is physically the strongest and potentially the most powerful of all the Asgardians.

#28 Posted by God_Spawn (37142 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause Hulk has grown to be stronger than Thor. Hulk's strength grows and grows in fights while Thor's stays the same unless he goes Warrior's Madness.

#29 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8728 posts) - - Show Bio

Because most Marvel writers either:

1-Hate mythical beings subconsciously

or

2-Don't know how to write mythical beings

#30 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10361 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach said:

Because most Marvel writers either:

1-Hate mythical beings subconsciously

or

2-Don't know how to write mythical beings

Agreed.

#31 Edited by TheGodofThunder (578 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read AvX#11 yet, but a friend of mine who has said captain was pretty much pleading to hulk to help them. I hope he's exaggerating because that's insanely stupid. Thor can kill glory, crack the skull of a celestial defeat a serpent that encircles the entire globe but he can't even TOUCH a 1/5 pf cyclops. PIS. PIS I say and the only way to combat PIS is with PIS. That's why they need hulk cause that's his entire powerset.

#32 Posted by SC (12505 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGodofThunder said:

I haven't read AvX#11 yet, but a friend of mine who has said captain was pretty much pleading to hulk to help them. I hope he's exaggerating because that's insanely stupid. Thor can kill glory, crack the skull of a celestial defeat a serpent that encircles the entire globe but he can't even TOUCH a 1/5 pf cyclops. PIS. PIS I say and the only way to combat PIS is with PIS. That's why they need hulk cause that's his entire powerset.

Captain America does plead to Hulk to help against the X-Men, but I didn't read it as a slight to Thor. More so Captain America is calling on as many allies as he can (although conveniently calling on the aid that was in a certain blockbuster movie released this past summer, as there are hundreds of characters many could name as allies Cap could have called up additionally, maybe even the Eternals? Get Thor to bring in a bunch of Asgardians too?) So yeah, but thats just my take on it. Its in Thor's character to already be helping out in a situation like this and Hulk to be the outsider who needs to be asked by Cap to signal some sort of moment for both Cap and Hulk.   
#33 Posted by TheGodofThunder (578 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC: Yeah, I have to admit I am a touch sensitive about thor, haha. I just get tired of the PIS that is hulk. Like you said, there are plenty of heroes he could call on before hulk.

#34 Posted by antinatalistaggie (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk writers don't even believe that he has "limitless anger/strength", if that were true then Hulk would have continued to grow angrier and angrier at his inability to lift the 150 billion ton mountain before finally hurling the massive thing into outer space out of pure rage, so no, Hulk has a limit, the mountain feat proved it.

By the way, Thor has lifted over 105 sextillion tons (16 planet earths), until Hulk has surpassed that, the strength debate is no debate at all.

#35 Edited by Sinfulplayerx (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Do the math. Hulk: Applying force to the space-time structure itself to prevent the Defenders from being absorbed into a fissure (Defenders #3)(with the size of the singularity estimated in about seven feets according to the Schwarzschild radius, then it's mass/gravitational attraction, by the equivalence principle, is thus equivalent to roughly two hundreds Earths), However in the end stop being a hater. Thor and Hulk are both awesome characters. It doesn't really matter in the end. Just read the comics and enjoy the story. Speaking of which who's excited for Thor God of Thunder #1 coming out on Wed!!!

#36 Posted by antinatalistaggie (32 posts) - - Show Bio

So he squeezed a fissure shut? Hmm, sounds like he was in a much better position to exert strength as opposed to lifting an object by the end of a pole. A scan of him performing that would be nice to see.

#37 Posted by Sinfulplayerx (193 posts) - - Show Bio

confucious says..... worry less who is stronger or more powerful......... enjoy more the battles of legendary warriors who kick ass and are awesome in it's self personified. If Thor and Hulk are your teammates, then if you are the bad guy, you are gonna cry like a bish.

#38 Posted by THORSON (2300 posts) - - Show Bio

because of fanboys.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.