Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor and Thanos in Marvel Infinity

• 76 results
    Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

After reading Issue 4, I'm wondering, Is Thor gonna be the one to take down Thanos? It certainly won't be Black Bolt, that's for sure! Could he do the job, or will he take a kicking as the top level Marvel heroes usually do when faced with the grinning titan?

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Why would Thor solo thanos? he's not THAT powerful i think, since he alone couldn't take out Starbrand. It seems like Thanos has got some real upgrades to legitimise his rep as being the big bad for Marvel, so my guess is it'll require the full avengers roster to take him down in the final battle. But even then they have Captain Universe, Starbrand, nightmask, ex nihilo and his sister... maybe those four are enough?

I just realised how op the Avengers roster is.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why would Thor solo thanos? he's not THAT powerful i think, since he alone couldn't take out Starbrand. It seems like Thanos has got some real upgrades to legitimise his rep as being the big bad for Marvel, so my guess is it'll require the full avengers roster to take him down in the final battle. But even then they have Captain Universe, Starbrand, nightmask, ex nihilo and his sister... maybe those four are enough?

who?]

and the whole marvel universe are avengers .. avengers are lame cause marvel writers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is very powerful but Thanos is THE BIG BAD of the marvel universe.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually Thor is for the record and has one shot him in the past. I'm not sure if he will solo, but Thor will receive a lot of push since he has an upcoming movie!

@baberaham_lincoln said:

who?]

and the whole marvel universe are avengers .. avengers are lame cause marvel writers

Hater's gonna hate! Avengers Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!! For Odin for Asgard ,mortal!!!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By cameron83

Overpowered?

Not really.

We don't really know the limits or extent of Captain Universe,Starbrand,Nightmask,or Ex Nihilo's powers. In fact,besides Starbrand,we don't even know any one of their powers.

ESPECIALLY not Abyss. Besides Telepathy,we don't even know what she can do.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If Thor does take down Thanos I'm pretty sure he is going to at least have 2 other powerhouses alongside him like what happened with Starlord and Nova when they first defeated Thanos

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Thor does take down Thanos I'm pretty sure he is going to at least have 2 other powerhouses alongside him like what happened with Starlord and Nova when they first defeated Thanos

Agreed!

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I don't think so. He would need A LOT OF BACKUP, The Odin Force or hit him with a God Blast (very unlikely to happen)

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubt it would be Thor since they already gave him that big moment in issue 4. From the preview to issue 6 Thanos & Hulk have an encounter at least but Hulk doesnt come out of it very well from what we see. Dont know if there is more to it than that. Otherwise I predict its either going to be

• a group effort
    • Starbrand steps up and does something
    • or maybe Thane takes down his father

Or Thanos may even get away at the last minute - they do have to keep him as a prominent villain for the next few years it seems (until Avengers 3 comes out).

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, my guess it's a group effort. Thor will get some good shots in as the heavy-hitters will be needed for this battle, but some combination of Hulk, Thor, Hyperion and perhaps Starbrand will dogpile on Thanos.

Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: Well i remembered that one panel where starbrand single handedly destroyed a fleet in avengers or infinity...i think? and for captain universe (in the most recent infinity book), i also remembered that she just demolished the builders without any effort haha. For Ex-Nihilo and Abyss, very right point you make good sir. Can't really judge their powers since we haven't really seen them in a full-fledged brawl.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol at Thor beating Thanos alone...that's not gonna happen....He will probably job against someone from Thanos's Black Order...That's his thing and he excels at it...

I just hope that the story goes the same way as Infinity Gauntlet or The End ( Thanos kills the avengers and will lose somehow only because he himself provides the means for his defeat)...I just wish Starlin would write Thanos again because he is the only one who gets the character...

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor has defeated Thanos in the past fairly (and like-wise for Thanos) but I don't think this will be the case here. There are so many top tiers involved and like Fifthchild said, Thor had his moment. My guess, Thane or Starbrand will finish him off but Thor would get a few good hits

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol at Thor beating Thanos alone...that's not gonna happen....He will probably job against someone from Thanos's Black Order...That's his thing and he excels at it...

I just hope that the story goes the same way as Infinity Gauntlet or The End ( Thanos kills the avengers and will lose somehow only because he himself provides the means for his defeat)...I just wish Starlin would write Thanos again because he is the only one who gets the character...

Really? I hope Thanos goes home with a mouthful of broken teeth like in Avengers Assemble.

Starlin infamously pushed the character prettty hard but even he wouldnt have had Thanos defeat the current Avengers roster without a cosmic cube or something.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos is a most formidable foe, but the current roster of Avengers should bring him down. Especially if he has no Infinity Gems or Cosmic Cube up his sleeve. It will be a hard fought victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mxyzptlk_CV

@mxyzptlk_cv said:

Really? I hope Thanos goes home with a mouthful of broken teeth like in Avengers Assemble.

Starlin infamously pushed the character prettty hard but even he wouldnt have had Thanos defeat the current Avengers roster without a cosmic cube or something.

Do you really want that PIS that happened in avengers assemble..I don't think so...Thanos doesn't need a cosmic cube or IG...He can beat the current roster easily because he is smarter than all of the avengers together...That's why Starlin wrote him best...The avengers were nothing to him most of the time...He didn't care for them...He had more important things to do than deal with something that's below him , like in this case, the Avengers...

LimboBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol

Thanos should mop the floor with him. Not even that he should mop the floor with hulk and hyperion too.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THOR can take Thanos, i hate when people say he can't.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Lvenger

It's most likely gonna be an Avengers dogpile that beats Thanos. Thor, Hulk, Starbrand and Hyperion ganging up on Thanos is what'll take him down eventually. This is a team event, not a solo one.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

It's most likely gonna be an Avengers dogpile that beats Thanos. Thor, Hulk, Starbrand and Hyperion ganging up on Thanos is what'll take him down eventually. This is a team event, not a solo one.

That's how I see it, although Thane might play a big part as well.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I actually think that his son,Thane, is going to take him down.He said himself that he was a healer and doesn't want any of this so it would probably be him with the help of the Avengers.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fifthchild said:

@mxyzptlk_cv said:

Do you really want that PIS that happened in avengers assemble..I don't think so...

I dont think it was "PIS" - it was more of a balance to the overblown impression that a lot of people seemed to have of the character's typical poratrayals and capabilities.

And yes - I'd love to see Thanos get smacked badly upside the head.

Thanos doesn't need a cosmic cube or IG...He can beat the current roster easily because he is smarter than all of the avengers together...

This isnt an IQ test. Its nice to be smart but its not always going to save you when a team of 8 or 9 superheavyweights and friends bust in on your lair. I imagine Steven Hawking would not make the most formidable Marvel villain...

That's why Starlin wrote him best...The avengers were nothing to him most of the time...He didn't care for them...He had more important things to do than deal with something that's below him , like in this case, the Avengers...

The Avengers were nothing to everyone most of the time. Marvel didnt care about them - only about Spiderman and the XMen.

Still Thanos fled from a line-up that was very cmparable in terms of power (Hulk, Drax, Thor, Surfer, Strange) to the current Avengers heavyhitters - attempting to avoid conflict by faking his own death and Thor and Hulk were able to physically manhandle a fighting mad Thanos in the same series - dragging him off the Silver Surfer. All written by Starlin.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

I actually think that his son,Thane, is going to take him down.He said himself that he was a healer and doesn't want any of this so it would probably be him with the help of the Avengers.

Yep - a guy who can apparently bring death to others by touch/physical contact and a guy who is usually immune to death. I think its safe to say hes going to play a role - esp given how Thanos never learned of his son's capabilities in issue 5/Avengers.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mxyzptlk_cv said:

@fifthchild said:

@mxyzptlk_cv said:

Do you really want that PIS that happened in avengers assemble..I don't think so...

I dont think it was "PIS" - it was more of a balance to the overblown impression that a lot of people seemed to have of the character's typical poratrayals and capabilities.

And yes - I'd love to see Thanos get smacked badly upside the head.

Thanos doesn't need a cosmic cube or IG...He can beat the current roster easily because he is smarter than all of the avengers together...

This isnt an IQ test. Its nice to be smart but its not always going to save you when a team of 8 or 9 superheavyweights and friends bust in on your lair. I imagine Steven Hawking would not make the most formidable Marvel villain...

That's why Starlin wrote him best...The avengers were nothing to him most of the time...He didn't care for them...He had more important things to do than deal with something that's below him , like in this case, the Avengers...

The Avengers were nothing to everyone most of the time. Marvel didnt care about them - only about Spiderman and the XMen.

Still Thanos fled from a line-up that was very cmparable in terms of power (Hulk, Drax, Thor, Surfer, Strange) to the current Avengers heavyhitters - attempting to avoid conflict by faking his own death and Thor and Hulk were able to physically manhandle a fighting mad Thanos in the same series - dragging him off the Silver Surfer. All written by Starlin.

Ok...I read your points and I respect your opinion...That doesn't mean that I have to agree with them...

First of all, the avengers assemble storyline was literally garbage from start to finish and I won't comment any further...

To the "smarter than the avengers part" that I posted before, I don't think you quite got what I was trying to say...Thanos's strong point was always his intellect...That's why he managed to do all the impressive things he's done over the years...Thanos had always the upper hand in most of his stories and that was ok so...I don't think the heavyweigths of the avengers are going to concern him very much...

That's why I believe it will be his own son (Thane) who is going to defeat him...That's much closer to the past storylines he had (his own son is the one to defeat him...how tragic)...

The avengers already had their win against the builders...they don't need another one...Their role in infinity #6 should be to get beaten by Thanos to further undermine his power...I hope Hickmann doesn't pull a "Bendis" on this one...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lvenger

@lvenger said:

That's how I see it, although Thane might play a big part as well.

Ah of course, the new son of Thanos. His wild card powers activated might make an interesting counter to what Thanos can do.

Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: what the hell are his powers anyway? i'm talking about Thane, Thanos' son. Oh, and do you reckon Thane will join the Avengers... lol

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baberaham_lincoln: Apparently he's been a healer all his life to make up for being the son of someone who's caused so much death. Oh and when the Terrigan Bomb went off, I think he blew up a load of stuff when his powers manifested. I haven't been reading Infinity so I don't know the specifics but maybe @green_skaar can fill you in on what happened in that instance.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HaveAtThee

Hawkeye, Spider Man and Wolverine will actually be the ones to do it. Oh and Cap too.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@baberaham_lincoln: Apparently he's been a healer all his life to make up for being the son of someone who's caused so much death. Oh and when the Terrigan Bomb went off, I think he blew up a load of stuff when his powers manifested. I haven't been reading Infinity so I don't know the specifics but maybe @green_skaar can fill you in on what happened in that instance.

Sorry just caught this shout out, my notifications don't work :(

You are correct, the Terrigan Bomb caused all dormant Inhumans to manifest their powers. Since Thanos's son, Thane, was an Inhuman, he was included. His "power" wasn't exactly specified, but everyone around him died instantly. Thane was given armour that holds his power back until he physically touches someone. Let me know if anyone wants scans.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry just caught this shout out, my notifications don't work :(

MINE NEITHER !!!

Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@green_skaar: Cheers dude for clearing this up! i was wondering why he turned from a human to purple thing, then skeletons were all around him... lol

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Speaking of witch what are Thanes powers ?

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

According to Ebony Maw "ability to instantly change the every...economics of existence." What exactly that means, not sure, but we do know every one around him (not in a force field) died.

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lvenger

@z3ro180 said:

According to Ebony Maw "ability to instantly change the every...economics of existence." What exactly that means, not sure, but we do know every one around him (not in a force field) died.

No Caption Provided

This I guess are Thane's powers.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This makes me thing Thane might get in an unexpected shot

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dayvid3 said:
    No Caption Provided

This makes me thing Thane might get in an unexpected shot

Was thinking same thing....Thanos is not expecting his son to have a death tough and might be in for a rude awakening!

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@green_skaar: Ugh I hope not, the foreshadowing is...well it isn't even a shadow really. Plus I want Thanos to win

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanos will win in issue 4

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dayvid3 said:

@green_skaar: Ugh I hope not, the foreshadowing is...well it isn't even a shadow really. Plus I want Thanos to win

I don't think Thanos will die, but it's obvious he's going to be gone at the end of this event. My guess is some combination of his son and the returning avengers will cause him to leave. That will lead into the next event, the thousands? of new Inhumans around the globe!

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By green_skaar

thanos will win in issue 4

Issue 5 came out last week...do you mean 6?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hyped for issue 6. It's supposed to be extra large.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am,too!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@wolverine08 said:

I am,too!

I hope Jonathan Hickman close it out well. He's had 5 issues of great progression, now we need an awe inspiring finale!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83 said:

@wolverine08 said:

I am,too!

I hope Jonathan Hickman close it out well. He's had 5 issues of great progression, now we need an awe inspiring finale!

Agreed. I am just saddened that this is ending.....

Thurdazz1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Thurdazz1313

I agree , I don't think they'll have Thor do it solo even though he did defeat him solo before, after a battle w/Mangog , Thanos was amped by a cosmic object, Thor Defeated him with the God Blast. As far as Thor taken on Star brand we'll never really Know, Thor Took the brunt of Starbrands blast( Starbrand holding Back) Thor Hurt & knocked down Star brand(also Holding back)But they're both heroes & Avengers. Thanos is always powering up ,Improving Himself, Physically & mentally. But It being smart Thanos know who is a legitimate Threat, he sent his amped up zodiac in, In Avengers Assemble Because Earth was declared off limits by Galactic powers. he only got involved when he was going to lose his objective ,then he didn't go in & wipe the floor w/everyone He bought his time until he could gain control over the Hulk To sucker punch Thor the only real threat to him on that team, But even if he could gain control over the HulK , a second time(which I doubt ) the current roaster is to deep & could counter the hulk, Plus Captain America will have a plan in place, especially w/ his current resources(Avengers & Galactic Power Houses)Its one Thing for Thanos to appear ,But They know who, when, & where they're fighting

Remember the only reason Thanos came to Earth during Infinity was Because "The Earth has no Avengers", Thanos respects the Avengers as a legitimate threat.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Infinity is awesome, I love the galactic storylines, I'm also saddened is ending

On the right Thor God Blasts Thanos

On The Left Thor either uses The God Blast or his Purest Lightning(Which He used before against Mangog) in Mangog mouth to defeat him Then goes off to battle Thanos

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok...I read your points and I respect your opinion...That doesn't mean that I have to agree with them...

Of course not. Thanks anyway - its an all too rare pleasure to have a civil discourse even in the face of disagreement.

First of all, the avengers assemble storyline was literally garbage from start to finish and I won't comment any further...

Fair enough. I thought a lot of Starlin's stories were pretty terrible though but I still try not to ignore what happened in them as far as gauging a character like Thanos' abilities etc.

To the "smarter than the avengers part" that I posted before, I don't think you quite got what I was trying to say...Thanos's strong point was always his intellect...That's why he managed to do all the impressive things he's done over the years...Thanos had always the upper hand in most of his stories and that was ok so...I don't think the heavyweigths of the avengers are going to concern him very much...

I agree that the thing that makes Thanos so dangerous is his intellect more than anything else. In some ways I view him as the "Cosmic Batman" (or perhaps Dr Doom is more appropriate). And he has considerable raw power also.

I just think that intellect doesnt necessarily help you much in every fight. If you chose the battlefield, the circumstances, know the enemy etc its a huge advantage. Wars are won and lost on such things.

But if some super-powerful nut-case busts into your hideout while you are watching TV, or you are in a cage fight, its a lesser consideration IMO.

That's why I believe it will be his own son (Thane) who is going to defeat him...That's much closer to the past storylines he had (his own son is the one to defeat him...how tragic)...

Well yeah I think they've really set it up for the finishing blow at least to go to Thane - particularly since Thanos was conveniently interrupted just before he learnt what Thane's abilities were last issue.

The avengers already had their win against the builders...they don't need another one...Their role in infinity #6 should be to get beaten by Thanos to further undermine his power...I hope Hickmann doesn't pull a "Bendis" on this one...

OK - this is probably the biggest difference between us on this whole topic. For me The Avengers are very much the stars of the story. Thanos is not. If anything Thanos is there to make The Avengers look good when they eventually defeat him - not the other way round.

So the idea that The Avengers "already had their win" is very much not something that they agree with. I can understand that Thanos has picked up his fans here and there but I guess I dont see his power, reputation or respect as a storytelling priority. And our different feelings on that is probably why we both feel the way we do.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mxyzptlk_cv said:

Of course not. Thanks anyway - its an all too rare pleasure to have a civil discourse even in the face of disagreement.

Fair enough. I thought a lot of Starlin's stories were pretty terrible though but I still try not to ignore what happened in them as far as gauging a character like Thanos' abilities etc.

I agree that the thing that makes Thanos so dangerous is his intellect more than anything else. In some ways I view him as the "Cosmic Batman" (or perhaps Dr Doom is more appropriate). And he has considerable raw power also.

I just think that intellect doesnt necessarily help you much in every fight. If you chose the battlefield, the circumstances, know the enemy etc its a huge advantage. Wars are won and lost on such things.

But if some super-powerful nut-case busts into your hideout while you are watching TV, or you are in a cage fight, its a lesser consideration IMO.

Well yeah I think they've really set it up for the finishing blow at least to go to Thane - particularly since Thanos was conveniently interrupted just before he learnt what Thane's abilities were last issue.

OK - this is probably the biggest difference between us on this whole topic. For me The Avengers are very much the stars of the story. Thanos is not. If anything Thanos is there to make The Avengers look good when they eventually defeat him - not the other way round.

So the idea that The Avengers "already had their win" is very much not something that they agree with. I can understand that Thanos has picked up his fans here and there but I guess I dont see his power, reputation or respect as a storytelling priority. And our different feelings on that is probably why we both feel the way we do.

Yep...I think I finally got you point of view on this one thanks to your last comment...We seem to be rooting for different teams :P .

Avatar image for galactoseintolerant
    Galactoseintolerant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infinity has been a great and thought-provoking event and kudos to Hickman and co. for that, but it is also plagued by Marvel's editors' inconsistency in depicting the most powerful characters in its universe, and instead jobbing God-level characters out for the sake of the story. It's no longer fun to read anything regarding Thor except for the incredible "Thor: God of Thunder", which is the only marvel title Thor really should be appearing in since it generally deals with a god among gods, and Thor acts like a god there, and has a powerset worthy of a god. Moreover, if Marvel were writing Thor with even a fleeting ounce of respect for traditional mythology, the idea that he could be "killed", doesn't hold water. Gods are immortal, period, and in the unlikely event a god is defeated, it is only to return the god from the plane of existence he/she is in, to their original plane (i.e. Asgard, or Hel, and even when the latter, the God isn't truly wiped from existence). Marvel has done a hack job of inserting a god into the midst of more ordinary heroes, and Thor has suffered ludicrous and offensive defeats at the hands of Bendis and his ilk (http://www.comicvine.com/thor/4005-2268/forums/what-does-the-current-staff-of-marvel-have-against-592287/). I'm not a fanboy, but just find inconsistent usage of the character's powers frustrating and thus can't relate as well to stories involving Thor where he isn't written well. For example, in Infinity 5, Thor travels by spaceship with the other Avengers, something he doesn't need to do, as many of the other Avengers on that ship don't need to do either, and it just comes across as silly. Thor written at his full potential should be a match even for post Cancerverse overpowered Thanos, and he has a vast array of possible powers that, if cleverly used in combination, would be able to at least check whatever Thanos can throw at him. The idea that the combined might of Hulk, Thor, all the Avengers, plus the new big guns (Hyperion, Captain Universe, Starbrand, etc) couldn't defeat Thanos and the Cull Obsidian, means Thanos is being written on a power level of Galactus plus a Celestial or two - which is ridiculous. Perhaps continuity should just be thrown overboard all together, since Marvel's shown time and again, that they're only concerned with the story, not making sense of it. [Oh, and where are all Earth's (and the universe's) supervillains in this? You'd think they wouldn't want big Purps busting up their funhouse and would get in on the action too - enemy of my enemy is my friend style.]

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.